Home Tobacco Talk
Options

What are you guys smoking right Now?

Comments

• Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @jfreedy glad you like it. I really enjoy it. 
  • Options
    Ron191Ron191 Master
    Rattray's Red Rapparee in a small Dr Grabow. This is one of the tobaccos I occasionally return to. The can I'm smoking out of is years old has acquired some mellowness. I'm trying some oolong tea with it I picked up at Big Lots. (Yeah I'm cheap) it is surprisingly good but a little overpowered by the tobacco. I think I'll have some Maltese Falcon just to compare. 

The Maltese Falcon is much brighter and more flavorful. It smokes cooler as well since it is better hydrated. It is an interesting contrast between aged and relatively fresh tobacco. It also shows the advantage of a small bowl allowing the time for multiple tobaccos in one sitting. 
  • Options
    Smoked a bowl of Briarworks Peach Cobbler yesterday and it is proof that you can't age aromatic pipe tobaccos.

I was given the in June 2017 for Father's Day and I am down to the last three or four bowls. Yesterday the wife asked what I was smoking because it smelled just like tobacco. I have the admit, the peach flavor and aroma which used to be present was no longer there.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe
    Hence the reason I vacuum seal the aromatics, and leave the virginias and VaPers with hand tight lids on my mason jars.  I'd rather have the casing/top-note/flavor/aroma in aromatics stay, than to worry about aging and lose the reason I bought the tobacco in the first place.  I know it won't age, but that is ok, at least it will retain its' "reason for being" a bit longer.
    The aging was very noticeable in my first jar of SG "Firedance".  I did not vacuum seal the jar until a few years had passed.  When I did finally start vacuum sealing my jars, I noticed that the "Firedance" had turned a very dark singular color and had lost most..if not all of its' berry aroma.  I recently bought another tin and combined them (sacrilege, I don't know?), but I am hoping that the new tobacco will impart some of it's flavor/aroma into the mix.  I did not actually mix them together, more like pushed the older tobacco to one side and added the newer tobacco to the other.  I guess I will see what happens? 
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar - I understand what you are saying but maybe I miss-stated what I was stating. I wasn't attempting to age the tobacco, I just didn't smoke it that often (probably why I still have some left after two years.) I thought I was going to like it and smoke it often but then I kept finding new blends to try so this has sat neglected. On the other hand, while I didn't vacuum seal the jar, I did have to pry off the lid, so it was sealed fairly tightly.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @PappyJoe  You wrote (above) "I understand what you are saying but maybe I miss-stated what I was stating. "     Try this instead:

"“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.” ~ Robert McCloskey"
  • Options
    Orlik Golden Slice in a Bjarne.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe I sure hope what your saying is wrong because I have a  cellar full of nothing but aromatics. Most are jarred. Hate to think that instead of stocking up for the uncertain future I've simply wasted all my money stockpiling tasteless weeds.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY and many more @Ron191 😁
  • Options
    @PappyJoe
    Yes, I realized that it was just neglected tobacco.  I just thought I would mention my (hopefully successful) attempt to keep my aromatics....aromatic🙂.  I am not certain it will work as planned though.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar @ghostsofpompeii

If the jars are filed to the top the tobacco will possibly retain its aromatic qualities. This jar was less than a quarter full so it had plenty of air in it.
  • Options
    The SG “Firedance” had a nice hand-tight seal for several years as well, but it was not vacuum sealed.  The tobacco definitely aged, but at the same time it lost most of its’ aromatic quality.  I was wondering why I could smell fresh tobacco sometimes coming from by backyard cabinet sometimes....all the jars were hand-tight sealed, and had to be pried off when I went to load a bowl.   Occasionally I would hear the “pop” of mason jars lids, they were “breathing” with temperature and barometric pressure changes...and aging.
  • Options
    @Ron191 Happy Birthday!

Smoking some MacBaren Old Dark Fired in my Stanwell Liverpool pipe. Haven't smoked this blend in some time, but after tonight that'll change.

• Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @thebadgerpiper, that's one of my favorite blends. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Ron191 -- I fondly remember being 63   (.... small, wistful smile.....) :'(
  • Options
    @Ron191 ~ HBD, Old timer & Many Happy More!!!
  • Options
    The "original and still the best", Captain Black (white)
  • Options
    Out lunting on a beautiful day in the West Hills of Portland Oregon. Enjoying some Presbyterian Mixture in an EA Carey magic inch bent viking.

• Options
  • Options
    Ron191Ron191 Master
    Thank you gentleman for all the kind birthday wishes. I'm sitting out back savoring my way though the second bowl of Cap Black Classic in a bent Missouri Meerschaum. The CB is really working tonight. 

A storm came through and delivered some needed rain and cooled things off. Nothing left to do but sip on this pipe and enjoy the evening. Life is good. 
  • Options
    Glad your birthday was special, @Ron191. Smoking a bowl is the best way to cap it off!

I'm enjoying a bowl of McClelland 2000 Fragrant Matured Cake in my new MM Dagner poker. 
  • Options
    I continue to be under the weather so it’s been nearly 3 days since I enjoyed a smoke. I’m feeling a little bit better tonight and it’s a gorgeous evening to sit outside. I’m enjoying a bowl of Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake. It is sublime! I actually packed it in a Carey Freehand 3 days ago but didn’t get up the gumption to smoke it until tonight. 
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Finishing up my watering and gardening while doing some Sutliff Black Cherry in a reworked and refurbished no-name...
  • Options
    Just finished a bowl of 221-B Baker St. – Toasted Cavendish laced with Latakia, then blended with White Burley and Golden Virginia to produce a sweet, fuller bodied smoke, yet cool and slow burning on a Missouri Meerschaum. I really slowed down and picked up on the sweetness. It isn't syrupy sweet. It is just enough to let the other flavors shine. 

I'm working on a bowl of Sleepy Creek on a Dr Grabow Duke. Cherry Vanilla isn't my first pick for flavors bit it does make a break from what I usually smoke. The cherry tastes like cherry. There isn't the weird chemical taste that a lot of OTC brands are notorious for. I haven't had trouble with ghosting either.