Home General
Options

New to the forum? Introduce yourself!

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Welcome @2wheelsntattos4life. I would encourage you to stick with the pipe. The learning curve is a little intimidating, but worth the effort.
  • Options
    @2wheelsntattos4life -- Welcome to our pipe smoking brotherhood. 

We look forward to your participation and contributions. If you have any questions about the site, pipes, or tobacco, just ask anyone on TPL and they will help you find the answer. 

Also, avail yourself of the FREE PIPE SMOKING LIBRARY folder. Leave word there what you want and I'll post it for your downloading convenience.

Again, glad to have you join us!!!!

Meanwhile, take a look at the attached .pdf

• Options
    edited December 2018
    New to TPL. Thanks for all the warm welcomes. When exactly do the free pipe accessories get sent out?  At the end of each month?  Trying to win a free pouch . Common' . Thanks everybody .Tried sipping on my pipes the last couple of days and it has drastically helped with the tongue bite.  Plus, I've stayed away from cherry, and aromatics.  😁👍
  • Options
    @2wheelsntattos4life

In my opinion, if you stay away from aromatics you will miss out on a lot of GREAT smokes. Having said that be selective. Although cherry flavored tobaccos are often "bitey", there are several that get my endorsement and that are in my cellar. Cult Blood Red Moon is a very good Cherry Aromatic that behaves very nicely if respected and treated with a slow cadence. And, I don't think you could do better than Lane Dark Red. This blend is one of my personal favorites, and really shines in a corn cob pipe. I have never had any bite issues with the LDR.  My final comment is relative to Pallidan Black Cherry . I think this much like the old Sutliff Mixture 79 is much maligned by most pipers. Now I don't particularly like the Mixture 79 which I think is more of a "Lakeland" type tobacco, but I do like the Palladin offering. If smoked slow will not burn your mouth and will taste very good. A lot of comments I have read compare the flavor to Cherry Cough Drops which again, if treated properly does not remind me of the Smith Brothers at all.

The Pallidan will treat you right if you do the same. Now a real surprise: Try mixing the Palladin with a nice Burley Blend (my favorite is Carter Hall) approximately 50/50 as a base line. You can then adjust the proportions accordingly later on if you like the mix and smoke it again. This presents a very good tasting smoke, slightly reducing the sharper cherry notes while adding the cocoa and nutty notes of the Carter Hall. OK, finally, I have mixed my cherry tobaccos mentioned here with Sutliff Chocolate Mousse which results (at least to me) in a smoke that tastes exactly like a chocolate covered cherry. I have gotten multiple comments on that one by those around me.

The last two commented on "mixes" are part of what I refer to as "Frankenblends". Also as I have mentioned in many past comments, this to me is one of the most creative and fun things we can do in this hobby.

Branch out and explore..........
  • Options
    @2wheelsntattos4life
    When it comes to learning how to "taste" the tobacco, I liken it to tasting the different flavors in coffee, whiskey and wine. It takes time, experience and testing.
    Example: When most people drink coffee they just taste coffee. So, there is no difference between Yuban, McDonalds, Dunkin' Donuts or a custom roasted single-sourced bean from Guatemala. To some people, they all taste like coffee: Some strong. Some weak. However, distinguishing the different flavor profiles requires the development of your palate. For example, with enough coffee tasting, you can learn to detect the stone fruit (peach, plum, apricot) notes in beans harvested in Central America vs. a blended coffee from a bulk roaster.
    The same is true for whiskey and wine. With a trained palate, you can pick up the subtle nuances in each glass. On top of that, much like coffee, I have learned that different sized glasses, pairing the alcohols with different meals, engaging my nose, and then slowing down my pace and rolling the drinks around my tongue have each taught me to discern the different notes in each alcohol. Again, to others, cheap blended scotch whiskey is their daily drink and simple red/white wine is good enough for them.
    The same is true with tobacco. Engaging your nose in the tin, in the pipe and by the smoke in the room will enhance the flavors of the tobacco. As some have said, slowing your smoke and enjoying the pipe will also open up flavors at the beginning, middle and end of the pipe. Tasting through different tobaccos (English, Oriental, Virgina, Burley, Aromatics) will also open your flavor palate. Lastly, different pipes will create different flavors. Some pipes burn hot (cooking the tobacco) and some burn very slow and cool (opening up the flavors).
    All this to say, take your time. Taste, try and compare tobaccos and pipes. Keep a notebook and you may find one pipe performs well and another pipe is just a horrible smoker.
    Lastly, it's okay if you don't love the flavors and just like a good old fashioned blend. Remember: $4 bottles of wine have won awards, many people loved blended coffees from fast-food chains and you will find people on this forum that smoke the same simple blend that they have enjoyed for many many years. That is the beauty of this forum. There are smokers throughout the spectrum who have their favorites.
    Stick with it. The flavors will come. (Take a look at this post I wrote about English blends and how they helped me develop my current love for Virginia tobaccos).

