Home Tobacco Talk

What are you guys smoking right Now?

Comments

• motie2motie2 Master
    I had smoked salmon for dinner. Does that count?
  • I had my first bowl of Panama Jack Key Lime tonight.  It was a quite pleasant surprised.  As the bowl progressed in a Morta, the flavor got stronger and stronger.  I'm going to enjoy this during the heat of the summer as a real change of pace.
  • Midtown Chestnut in a modified MM Cob.MM Good Old Boy
  • dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    Finished a bowl of a newly received sample of Lane BS005 Pure English. Smoked in a Peterson Rocky Donegal bent, one of my oldest pipes, perhaps bought 35 years ago. A very heavy Latakia blend, not quite as I remember the original Balkan Sobranie, but stout. I like stout, in tobacco and beer.
  • Starting my day with BB 1938 in a Stanwell army mount billiard.
  • Orlik Golden Sliced in a billiard of unknown make and origin.
  • Going old school with Captain black Royal and my Kaywoodie ... which by the way is smoking great now after that wet coffee ground treatment. Thanks @PappyJoe
  • Breaking in a new Morgan Bones bowl with a bowl of the Country Lawyer from Briar Works.  It's my first taste of Kentucky Fired and Cigar Wrapper in a mix that I know of.  It won't be my everyday smoke, but its really complex and tasty. 

I like this one and the Peach Cobbler (wife likes the smell of that one)

Not so much.. Sweet Tea.

Undecided - Back down South.
  • Blueberry something or other from Stokebye
  • motie2motie2 Master
    Rained all day. No pipe. Maybe tomorrow.

Welcome @Uwharriebackpacker !!    Was the blueberry any good?

• Balkan Sasieni in a Peterson 314 Meerschaum.
  • I've been spending the day archiving my Ghosts Of Pompeii discography. I recently discovered my Yamaha MD8 digital recorder died so all my master 8 track mini-discs have become useless. And places that repair the machine all suggest the same thing ... it'll cost more to fix it then buy a newer machine with better capability. What they don't understand is I'm done making new music. I just want to save what I have. And making matters worse some of the CD-Rs that had the original albums on them have degraded and won't play either. So I've been spending the day trying to scrounge up what-ever copies I might have laying around the house or stored in the garage so I can archive what-ever material is still salvageable. Luckily by the end of the day I found enough extra working CDs of each album to get all my recorded together and archived. 

I'm not sure if I'm having a premonition of my impending doom or the fact that I turned 67, but for some reason I've been assembling different aspect of my life's story in the event someone might find it interesting. Kinda' weird, morbid and unsettling. But I've spent considerable time lately on the computer creating files in book form breaking things down to my past accomplishments (no matter how minor they were) including a complete list of my past music reviews I've written for websites as well as magazines, the tobacco reviews I did for the group as well as some of the more interesting topics we discussed under the topic "Random Thoughts On Pipe Smoking" ... complete with cool pictures as well as the recent photo shoots. Also included a chapter on several short stories I had published in small press magazines back in the 80s', as well as a bunch of articles published in music and entertainment magazines back in the 80s'. I was doing a lot of writing in the 80s' before transitioning to music in the 90s'. And strangely the music is all instrumental - after all that writing the songs and music contains no lyrics. In retrospect that seems pretty bizarre.  

I'm hoping I'll have something for posterity so when I finally kick the bucket there will be evidence I actually existed. A tangible legacy so that my grandkids will finally realize ... Grandpa might have been a more interesting person than they thought - and maybe should have spent a little time getting to know him as adults. Hard to use Mom and Dad working as an excuse for never visiting, since they all have cars of their own. But I have a feeling that's a pipedream. Chances are I'll be just as uninteresting dead as I am alive. So maybe this is just for my benefit. Though I will admit, it did me a world of good ... It got my heart pumping double-time when I thought I lost my complete Ghosts Of Pompeii music library, and it got me motivated to get up off my ass and spring into action.          

• Kendal Kentucky in a Peterson System 305.
  • John Cotton's Smyrna in my Peterson XL315.
  • motie2motie2 Master
    @ghostsofpompeii -- 67? Sixty-seven? Why, you young whippersnappers don't know what life is about. When you reach my age you'll ..............

[Part of my theory:
    When you're 60, an 70 year old will tell you, "Wait 'til you're my age." 
    When you're 70, an 80 year old will tell you, "Wait 'til you're my age." 
    When you're 80, a 90 year old will tell you the same..... yada, yada, yada.]

Grumpy old man club copy

Addendum: I've found the downside of smoking Barbados Plantation: 

After you smoke a bowl you have less.
  • Nothing.
    Woke up yesterday and my sinuses decided it was a good time to say, "Screw You!" I'm on my second day of NO PIPE because everything taste like crap when the sinus starts draining.
  • Some Frog Morton Cellar my first frog blend.
  • Can't seem to put the Kaywoodie down. Today I filled it up with one of the P&C Russ Monthly blends "Warm-Up". Love that blend. It's easily in my Top 5. Maybe even Top 3.
  • motie2motie2 Master
    Bowl of "remainder blend" in my Charatan Dublin this afternoon, and Barbados Plantation in my original Carey Apple, from 1965, this evening.
  • Balkan Sasieni in a Peterson 314 Meerschaum.
  • C&D's Old Joe Krantz in my OldOakPipe Canadian. Definitely needed a pipe today after some stressful situations.
  • motie2motie2 Master
    Vanilla Custard in a Carey Apple with a flat saddle bit
  • @Rustedrailpipes As I was scrolling down the page I noticed your comment on Panama Jack's Key Lime and wanted to completely agree with you. It's a great tasting tobacco and actually quite refreshing. Not too sweet ... but then again a really good key lime pie (not the type you get from the refrigerated grocery store freezers ... but the type served at a nice restaurant) are not overly sweet, they are tart and creamy. And that's the flavor of Panama Jack's Key Lime. The flavor stays till the end of the bowl. I plan on trying the other fruit flavors in the Panama Jack's line. Seems like the reviews all tend to suggest Key Lime is the best - but I'm still on a quest for assorted fruit flavors to add to my aromatic rotation.     
  • Laid back day, Smoking Haunted Bookshop ia an MM cob Churchwarden  conversion.MM Churchwarden Mod
  • Starting the day with some CH in an MM Patriot. There's some MM1938 waiting for my next bowl.
  • Smoking Early Morning Pipe in my Savinelli Second poker. Great smoking combo.
  • Woodsman - that is a really cool churchwarden. Which MM style was it before modification?
  • motie2motie2 Master
    First time 50/50 mix of Barbados Plantation and Vanilla Custard.

Lesser than either. FAIL

• Senior Chief in a Sailing Shop.
    Will post phot later
  • Say hello to my little friend... The Freight Train.. Big shout out to @thedodifwho created this great cobmod which I had to try with one of my warden stems when I got it.

Man this beast smokes cool even in the first bowl of a usually juicy aromatic I love.

Love the fact that it is easy to clean and love that dark stain and awesome design and craftmanship!

Going to smoke it tonight listening to The Country Squire Radio show with some White Rose aromatic tonight.

Freight Train