Home General
Options

Aromatic Smoker Only please....

Comments

• Options
    RottenRotten Newcomer
    We serious smokers tend to believe English blends are real tobacco, and aromatics are like training wheels.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Rotten -- I represent your remark, sir!!!! 

Actually, in my case it was the reverse: I smoked English blends and VaPers (mostly Balkan Sobranie and Cope's Escudo) from 1973 until the mid/late 1980's when I gave up smoking a pipe. I took up the pipe last summer and after trying a couple of blends with Latakia and Perique, I now I smoke only the heavily cased sweet stuff from Sutliff. 

Tastes vary.... and they change.  One man's floor sweepings is another man's Mrs. Hudson's.
  • Options
    Might be adding me to the Molto Dolce list, I am ordering some today so in the next week or two I will let you know but when I took the little test it came up as one I would like. 
    If you can't find it let me know, I found a source that has it. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Dude, everybody carries Molto Dolce; only the price varies.......
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Motie Sir, you guys talk about Molto Dolce so much that when I was putting together my latest shopping list I had to smile and add it. Not sure why other than it seemed the right thing to do to have on hand. Although sugar is something I distance myself from, I guess the occasion does arise occasionally where that blend is exactly what's called for. It does have the distinction of sounding like no other tobacco.

Aromatics to me are just as enjoyable as long as I keep them in the rotation. I find when I only smoke English or Va/Per blends the aromatics are tasteless. Inversely, when I only smoke aromatics the others seem harsh. Both impressions are false. But when I switch them up, I may dull my perception slightly, I can enjoy both which only enhances my pipe smoking experience. 

If I had to stick to only one type, Va/Pers would be my choice, but I don't have to choose. Lucky me!

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Philip -- I'll freely admit it: Molto Dolce is a highly cased, very sweet tasting and smelling, "candy-ass" tobacco. It's not my favorite (It lacks subtlety). I find it too much of a good thing. But I have discovered other blends in by Sutliff, flavored variously with maple, vanilla, raspberries, peaches, caramel, chocolate and other flavors. My favorites to date are Barbados Plantation (rum-flavored), Vanilla Custard, Creme Brulee, Maple Street, and the Molto Dolce. Mixing the maple blend with the MD proved to be a winning combination. The vanilla mixes well with everything.

Our resident aromatic tobacco sensei, @ghostsofpompeii, created the superb "Mrs. Hudson's 221B Bakery Blend," by combining three Sutliff blends (ask me for the recipe; it's the only way you can get to try it!) One component is Sutliff Creme Brulee. I'm looking forward to blending up a batch of Mrs. Hudson's, substituting Molto Dolce for the Creme Brulee, which many believe to be Molto Dolce in bulk rather than tinned.

Someday, I may turn to English blends and VaPers, but right now I love my sweet-smelling, sweet-tasting blends.
  • Options
    xDutchxxDutchx Master

Recently I was informed, that blends that contain Latakia are aromatics, and that the only pipe smokers who smoke non aromatics, are Virginia and Virginia Perique smokers.

Having said that, I would have to say that my favorite aromatic tobacco would be MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian, followed closely by Butera Pelican.

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    I would have to say, those are unquestionably aromatic, off the charts aromatic. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Barnyard aromatics, I'd say.......
  • Options
    i am glad that a lot of Sutliff blends are easy to find online, but the local stores don't seem to have much, not sure if it is because they always sell out or they just don't carry it.  Next time I am in the local shop I will ask if they can order some for me and how much it would cost. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Wolf41035 -- Just be glad you have a local B&M. <grumble, grumble>
  • Options
    @motie2 Yeah local is a 25-40 minute drive for me, the other locals around my area are just cigarette shops and have very little Pipe or Cigar stuff.  Used to have a nice Cigar place down the road (when I say down the road I mean next town down, I live in the country) but a new owner took over and I haven't been in since, want to go back and see how he is doing, I hear different reviews about him and how he runs the place.....

