Home General
Options

New to the forum? Introduce yourself!

Comments

• Options
    @pieyedpiper - I’m interested in which pipes you still have? I have only one of my grandpa’s pipes. All the rest he actually wrapped in a bag and sheet rocked into the wall of their back porch in an effort to stop smoking. Pretty extreme measure, but it worked. If we ever tear down that porch I have first dibs on those pipes!
  • Options
    @jfreedy - You know you can always replace the sheetrock?

• Options
    DerekJDerekJ Enthusiast
    Howdy all!  Heard about TPL from the Country Squire podcast. I've been an on again off again pipe smoker for years, but recently I have really come to enjoy pipe smoking and the finer points of tobacco.  I love my Peterson pipes, but I have a few workhorse pipes that are just the ticket for mowing the yard or putting up Christmas lights as I did the other day.  Can't say I have a favorite tobacco, there's just too many excellent blends; currently I'd have to say Jolly Old St Nick from C&D, Rivendel from the Country Squire, and Orient Express also from C&D.  My go-to tabak while working is Prince Albert, not a particularly inspired choice but I developed a taste for it while in the Air Force and its just a nice all around smoke.  I'm out here in the Texas panhandle and it almost seems like I'm the only pipe smoker for a hundred miles. There's only one tobacconist here and the selection for pipe smokers is meager, hope to learn more and gain some briar camaraderie here.     
  • Options
    @DerekJ welcome to our band of pipe smoking brothers. Have questions? Just ask and someone will help you. Also check out the FREE PIPE SMOKING LIBRARY folder. We look forward to your contributions to our discussions.
  • Options
    mostly smoked sir walter or prince albert back in the day but I did smoke some george washington on occasion.
    when you live on a farm there are not many choices in a small town
    I used to chew tobacco every now and then just for change of pace
  • Options
    A very warm welcome, @pieyedpiper  It's an honor to have you join us here.
  • Options
    @DerekJ Welcome to the pack.
  • Options
    A hearty and warm welcome to @pieyedpiper and @DerekJ . We're glad to have you both.
  • Options
    Welcome @DerekJ. I hope you find this forum as enjoyable and informative as I have. I would encourage you to jump in and get involved.
  • Options
    DerekJDerekJ Enthusiast
    Glad to be aboard! 
  • Options
    Sorry. New at this. Just wanted to introduce myself 
  • Options
    Welcome @bluegrass! Good group of people here. Cheers!
  • Options
    @Bluegrass - Now that you're here, tell us about yourself. Where do you live, what pipes you have and what blends you like to smoke... those kind of things.
  • Options
    Welcome, @Bluegrass to our pipe smoking brotherhood. Questions? Need help? Ask anyone; we're a friendly bunch. Also, check out the FREE PIPE SMOKING LIBRARY folder which I curate (?). 

Our resident "expert-amongst-experts" is @PappyJoe. Check out his blog at  https://pappyjoesblog.com/ 

There are quite a few other members with specialized areas of pipe and tobacco expertise, but you'll find them pretty easily as you browse the forum folders.

And again: WELCOME!!!!

• Options
    Welcome @Bluegrass, glad to have you with us. I hope you get involved in the Forum.
  • Options
    Greetings from the Last Frontier!!!  Been a hobbyist pipe smoker for over 20 years and recently acquired the bug of buying old estate pipes and its all smoke from there on.... I look forward to reading through the forum and seeing what my fellow pipe smokers are up to.   
  • Options
    DanfriedmanDanfriedman Master
    edited December 2018
    Welcome @piper49er. I would encourage you to jump in and get involved. You will find this to be a fun and informative forum.
  • Options
    Yes, indeed, welcome @piper49er to our pipe smoking brotherhood. We look forward to your participation.
  • Options
    Welcome new members!
  • Options
    Hey @piper49er glad you are here.
  • Options
    Welcome to all of our newcomers. To @pieyedpiper it’s an honor to have someone from our Greatest Generation here with us. I’m a young chaplain recently back from a deployment with the 82nd Airborne Division. I love those boys but they don’t hold a candle to our WW2 vets. 
    Welcome @DerekJ @piper49er and @Bluegrass
  • Options
    Hello . I'm new to TPL as of yesterday . My name is Dave . I've been smoking pipe since 12/15/18 .I purchased my first pipe at Sweetbriar Smokeshop in Columbus, GA. It is a Missouri Meerschaum legend .Thanks for the welcome into the pipe smoking community .

One question to start off with.... Why have I gotten a bad taste in my mouth like it's completely burned . Also have gotten raised bumps, taste buds, on my tongue . When I smoke I really can't enjoy the flavors of the tobacco???  Thanks in advance for all the advice you can give .
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    edited December 2018
    Hello, @2wheelsntattos4life - Great to have you on the forum! What you're experiencing is called tongue bite, and everyone who smokes a pipe has experienced this at one time or another (most often when learning to smoke a pipe). The great thing is that it's totally avoidable with a little knowledge and practice. Several factors play into this. Typically, the main culprits are the type of tobacco (typically over the counter and super sweet aromatic blends) and the draw (amount of air you're sucking through the pipe). Most cherry blends tend to bite a little. Often times Virginia blends will also bite if puffed too aggressively. 

I'd encourage you to let your tobacco dry a little before smoking it. Maybe lay out some to dry a few hours before loading it into your pipe. Also, learning to pack the tobacco correctly will really help (search YouTube for loading a pipe... many methods out there). When you light it, puff hard enough to get it started, but then puff on it gently afterwards... just enough to keep the bowl lit. It's okay if it goes out. Just re-light and keep going. Even most seasoned pipe smokers will need to re-light several times during a bowl. If the tobacco won't stay lit or starts tasting too "ashy" then just dump it out and re-load.

It's the heat of the burning tobacco that's "biting" your tongue. So heat management is key. Puff gently, tamp often (but barely touch the tobacco) & re-light when needed. The MM Legend is a great classic corncob and should smoke well. You might try smoking it without the filter. You'll be able to puff gentler with less resistance. I mention tamping... you can use a golf tee or large nail or even chapstick lid if you don't have a tamp. Again, gently tamping to keep the tobacco together while burning will really help you keep the bowl lit. Did I mention to tamp it GENTLY?!! :wink:

Here's a good article with much more detail on tongue bite.

Good luck and keep asking questions. We're all happy to help!! Merry Christmas!
  • Options
    Thanks @jfreedy . Merry Christmas to y'all
  • Options
    @2wheelsntattos4life

Dave
    Welcome, and jfeedy gave you the key to success in "this pipe life" that we share. The fact is there is a wealth of info on the computer, on You Tube, or any number of pipe smoking websites. Just one word of caution, DO NOT get discouraged if it takes you a bit of time to master the "art and science" of pipe smoking. I agree that initially you should stay away from cherry tobaccos, they do have a tendency to bite and perhaps turn you off to the pipe. Whatever you smoke, learn to "sip" once you have the pipe lit. Not only does this turn the temperature down in he bowl, but you will find tastes and aromas that will not be noticible if you are running a steam boiler. It takes patience but well worth the effort..

Before you know it, with a little patience, and a little education, you will be smoking like a many year pipe smoking champ.

Merry Christmas to you, and just ask anytime you have a question. There are a ton of guys here who have smoked for years and are very happy to keep the "habit or lifestyle" alive and well.