Home The Pack
Options

Welcome to The Pack!

Comments

• Options
    BoatsnBoatsn Newcomer
    Yep I was a boatswains mate Pappy, nice to meet ya.
  • Options
       Hello to all! My name is Tim (TDSchiraldi) and I live in Ohio. I tried smoking a pipe years ago, but gave it up. I picked it back up in December of last year. My first pipe was an H.I.S. apple shaped pipe and, yes, I still have it. I received several of my Dad's old pipes from a friend of ours to whom my father gave them twenty years ago. I have since purchased more pipes (PAD?). My collection now includes 32 pipes. I have discovered that I tend to favor the Italians (Castello, Caminetto, Ascorti, Mastro Beraldi, old Savinelli Nonpareils, etc.)  I found the site through the Country Squire podcast. I have been working my way through their archives, along with the Pipes Magazine podcasts.
  • Options
    Hello, my name is Greg, and I hail from upper Illinois by the Wisconsin border. I've been a pipe smoker for about four years now. I never had any pipe smoking relatives, but as a kid and teen I found pipe smokers interesting. I'd lurk on the pipes.org archives as a teen and read old issues about pipe smokers and how they got into the hobby.

Eventually in 2012, I finally decided to become a pipe smoker and ordered my first Peterson pipe off of smokingpipes.com. I enjoyed it from the first moment and haven't looked back. Since then, I've acquired about 32 briars and a few cobs. I veer mostly to VaPer blends, but I enjoy Lakeland and English blend as well. When I smoke around others, though, I'll pick a good aromatic.

Found this place based on the recommendations of thesubcon, and decided to join the community. Looking forward to chatting about pipes with all of you!
  • Options
    CcdeereCcdeere Newcomer
    Hi all,

I'm Chris. I'm in Phoenix, AZ. I've been enjoying my pipe life for about a year now. I'm enjoying exploring blends and the basic relaxing joy of my pipe. Beautiful site.
  • Options
    Been in here for a few days now, been smoking a pipe for several years, loved the smell of pipe since I was very young but didn't start smoking one until I was in my late 20's. 
    I also smoke Cigars and love them as well.
  • Options
    Would love to see a new topic or two in Education. 
    Could add a pipe burn/maintenance section and a how to pack your pipe section, when I was starting no one taught me these things, still to this day I don't get my pipes packed all that good. 
    Maybe someone could make some videos and they could be added to the education section? 
  • Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Mike and I've been smoking a pipe since 1977. I currently live in Jacksonville, FL (I moved here from the Maryland suburbs of Washington, DC in 2014) and have roughly 150 or so pipes in my collection. I enjoy smoking aromatics primarily, although I'll occasionally smoke a non aromatic as a change of pace, albeit rarely. Since moving here and making new friends, I have introduced a number of them to my favorite hobby - which they now enjoy - earning me the nickname of "The Pied Piper of Pipes", lol. I look forward to being an active member of this community and discussing what I consider to be my favorite pastime, smoking a pipe!
  • Options
    MaverickMaverick Newcomer
    Hi I am Dave and I have only been smoking since I was 55 and two years later at 57 I am enjoying the adventure!!!

Started with pipes and added the occasional cigar, but prefer my pipes! Started with a very cheap cob and now have maybe 40 pipes, mostly briar and estates but also a few new ones and better cobs and a couple of meerschaums.

Still exploring all the various tobaccos out there. Started with aromatics but find them lacking and now very much into non-aromatics including English, Orientals, Virginias and VaPers.

