Home Tobacco Talk

What are you guys smoking right Now?

Comments

• Wow, amazin how fast the weather changes. Saturday I was runnin around
    town with the top down on the ol Caddy, golfin in shorts and wipin the
    sweat off of my brow in 88 degree weather.

Started drizzlin yesterday and had turned into gully washin rain today and 50's temps.

All that to say that I didn't venture out this afternoon to enjoy a bowl on the office porch.

So, this evening, after a grilled chicken salad and baked potato I found my way up to the mancave.

First bowl, Margate in my Nording Freehand Signature.

Second bowl (the one I'm smokin now), Lane English Luxury in a refurbed Clubman Bent Billiard.

Sippin James Pepper 1776 Bourbon
  • The Tobacco Medley continues...

Carter Hall in the ol Shandy Bent Dublin.  Fantastic smoke tonight, probably the best bowl of CH I've ever had.

Now enjoying one of JimInks recommendations...  D&R Rimboche SJ in the refurbed Rahm Bent Bulldog.  Another great smoke this evening.
  • Starting my morning nice and easy with Lane RR in a Country Gent.
  • Temps are finally back up into the 60's, therefore necessitating the obligatory afternoon lunt.

Today's lunting accessories, you might ask?, why...

Davidoff's Scottish Mixture in the Marxman Smooth Finish Bent Bulldog with black Vulcanite Saddle Bit (work pipe) of course! :)
  • Frog Morton Cellar in a MM Country Gent
  • Lane RR in a big Cayuga bent dublin.
  • Started out the night with SP BC in the Dunhill Rootbriar Pot

Moved on to SP Whiskey in a Joria Smooth Finish Straight Billiard

Now enjoying a great bowl of Dunhill BB 1938 in my ol Shandy Bent Dublin

Sippin bourbon, neat

• On my second bowl of Dunhill MM 965 in a sweet Rahm Bent Bulldog.

My favorite tobacco in my favorite shaped pipe.

Life is good

• Starting my day with the last of my Four Square Cut Plug in an old IRC apple while listening to Eliane Elias.
  • Comoy's Cask No. 5 in a Rinaldo
  • @jim102864 -- So, tell us: what's Mississippi Mud like? Virginia? Burley? Cavendish? Is it good? I ask because I'm interested, and I'd rather get an opinion from someone here rather than go to, say, http://tobaccoreviews.com

Thanks.
  • Ready rubbed in a Wilke NYC Cutter.
  • Lane RR in a Cayuga bent Dublin.
  • Grabbed my Pike's Place yesterday and decided I like it so much that I transferred it to a mason jar for special occasion only. Decided to open a tin of Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding which is an English/Balkan Pressed Tobacco. 

It comes in big chunks and you can either break it up or rub it out. I took one piece and broke it apart into small pieces and then took a couple of the small pieces and rubbed them out. Fresh out of an open tin, this is moist. I packed the small pieces into the bowl first and topped with the rubbed out tobacco and it still took 4 matches to get it burning good. My recommendation, either let the tin sit open for a day or two to dry it out or else break up enough for a bowl on a paper towel and let it sit for an hour to dry out before loading.

This is another very good blend from the Seattle Pipe Club. Nice flavor, aroma and it didn't bite me. I can see why some people like it better than Pike's Place but then again Pike's Place has gone the way of the Dodo bird unless the FDA is brought to heel and SPC can rename it and bring it back to market.

• motie,

I'd recommend reading any of the tobacco reviews by JimInks.

He's a great guy that I've had the opportunity to meet in person.  He is a professional cartoonist and author.

I find his reviews spot on, relative to the tobaccos I've tried.

I actually enjoy trying a tobacco for the first time and then looking up Jim's reviews and seeing if they match my experience.  I find em SpotOn.

