Home The Lounge
Options

Share your internet finds

Comments

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Pipestud's Consignment Shop  https://www.pipestud.com/

<<The term “smoking” wasn’t established until the late seventeenth century. Before then, it was often referred to as “Dry Drunkenness.”>>

[ :pgiggle:p ]
  • Options
    Also, check out their web site for really good tobacco prices.
    https://www.tobaccopipes.com Very competitive, great customer service and fast shipping.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    From our friends at Smokingpipes.com

Mark Twain: Unrepentant Tobaccophile

June 21, 2019 by Chuck Stanion

Mark Twain Unrepentant Tobaccophile

Mark Twain, Samuel Clemens' pseudonym, is possibly the most recognizable pen name in literature, and the man himself is an irresistible historical figure for pipe enthusiasts, not only because he was instrumental in shaping an authentic American literary voice, but because he evidently smoked more than any other human being. He bought cigars by the barrel and corncob pipes by the gross. "I smoke a good deal," he wrote in 1891, "that is to say, all the time."

His grandniece, Jean Webster, referred to him as "a human furnace," and, "the smokiest man alive." His longtime friend, author and editor William Dean Howells, commented, "I do not know how much a man may smoke and live, but apparently he smoked as much as a man could, for he smoked incessantly."

Even as a boy of seven, he was a tobacco enthusiast. His boyhood home of Hannibal, Missouri, was a tobacco town, with its own tobacco factory. "Poverty itself was able to purchase tobacco," he said, and "... there was no other youngster of my age who could more deftly cut plug tobacco so as to make it available for pipesmoking."

In 1850, when he was 15 years old, Sam stopped smoking so he could wear the bright sash and participate in the parades of the local chapter of the Cadets of Temperance. He quit in disgust. "I had not smoked for three full months, and no words can adequately describe the smoke appetite that was consuming me."

Tobacco's Origin In Crow Legend

June 20, 2019 by Chuck Stanion

Tobaccos Origin In Crow Legend

Native American cultures are rich with oral tradition celebrating the spiritual and psychological benefits of tobacco, including origin stories about how this special plant came into the lives of the people. Among the most powerful stories is that of how tobacco came to the Crow tribe.

Polar Vortex: Smoking In Extreme Conditions

June 19, 2019 by Truett Smith

Polar Vortex Smoking In Extreme Conditions

The historic Polar Vortex of 2013/2014 had invaded my small Indiana hometown, dropping inches of snow and plummeting temperatures to well below zero. From the comfort of indoors, the icescape was a breathtaking sight: Pristine, unperturbed snow glistened like so many crystals in the afternoon sunlight, causing my eyes to squint.

Grandpa & The Hay Bales

June 18, 2019 by Chuck Stanion

Grandpa  The Hay Bales

The 10 Tobys (all of my grandfather's dogs were named Toby) scratched at our door one weekend, which was unusual. Grandpa's farm was two miles down the road and his dogs didn't visit without him. One had Grandpa's Falcon pipe in her mouth; we recognized the duct tape and copper wire that had held it together since the Nest of Skunks Catastrophe of 1964.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master

CBD AND CANNABIS USE AND PRODUCTS BANNED AT IPCPR 2019 TRADE SHOW

If you were planning on selling, bringing or using CBD and cannabis products during the 2019 International Premium Cigar & Pipe Retailers Association (IPCPR) trade show and convention, you had better change your plans. While marijuana and CBD are legalized for use by private citizens in Nevada, they are not allowed on the premises at The Venetian, The Palazzo or the Sands Expo Center.

https://tobaccobusiness.com/cbd-and-marijuana-banned-from-ipcpr-2019/

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Check back in 6 days and see what the bid is... 😳
  • Options
    Here's an interesting YT video by Briar Blues- Pipe Smoking, a hobby, habit, or lifestyle choice?

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Two related articles, from the FREE PIPE SMOKING LIBRARY FOLDER
    (attached as .pdf's)
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited June 2019
    @thebadgerpiper My take on it? If I inhaled like he does, and admittedly had to have his nicotine fix every morning ( not to mention the consumption of cigarettes while traveling), I would call it a habit/addiction as well. But I don't fit into his category.
    I don't inhale
    I smoke my pipes sporadically (twice a day to once or twice a week)
    I look at it this way:
    If I ride my bike EVERY morning, it becomes a habit. If I do not ride every morning, but still take it out for a spin now and then... it's not...
    The long and short of it, I guess it depends on what kind of smoker you are... IMHO...
    Sidenote: the word "habit" usually carries with it a bad connotation. Consequently, if a person wants to enjoy a pipe every evening, I guess one could call that a habit. But I wouldn't classify it as a bad habit. 
    Addicted to nicotine, well that could be a different story...