The adventures continue!!!
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    I'm a happily married 50 something with two grown boys who has been smoking pipes and cigars since I was in high school. I've been active in the online pipe scene since the early days in the late eighties and been attending pipe shows regularly sine 1997. I'm a budget collector but I've built a few collections over the years but my Castello Epoca collection is what put me on he map. Here are a couple of albums of what I've put together. The latest is from last summer but the collection has grown since!
    https://plus.google.com/photos/104611199703561251325/albums/5877073340317230689
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6S7CCGs1FPCS0tqN3hkOWJRYUE/edit
    http://s135.photobucket.com/user/Davesixtythree/library/KC2015

• Options
    Hello All: I am new to this community. My name is Craig Cobine. I am an active member of the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club, and I have been smoking a pipe since 1970.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    @porshcigar Hey Craig, great picture. You and I sat at the same table this year during the slow smoke competition. I have to say you and everyone else did another phenomenal job hosting the Chicago Pipe Show; the 2016 CPCC was a blast! I don't know how you do it but every year it keeps getting better and better. Great to see you here on THISPIPELIFE.
  • Options
    Thank you Dave. I am happy you enjoyed the 2016 Show. Please come back for the May 6 & 7, 2017 Show. Our motto for 2017 is "You ain't seen nothing yet !"
  • Options
    luckyguyluckyguy Newcomer
    I am an oldtimer in age and pipe smoking.  Tried a couple of crappy aromatics in the Army using a meer lined cheap pipe from the PX.  No chile peppers could make the tongue burn more.  As I was leaving Germany I bought a good meerschaum and started to experiment with tobaccos.  Several months later I was at Ohio State U. where I bought a GBD at the original Smokers' Haven and gradually a few Lane Era Charatans.   Professors and students both smoked in the classrooms in those days and pipes were always welcome to cover the cigarette smoke.  Latakia became a favorite.  When I entered the work world, I smoked only in the evenings and on weekends.  In the mid-80's I had grown tired of not finding tobaccos I really liked and stopped smoking.  Gave my 7 pipes away to a teacher who smoked aromatics too hot and got burnouts.  When I retired I started with pipes again after years of smoking cigars.  I had to relearn everything about pipes and tobaccos.  Now I have a collection of 58 pipes with some rare unique ones, including a Teddy Knudsen, Ilsted, Barbi, Charatan, and Rasmussen.  Most of my pipes are mid to high grade Italians but I also have American made and meerschaums.  No two pipes look alike.  Having achieved a collection that met my unique criteria, I am now ready to sell the 7 or 8 jewels, all unsmoked.  I just joined this group so I don't know if it is proper to advertise yet.  I have reached a pinnacle both in my retirement and smoking experience.  Life has never been more enjoyable; youth is wasted on the young they say.  Pipe smoking is both an art and a science, and those who smoke but do not smoke a pipe neither understand nor appreciate the joys of good tobacco.  My catch phrase is "pipe smoker by virtue of natural law".  You can overtax me, make my government a shame and laughing stock, let our children grow into uneducated incompetents, foster crime by not instilling values, change our culture through illegal immigration, and let the world go to hell by not leading it, but don't interfere with my right to smoke.
  • Options
    DernierDernier Newcomer
    edited June 2016
    I picked up pipe smoking about 4-5 years ago after working in a tobacco shop that was mostly premium cigars. After long enough, I started picking up a cigar every day or two. I would get a different one most every time to try something new. Got into learning about all the different cigars, leaves, and etc. 
    Bought my first pipe, a little $45 rusticated Paronelli saddle billiard, and tried some tobacco. I don't even remember what bulk it was, but it was not so great...lol. Eventually, I found an old local brick and mortar that I bought my first and second pipe from. That's when I really started enjoying pipe smoking and decided to get a nice pipe. Now I have "nerd-ed out" with the hobby. I spend a good bit of spare time learning about it.
    Oh, probably my favorite tobacco is somewhere in the VAs can't pick one. I have several different pipes but gravitate to Danish ones. I belong to The Magnolia Pipe Club here in MS.
  • Options
    Dernier, welcome to the Pack. Is that "old brick and mortar" the Country Squire by any chance?
  • Options
    KcwarthogKcwarthog Newcomer
    Hi my name is Tom but online I go by KCWarthog. Served 7 years in the Air Force as a crew chief on the A-10 Warthog. I started smoking pipes about 4 years ago after a life changing event. If you would like to see my artwork and drawings do a google search for kcwarthog and you can see my art and my story. I don't mind telling my story because I think more people need to talk about the issue of Anxiety, Depression and Suicide Prevention especially amoung Veterans. I feel like if I can help one person and stop the stigma of mental health issues.
    Thanks
  • Options
    @Kcwarthog
    Hi Tom. Welcome to the pack and thank you for your service to this country and you efforts to get people talking about a very serious veterans issue. 

