• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    From our friends at BriarworksUSA -- COWBOYS AND PIPES

https://mailchi.mp/briarworksusa/cowboys-pipes?e=d82f343e84
  • Options

Interesting, if true.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master

While excessive consumption of alcohol could put someone at a greater risk for kidney stones, moderate consumption has actually been shown to potentially prevent kidney stones. Research has shown that beer, white wine, and red wine may all help reduce a person's risk for kidney stones when consumed at a moderate rate. 

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited July 2019
    Three articles; the third of which demonstrates the insanity of our current attitudes towards tobacco and THC

AN AMERICAN ORIGINAL: SUTLIFF TOBACCO COMPANY

In 1849, H.W. Sutliff established his company as a tobacco retailer, and, like so many tobacco retailers of his day, he created his own pipe tobacco blends for his clientele. As the city grew, so did Sutliff Tobacco Company, and, by the time of San Francisco’s great earthquake of 1906, the company had a well-established reputation for providing good-quality pipe tobaccos and other tobacciana.

READ MORE

SCANDINAVIAN TOBACCO COMPANY ACQUIRES PREMIUM PIPE TOBACCO BRANDS

Scandinavian Tobacco Group has closed a deal to acquire certain pipe tobacco trademarks and designs from Dunhill Tobacco Company of London Limited, a subsidiary of British American Tobacco p.l.c. Find out what brands STG will now have in its portfolio and where these pipe brands will be distributed. 

READ MORE

Now, the nutsy part

JAS SUM KRAL TEASES THC-INFUSED CIGAR

This year, Jas Sum Kral made headlines with Nuggs, a CBD-infused cigar. As many companies prepare their latest releases to hit the market this fall, Jas Sum Kral is ready to roll out yet another release in the Nuggs line–the Nuggs Kine Puro Selection, a THC-infused cigar, the first of its kind for the cigar industry. Find out more about this release, when it will hit the market, and how you can get it in your store.

READ MORE

• Options
    It is my opinion that the THC / CBD thing is going to become more intermingled with the tobacco industry to no good end.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Has anyone else ever heard of this? 

I recently found a suggestion online: Take dried fennel seeds, put them in a blender, reduce to fine powder, and then lightly dust a Latakia/Oriental/Virginia blend with the fennel powder (the poster used Gaslight). The poster said the result resembles original Bengal Slices.
  • Options
    I am grinding some fennel seed to mix into Gaslight. I hear it is just like Bengal Slice. I will see if it is true.
  • Options
    Well fennel is similar to licorice....so...if Bengal Slices had anise or licorice or fennel, I suppose it would be close.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Many reviewers say it's anise, But with a light hand.
  • Options
    I tried this experiment with rubbed out Gaslight and powdered fennel seed. I could not see any change that I could taste over the usual latakia, sweetness, and spice of the Gaslight. Perhaps someone would like to try ground anise or a touch of licorice oil if they are curious.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited July 2019
    From our friends at Pipestud's Consignment Shop https://www.pipestud.com/ 
    Pipe Smoking Tip

Rim charring or darkening is a problem for some pipe smokers. In fact, it is a problem for me, too. Darkening is hard to detect on dark stained pipes with sandblasted rims, but is easy to see on tan blasted or smooth pipes. To avoid darkening the rims of your pipes during smoking, simply take the smallest dab of Vaseline (after first loading your pipe), and rub a very thin coat of it around the top of the rim. After completing your smoke, just take a paper towel and wipe off the rim. You will be shocked! The Vaseline, rather than the wood, takes the brunt of the darkening and your pipe's rim will remain clean.

Fun Fact Of The Day: Urea, a chemical compound found in urine, is added to cigarettes for extra flavor.
  • Options
    Found this on reddit on the r/pipetobacco board. Thought everyone here would enjoy this. The stories that this room had, I can't even imagine.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Two articles from our friends at Smokingpipes.com, one practical, one historical

Pockets

July 9, 2019 by Chuck Stanion

Pockets are a pipesmoker's best friend. And we need a lot of them. The minimum for going out into the world is a pipe or two, a tobacco pouch, pipe cleaners, a lighter and tamper, and we need places to put those things, along with a wallet, phone, keys and pocket knife. It would be nice to just materialize these items on demand and dematerialize them when done, but until that technology is available, pockets must suffice.

