Home Tobacco Talk
Options

What are you guys smoking right Now?

Comments

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited April 2023
    John Dengler Pirate's Chest (a local B&M blend located in St. Charles, MO.) In a MM Charlestowne..
    FYI: this blend has a quality combination of 1-Q, RLP-6 and LL-7...

• Options
    @Whoispra
    It’s a big ol’ pipe.  I have chamfered the tenon, and it smokes much better now.  I still got some moisture in the stem, but the tobacco may have been a bit wet.  My SH Natural Professor and my SH Natural Squire and Kinsale XL15 (SH Squire) smoke much better.
  • Options
    It's been a long but fast day. I've had two pipes filled with GLP Charring Cross and another with GH DVC, all cobs of course! We had neighbors over for dinner and we all stuffed ourselves with pulled pork, roasted potatoes and corn nibblets. Some of us managed to fit in a piece of pineapple upside down cake for dessert and now that our guests are gone I'm sitting back in my wing chair with Kensington in an MM Rob Roy. 
  • Options
    @Balisong
    Now that’s a menu I can wrap my tastebuds around😋
  • Options
    Trying two new blends from Kohlhase & Kopp (Germany). Blue Caribbean Graham & Blue Caribbean Seegar.

Graham: Sugar cane and highly aromatic coconuts dominate in this tobacco blend. A sweet-tart blackberry aroma is masterfully accompanied by the sweetness of cane sugar. A hint of nut underlines the aromas of the Burley, while Virginia Cube Cuts ensure a cool burn. Black and Brown Cavendish complete this highly aromatic.

Seegar: 
    Golden Virginia, brown and black Black Cavendish form the framework of »Caribbean Blue« Seegar. A creamy aroma of tonka beans is accompanied by light citrus notes. A shot of rum and a hint of caramel make your palate dance calypso.

And if that wasn't enough, a pinch of Latakia has been added. Don't worry, this is perfectly integrated and gives the whole thing a wonderfully spicy kick.

• Options
    @PappyJoe
    They both sound pretty tasty, but especially the Graham.
  • Options
    I'm still processing the part where it "make your palate dance calypso" 
  • Options
    @mapletop
    Creative writing. But not from me, that was the translation from a German website.

@RockyMountainBriar
    I just smoked both blends in clay pipes. Neither of them were disappointing. I think I like the Graham more than Seegar after one bowl of each. 

Having actually chewed on sugar cane (We used to peel the sugar cane and chew the pulp as candy when I was a kid.) I can say I actually thought of sugar cane when lighting the Graham and the first couple of puffs. Then the coconut would sneak in and say "Here I am." I'm not sure I got the blackberry though.

I like the Seegar as well. Don't know about the citrus notes but I did pick up on the caramel/vanilla (which comes from the Tonka beans) and the rum. They used a light touch when adding the latakia as it was there as a complement to the other flavors.

I can see maybe buying more of both blends in the future.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    This is a little Peterson Killarney 221 that was in a lot with the Peterson Great Explorers Collection Crean that I wanted.  I got both pipes for $80 several years ago.  This little guy was brand new in the box👍🏻  The way I figure it, this 221 was free.  This is the maiden voyage with some MacBaren Golden Brown Burley London Blend from the 2021 L.E.  This tobacco smells like chocolate covered cherries and has a cocoa taste as well.  It’s not supposed to have any casing though?  I did chamfer the tenon, drill the airway to 4mm, remove the nasty bowl coating and the underlying stain the coating was covering before loading and sparking it up.
  • Options
    I'm satisfying my sweet tooth with GH DVC in a Rob Roy and a Woodchuck Hard Cider before bedtime. My wife helped, she just brought me an orange cranberry muffin fresh from the oven!
  • Options
    @opipeman
    I had one of those Amphora X-tra 729 Dublin’s several years ago.  I sold it on EBay, not that it was a bad pipe, but was made bad with the bowl coating. I got it in an EBay auction lot of pipes.  It was in a group that was “professionally “ refurbished.  I bought them when I was a newb and didn’t have a handle on what to look for, or look out for, in an estate pipe.  The person had coated all four pipe bowls with “waterglass”, that crap was rock hard……um…..like glass🤔.  It was a terrible wet smoker.  I thought I could make a little cashola on it if I sold it, and the others, which I did.  I got rid of the whole lot because of the “waterglass”, that stuff does not remove easily.  I did keep the nice suede zippered Amphora pipe pouch though.  It works great to keep a loaded pipe, a few pipe cleaners, a tamper and a wind-cap or bowl stopper conveniently in a pocket.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar; @KA9FFJ;
    That's a shame. I've never heard of "waterglass". I have two of the Amphora pouches and use them a lot. I've been smoking the Dublin for days now and I'm so glad it didn't sell. What can I say, must be the luck of the Irish.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    The ONLY thing that has ever worked for me concerning "waterglass" coatings is taking a good sized dowel rod slightly less the size of the bowl. I then rounded one end to match as closely as possible the bottom contour of the bowl. 
    Then took some 60 to 120 grit sandpaper and cut it slightly taller than the bowl height, then cut it to allow a single wrap around the dowel rod.
    Before wrapping the sandpaper around the rod, cut about 3 or 4 1/4" snips evenly spaced at one end, then wrap the sandpaper around the dowel with the snipped end covering the tapered end of the rod. It will then closely conform to the bottom of the bowl.
    Place it in the bowl and "go to town" turning it over and over until your happy with the results.
    It will take most, if not all of that nasty coating off, at least enough that you can easily start forming your own cake.
    That's what has worked for me in the past...
    🤞🏻
  • Options
    Doing some Sutliff Honey & Chocolate in a noname pipe I recieved from a brother here at TPL...
    NOTE: the blend was set out for 48 hours before jarring. It is now a very pleasant smoke...

• Options
    @RockyMountainBriar

I had a second bowl of the Graham in a briar this time.
    I have to say, I'm liking it. This time I took a draw on the loaded pipe before lighting and the blackberry came through and was noticeable for most of the smoke. I think I just didn't recognize it when smoking it in the clay. The coconut kept making showing up also. 

• Options
    I'm on my last pipeful of GLP Westminster, it was just enough to fill an MM Boone. Tomorrow Drucquer Levant will take it's place on the tobacco bar. 
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I dug out another pipe I refurbished years ago for it’s first post-refurb break-in smoke.  It’s a little Big Ben Ranger pocket pipe and I am smoking it with the stinger in place, so far so good.  It’s loaded this evening with some C&D “THE BEAST”, great stuff.  Myself, I am getting loaded with some Ta-kill-ya 1800 Reposado in preparation for Cinco de Mayo….that’s “Fifth of May” for for those that may not know any Spanish😬
  • Options
    Smoking some Rattray,s Red Rapparee in a bent apple Molina, while reclined on a lizard skin Barkerlounger with magic fingers.
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ;
    That's a sweet looking pipe. That TPL Brother has excellent taste.
  • Options
    Just finished turning over the garden and raking. 
    Now it's time for some Frankenblend in an old reworked Darby prince I use as one of my "workhorse" pipes...

• Options
    I finished a cob of GLP Kensington and I'm now smoking GLP Abingdon, it should be the last cob of the day.