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    From our friends at Pipestud.com

<<For those of you who smoke pipes with vulcanite stems, a great way to keep them from discoloration and oxidization is to give them a good rubdown with a non water based polish called Flitz. Here's an example - https://www.flitz.com/flitz-polish-paste/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh57IlNWO4wIVUT0MCh25JwU-EAAYASAAEgLcdvD_BwE You will be amazed how it not only removes already established stem oxidation, but will also protect the stem from oxidizing in the future if you simply take a couple of minutes to use this product on your vulcanite stems after each smoke. >>

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master

Life After McClelland

June 28, 2019 by Chuck Stanion

Life After McClelland

Many have written to ask what I recommend as a replacement for McClelland, but there is no replacement for McClelland tobacco. Reasonable replications of particular blends are remotely possible, but not with the same ingredients used by McClelland, unless some tobacco company wants to start from the ground up and figure it out, step by step, completely overwriting their own methods, as well as source the same leaf. Like every blender in history, McClelland had proprietary practices, and for another company to alter its own proprietary practices enough to blend McClelland-style tobaccos is implausible if not impossible, especially because they'd have to be developed independently. McClelland's style and its strategies for achieving that style are gone. Those processes were forged and actualized within the confines of the McClelland factory, now dismantled, where no visitors were permitted. I tried for years, but I was unable to weasel my way in, not with charm, not with bribes, tricks, tears, or at 3:00 a.m. with a crowbar.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/life-after-mcclelland

• Options
    I remember seeing this cartoon on another pipe forum years ago and remembered it tonight. Decided to post it here, because I figured others would enjoy it. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a large number of pipe smokers who also enjoy/dabble in ham radio.

• Options
    @KA9FFJ Good points, and I'm definitely in agreement with your take. For me, it's definitely a hobby rather than a habit, and I also don't inhale. I smoke a pipe to relax and for the collecting. If it was out of a daily need for nicotine, then I'd have to put it aside and take a step back.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @thebadgerpiper   HAM OPERATOR cum PIPE, using a sidewinder......

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    FAVORITE PIPE/FAVORITE TIMES/FAVORITE PLACES

Which Pipe Is My Favorite? by Chip Kushner 9/26/16

I have been collecting pipes for about a decade now and I still get a thrill when I find a new pipe and add it to my collection. Friends often ask which pipe is my favorite. My usual answer is my latest addition; it's my newest toy. That said I have built up a fair collection, and sometimes my newest toy is a pipe I take from my rack that I haven't smoked for several years and only recently rediscovered. It's a new toy all over again.

But I find there are pipes on my rack that simply stay there. I pick them up, admire them, and put them back unsmoked. One side of my brain says if you don't smoke it, trade it in, move it on to someone who will get the enjoyment out of it you used to. The other side of my brain admires its beauty, remembers when I got it, and doesn't want to let it go. This is the side that often wins out.

And then there are some pipes with which, even though I no longer smoke them, I will not be parted. They may hold a particular memory, they may have been gifts, or they may be pieces that I know, once gone, I may never find again. Often though it is just a beautiful pipe that due to size, style, or something, I would not buy again today.

When I do let that other side of my brain win out and allow myself to trade a pipe that I no longer smoke, moving it along to a new home, believe it or not I never regret it. In fact, I can honestly think of no better way to have the thrill of finding a new pipe and having a potential new favorite all over again.

Favorite Times, Favorite Places by Eric Squires 7/25/16

When the word favorite comes up in matters of pipe and tobacco, the subjects are most often, for understandable reasons, favorite pipes and favorite tobaccos. Even though I have a few pipes I smoke far more often than any others, and ditto tobaccos, I don't really have any favorites. Not favorite pipes or favorite tobaccos at least; I do have favorite times, and favorite places.

A favorite among those favorites is Sunday morning, still lying in bed. This is an easy favorite for an obvious reason: it requires no work. Wake up, let my head clear, shoo the cat off my chest, lean back against the headboard, reach over to my nightstand for whatever pipe(s) and tobacco(s) I happened to last leave there; there, done. All that's left is to sit very still, watch smoke play around in the light coming through the window, and think upon whatever comes to mind knowing I have all the time I may like.Coffee, in theory, would also be nice. However I usually do without it on these mornings. First of all, part of the whole joy of a lazy Sunday morning is still being drowsy and able to get away with it. Secondly, and this is the big one, making coffee would require actually getting out of bed. Nuts, I say, to that. There are after all six other mornings in a week to error in that direction.

So I sit and think muddled thoughts — on what I may have dreamt the night before, on what has passed the week before, on what is to be done in the week to come, on anything I please at all. And I watch smoke drift through light.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    PIPE SMOKING ON THE INTERNET

Intro: This is a golden age of pipe smoking! Today there are hundreds of companies and independent artisan pipemakers producing pipes each year with more cropping up regularly. There are thousands of tobacco blends of every variety available along with a steady influx of new blends being introduced. One is no longer limited to the stock of one's local tobacconist's shop because the internet has provided access to unlimited resources for pipes and tobacco. In this age where brick-and-mortar shops are becoming scarce, online retailers (or "e-tailers" as they are sometimes called) are flourishing. Without a doubt, the internet has been a key factor in the evolution of pipe smoking.

Pre-Internet Years ago pipe smokers purchased their pipes and tobaccos at a local shop or through a mail-order catalog. Choices were usually very limited according to what was being carried at that time by the shops. There was not a large variety of brands, shapes and sizes of pipes. Tobacco choices consisted of some premium brands like Dunhill, "drugstore" brands and house blends of local shops. Some of these local shops made some wonderful blends but were virtually unknown outside of the local area.