Read More

Mary Frith: Unapologetic Pipesmoker

July 11, 2019 by Truett Smith

If we're honest, those we now consider "famous pipesmokers" did not gain notoriety because of their pipesmoking. They earned acclaim through their writings, or movies, or philosophy, or creative genius, and it just so happened they also smoked a pipe. Without Tom Sawyer and E=mc2, Twain and Einstein would merely be two mustachioed pipesmokers with mussed hair, their lives never having garnered fame, and we here at Smokingpipes certainly wouldn't be writing articles about them. To be clear, I'm not advocating that we talk less about these iconic personas' love for pipesmoking, but a distinction must be made that, in their day, they were not "famous pipesmokers." That designation is a much more modern moniker.

However, there was a pipesmoker who, in her day, was famous for her indulgence in pipes and tobacco. Her name was Mary Frith.

Mary Frith, aka "Moll Cutpurse," aka "The Roaring Girl," is considered the first female smoker of England. She gained prominence through the early 17th century, and her aliases are perhaps the best place to start when discussing this one-of-a-kind woman.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Repeat posting: A Golden Oldie

Pipefuls by Christopher Morley (PUBLIC DOMAIN -- 6.5 hours)

Christopher Morley (1890–1957) was an American novelist, essayist, journalist, and poet. He began his literary career at Oxford University as an editor of The Haverfordian and published his first novel, Parnassus on Wheels, in 1917. Its sequel, The Haunted Bookshop (1919), is one of the most beloved mystery novels ever written. [It is also a pipe tobacco blend by Cornell and Diehl https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1572/cornell-diehl-haunted-bookshop]

Morley also edited the Saturday Review and cofounded the Baker Street Irregulars, a literary society dedicated to the study of Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes stories.

"Culturally important, this work is considered part of the knowledge base of civilization as we know it."  ~ Author unknown 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z_Q8lfxkiI

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/out-of-the-ashes/its-not-that-simple/

[Edited for length]

This morning, as I filled my pipe with the tobacco I’ve been smoking almost exclusively for the past couple months, certainly long enough to understand how it behaves, how it tastes, I was prepared for nothing more or less than a great smoke, and that’s just what I was having for the first third of the bowl. Then the bells rang. It’s happened to most of us. We’re peacefully smoking away, enjoying the experience well enough, when something changes, calling out for our attention, shaking us from our quiet reverie.

It happens often enough that I should know not to be caught off guard so frequently, but, by the time I’ve settled in with a blend, having smoked dozens of bowls in different pipes, new and old, large and small, exploring how they interact with the tobacco, analyzing the effects of different smoking cadences, different packing methods, even different environmental factors on the overall gestalt, I seem to develop a false confidence in my understanding of the tobacco. I find myself settling in to a state of casual disregard for the abundant riddles of tobaccos and pipes, and my complacency opens wide the doors and windows through which some poltergeist will inevitably drift, rattling its chains, throwing the dishes, howling belligerently.

The morning’s pipe hadn’t been smoked in some time, but has always performed reliably with similar mixtures. It’s not one of the magical pipes that would deliver an amazing smoke even if filled with dried lawn clippings and pencil shavings, but neither it is one of the high-strung thoroughbreds that only runs its best race when fed on a particular vintage of a special blend. It’s always been a steadfast performer, delivering a cool, easy smoke that doesn’t require much in the way of effort or thought. Until today.

The phantom visiting this morning was not some malevolent spectre, but a more seraphic presence, descending through the windows on shafts of golden light. Without foretelling, I was suddenly having one of those majestic smokes that transcends all the ordinary ones, and I lost myself in the experience for a good half hour until, finally, all that remained was ash and memories. It was magnificent. And, it was ephemeral.

