Home Tobacco Talk
Options

The Loot! - What's your latest tobacco purchase?

Comments

• Options
    On the way home I stopped by the local discount cigarette and cigar store and picked up a can of Captain Black Classic. With things as unsettled as they are even staples may be hard to come by. A little insurance on the shelf isn't a bad thing these days. Who knows what this new Congress will do. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited October 2020
    Let’s start the controversy again!

I opine that RLP-6 is Captain Black White without the extra propylene glycol that keeps the Captain uh.... moist (yeah, that’s it: moist) as it sits on a shelf and sits, and sits. Furthermore, 1Q is CB Royal and TK-6 is CB Cherry. 
  • Options
    @motie2 If not correct, very close IMHO... 

• Options
    @motie2
    Sounds right to me, although I have not smoked either TK-6 or CB Cherry, so I can’t confirm or deny that one. 
  • Options
    Strange . . . I seem to like TK-6 better than I like CB Cherry.
  • Options
    @AnantaAndroscoggin

The general feeling is that the bulk versions ARE better than the OTC/drugstore/codger blends; less PG......
  • Options
    I don't have it yet but it has been shipped from https://watchcitycigar.com/

Two 50g tins of John Aylesbury Dragon Flake
    One 50g tin of Samuel Gawith "Firedance Flake
    and one 100g Tin of John Aylesbury Red
  • Options
    @PappyJoe
    The Firedance is tasty, I haven't tried the others.  Have you tried the Indigo yet? I don't recall seeing your impressions...but then again I'm losing my memory.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Come to think of it, no, I haven't opened the Indigo as of yet. I may do that later today.
  • Options
    BalisongBalisong Master
    edited October 2020
    I enjoy John Aylesbury Virginia flakes, both Classic and Sir John, but was unimpressed by their English.

Inspired by some honey blends I finished, I just got C&D Interlude and Manhattan Afternoon,  McConnell Ripe Honeydew, and 4th Generation 1931. To round things out, a couple of Captain Earles Krumble Kakes, Diamond Head and Stimulus Package. And then had to add some bulk English/Balken blends.
  • Options
    One 50g tin of Samuel Gawith's Fire Dance Flake
    two 50g tins of John Aylesbury Dragon Flake
    one 100g tin of John Aylesbury Red
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited November 2020
    Jeez Louise! How do you guys afford these big buys of tobacco? No, seriously, some of y’all make incredible purchases. This applies to pipes, too. Who can drop $100+ on a really fine pipe? I’m 74 and lived a nice middle class life, and there was no time when I even envisioned making apurchase like that. Are many of you wealthy? I mean, pardon me for asking, but perhaps I should be dressing more formally for pipe club on Friday nights. 😜
  • Options
    @mapletop
    Did you buy the Balkan Sasieni in bulk and if so can you share the source?
  • Options
    @motie2
    I told you, you need to devise a plan to be able to sneak around SWMBO...😏
  • Options

I've been stocking up on otc blends in case supply lines are disrupted. I've got a well aged tin of nightcap that is  coming to an end. Has anyone tried Peterson's new version of nightcap? I haven't cracked this tin until I finish the Dunhill. 
  • Options
    @motie2 While it might seem extravagant, in actuality I am quite parsimonious, I almost always shop the sales.
    In this instance P&C had their bulk sale last month but as usual they ran out of many blends, so when P&C sent me a discount code for my birthday I went and looked around and discovered they had restocked the Star of the East but was still pricing it at the sale price.
    You get their best price by buying a least 1LB and coupled with the additional birthday discount it was a good deal on that one tobacco. In fact I checked and it's still on sale.
    I also got a brand new Stanwell 246 last month for $39.00 because they (P&C) had put a note in the box from a previous order that said if I went to a particular P&C web address I could buy any brushed black Stanwell for $39.

@Balisong I did not buy it bulk from Cup of Joe's this time because I have been slowly amassing tins over the past 14-16 months when I see it on sale, I just finally realized I had enough to make a batch.
    That jar represents 5 tins of each type or 17.5 ozs. By the way I have noted your taste in tobacco and if you decide to try this blend I want to give you a piece of advice.
    The arrango balkan sobranie is a shag cut and does not mix well with anything unless you actually cut it, i use an ulu knife and a paper plate to cut up one tin at a time.

• Options
    @motie2
    No wife, more importantly, no ex-wife, no children, 1952 750 sq.ft. house with low fixed interest payment on a 15 year mortgage (half paid off), no gambling habit, old vehicles (paid off) with permanent license plates (no more yearly taxes), six block commute.  I can repair, build and maintain nearly anything myself.  I don’t party I don’t travel except for fishing, camping, or hunting within Montana only, and I make decent wages for Montana, average for the US (Not even close to six figures though).  Less now that the COVID shutdown caused me to take a 15% pay cut that I don’t foresee increasing anytime soon.  Oh, and no serious health issues (yet).
  • Options
    @motie2
    Sometimes its just the situations you find yourself in. About 20 years ago a switch flipped and we started making smarter financial decisions. My wife and I are both federal retirees and are also on social security now. Plus I'm also semi-retired from my advertising business and only have one client requiring about 3 hours of work a week. That business income allows me to make an occasional splurge purchase. But mostly I only buy a couple of tins every two or three months and rarely buy a new, unsmoked pipe unless I've set aside money specifically for that purpose.
  • Options
    @mapletop

The duck just came down when you used the “secret woid,” parsimonious.

Respect!
  • Options
    @motie2, @mapletop
    I have an idea, but now I’m going to have to look it up.  I need to learn something new today🙂
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice @mapletop! I did some research on Sasieni bulk and tobaccoreviews.com lists it only tinned. A post on PipesMagazine suggests the bulk is a different blend. Do you use Arango Balkan Supreme, or is the tinned version imported by Arango?
  • Options
    @Balisong I use tinned Arrango Balkan Sobranie which they do import from a British blender, at the moment I can't remember who.
    And the tinned Balkan Sasieni
  • Options
    @mapletop

As a former Sobranie fan, I’ve found Sasieni to be an acceptable stand-in. I like it, and unlike Sobranie, it’s readily available.
  • Options

I stopped in the local discount tobacco place to see what OTC brands they had. This and one other was it. I tried it last night and it wasn't bad. It is an unflavored burley / virginia Blend similar to Prince Albert. I think it was worth the $1.04 I paid.  :)
  • Options
  • Options
    @Ron191
    Sounds like a “Great Value”🙂