Home General
Options

Aromatic Smoker Only please....

Comments

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    That's exactly right Mr. Pappy. You would think that gentleman who would clearly agree with those that love FDR would disparage them. But like his ilk, history began the day his precious self was born. 

The modern-day democrat would not approve of his cigarette smoking ways, no they wouldn't. To be fair General Eisenhower also smoked cigarettes but he was tough enough to power through seven heart attacks and still make time to sign the Civil Rights act of 1957. 
  • Options
    Changing the subject here, Ghosts I would love to get into your cellar, I love the Vanilla and now Chocolate blends along with most Aromatics.  lol  If I want to smoke something stronger I light up a Cigar which I have plenty of. 
  • Options
    @Wolf41035 I find that a nice dessert-like aromatic is the perfect alternative to a sweet after dinner pastry since I'm back on a weight loss kick. A good aromatic satisfies my sweet tooth and a couple of cups of coffee or tea can keep my belly full. That and enough bottle water to drown a fish.
  • Options
    Because of recommendations here I picked up a couple of ounces of Vanilla Custard last week.  I also came across a good deal on some Super Value Peach, a large 12 oz bag for somthing like $13 or $15.

The first bowl of vanilla custard smelled nice but I found it to be a very mild smoke.  Coincidentally, the first bowl of the Super Value Peach, also wonderful tin note, seemed milder than the bulk Sutliff Peach cobbler I'd come to love.

So, doin what any self respectin pipe smoker would do, I followed ya'lls example and filled my large Dunhill Pot with alternating layers of both.

The result?

A very nice vanilla custard peach smoke.  Something about the two together seemed to enhance the overall experience.

• Options
    I love stacking blends, and also usually limit it to three layers.
  • Options
    Yes smoking helps crave appetite especially these Aromatics.  Water is also good for you plus it doesn't change the taste if your smoking something new or doing a review. lol
    OH Stacking is great but don't stop at stacking, try mixing up a couple of blends, you might be shocked at what you get. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Wolf41035 -- Amen, brother. Our friend @ghostsofpompeii mixed three Sutliff blends together and came up with something greater than the sum of its parts: Mrs. Hudson's 221B Bakery blend. I'm gonna go smoke some on the veranda in a couple of minutes.
  • Options
    @motie2 that sounds good, hope you enjoy it!
    I am still mixing blends to find that one mix that tops all, I have made several blends and they are good (a couple bad) but I still have not found that one mix that says "holly Crap!" When I do find that mix I will share it with you guys.
  • Options
    Going to clear out my stash and go through it, if I haven't smoked it in a while it will be smoked this week or next, if I don't like it I will use it for mixing and see if I can get something better, if not it will go on my trade thread.
  • Options
    @Wolf41035 And don't forget you can also go way out on a limb and buy some of the inexpensive Watkins food grade flavoring and do some real experimental lab work. Just get yourself a nice sealed Tupperware container and add some vanilla, maple, anise, root beer, caramel, peppermint,  rum, or fruit flavored extracts to your tobacco and see what comes of it. It's all food grade flavoring so no matter what you dream up it shouldn't kill you. Then again remember, I'm no Doctor, so if you fall over dead after mixing a combination that proves lethal ... 
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Professor,
    The stacking you're referring to I heard called "layer caking", from an article I read on one of the Pipe Magazine websites (I won't attribute only because I'm not sure of the author). A term I'm sure you love, but wouldn't it be more accurate to call it a Tobacco Taco? You are stuffing junk down into a shell, sort of. I have not given this the attention it deserves. You may be in a position to decide the correct term or even coin one yourself. A Briar Burrito? A Smoky Sandwich? An Orlik Oreo? A Virginia Vol-au-vent? A Nicotine Neapolitan?

We are talking about distinct strata of different tobaccos right? No mixing or blending whatsoever? The closest I get are Bullseyes which are wonderful.
  • Options
    Let's talk Peach!