.... Was it some special synergy between a pipe and a blend I thought I knew well that resulted in this wonderful experience? Could it have been the season’s first rain weaving its own magic into the tapestry of thermodynamic equations and theories on flavor development? Maybe the pipe had been resting just long enough to deliver its best, but not so long as to become lazy and stale? Or was it the ghosts of tobaccos past that influenced this bowl in some harmonious way to bring about smoking nirvana?

The fact is we will probably never really understand the myriad interrelationships of pipe, tobacco, environment, mood, nor develop any reliable way of predicting what makes one smoke good, and another transcendent. In a way, there’s a certain bliss in this ignorance; if every smoke was sublime, the really special ones would lose something of their specialness. Still, for most of the years I’ve been a pipe smoker, I’ve sought answers to the briar’s riddles, hoping to shine at least a little glimmer of light into those shadowy corners, but every time I think I’ve found a clue, it disappears in the smoke of the next bowl.

Pipe smoking, like so many things that are worth pursuing, is a deceptively complex system of the variables we know, and those we don’t. Paraphrasing J.B.S. Haldane, eminent 20th Century biologist, not only is the art and science of pipe smoking stranger than we suppose, it’s stranger than we can suppose. Many have tried to proffer theories, some of them quite scholarly, on ways to increase the likelihood of great smokes, but for every well reasoned argument, there will be a scoffing gang of hooligan pipes, working equally hard to prove the theory inadequate. This doesn’t mean we shouldn’t continue to try to find the answers, at least as long as the questions are interesting, we don’t take the task too seriously, and the hunt remains enjoyable.

We can fairly easily examine the obvious factors: chamber size and shape, draught hole diameter, bowl thickness, shank length, stem funneling. With enough collected data, this might give us some insight into the nuts and bolts, what I’ve always called the dynamics of how a pipe will smoke. If we gather sufficient understanding, we might be able to predict whether a pipe will stay lit easily or not, whether it will gurgle or deliver a dry smoke, whether it will smoke to the bottom with minimal effort, but, as much effort as we might be willing or capable of putting into this sort of analysis, it remains too reductionistic to paint a very vibrant or reliable picture, failing to give any indication at all of whether or not we’ll actually enjoy the smoke the pipe offers us.

Adding in the less tangible aspects, including the things we don’t know that we don’t know, things begin to blow up. The variables of the system, in which the smoker is perhaps the most vital element, are many. We often accept that some brands have certain characteristics, but when pressed, we have to admit that even amongst the golden marques we sometimes find lead, or that even those pipes with the lowliest of pedigrees might sometimes deliver well beyond our expectations. The pipe can be an unpredictable, sometimes kind, sometimes cruel mistress, and its deeper mysteries evade explanation by circles, arrows, equations, discussion of briar appellation and age.

As one example, consider the contemporary trope of the wide-open airway. There are some who hold so strongly to the belief that if the airway isn’t large enough to house the family dog, the pipe could not possibly smoke well, and they send all their briars off to have the airways enlarged. I’ve experienced a great many old pipes that do not even come close to adhering to contemporary airway standards, yet smoke so wonderfully I wouldn’t dream of altering them in any way. Apparently no one explained to these pipes that they were supposed to be hot, wet, constricted, flavorless smokers. I’m certainly not going to clue them in. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

It’s human nature to sometimes fall into the trap of exalting our own hypotheses, becoming so attached to them that we carefully select our evidence to support our suppositions, often falling through the trou de loup of belief onto the sharpened punji sticks of confirmation bias. Worse, we might be tempted to draw erroneous post-hoc conclusions based on incomplete information; when that GBD prince smokes a certain style of tobacco particularly well, we might be tempted to believe that GBDs are best suited for that tobacco, or perhaps that princes are, and then seek to support our hypothesis not by looking for the exceptions, but for agreement. When our favorite tool is is a hammer, we tend to search for nails to bang on.

