Home The Lounge
Options

Share your internet finds

Comments

• Options
    @thebadgerpiper . Thank you for sharing your blog. I read and enjoy it, please, keep writing and sharing.
  • Options
    Possible great value?
    <<COLLECTION OF PIPE SMOKING ITEMS 2 EA CAREY  MAGIC INCH NO 3267941 BOTH LOOK IN GOOD CONDITION, PETERSONS 86 IN GOOD CONDITION, IMPERIAL BITE PROOF ALGERIAN BLIAR IN GOOD CONDITION, AND A SOLID PIPE IN USED CONDITION SOME WEAR TO TOP OF BOWL, ALSO TWO PIPE CLEANERS ONE SHEFFIELD STAINLESS STEEL, ALSO A TERRYS HEDGEHOG PIPE REAMER MADE IN ENGLAND, 5 BOXES OF  EA CAREY PAPYRATEII REPLACEMENTS FOR CAREYS MAGIC INCH PIPE NOT ALL FULL, A Dr. PLUMBS LEATHER TOBACCO PURSE, AND THE BOX PIPE RACK ART DECO IN GOOD CONDITION IT HAS A NAME PLAQUE WHICH HAS K C ON IT IS LOOSE SO COULD QUITE EASILY BE GLUED IN OR TURN ROUND OR A NICE NEW ONE PUT IN, SIZE APPROX 26CM 15CM 14CM,  PLEASE SEE PHOTOS>>
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Joblot-pipe-rack-box-peterson-rockey-86-ea-carey-magic-inch-pat-no-3267941/264257333291
  • Options
    Those “Hedgehog” reamers look like some sort of medieval pipe torture device.  I have one I got in a pipe lot.  Every time I come near a pipe bowl with it, the stummel lets out a terrifying shriek and starts begging me to find another reamer.  I have it locked away out of sight in a drawer somewhere now.....it disturbes my pipes to even be near it.  If a pipe is bad, all I have to do is mention “The Hedgehog” and it straightens out and behaves😬
  • Options
    mapletopmapletop Master
    edited March 2019
    Thanks Motie2 that Life Video was incredible. 
    I always loved LIFE magazine  in my youth and especially  looking at the old issues my grand father had going back to WWII,
    April 20 will be LIFE's last print issue, Time Warner said in a statement. ... Originally launched in 1936 as a weekly, Life was suspended from regular publication in 1972 and brought back as a monthly in 1978. It was suspended again in 2000, then brought back as a newspaper supplement in 2004.

I recognized only three of the faces,  Bing, MacArthur, and  my favorite Irish actor of all time Barry Fitzgerald.

• Options

ASMR No Talking Pipe Smoking Session with Zippo and Bourbon -- George Bruno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kM76eNA1Gs

• Options
    @pappyjoe

Nice find. Thank you.
  • Options
    Thank you @riobrusa and @KA9FFJ for the kind words. It's comments like these that keep me going with the blog.
  • Options
    Italian pipe factory, via AlPascia.com
    "Mama Mia, that's a lot of pipes...."

• Options

"Internet Pipe & Tobacco Forums; They are Just Plain Fun!"

https://www.pipestud.com/internet-pipe-they-are-just-plain-fun/
  • Options
    A rather interesting article popped up in my newsfeed. 

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/all-ears-washington-mo-company-celebrates-years-of-making-corncob/article_a1d807e9-eae6-5874-a57b-b0dd99b8f635.html 

Missouri Meerschaum turns 150. The article is from the local Washington, MO paper. 
  • Options
    Great article@thebadgerpiper, the Irish proverb you mentioned is my feeling exactly. When you mentioned The Wind in the Willows, I immediately thought of Van Morrison's song Piper At The Gates Of Dawn,, he sings about or  at lest mentions the novel quite a few times. Thank you.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited April 2019
    A Timely Smoke
    by Truett Smith of smoking pipes.com

There are more than a few factors to consider when reaching for a pipe. Do I want to smoke an English blend or Virginia tobaccos? Am I in the mood for a sandblast or does my hand want a smooth finish? Bent or straight? Do my hands need to be free for most of the smoke? Will I need to set the pipe down at some point? Should I grab a sitter then? One characteristic that I almost always take into consideration, though, is how long the bowl will last. Depending on my schedule, I might need to grab a pipe with a significantly smaller chamber, lest I leave half of the bowl unfinished.

Some commutes require specific pipes because the time it takes to smoke a bowl lines up perfectly with the travel time. I don't even need a clock to know if I'm going to be late to work — the finished bowl makes my tardiness apparent. My morning coffee is poured into a different mug depending on which pipe I'm smoking. (The ratios of mug to bowl and sips to smoking cadence are intricate and inherently entwined, and I'm convinced they can be perfectly realized through some complicated algorithm or physics formulae... if only I knew something about physics.)

