Home Tobacco Talk

What are you guys smoking right Now?

Comments

• @Zouave
    Cute, huh🙂. Small pipes are good for some tobaccos👍🏻
  • @Londy3

Three Balkans I can recommend despite being a primarily aromatic smoker:

Balkan Sasieni
    https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1068/scandinavian-tobacco-group-stg-balkan-sasieni
    H&H White Knight (a Balkan Sobranie tribute by master blender Russ Ouellette)
    https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/7995/hearth-home-whiteknight
    H&H Magnum Opus (a Balkan with Perique; Ouelette's best, according to Ouellette!)
    https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/4298/hearth-home-magnum-opus
  • @motie2
    Cool man. Thanks for the links. Maybe I will add some to my Christmas list 😁
  • To @motie2's list I'd add G. L. Pease Charring Cross and Odyssey along with G&H Balkan Mixture as my current favorites. 
  • BalisongBalisong Master
    edited November 2021
    Speaking of which I'm currently enjoying Balkan Mixture in an MM Pride. 
  • Barely got in 18 this morning before the bottom dropped out (near 20° drop).
    Relaxing now in my garage with some Sutliff County Cork in a restemmed Emerald MM cob...
    Life is good...
  • @Balisong

The pie rates a “Be still, my heart……”😛😋
  • @RockyMountainBriar

My intro into Latakia was Dunhill/Peterson Early Morning Pipe. I bought the tin by mistake and it collected dust for a couple of years. One morning I decided to try it and it became my main morning smoke. Now about 70% of what I smoke has Latakia. 
  • Speaking of Latakia today thr first pipe is full of G. L. Pease Charring Cross, Ethiopian Yirgacheffe cofee on th side.

• @Beetleman
    Before the pandemic, I used to buy two or three estate pipes a month from antique junk shops and restore them myself. At first I de-ghosted all the pipes using rock salt and grain alcohol but sometimes that didn't work as well and I would have to repeat it two or three times. It was also challenging to pick the salt in the bowl and fill it with alcohol without the liquid leaking out of the shank or stem.

Then I read about using used coffee grounds (fresh dry grounds doesn't work and why waste coffee). The method is easy. Scoop the grounds out of your coffeemaker or K-cup and pack it into the bowl. Let it set for 24 hours and then rinse all the grounds out under running water. It doesn't hurt the briar. 

For the airway, I usually just run pipe cleaners dipped in alcohol through the shank until it comes out clean enough. 
  • motie2motie2 Master
    edited November 2021
    Relevant details from past posts....

@PappyJoe’s Coffee Treatment  

"It's not something I invented but something I was learned from some older than me pipe smokers 20 or 30 years ago. Its an alternative to packing your bowl with rock salt and filling it with grain alcohol. Instead, you pack the bowl of the pipe you are cleaning with damp used coffee grounds and let it sit for 24 hours. "The PappyJoe (no joy) part is that I found that a used K-cup of unflavored coffee will fill most bowls with just a little left over.) "

"Not sure about the science behind it, but the theory is that the acid in the coffee ground will soften the cake and then the coffee will absorb the ghost of the old tobacco. It is double effective at sweetening a pipe if you do the salt/alcohol treatment first and then the coffee treatment. After 24 hours, you dump the grounds and wipe out the bowl. I also rinse out the bowl with running tap water and then let it dry for 24 hours. (Briar is wood. It won't absorb the running water and it won't hurt the pipe as long as you are not soaking the pipe in it.) "

"I have used the coffee grounds in meerschaum pipes also but skip the water rinse."

Salt and Alcohol Treatment

https://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_care/cleaning

<<A pipe, properly cared for, will probably outlast its owner. Occasionally, however, a pipe may begin to taste bitter or "sour." Sometimes this is caused by not allowing the pipe sufficient time to "rest" between smokes; other times, no cause can be determined with certainty. In any event, such a pipe can usually be rejuvenated by applying the "Professor's Pipe-Sweetening Treatment," publicized by Dennis Congos.

First, find some salt (non-iodized is preferred, but not essential), some alcohol (preferably "Everclear," or some other form of near-pure, non-denatured ethanol), and a place to rest your pipe in a semi-upright position. Insert a pipe cleaner into the stem of the pipe so that it extends into the shank. Fill the bowl to the rim with salt and drip or carefully pour alcohol into the bowl until the salt is just saturated. Try not to get any alcohol on the pipe's exterior, as this may damage the finish; any spills should be wiped up immediately. Leave the pipe alone for a day or two. After this time the salt will have turned brown from the absorption of "tars" from the bowl. Thoroughly clean all salt from the bowl and set the pipe aside overnight to dry completely. Your pipe will now be revitalized, and all traces of bitterness should be gone.

WARNING: Many people swear by this process, but the procedure is not risk-free. Some people have had pipes crack after this treatment, particularly when they allowed the salt and alcohol mixture to enter the pipe's shank and/or when they left the mixture in the pipe for several days. Any pipe with significant monetary or sentimental value should be sent to a professional pipe repair person.>>

VIDEO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8If9ml6HqI

• motie2motie2 Master
    edited November 2021
    @KA9FFJ

What are the two peach blends? I reckon one is the Sutlif Private Stock Taste of Summer. The other? I ask because my first bowlful in 1964 was Middleton John Rolfe Peach Brandy. Smelled nice. 
  • @motie2
    Tinderbox Peach Melba 
    Covington Peach Rhine Rag
        (buddies private blend)

• Ye Olde Sign in a bent egg.
  • We just finished dinner, duck breast and roasted butternut squash. For an after dinner smoke I'm enjoying BriarWorks Pete's Beard in an MM Pride, it has a depth of flavor that complements the duck.
  • Captain Bob's Blend in a MM Diplomat.
  • On a sunny but chilly morning I'm starting my piping day with Charring Cross accompanied by Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffee. 
  • A trip down memory lane. Anytime someone mentions Cherry blends, I reflect back to my younger years of pipe smoking.
    Back in the late 60s and early 70s, most of my pipe time was spent with Middleton's Cherry or Flying Dutchman. 
    Although this blend is not Middleton's, it is cherry. Hence the nostalgic trip...
    Doing some VG Cherry Cavendish in a RONA freehand sitter...

• After lunch I loaded a Davidoff Flake Medallion in an MM Morgan but didn't finish it before the wife picked me up to do errands. I packed some Balkan Mixture into another Morgan for the ride, now I'm switching back and forth while the chicken roasts. I'm not sure what smells better but I'm ready for the chicken chip, roasted neck skin!
  • @jfreedy Flake Medallions for  me is a nice middle of the road smoke, nothing to ponder,  nothing to dislike. That looks like the 313 you showed us last night. Did you modify the p-lip? 

Just sat down for a break with a bowl full of G&H Balkan Mixture in an MM Rob Roy.