Home The Pack
Options

Welcome to The Pack!

Comments

• Options
    Nice post @IndyJG - Looking forward to your input.
  • Options
    Hey Folks, I joined a few days ago and am just getting around to introducing myself. Name's Stuart Bowman from Fairfax, VA. I first got interested in the pipe in college in the late 90's and for a while I trolled alt.smokers.pipes (but never seriously participated in those discussions). Probably bought my first pipe around '99 off ebay. I've puffed off & on since then, but my enjoyment of pipes and tobacco have really increased over the past 2-3 years. Why? Well, I've been listening to the Pipes Magazine Radio show and, more recently, Country Squire Radio, and those have served to educate me significantly. I think my understanding of pipes, tobacco, and the community have been helped tremendously by those two podcasts. 

Aside from pipes, I'm also married & have four kiddos. In my other life, you can find me on GitHub by the same handle: @buffetboy2001

Cheers!
  • Options
    @buffetboy01 - I assume you are also a fellow parrothead? 
  • Options
    :)@mangoandy, nope, not really. In this case it's buffet as in long tables of food, not Jimmy. Buffet-boy was a humorous nickname I received college for having a penchant for all-you-can-eat Chinese buffets. 
  • Options
    Welcome new members!
  • Options
    Hey Ya'll 
    My name is Chuck. I attempted smoking a pipe in high school and loved the idea but not the outcome. I served 20 years in the army and tinkered with smoking a pipe on and off but never stuck with it. This last time I finally looked on line and found out what my mistakes were and am using this to relax and kick a 25 year cigarette habit. 
    What really got me interested was my grandfather he smoked a pipe as long as i could remember.   
  • Options
    IndyJGIndyJG Apprentice
     Welcome @tbonevffv. I too have fond memories of my grandfather's pipe smoking.
  • Options

I'm a newcomer to the list, I smoked my 1st pipe at 15 and a pipe for 25 years, I quit when the Kids came along and started again in 2001. I did, however, hold on to my surviving pipes(Many fell to wear and tear,) so picking them up again was not a problem. it was like renewing a friendship with a long absent friend. So, now at 75 I'm back and enjoying stuffing the Old Petersons and Wally Franks with all these new tobaccos. My oldest pipe is a Medico I bought in the PX after my Kaywoodie was lost from my boot, so far it has had 3 stems. 

I'm enjoying wandering through the site and throwing a comment here and there.  

• Options
    Welcome to new folks since my last visit.
  • Options
    Welcome to all new members. 
  • Options
    Welcome @tbonevffv and @Woodsman looking forward to your input and participation.
  • Options
    Name's Tompall, I've been smoking a pipe since about 2001or 02. I starting pipe making about 2010, and restoring pipes in 2012. I enjoy different blends with no set prefence of tobacco.

I learned about this site on my visit to the Dublin NASPC show. That was a blast, pleasure meeting everyone.
  • Options

Hi there!

I am Lauren, I am a new pipe smoker. I recently picked up the craft because I wanted to grow in my knowledge of tobacco. I also wanted to kick the habit of cigs. But most importantly, I wanted to find a hobby that allowed me to have a bit of relaxation. Between the hustle and bustle of everyday life, things I used to do, I don't have as much time for, but a pipe fit that void just nicely.

I have always been enamored by the look of a bent pipe while reading a book with a cup of coffee. No one in my family smokes a pipe, and no one in my immediate family smoked, so to do this, I am very reliant on any and all information I can get from you all in the pipe commune.

So thank you for letting me say hello and I hope you all have a wonderful day! Happy pipeing!

• Options
    Welcome to the pack!
  • Options
    @ltdicrisi and @jeepnewbie - Welcome to the pack. Ask any and all questions you want. Forum members will either have the answer or we will make one up for you.
  • Options
    IndyJGIndyJG Apprentice
    A warm welcome to all new members!
  • Options
    Welcome to everyone who has joined since I last popped in to say hello. If you have questions, browse through Ask an Expert - that's a great place to start - your question may have been answered already. If it hasn't been, ask away!
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    @josiahWN Welcome to This Pipe Life, a lot of good info and knowledge here. Sorry to hear about your local tobacconist I live in Cincinnati so I wouldn't be much help. I hope the same doesn't happen to the few left here.
  • Options
  • Options
    Hello from Lexington Kentucky. My name is Jack Isaacs and have been smoking pipes on and off for several years.My tobacco of choice is normally cherry vanilla from the local tobacconist.I also have an arsenal of other tobaccos including some with Latakia. 
  • Options
    Hello everyone,
    My name is John, born and raised in Montana. I started smoking pipes October 2013...and I can't really say why....just because...I guess.
    I have a bad? habit (not smoking), of collecting things. I have around 400 pipes and 100 different kinds of tobacco.....so far.
    I like restoring old pipes and saving a little part of the craftsmanship and history in these old pipes in the process.
    I have made one pipe from a pre-bored block...it turned out ok...it was drilled way way off center, but I made it work and it smokes fine. I have made two more from briar blocks that I purchased from Mark Tinsky of American Smoking Pipe Company here in Montana. They both turned out great. One, a nose-warmer stacked Liverpool and the other a hybrid? nose-warmer stacked Bulldog...a unique shape I really don't know how to describe. I plan on making more pipes, and restoring/repairing more as well. I have a few Tinsky pipes....hey, I from Montana, I think it is required. Now I need to get a pipe from Micah Cryder over in Missoula Montana, the craftsman of beautiful Yeti pipes.
  • Options
    trucks49 oct 30  
    I started smoking a pipe almost two years ago after quitting cigarettes after 40 years never smoked a cig again and after
    trying many tobaccos I am stuck on captain black now great tobacco
  • Options
    Hello and welcome, looks like you're well on the way in the craft.
  • Options
    Hello all,

My name is Nick, I have been a pipe smoker since 09' and have loved every minute of it. I've been on PSF for quite a while now, that forum has taught me so much about this hobby, and is full of some wonderful people!! So, why not join another that has equally as many nice people? Anyway, I live in hi-desert of CA. There are a few pipe smokers up here, unfortunately; we seldom meet. I started smoking when I found my great-grandfathers pipe in the garage; a Dr. Grabow Crown Duke. After countless hours on YouTube, I learned how to clean it and smoke it. I love VaPers and my favorite pipe is an old "French Briar" belge/cutty, the perfect flake pipe. Well, I'm happy to be here and thanks for having me!!

Cheers and Happy Puffing,

-Nick
  • Options
    Hi all,

I'm Tanner and I've been smoking a pipe for just over 2 years now. Growing up my Godfather was an avid pipe and cigar smoker and his tobacco of choice was Captain Black Royal. Being as he was a major influence on my life, I felt there was no better way to keep his memory alive than by picking up the pipe. Naturally my first smoke was Captain Black Royal in a Savinelli sand blasted Nonpareil, and I was instantly hooked. Since then my collection has grown from 3 pipes to 16 and have fallen in love with Virginia and Virginia Perique blends. What I am currently hooked on is IRC slices, and McClelland No. 5100 Red Cake. Currently living in Houston with my lovely wife as a minister/ urban church planter. I am not a member of any pipe club, but have started trying to spend as much time as I can at the Briar Shoppe. If you are in Houston I would love to have a smoke and a drink, always looking to meet fellow pipe smokers.