• Options
    @Rotten I'm strictly an aromatic smoker, and after 50 years of smoking I seriously consider myself an accomplished bike rider in no need of training wheels. But your opinion is expressed by a great many English and Va-Per pipe smokers so it's pointless to argue. Just agree to disagree. And thankfully we can all fit under the same tent. For those who smoke traditional English blends and non-aromatics it comparable to the man or woman who sits at the kitchen table and enjoys a great meat and potatoes main course. I prefer to think of myself as the pipe smoker who enjoys his tobacco more as the sweet dessert confections that follow a hearty meal. And so long as the tobacco is satisfying to our palate ... we're both happy. 
  • Options
    It really doesn't matter what you smoke, if your a pipe smoker ,your a friend and a brother.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Master
    ghostsofpompeii - Thank you for the suggestions.  I never thought of stacking so definitely worth trying.  Much appreciated!
  • Options
    I have to agree, if you smoke pipe or even Cigars your OK in my Book, If you smoke both like me then that is Cool.  Don't matter what kind of Tobacco in your Pipe or what kind of Cigars (to extent) as long as you enjoy what you smoke.
    Personally I love Aromatic Pipe Tobacco, some English blends, the ones that taste like campfire, Medium Cigars, Medium to Heavy Cigars and a couple Flavored cigars on  rare occasions. 
    I however don't like people who think only one type of Pipe Tobacco or Cigar is good and anyone else is a fool, that kind of attitude will be the downfall of all smokers.
  • Options
    Still haven't walked upon a fellow pipe smoker in my travels, but I did come upon two older gentlemen sitting on a bench smoking cigars as my wife and I were strolling through the Lake County Fairgrounds today. So I took the time to stop and chat with them, explaining that I was a pipe smoker ... pulled out my Big Ben Jade - and mentioned the fact that my wife and I walked there on a regular basis and never saw a pipe smoker once. One of the older gentlemen told me he once worked for the Tinder Box repairing pipes. And before a stroke which has left him with a bit of a tremble in his hands, said after the Tinder Box closed he continued working on pipe out of his home shop. We all chatted for a while - including my wife who found the old guys to be charming  - and it made for an enjoyable diversion from our customary walk through the fairgrounds. The magic that is tobacco brought us all together - four people that would otherwise have little in common. And for about 15 minutes we all chatted like old friends.   
  • Options
    Just have to love that Ghosts  Funny things can bring people together and everyone leaves happy that they talked to each other most of the time.  :)
  • Options
    Got my Sutliff Molto Dolce today, should have opened it and let it air but smoked some right away.  I like it but was expecting it to be sweeter and wetter from what people have said about it.  Good Aromatic and would buy more but I guess after all the hype I was expecting real sweet and sticky to the point I would have to let it dry a little first.  Granted it did take a couple lights to keep it going but was not half as bad as other Aromatics I have had in the past. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Wolf41035 -- Make up some Mrs. Hudson's 221B Bakery Blend for a really sweet smoke. (I've altered @ghostsofpompeii's original recipe, substituting Molto Dolce for the Creme Brulee, which is similar but not as good IMHO.)

Three parts (or 3 oz.) Sutliff Vanilla Custard

Two parts (or 2 oz.) Sutliff Chocolate Mousse
    One part (or 1 oz.) Sutliff Molto Dolce
    Optional: A pinch or two of (preferably dried out) Sutliff Irish Cream
    This blend is a delight and @ghostsofpompeii is a freakin' genius. I've tried mixing tobaccos and have never come near anything so enjoyable on every level: easy to light and keep lit, great taste, wonderful aroma (both for smoker and those in attendance), no bite, moist but not goopy dottle and bowl bottom, no negative ghosting. 
Thanks, Ghosts, for sharing the formula

• Options
    Still do not have everything.  Need some Creme Brulee and/or Sutliff Vanilla Custard and I have no Chocolate Mousse. I have the Molto Dolce and some CAO Eileen's Dream, maybe I will mix that and try it although I hate to ruin either but then again might be really good....lol 
  • Options
    Mixed some Dolce with Eileen's and it was GREAT.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Today was partly sunny. I had three bowls today: one a mix of Molto Dolce, Creme Brulee, and Maple Street; another of Barbados Plantation, and a third of Vanilla Custard. 
  • Options
    I had a crazy weekend, barely had time for a cigar Friday evening and Saturday evening and didn't smoke anything Sunday, going to sit out on porch today and have a couple Cigars and a couple bowls! 
    Have to catch up!  LMAO
  • Options
    As a quick update to my experimental blend Root Beer Float. Well after sitting in the jar for a couple of months the flavor has really come alive. I had a bowl earlier today while sitting in the sun - and the damn thing was pretty refreshing and definitely tasted like a genuine root beer float. I added enough sweet flavor extracts to send someone into a diabetic coma ... but after a little aging I'm finally happy with the end results. I'll really have to milk this batch and use it sparingly because with all the changes I made to the original recipe the final concoction is completely out of whack from what I jotted down in my notes. I couldn't duplicate this if I was held at gunpoint. 
  • Options
    OH Ghosts that is not good, always make extra notes, you might have to keep trying until you get it again.  lol
  • Options
    WintonWinton Master
    I usually load one pipe with an aromatic and another pipe with a Virginia blend. When one goes out, I light the other. 
  • Options

A couple of things; I think most smokers are non-exclusive, I enjoy English/Balkans but also enjoy VaPers and I'm often in the mood for an Aromatic as well.

All of us probably have some tins/blends that aren't our thing. Perhaps the tobaccos for trade discussion should be reinstated and checked more often so we don't loose sight of it.

If everyone is raving about a movie so much that you pretty much know what it's about, you don't enjoy the movie so much when you do see it. The same goes for a specific tobacco that there is a run on, try to get a sample first before you blow large bucks on it. Whenever I send in an order I also order an ounce or two of new stuff that catches my attention.

• Options
    Very smart @Woodsman I should by a sample amount first when possible although sometimes you can't find a sample or 1 oz.  that is when you have to read the description and reviews and take a chance on it or pass it up and hope you wouldn't have liked it.
     I do have the trading thread on here, not many people seem to want to use it but a couple of us have.  Maybe I could bump it up tonight and see if it takes off again??  lol
  • Options
    sorry typo I meant Buy, was typing one handed while eating a later dinner. 
    That will teach me!