Home General
Options

New to the forum? Introduce yourself!

Comments

• Options
    Monk70Monk70 Enthusiast
    Thanks for welcoming me! You guys seem like a pretty tight nit group and it shows with all of the welcoming to a new comer! I think I will enjoy this site. I have been restoring pipes since 2011. I am now in the process of setting up my shop for spring. I am just shy a few tools and if all goes as planed I should have everything turning soon. Like I had mentioned I have been restoring pipes since 2011 but just started making my own pipes (freehand) for a little while now. I have been  trying to absorb all the information I can and I am truly enjoying the hobby!
    ⚓️
  • Options
    @Monk70

The two guys you should get with are @Corey562 and @KA9FFJ
    Both are craftsmen extraordinaire. Corey is a pipe maker and Dwain is a restorer.
  • Options
    Welcome to all the new members!
  • Options
    @Monk70 We're a tight nit group, but we are very welcoming of new people and are glad to see new faces. 
  • Options
    Welcome all. The more the merrier! This is a great group of people. 
  • Options
    Jumped on last week. Looks good. Hello all!
  • Options
    @LetMyCameronGo

Welcome to our band of brothers. We look forward to your participation.
  • Options
    @LetMyCameronGo;
    I think you will enjoy the exchange of ideas and information from very quality people. Glad to have you join the ranks.
  • Options
    Welcome @LetMyCameronGo , we're glad to have you. Tell us more about yourself.
  • Options
  • Options
    @LetMyCameronGo Thanks for sharing your story! I didn't smoke a pipe back when I went to Bible college, as I would've been kicked out, but even then I was looking to one day be a pipe smoker. 
  • Options
    @pipeman83 my surname is Mason ;).  If I recall my father mentioned that my grandfather used to have a connection with the masons or local masonic lodge though i don't think he was a member...
  • Options
    amolmesamolmes Apprentice
    Hey all,
    I just found this forum today. I have yet to explore the contents of it, and I am excited to learn new things about pipes and pipe tobacco. I started pipe smoking almost a year ago after being inspired by great authors like CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien (and undoubtedly the Lord of the Rings). I am currently finishing out my senior year of college and have had a good deal of great nights of smoking pipes with my friends and family within this past year. It seems like you are all very welcoming. I am excited to learn from you all!

So far, I’ve been into mostly aromatics as well as a few Virginias. I am a big fan of The Country Squire blends (especially their Middle-Earth blends). I’ve got a few pipes in the collection, some I bought, some from my father, and some that I’ve made. I also have built a pipe rack to store pipes and tobacco at my house off campus. Hope that gives a decent introduction for myself, and happy smoking!
  • Options
    @amolmes
    Welcome. You have questions, we have answers. 
  • Options
    @amolmes

Welcome, sir! We look forward to your participation and contributions. If you have any questions about the site, pipes, or tobacco, just ask anyone on TPL and they will help you find the answer.

• Options
    @PappyJoe @motie2 thank you for the welcome. My first question I have is about bent pipes. Those ones that just hang from your mouth. As far as cleaning those pipes, do you find it more difficult/needing a different approach than straight or slightly bent pipes? I’m looking to purchase a bent one but was wondering about that.
  • Options
    @amolmes
    Are you asking about cleaning a new pipe or about cleaning an estate pipe so that you can smoke it?
    I have more bent pipes than straight ones. With some of my bent pipes, I just run a pipe cleaner down the stem and into the bowl before and after smoking. I use a tissue or a paper towel to wipe out the bowl also before and after smoking. 

On some of my bent pipes, the pipe cleaner won't easily insert from bit to bowl. Those I let cool down before removing the stem and then running the pipe cleaner through the stem and the shank. 

Here's a tip I picked up as a new smoker when I would have a problem with loading and packing a bowl. I insert a pipe cleaner into the bowl through the stem or shank before loading. This does two things. 1. It prevents the tobacco from clogging the draft hole. 2. It creates a small air pocket under the tobacco so that you can still get a good draw. 
    Even with this you can still pack the tobacco too tight, but the chances of that happening is reduced.
  • Options
    @amolmes

Welcome to our site. From experience I can suggest to you thst this is the most friendly and helpful site on the web. I have yet to find anyone here who is less than friendly and respectful. However, you are required to do one thing: Participate whether it be to ask questions or share your knowledge. Welcome aboard.
  • Options
    @amolmes welcome aboard. This is a great bunch of guys, and a great place for pipe questions
  • Options
    Monk70Monk70 Enthusiast
    Welcome, I myself am  new to this forum and I must say these guys have welcomed me with open arms. It great to be part of this group.
    ⚓️
  • Options
    @motie2 yes, I was asking about a new bent pipe. Thanks for the tips! I went ahead and bought a Morgan Bones hourglass poker pipe, and with your help I think it’ll be a great smoke!

@pwkarch @Zouave @Monk70 thanks for welcoming me! Glad to join the crew.
  • Options
    @amolmes
    Though others may disagree, I lightly coat the inside of a new bowl with honey, so as to give carbonization and cake a head start.
  • Options
    New to the forum and pipe smoking. I have a pretty large cigar journal but I’m a total noob to pipes and pipe tobacco. I still love my cigars but my curiosity finally got the best of me. I’ve Been watching pipe videos on YouTube for the past couple of years and finally decided it was something I had to try. I love the lack of arrogance in the pipe community and the willingness to help people just getting started. Thank you for letting me join I look forward to asking questions as they come about. 
  • Options
    @Tellykobacco
    Welcome aboard. I TOO smoke my cigars, but not as often as In did in years past. NOTHING beats a really good maduro stick when the bug bites. Then again nothing beats a really good bowl full of a really good pipe tobacco blend. The options are endless and I hope that never goes away. A cigar can hold up better when I am occupied doing something that requires use of my hands on a frequent basis. A pipe is best used by me while sitting down and relaxing. What a great pair of options.
  • Options
    Monk70Monk70 Enthusiast
    Speaking of coating the chamber, if I keep a pipe I restore I will usually coat the chamber with maple and natural charcoal mixed. If I sell it I usually give the buyer the option.
    ⚓️
  • Options
    Welcome @amolmes, I see you were in the Mountains around Helena.  I am here in Billings, it’s good to see someone in Montana here.  Do you happen to be a resident, or just visiting?

• Options
    @pwkarch thank you for the welcome.