• Options
    Love seeing all the great discussions! @2wheelsntattos4life welcome! And looks like you're getting some great info! So thorough from the commmunity members, all I can do is say... +1 to all that they are saying! haha
  • Options
    @2wheelsntattos4life - Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information has already been passed on to you. Let me add a few things.

1. If you can find it, buy a pouch or two of Carter Hall. It's one of the famous old drugstore blends (drugstore blend is a blend which could always be found in drugstores until drugstores stopped selling pipe tobacco about five or six years ago.) It's a very mild aromatic that is a good tobacco to learn with.

2. Taste and smell is different for each of us. What some people rave about being the greatest tobacco in the world, others find to be a terrible smoke. We all have different tastebuds, likes and dislikes. I like Latakia and Perique tobacco for example. A lot of people don't.

3.. Mixture 79 is a very polarizing tobacco that I haven't smoked since the 1970s. In my opinion, it has a very strong Lakeland aftertaste, by this I mean, it leaves a soapy, old-lady perfume taste. Most good Lakeland blends has the same slightly soapy, floral taste but it doesn't linger or cling to my tongue like Mixture 79.

4. When considering what tobacco to buy, refer to tobaccoreviews.com for information. Type the name of the tobacco in the search field and you will find reviews by a number of pipe smokers. Just remember what I said earlier. Everyone is different.

And now for a little self promotion. I have a blog wherein I write mostly about pipes and pipe tobacco but do sometime veer off into other subjects. You can find it at pappyjoesblog.com

• Options
    Welcome @2wheelsntattos4life!  I hope you enjoy the hobby and stick with it during the initial learning curve. I do not have much to add on what others have posted, great advice Guys. Definitely check out YouTube. It will help. Also, the pipe is a great solo hobby, but I always enjoy it more with people. Try to find other smokers or just head to your local tobacconist to meet new friends and get advice. 
    Finally, as for the free swag, I think it may be fake news. To my knowledge, no one has posted about winning anything recently. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited December 2018
  • Options
    @2wheelsntattos4life - Maybe Leonard can expound further on the free swag. My understanding is that TPL is no longer able to do the free giveaways because of the FDA regs. Last time they gave anything out was early 2017 if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe @2wheelsntattos4life @ChaplainCorey
    I just won a Stanwell leather single pipe zippered pouch last week and forgot to post it. I'll post a picture later. So, it's still a thing.
  • Options
    Welcome @Ketchup57, @roadking, @Okeeheedee, and @CaptainD. I look forward to your first posts. This is a great forum. Please let us know if you have any questions.
  • Options
    Welcome to all the new members!
  • Options
    Welcome @2wheelsntattos4life , you've come to the right forum. I can't add anything more to the great advice that's on here. All I'll add is that there are great aromatics out there, and don't be afraid to pick up a few cobs for trying out new blends.
  • Options
    @pieyedpiper,  welcome to the forum. I'm happy you decided to try something new and give this a go. There is a great group of people here so just dig in. I too am honored to write you here.  I look forward to learning more about your experiences. Please stick around and share with us. 
  • Options
    Welcome @Jar41972, @shawnwoodcook1971, @Strathmore31, @mwkpuck, and @dentdavid. I look forward to your first post. This is a great place to ask any questions you may have. 
    Again, welcome.
  • Options
    Hello everyone I'm new to this page iv been smoking pipes for 11 years now an came across this website an signed up to check it out an meet other pipe smokers  :)
  • Options
    @Stogie300 -- Welcome! We look forward to your participation. If you have any questions about the site, pipes, or tobacco, just ask anyone on TPL and they will help you find the answer. Also, avail yourself of the FREE PIPE SMOKING LIBRARY folder. Leave word there of what you want and I'll post it there for your downloading convenience.

And again, glad to have you join us!!!!

• Options
    @motie2 ok sounds good thank you 😎
  • Options
    Welcome @Stogie300. I hope you jump in and get aquainted. This is a great forum with super members. 
    Welcome!
  • Options
    Thank you @pipeman83 an thank you @Danfriedman 😎 
  • Options
    Welcome to the forums @Stogie300 !
  • Options
    Name: Matt
    Time Smoking a Pipe: 10 years
  • Options

@Foundationdetailing

Indeed, welcome to our little fraternity. Questions? Need help? Ask anyone; we're a friendly bunch. 

Also, check out the FREE PIPE SMOKING LIBRARY folder which I curate (?).  

Our resident "expert-amongst-experts" is @PappyJoe. Check out his blog, at  https://pappyjoesblog.com/ 

There are quite a few others with specialized areas of pipe and tobacco expertise, but you'll ffigure out who they are pretty easily as you browse the folders.

And again: WELCOME!!!!

• Options
    Welcome everyone to a new year on TPL :) 
  • Options
    Welcome @Foundationdetailing . I hope you jump in and get acquainted. This is a great forum with super members. 
    Welcome!