As I've stated here before, one of my guilty pleasures is to finish my evenings tobacco medley with a nice bowl or two of Sutliff Peach Cobbler in my designated Peach Pipe...  A Sweet Yello Bole Apple with an exquisitely thin saddle bit.  This pipe sings, especially with Peach Cobbler.

After the recommendation of Briarworks Peach Cobbler, here on TPL, I decided to add it to my recent order. 

Backing up a bit here, I seem to be on a bit of peach journey, having tried Lanes Peaches n Cream as well as Value Pipes Peach.  Although both of these blends had nice tin notes, they were noticeably weaker than the Sutliff Peach Cobler I've come to love.

So this evening I opened the small jar of Briarworks Peach Cobbler and gave it a good sniff.  The tin note was quite pleasant.  The initial light was great.  The peach flavor was there as well as a nice buttery finish with each puff.

Sadly, half way through the bowl the flavor was quite diminished.

After I finished the bowl, I set the pipe down and enjoyed a nice glass of Scotch.  Ya know, to cleanse the palate and all.  :)

Then I stoked er back up with a bowl of Sutliff's Peach Cobbler.  The tin note on this is fantastic.  The first light is wonderful.  Disappointingly, this one too diminishes in flavor about half way through the bowl, but still maintains it's peachiness to some degree.

I have to say for me, it's either a dead heat or a slight advantage to the Sutliff.  But then again, I often enjoy most blends more on the 2nd or 3rd bowl, after it's had a bit of time to dry out some.

• Options
    Seems to me Sutliff is the best of the flavored aromatics no matter what the flavor.
  • Options
    I'd have to agree with @Wolf41035 Sutliff has a way with aromatic blends. I don't know how good they are with non-aromatics and English blends but I haven't found a Sutliff aromatic I didn't like. There are some I prefer more than others ... but on the whole Sutliff is my go to source for aromatics.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii lets hope and pray the law doesn't make Sutliff close their doors, I think I will be stocking up on a lot of blends just because....lol 
  • Options
    @bonanzadriver - If you find the flavor diminishes after a half bowl of Peach Cobbler than I would load a half bowl of Sutliff Peach Cobbler and top it with a half bowl of Briarworks Peach Cobbler or vice versa. As the flavor diminishes from what's on top it might start picking up from what's on bottom.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Another vote for Sutliff aromatics: They're all I smoke.
  • Options
    PappyJoe,

I like the way you think!  :)
  • Options
    @Bonanzadriver you could also load something average on bottom and then your Peach on top, you get all the peach and them before it fades you go into another flavor without worrying about using all your good stuff.  Maybe you need a smaller shallow bowl?

• Options
    Thanks for the suggestion wolfie.

I love the pipe I use for my peach.  It's a great little Yello Bole Apple with the most exquisitely thin saddle bit.  It's been my Peach Pipe since if first tried Sutliff Peach Cobbler last year.

But I decided to go with your suggestion...  Sort of....

I started of with some Sutliff's Peach Cobbler and topped that off with the Briarworks Peach Cobbler.

I am smokin it now and it is holdin in there great.  :)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Master
    Does anyone have any successful blending ideas using Mixture 79?  I have about 2-3/4 pouches, short of tossing in the trash, that I do not know what to do with.  On it's own, it has to be the worst tobacco I have ever smoked. 

I do not want to blindly mix it with other tobaccos for fear of creating something even more grotesque then have even more waste to dispose of.  I recall discussing this blend in an other post sometime ago. 

I am leaning toward trashing the remainder of this awful stink-weed but thought it best to inquire about possible blending ideas.  Any ideas would be most appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'd recommend you offer it up for trade. 

Just as in the car bidness, there's a but for every seat...

With baccy, there's a pipe for every blend.

I'm amazed at some of the reviews of wonderful blend this or that and I find em either too mellow or too harsh or just plain yuck.

Just my $.02
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Charles -- I altogether support your leaning. 