[Truncated for length]

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited July 2019
    THIS IS A BIG ONE:

Kretek International, Inc. acquires media assets of SpecComm International, including Tobacconist, Pipes & Tobacco, and Cigars & Leisure, CTS Report and TobaccoReviews.com
    https://tobaccobusiness.com/kretek-international-inc-expands-media-platform-with-latest-acquisitions/
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited July 2019
    Always fighting the good fight on behalf of cigar and pipe smokers everywhere, the International Premium Cigar and Pipe Retailers Association (IPCPR) has a new name ~ Premium Cigar Association (PCA)! Although "pipe" is no longer part of the association's name, you may rest assured that our pipe smoking customers are still represented. PCA’s tag line is The Leading Advocate for the Premium Cigar and Pipe Industry.

Learn more about the coming changes for this important association, including opening its doors to consumers:
    https://www.milantobacco.com/PCA-The-Magazine_Organization-Defined-article.pdf

Excerpt:

<<What about including pipes or pipe tobacco as part of the name? Our stakeholders understood, especially in terms of our public face with policymakers, any sort of version of the word tobacco in our name was going to be detrimental to our mission and what we were trying to do. Premium cigars are also a larger focus of regulation, by and large. Most of what we do is built around the premium cigar and the premium cigar exemption. To differentiate ourselves from other tobacco products and drive home those differences, using premium cigar in the name made the most sense. But we do specifically address the inclusiveness of the industry in our tagline: The Leading Advocate for the Premium Cigar and Pipe Industry. Of course we’re still going to be very devoted to pipes and pipe tobacco and we were very cognizant of that during this process. Just because we’re the Premium Cigar Association doesn’t mean we’re not going to continue to fight for pipes or represent pipes or fight for our pipe manufacturers and pipe tobacco manufacturers, as well as our retailers, to sell these products. We recognize this is a change, but we still wanted to make sure that we do them justice within our messaging and the rest of the brand that we use. That’s why the new logo is a tobacco leaf because that’s what represents the entirety of this business—from manufacturing all the way to the consumer, and it includes both premium cigars and pipe tobacco.>>
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Anyone know anything about this site?
    http://www.tobaccocellar.com/i
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
  • Options
    Image I ran across on twitter.

• Options
    @motie2 I believe Tobacco Cellar is a place where you can create a database of all the tobacco in your cellar. I have an account on there, though admittedly I haven't used it in some time. It's a neat little tool though if you want to keep a record of your cellar.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited July 2019
    No guru, no method, no cellar......
    I don't have enough tobacco to cellar. I use the shelf SWMBO allows me to use ;)
  • Options
    I think I joined tobaccocellar.com a few years ago. Like @thebadgerpiper I didn’t do much with it. 

I just use a spreadsheet program on my tablet now.  It works for me and it’s always handy and available. 
  • Options
    Found this on the Briar Report and thought others would enjoy it.

• Options
    Here's the latest Sutliff Newsletter. 
    The Eastfarthing - the new Sutliff blend - sounds like it make scratch the Frogmorton itch for some.
    https://c.na82.content.force.com/servlet/servlet.EmailAttachmentDownload?q=neKF3WtLOIkZsaXd3J195%2FKtzBOlIFIBN1dZaXldfXO7Abo8RgTuqmzBpshjiLwPeYqPgJxA6aftiGxhWwnZUw%3D%3D
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Wowie-Zowie!!!!!!!!

<<
    Sutliff Tobacco is always working to create the best tobaccos to offer our consumers. It is with that intention in mind that we are introducing two new blends for our storied Sutliff Private Stock line. The first is called Eastfarthing, which pays homage to J.R. Tolkien as Frogmorton was a village in the Eastfarthing of the Shire. This delightfully smooth and full-bodied English blend has just enough well-aged, Stoved Latakia to satisfy the most experienced English smoker’s taste, but balanced enough with just a hint of whiskey to create this very interesting English blend. The second, Panna Cotta, allows the smoker to delight in the creamy sweetness of this flavorful blend. Virginia, Black Cavendish and just a touch Burley blended with the delicate flavor of Madagascar Vanilla Bean extracts. Available now – both online and in stores – so get yours today!>>