In fact, I've found that most times I don't even need to wear a watch. I know my lunch break is over because my pipe's chamber is left only with dottle. A meeting is surprisingly short or painstakingly long, not because my eyes are on the clock, but because my bowl is either still lit or went out ages ago. It's not bedtime because it's eleven o'clock; it's because my pipe is cleaned out after a bowl of Nightcap.
    With this in mind, some pipes have become defined by my daily routine, or, rather, my routine has become defined by certain pipes.

I've learned that it's this reinterpretation of time that helps make pipe smoking such a calming, peaceful practice. When watching a clock, one observes time passing as the hands slowly move over one another around the face, like sand languidly sifting through an hourglass. With a pipe, though, we don't merely observe time; we experience it as it happens and, in a sense, can even control how it passes. By altering our smoking cadence or by choosing a pipe with a certain chamber size or by opting for a differing cut of tobacco, pipe smokers can make time pass faster or slower as desired.

If you want to stay up later, simply pack your day's final bowl with a plug as opposed to ribbon cut, or reach for that Ser Jacopo double Maxima instead of a petite Ropp. On the flip side, though, if you have only a spare half hour between appointments, then that Ropp might just be the briar for the job.

Maybe one day, I won't ever need to ask the time. My schedule will line up perfectly with the pipes I'm smoking, the day seamlessly tied together with slow puffs and wisping tendrils of smoke, and I'll be the better for it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words @buflosab ! And while I haven't heard the song, I knew a few artists have sung about The Wind in the Willows, especially The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. I'll have to look that one up tonight.
  • Options
    @motie2 - And yet the pharmacy chains all have aisles loaded with candy, junk food and sugar-laden drinks, not to mention the so-called "diet" drinks that are loaded with chemicals that are bad for you liver and kidneys. All the politicians pushing to remove tobacco and vaping supplies from drugstores aren't saying a word about the health hazards caused from the other products.
  • Options
    Our society's policy appears to be to make at least a gesture towards healing the sick, but society finds it too onerous a task to advance healthy eating, drinking, etc.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper, your welcome, it's a great song by Van Morrison.
  • Options

8 Advanced Pipe Smoking Techniques: Have You Learned Everything ? 

https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/advanced-pipe-smoking-techniques-have-you-learned-everything

Though in no way comprehensive, here's a quick list of pipe smoking techniques for the seasoned smokers out there to get you started.

1. Retrohaling - AKA snorking — which to my ear sounds like the advanced technique whereby one noisily and forcefully ejects from one's nostrils vitamin D milk, ideally in a middle school cafeteria — retrohaling is challenging to explain, but if it is done successfully it should look like blowing smoke out of your nose. We know we can smell more odors than we can taste flavors, and an integral part of our understanding of the flavor of something derives from its aroma. Thus forcing tobacco smoke back through one's nose increases flavor impression in a usually surprising way. But how do you actually go about retrohaling pipe smoke? Return to imagining snorting (or snorking) milk and the muscles you'd need to employ behind your nose, at the top of your throat, and around your nasal sinuses to pull it off, and you're about 50% there. The other 50% is just going to come from trial and error. Yes, like most things pertaining to the art of pipe smoking, you're going to have to practice and master the technique by doing it. I'll give you one last tip, though. Try retrohaling (at least at first) only about 20% of the volume of smoke you've imbibed or inhaled. If you try to retrohale a big puff, especially if you're unfamiliar with the move, you're cruising toward an epic case of tongue bite of the nose.

2. Finger Tamping -- Just like it sounds. Skip the tamper; use a finger. But why? Even though, I wager, most pipe smokers will at some point tamp down a half smoked pipe with a forefinger on account of a momentarily misplaced tamper, there are some that actually prefer a raw wiggler to a Randy Wiley tamper for a fair reason: the feedback or sensation of give from the tobacco itself can instruct a gentler tamp, which may lead to fewer relights attributable to accidental extinguishes chalked up to a heavy handed tamp. Just be mindful of red hot embers and a dirty, ashy finger.

3. Twine Lighting (Using A Hemp Wick) -- Matches or lighters? Try twine lighting. Some folks argue that lighters can run hot or behave unwieldy. In the case of butane lighters, some also say they expose the pipe's rim and tobacco chamber to sticky butane residue. On the other side, there are those who argue matches are smelly and unreliable in the wind or under fans, and create a surplus of detritus. Using hemp twine to light a pipe, and the reason to do it, is easily understood: take a piece of twine (or even a toothpick, as Adam Davidson was prone to do before he switched to a lighter), light it with a lighter, match, candle, or whatever and then use it to get your pipe going. Why the added step in flame application? A small flame combined with the relatively low heat of hemp's relatively low combustion rate will reduce your pipe's exposure to fire damage. So there.