Mixture 79 is another of life's mysteries. Maybe licorice (or anise?) flavored tobacco sells well enough to warrant its continued manufacture. Me? I don't like Latakia or Perique blends (this time around) but I understand them. They're comprehensible. Mixture 79, on the other hand, is incomprehensible, especially coming from Sutliff. But then again, "De gustibus.....".  I mean, if you, reading this, actually like Mixture 79, then, God bless!   

• Options
    @Charles I have a trade thread on here list it in there if you don't want it, better than throwing it away. First thought to me though is to take small amounts and mix with other small amounts of tobacco, that way if it is no good you don't waste much but if you find a good mixture you can increase the amounts of both.  Try pinches or use a scale, make just enough for one or two bowls.  Good luck
  • Options
    @charles - I would mix it with large amounts of heavy latakia blends that would overwhelm the flavor of the Mixture 79. 
  • Options
    Time for a guilty pleasure confession here...

When I first got back into smokin pipes, this past October, I saw several YTPC videos extolling the virtues and singing praises of Molto Dolce.

Being a curious soul I took the bait and ordered a tin.  Being as it was one of my few tobaccos at that time I went through the tin quicker than I do nowadays.  But, I'd left enough for 2 or 3 bowls in the tin for the last 3 or 4 months.

This past weekend I decided to replenish my dwindling tobacco reserves and made a pretty good sized order with Smoking Pipes.  P&C seemed to have half of my shopping cart on back order.  Besides, SP's prices were more in line than I've ever seen em.

So, I replenished my Match MM965 reserves with  1lb.  Same thing with my Sutliff Peach Cobbler.  Not to mention a couple tins of Elizabethan Mixture, Some Haunted Book Shop, BB 1938, Nightcap and others...

Where was I?

Oh yeah!

The Molto Dolce (inna mya besta Italiano accento).

I hadn't had any in several months, so I decided to get into the open tin I had on the shelf.  First observations were that, although drier than original, it was still noticeably more moist than what I usually smoke. 

I packed the bowl of my ol bent cutty and we were off to the races.

4 Char lights later and we had her goin good.  :-P

After that 4th char light......

https://youtu.be/IUZEtVbJT5c

Momma Mia ! That ah Molto Dolce was ah singin!

I know, I know, to some of you hard core VaPer Burley smokin Mens Men, it's just another gooperlicious aro.  But I gotta tell ya, that was one fine, flavorful, delightful, blissful smoke.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.......
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Bonanzadriver -- Both @ghostsofpompeii and I are fans of Molto Dolce, which is considered the flagship brand of Sutliff Private Stock tinned tobaccos. Some say that Sutliff Creme Brulee is the bulk form of MD, but I find the MD to be sweeter. I'm looking forward to substituting MD for the Creme Brulee in @ghostsofpompeii's magnum opus, "Mrs. Hudson's 221B Bakery Blend."

If you really liked Molto Dolce, may I recommend the Creme Brulee, the Vanilla Custard, and my favorite, Barbados Plantation (favorite, that is, behind Mrs. Hudson's which one has to blend oneself.)

In my first life with pipes I was all about Latakia and Perique; now I like the sweet, heavily cased stuff. Only a few folks call me a girlie-man as a result <grin>
  • Options
    Thanks motie.

Put me in the Lat camp.  My all time favorite smoke is MM965 followed closely by Margate & Frog Morton (original). 

As for the Aro's.....

I love Molto Dolce, Sutliff Peach Cobler, All blends of Black Cavendish.

I haven't tried the Creme Brulee yet.  Hope I like it, but I really never cared for the actual thing though.

Now, circlin back to ya'lls home grown concoctions?   I'm intrigued and look forward to tryin em out.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Interesting understanding of aromatic blends; one woman's POV.

The Wide World Of Aromatics
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 by Mary Walters
    mary.walters@smokingpipes.com

<<When most people think of aromatics, they often imagine the sweet scent of vanilla or caramel rising from their pipe and filling the room. While yes, quite a few blenders use caramel or vanilla in their mixtures, there's a whole world of aromatic tobaccos out there. Allow me to open the door to this world by breaking down the main types of aromatics popular today.