Information about pipes was not easy to find. New pipe smokers wishing to learn the basics of the gentle art usually had to find a mentor to teach them how to properly pack, light, smoke and care for the pipe. More than a few tobacconists gave crash courses to new customers making their first purchase. Most new pipe smokers were taught the standard "three-level" packing technique, given a bag of aromatic tobacco and sent along their way.

Early Internet Age With the implementation of the internet into the public mainstream came the Usenet group "alt.smokers.pipes". This newsgroup hosted a virtual community sharing a plethora of knowledge and experience in pipe smoking. New smokers could ask questions to seasoned veterans from the comfort of their own sofas. Information about various brands of pipes and tobaccos were shared between people all over the world. Some members traded pipes and tobaccos, discovered new blends and brands, learned new ways to pack a pipe and invented better ways to maintain a pipe. Eventually, the old myths were exposed as just that...myths.

As a result of having access to such a large pool of pipe lore, smokers began to enjoy the gentle art more than they had prior to joining the newsgroup. Several commercial web sites were created as "virtual smoke shops" and soon one could purchase those pipes and blends discussed online. Imagine the feeling of discovering that no-name pipe you thought was a high quality briar was just mediocre once experiencing a true high-grade! The gentle art of pipe smoking was virtually re-invented and re-discovered much to the delight of new smokers and veterans alike.

Present Day Today the internet hosts hundreds, if not thousands, of pipe-related sites. Online retailers have vast inventories and diverse selections. New artisan pipemakers create works of art in their homes and sell them on their own web sites. Some pipemakers and tobacco blenders have participated in the online pipe community giving smokers direct interaction with the creators of their favorite blends and pipes. It is a tight-knit community, a "Brotherhood of the Briar", that continues to support the gentle art and keeps it alive.

Through the internet we have a much better understanding of our pipes. Pipemakers teach us how pipes work and what makes them great and what makes them firewood. We know more about tobacco and how blends come together because we have master blenders sharing their expertise about the Leaf. Having a better understanding of the intricities allows us to appreciate that much more all of the work that is put into our beloved tools of tranquility.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master

4 Pipe Smoking Rituals To Start Your Work Week Off Right by Andrew Wike 8/8/16

It's Monday, and if you're like any of us, you're probably experiencing the signature signs of Monday blues. The bliss-filled weekend is over, and it's time to step into another five days of hard work. But that doesn't mean it has to be all that bad. It might be too late to incorporate these into your morning routine today, but we've come up with a handful of quick, pipe smoking rituals to help you start your week out right — and keep the blues at bay:

1) Wake Up Early -- A vastly underestimated ritual, getting up early allows you plenty of time to wake up before you actually get to work. It also gives you the opportunity to do things like eat breakfast and enjoy a bowl full of your favorite morning mixture, without having to worry about making it to work on time.

2) Eat Breakfast -- Breakfast has long been said to be the most important meal of the day, and for us pipe smokers that certainly holds true. A bowl full of Escudo is much better with pancakes in your belly than on an empty stomach, after all.

3) Plan Your Day With a Smoke -- You've got five days of work ahead of you, so taking some time in the morning to plan out your day (or your week) is just a smart choice overall. Better yet, pair it with a pipe and spend some time reflecting on your goals and current projects. Planning increases productivity and keeps us one step ahead of stress.

4) Have A Pipe On The Way To Work -- This is probably the most ubiquitous Monday morning ritual here at SPC. Shane, Josh, and myself all enjoy a pipe on the way to work. With the right tunes, it helps combat the stress of traffic and allows you to mentally prepare yourself and get in the right frame of mind before stepping into the office.

Of course, these are just some of our suggestions. Feel free to try out some of these rituals yourself and see what works for you. With any luck, you'll be saying goodbye to those Monday Blues for good.

• Options
    I didn't find it, I wrote it....

My latest blog post about a Savory 283 I found and restored.
    https://pappyjoesblog.com/a-sweet-pipe-no-its-a-savory-pipe/
  • Options
    @motie2 Love that picture of the ham radio operator. Also, great selection of articles today. I highly recommend anyone check out pipes.org and read their pipes digest archive, which was an old email group for pipe smokers back in the late 80's through the early 2000's. The wealth of history, stories, and information contained in those archives is priceless.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Very fancy indeed.......

Unique & Handmade 11.10 carat Natural Sapphire Gemstone Meershaum Pipe 
    Total Gemstone carat weight: 11.10 ct tw & 111 pcs of 100% natural Sapphire gemstones, Danish Design. 

Sapphire Clarity: VVS-VS 
    Sapphire Origin: Africa 
    Sapphire Color: Green/Yellow/Blue 
    Meerschaum origin: Turkey 
    Sapphire Hardness: 9 on Mohs scale 
    Total: 111 PCS & 11.10 Carat 
    Incl. Pipe box 

Item condition: New, Never used.

Watch youtube movie: Gemstone Pipe 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-JGYX0bMu8&nbsp;

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master