I'm a retired Coastie by the way
  • Options
    Hi everyone!  I'm Paul, a/k/a "Chipbreaker".  I'm 57, closing in on 58.  I live with my wife and a flock of assorted critters in the beautiful Ozark foothills of NE Oklahoma within the friendly confines of the Great Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma. I live WAY out in the boondocks and wouldn't have it any other way. I enjoy smoking a bowl two -sometimes three- times every day and I'm partial to aromatics.  My preferred tobaccos are the bulk brands "Otter Creek" and "Vanilla Black Cavendish".  I also like "Bagpiper's Dream" from Rattrays.  I'll smoke a Latakia heavy blend occasionally for a change of pace. I've been making pipes for awhile now and I really enjoy it.  I don't sell my work, but I'm thinking about doing so - maybe in the fall.  I also have an ever-growing little machine shop and there is nothing I would rather do than work in metal.  I'm really partial to lathe work. Officially I am retired and disabled.  Waiting for a liver transplant.  So, I don't work very hard.  In fact I don't do anything that I think would pass for work.  Its all fun stuff nowadays for me.  Look forward to being a part of this forum.  Thanks
  • Options
    pipesithpipesith Newcomer
    Hi all, My name is Bill I've been enjoying a pipe for about 9 years. The relaxation and pleasure I get from pipe smoking is unmatched. I prefer Latakia blends but like just about everything.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    Ken from Connecticut here. I've actually been smoking a pipe for a little over 50 years now. My much admired grandfather smoked a pipe: often a little one that he filled with Liberty tobacco. He didn't want me to start smoking cigarettes, so with my parent's approval he gave me my first pipe when I was 16.

Smoked a lot of different blends over the years, most notably London Dock, John Rolfe, and Flying Dutchman. Discovered Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey many years ago and it's been my go to blend ever since. I've been trying some new things lately, including Ole Shenandoah and Tsuge. Some of them are quite good, but I often end up just mixing them with the Borkum Riff.
  • Options
    19Echoes19Echoes Newcomer
    Hello Everyone;

Michael here; living in Indianapolis for the last 10 years. I've been pipe smoking since the late 1980's. I've a collection of almost a dozen of different types including a churchwarden, meerschaums, a Danish Bari, and an Italian Monti. My current favorites (believe it or not), are the Monti, A Missouri Meerschaum Corncob that is perfectly broken in, and a simple white clay "tavern pipe", that I also use as a period smoker for ACW reenacting.
    I'm currently finishing up a mixture of "Wall Street" and one of "Old Hickory" from the now gone, Hardwicks in downtown Indy.
    I'll try almost anything but try to keep away from the "cherry stuff" or anything with a strong "bourbon" to it, as it irritates my throat.
    Glad to meet everyone!
  • Options
    HeySparkyHeySparky Newcomer
    Hi all.  My name is Russ and I reside in eastern PA.  Have been a pipe smoker for just over a year so I'm still a babe in all of this :)  

My dad smoke a pipe so growing up I was always enjoying the smell of his smoking.  Pretty sure I remember Half and Half as one of his favorites.  He used to send me to the corner store to get some when he was low on it.  Try doing that today - sending your kid to the store to pick you up some pipe tobacco   haha

My avatar is a picture of my father.  It's the only picture I have of him with a pipe so I use it in his honor