4. DGT (Delayed Gratification Technique) -- DGT — or Delayed Gratification Technique — is fundamentally a lighting and smoking practice connected to the desire to suss out transformed flavors from a single bowl. In practice, it's pretty simple: pack the pipe, get a charring light going, take a few puffs (or more), take account of the initial flavor, and then put the pipe down for some indeterminate period of time before getting back to it. There's no hard and fast rule on how exactly to DGT; the basic premise is to let a warm pipe caramelize, stove, or stew in its own juices long enough to wholly modify or modify aspects of the tobacco's flavor once one returns to smoking it. The rigidity and discipline surrounding any specific methodology, however, is subject to the fancy of the individual pipe smoker.

5. Breath Smoking -- One can find a handful of different step-by-step instructional videos and articles hanging out on the web that map out the breath smoking technique. I suspect that many of us have probably stumbled onto the method, but here's the gist. Roughly speaking, the pipe smoker learns to breath in and out of his or her nose at a tempo at odds with the cadence of imbibing the pipe. Bifurcating the acts of breathing and smoking can provide the smoker with incredible control over smoke volume and puffing cadence, improving flavor, decreasing the potential for tongue bite and palate exhaustion, and keeping in check the overall temperature of the pipe. Though not tough to figure out, mastery requires both a little patience and practice. Solitude recommended.

6. Moisture Test -- The advanceness of this 'technique' is dubious at best. Is your tobacco too wet to smoke? Pinch a bit of it between a thumb and finger (or, more prescriptively, pinch about 3g worth of tobacco between thumb and forefinger for three seconds) and then release them. If the tobacco is still stuck to your fingers, then the tobacco is too wet to smoke. Come to think of it, out of habit, I do this if I happen to be smoking a heavily cased aromatic. Outside of that, though, I'd say a particular fastidiousness about the moisture level of one's smoking tobacco, and the acrobatics one dispatches in achieving one's personally perfect moisture tolerance, can be considered advanced if it's a fairly complex and orchestrated procedure — the result of which is an optimum and strictly prepared bowl of pipe tobacco. Broadly, however, it seems most veteran pipe smokers naturally become pretty well tuned into their preferred tobacco moisture level. A good tip to consider nonetheless. 

7. Tobacco Layering (Or 'Stacking') -- Put some G&H Coniston Cut Plug at the bottom of a bowl, pack Lane 1-Q in the middle, and then top the whole thing off with G. L. Pease's Chelsea Morning for an intriguing smoke. Actually, on second thought, that might not be the best pairing. Point being, many pipe smokers dig on layering different kinds of tobacco blend types and cuts throughout a bowl in order to search out interesting new flavors and better control burning characteristics. Again, not necessarily an advanced technique here, as the method doesn't require any sage know-how, but if you've already got a handle on the rather wide spectrum of available flavors to be had from properly manufactured tobaccos by notable blenders, it does make for a pretty interesting smoking experience. Test it out for yourself, and let us know what you think. 

8. Flake Folding -- First and foremost, note that not all flakes are created equal. If your plan is to fold and stuff a flake from a newly opened tin of Sam Gawith's St. James Flake then I wish you all the luck in the world, ye intrepid endeavorer. Alternatively a flake of Mac Baren's Navy Flake split in half down its length, handily doubled up upon itself, stuffed straight down to the bottom of a pipe's chamber can be made to smoke easily with nothing more than a top sprinkling of leftover pre-shredded tobacco debris from the tin or pouch to get a charring light started. The important things to consider with flake folding, then, are moisture level and the thickness of the flake itself. But once you've chosen the right flake, with enough practice this pipe packing method can mean an on-the-go, quick, and easy flake packing technique, without having to hunt down a plate or napkin to rub it out.

So if you've mastered the traditional pipe smoking techniques like lighting and tamping, and feel you're ready for the next step: try these 8 tricks for yourself! 

• Options
    @motie2 Glad to see you up and around and posting articles ... must be feeling better.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii
    Yes, thank you. Still have sciatica, but tolerable even without meds. Micturating normally, but hole from suprapubic catheter still not healed after five plus months of removal. Oh, well, I'm older than dirt.

Our dear friend @pwkarch is ailing and needs our thoughts and prayers more than I.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited April 2019
    From our friends at Smokingpipes.com

Changing Perspectives
    by Daniel Bumgardner

Perspective can be a remarkably malleable companion. In the literal, physical sense, you might catch a glimpse of a pipe from a side angle, allowing your eyes to become entranced by its sense of gesture and curve, only to be aghast at a previously indiscernible bulbousness upon inspection from a different point of view. In the span of roughly five seconds, you went from curiosity-bordering-on-enthusiasm to outright disgust, and all you did was walk five paces to your left.