• Started out the evening with a great bowl of Margate in my new Luciano Bulldog

[URL=http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/bonanzadriver1/media/image_zpsbilbqeeu.jpeg.html][IMG]http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w457/bonanzadriver1/image_zpsbilbqeeu.jpeg[/IMG][/URL]

Have since moved on to a fantastic bowl of FM Across the Pond in my designated FM pipe...  Clubman Poker
  • Sitting up in the mancave waiting on our baby daughter to come home from her Senior Prom.

It's been one of my tobacco medley eveinings

As stated earlier I started off with Margate in the Luciano

Have since had...

FM Across the pond in my designated FM smoker, Clubman Poker

Dunhill London Mixture in a Clubman Bent Billiard

Found that I had half a bowl of SP Whiskey still sitting in the Joria from the other night... It was great

Just stoked a bowl of D&R Raccoon Accent in my Savanelli Panel Billiard

Sippin Bourbon, neat

• At this moment I just completed smoking CAO Eileen's Dream with a nice cup of decafe coffee since it's so late. Almost 1:00am. As per the advertisement in the Pipes And Cigars catalog it's described thusly: A combination of Irish Cream and WhuteChocolate Truffles. And of the three CAO blends I've tried this seems to be the best. the other two "Black" and "Moontrance" has a decidedly fruity flavor that much more pronounced than the other additives. For instance Moontrance boasts an intricate and unique blend of 100% all natural exotic fruit and bourbon vanilla extracts. Yet on Moontrace the dominant flavor if fruit. I can't detect any vanilla in the smoke or room note - and thr fruit is dominant as well in the tin note. Black is described as a zesty raspberry essence with a gentle sub-note of vanilla and cocoa.  Once again the dominant flavor is raspberry with just a touch of sweetness associated with vanilla and the slightest trace of cocoa.

The room note of Eileen's Dream is quite mild and sparse as the aroma dissipates quite rapidly leaving little aroma behind. You almost can't tell anyone was smoking in the room. I was smoking in doors in the family room since it's so cold and damp in the garage this evening so usually when that happens I go through the house after my smoke with a can of air freshener to mask the smell ... but in this case there was barely any smell to contain. The smoke is smooth, and bite free with the slightest flavor of a Baileys Bristol Cream liqueur. Nothing about the blend is over powering from the tin note, to the flavor, or the room note. This may not sound like a ringing endorsement but the smooth smoke provided quite a pleasant smoking experience without any real burst of flavors in my mouth. It's the type of blend I'll continue to enjoy so long as there is tobacco in the tin - but once it's empty I doubt that I'll buy another can.   

• McCranie's Murdock's Pipe in a dedicated Stanwell bent egg.
  • @ghostsofpompeii -- Thank you. As ever, you've provided good guidance for someone interested in an untried tobacco.
  • @bonanzadriver - You should have been on the front porch, smoking a cob and cleaning your shotgun.
  • Butera Pelican, in a Boswell Poker with plateau rim, weighing in at 47 grams.....BoswellPoker-1
  • @xDutchx - ok, I admit it: I'm envious of that beauty.
  • Davidoff Flake Medallion in my Zac Hamrick Snapping Turtle.

I'll have to find a photo of it.
  • Just finished one of my tobacco stacking bowls and the combination proved to be a good one. Bottom layer CAO "Eileen's Dream", middle layer "Sutliff Pumpkin Spice", and at the top of the bowl Boswell's "Christmas Cookie". Smoked it in one of my H.S. Studio Pipes.

I just finished a review of CAO Eileen's Dream and have to say that in combination with the other two blends when I got down to that bottom layer containing the Eileen's Dream it was much more flavorful that I'd written in my original review. As the flavor from the other two blends worked their way down to the bottom layer it really transformed the taste of Eileen's Dream, and that last third of the bowl was truly a flavor explosion. The bottom of the bowl was a bit goopy - but to my surprise even that goop had a relatively pleasant smell as I was cleaning out the bowl with a paper towel. Which is usually not the case..    

• SPC Plum Pudding in a Savinelli Churchwarden. Sitting in the garage and watching the thunderstorms roll through.
  • H&H Mid-Town Chestnut in a Wally Frank POM Horn.

Wally Frank POM Horn