I mostly enjoy aromatics and some latakia

Glad to be here

• Options
    Hello everyone!  My name is Richard and I have been smoking pipes since starting college in 1976.  I have always loved the look and the aroma of pipes!  Of all my friends that started smoking pipes with me, I am the only one who has continued all these years.  I have quite a large collection of pipes (over 200) and my favorite tobacco is burley.  I smoke Sir Walter Raleigh, Carter Hall & Prince Albert.  I am looking forward to getting to know more of you and more about pipe smoking!  You can never learn too much!!!
  • Options
    I'm just a professor who enjoys a good pipe and the contemplation and relaxation it brings...preferably on a tropical beach. 
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    Hey everyone.  My name is Ryan and I'm from Fort Worth, TX.  I've been smoking a pipe for about 7 years on and off again.  I just quit cigarettes a year and a half ago and finally started smoking my pipe on a more regular basis and love it even more now.  It's amazing how good the pipe is when you stop trying to huff it down.  I have really bad PAD... first step is admitting it, second step is buying another pipe...  I'm loving this site so far and getting to know a few of you 
  • Options
    judandhispipejudandhispipe Master
    edited July 2016
    I'm Jud from Detroit. I started smoking a pipe in 1968, when I went off to college, because I thought that's what a college man did. I think my first blend was John Rolfe - I have no idea what my first pipe was. These were the days when the drugstore by my campus (Michigan State - Go Green!) had a lot of tobacco, and I tried a lot of different things. Smoked too much Borkum Riff, but also smoked a fair amount of Sail (Yellow and Ivory) and Troost.
    Then I started going into Campbell's Smoke Shop in East Lansing. He had shelves full of all sorts of wonderful blends; unfortunately I never kept track of what I smoked. I know I smoked both BS Original and 759 (liked Original better), Presbyterian, and State Express London. I simply smoked whatever caught my eye.
    Moved to Detroit after college. Bought house blends from Churchill's of Birmingham,and then from Hill & Hill. Both of these shops sell house blends that are not  re-labelled Lane's. Jim Simon at H&H had a blend called Golden Ash -a  balkan - that I really liked. Then he couldn't get it any longer. Smoked another of his house blends for a while, then drifted over to cigars for a few years.
    Came back to the pipe around 2003, with a tin of C&D Strathspey. Have smoked a ton of blends since then, as well as having upgraded my pipe rotation quite a bit. Rarely smoke aros - smoke a fair number of lat blends, Virginias, and burleys. Don't care for perique much; definite nic wuss, and not bothered by it.
    I'm more apt to make comments than start a thread, so probably won't get many fancy titles, and not bothered by that.
    I've got one piece of advice that I pass out to newcomers on a regular basis. "Smoke the best tobacco you can afford in the best pipe you can afford." If all you can afford is Velvet in a MM, then bless you. Don't be stingy, though; there's a difference between being frugal and being stingy.
    Almost forgot to mention: Retired IT; three grown daughters; voracious reader; widowed.
  • Options
    Welcome everyone! I love reading the stories, keep 'em up and keep posting!
  • Options

newbee intro here...

Im Aj from Lost Causes, New Mexico. I started smoking a pipe about a year ago after finding my an old pipe in some junk that belonged to my wife's uncle. I do love tobacco period, as I enjoy it in just about every form. I wouldn't call myself an expert, as I still suffer from bite and packing issues - but the challenge keeps me coming back for more!

I like mostly Lats, finding the MM American patriot my fave right now, with F-Morton on the town a close second. I also like the PIPA kits a lot, I tend to break pipes in the shop so corn is a wise choice. My go to pipe is a Stanwell 243 and good ol MM cobs.

I am definitely excited to be a part of this group I look forward to learning more!

• Options
    Hi, my name is Bill, I live in the Cleveland, Ohio area. I smoked my first pipe in 1983 when I turned 21. I like big pipes, mostly billiards and Virginia tobacco. I started The Cleveland Pipe Club, looking for members, anyone in the NE Ohio area? I attend the NASPC show every year. After 33 years in the hobby I learned a lot, always happy to help out new people to the hobby. Looking forward to being a part of this community.
  • Options
    JosiahWNJosiahWN Newcomer
    My name is Josiah. I live in Minneapolis Minnesota. I've been smoking pipe about four years and love all sorts of different blends. Just depends on the day. My local tobacconist just closed down though so if anyone knows of good tobacconists in the Minneapolis St. Paul area I'd love to hear about them.