In the more abstract sense, however, the plane upon which you navigate and subsequently shift your aesthetic perspective becomes a bit more dubious. It's not enough to grow to love a given tobacco sometimes, as you might happen across a heretofore-unenchanting blend that now sets your senses alight. Your tastes evolve, and the formerly much-loved everyday smoke is relegated to a spot toward the back of your cellar's shelf.

Through this evolution, taste can act as both a guide and an inhibitor. Our tastes limit, and therefore shape our perspective, resulting in the perception that we "know what we like." To my mind, this is only a half-truth, qualified by "at this given point in time." All of our tastes were, at one point in time, unevolved, embryonic indifferences; they were not yet our tastes; we still had to live the experiences leading us to them. Sure, it's important to be grounded within our tastes, but we can't let our tastes ground us, lest we resist the natural tectonic shift that comes with exposure to new experiences.

Staring at the asymmetrically bulbous briar that once beckoned your eye, you move to speak to its owner. You strike up a conversation about pipes and tobacco, mentioning his pipe in the process, and watch as the smoker practically jumps with glee discussing his treasured smoker. You inquire about its feel in hand and weight in the jaw, and he implores you to hold it yourself. Accepting the warm companion, you feel its natural contours meld perfectly to those of your palm, and with them, your own preconceptions melt away once more.
  • Options
    From our friends at Smokingpipes.com

The Silver Pipe

Monday, April 22, 2019 by Chuck Stanion

The Wampanoag People of Rhode Island and southern Massachusetts were native Americans primarily active in the 17th century and before, though members survive today in two tribes. They numbered about 3,000 people when Europeans arrived, and their population was decimated by what was probably smallpox. They signed the first peace treaty with colonists in 1621, just a year after the arrival of the Mayflower and the pilgrims.

Some stories from the Wampanoag survive, including the legend of the Silver Pipe, which is of particular interest to pipe smokers. We all know how important pipes are to native American cultures, and the survival of a pipe story in the oral tradition is not surprising.

The leader of the Wampanoag people was Massasoit, who had a reputation for fair and reasonable decisions. King James of England sent Massasoit a pipe made of pure silver as a gift of appreciation for his wise leadership. King James is famous for authoring A Counterblaste to Tobacco, an anti-smoking pamphlet, in 1604, so it may have been difficult for him to decide on that gift, but it was cherished by Massasoit.

Years later, a warrior commended himself in battle with displays of courage and leadership, and Massasoit presented him with his silver pipe as a reward. The warrior of course loved the pipe above all his other possessions. When he aged and grew ill, and knew he was about to die, he asked his wife to bury the pipe with him. The wife swore to do so, but she secretly envied her husband and wanted the pipe for herself. When he died, she hid the pipe for her own use, pretending that she had buried it with him.

When she went to her hiding place to smoke the pipe, she looked into the hole where it was secreted and saw it, and reached in. But the pipe moved away from her grasp. No matter how she tried to clutch at it, it danced out of the way and she was unable to pick up the pipe.

The wife realized the awful mistake she had made and swore to bury the pipe with her husband as she had originally promised, if only she could ever grab hold of it again.

As soon as she uttered her intent to bury the pipe, she found it in her hand and was able to return it to her husband's burial place, never to be troubled by her conscience again.

The story shows the importance of keeping promises, but the main message I take away is, don't mess with a pipesmoker's pipes. I don't know how many of us request that a pipe accompany us to the afterlife, but it's clear that those wishes should be kept.

I just hope it doesn't become a trend. I like estate pipes. They are already broken in, and they are a terrific value, so I'd prefer that we not all start taking our pipe collections with us. I know some guys I would dig up to get at their collections, so it's not particularly safe. We would have to return to the days of cemeteries staffed with guards to prevent body snatching, only now they would avert pipe theft. Just think of the rampage of hauntings that would result.

The Wampanoag had it right: Don't ever disappoint a pipesmoker.

• Options
    Well, it might not be April 1st, but I thought I'd try something different for my blog.

• Options
    Pipe and Tobacco Quiz (repost) -- I scored 9 out of 10 questions.... I failed the @PappyJoe territory question on slow pipe smoking competitions.....

https://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=pipe-tobacco-quiz

• Options
    @thebadgerpiper

Having read all of @PappyJoe's blog https://pappyjoesblog.com/, I'm now working my way through yours https://thebadgerpiper.wordpress.com/

Both of you have created great sites!!!!
  • Options
    @motie2 I got 100% in 1:19 because of the slow internet where I am currently at. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe

We would expect no less!!! I just clutched on that one question. Oh well....