Lakeland Aromatics — Let's start with Lakeland aromatics. Named after a region in England and therefore being a traditional English style of aromatic, Lakeland blends are usually a mix of Virginias topped with spices, rum, and rose. This type of aromatic delivers a light and floral scent as well as a smooth and pleasant smoke. The most well-known producers of these types of tobaccos are Gawith & Hoggarth and Sam Gawith. Lakelands are fantastic blends but be warned, they are known to ghost pipes, so please make sure to designate a specific pipe for Lakelands.

Danish Aromatics — Next up is Danish style aromatics. These are usually Virginia-Burley blends topped with anything from fruit and spices to wine and nuts. They deliver a rich and full flavored smoke with a lovely room note. W.O. Larsen and Mac Baren are both excellent and have a variety of options to choose from. I absolutely love the Danish style aromatic but I would highly suggest taking it slow when smoking. Danish aromatics have the habit of being a bit bitey if smoked too quickly.

American Aromatics — Last but not least, American aromatics. These blends are mostly made up of Cavendish and Burleys and are usually topped with notes of caramel, chocolate, vanilla, honey, and rum. These mixtures are usually very, very mild and good for an all-day smoke. If you want something to satisfy your sweet tooth, go with an American style aromatic. Cornell & Diehl and Sutliff are both great places to start. My only advice with these blends would be to let them dry a little before you smoke. If too wet, they can get a bit goopy in the bowl.

So there you have it! The wonderful world of aromatics. Go forth and try some for yourself. You might find some blends you never thought you'd like! >>
  • Options

@Charles My experience with Mixture 79 is very similar to yours. I was intrigued to revisit the blend after watching a few videos from The Artful Codger who has a real affinity for the blend. But as I remembered it, the blend was too floral ... almost like potpourri. The surprise is the pouch note. I would imagine anything with an anise or licorice scent might appeal to me ... but the taste is nothing like the pouch note. So when I got the pouch a few months ago, it was as unpleasant as I first remembered it.

You might try trading as some suggest ... or you might try stacking the blend which is what I've ended up doing. I hate wasting money - but don't particularly like wasting my time smoking something that taste like a bouquet of roses. But I've found wedging it between two other blends can lessen that floral flavor. And as is the case when stacking blends - some experiments work better than others. 

I've pointed out on many occasions my dissatisfaction with English Latakia blends - but the one blend I do have in my cellar and smoke from time-to-time is Captain Black 'Black Sea'. My best experience at camouflaging the floral Lakeland taste of Mixture 79 was with a layered pipe concoction beginning with a bottom layer of Cater Hall. Next a layer of Mixture 79. And the top layer was a mixture of Black Sea with a pinch in blending Perique.

The smoke began with that strong smoky Latakia flavor I dislike ... like standing over a campfire and breathing in the smoke from the charred logs. But as the ember worked it's way to the Mixture 79 layer it seemed to mellow out the Latakia without accenting that floral flavor. Then the bottom layer of Carter Hall mellowed out the smoke to a satisfying conclusion.  Carter Hall is not a true heavily cased flavored aromatic but a very cool pleasant smoke, so as a closer it seemed to calm the whole layered blend down to a manageable level for even a non-English smoker as myself. The Latakia remained the dominant flavor throughout the bowl as expected, but at different levels of strength. And the Mixture 79 added a slightly nuanced flavor that's kind of hard to explain ... like tossing a handful of cedar chips into that burning campfire I mentioned earlier. Not necessarily something I'd highly recommend, or give the Ghosts Of Pompeii Seal Of Approval  ... but a large part of my enjoyment with pipe smoking as a hobby is the experimentation - and mixing and stacking blends is just one aspect. So a little stacking experiment is something to consider before tossing it in the trash.