Home The Pack
Options

Welcome to The Pack!

Comments

• Options
    Hello, Name is Abb and I am from Bethlehem a small town in GA. 
  • Options
    Welcome @corey562! Hope you really get involved in the forum!
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    My name is Michael, I live in Oregon. I've been smoking pipe for about 12 years now and still feel like a novice (always something to learn and always new tobaccos to smoke). I look forward to expanding my knowledge and talking with fellow pipe enthusiasts here. 
  • Options
    Welcome Michael @mhajec We are looking forward to learning from your expertise! 
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    More like trial by error, LOL. And hell, I'm a newb when it comes to you 20+ yr smokers. I'm just glad to be a part of a like minded community. 
  • Options
    Don't worry @mhajec, there are plenty of newbies here, you will be fine, learn a lot, and contribute!
  • Options
    mkannemkanne Newcomer
    Hi everyone, my name's Micheal (not misspelled, E before A in mine) and I'm 28. Been smoking a pipe for coming up on two years. I, like many, am still tasting different different tobaccos to really find what suits me. So far I've been drawn most to McClellands Virginia woods and forg Morton cellar, along with Mississippi River. I live in a really small town of about 100 people so I'm definitely looking for some fellow pipers to interact with since no one I've ever known has smoked a pipe.
  • Options
    johnscsjohnscs Newcomer
    Hi there. John here. I guess I belong to the middle-aged demographic. I first smoked a pipe in my teens and became serious about it at 18, when I was a college freshman. I love pipes, pipe tobacco (mostly aromatics), the ritual of pipe smoking, and especially the camaraderie of the hobby. I won't claim to be an expert, but I'm always happy to encourage newcomers to the pipe. I look forward to getting acquainted and to learning more from everyone.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    Welcome to all.

@mkanne we are all still learning. It's fun with this group as the different walks of life keep Taichung us all new things
  • Options
    Welcome @johnscs, glas to have you aboard!
  • Options
    Good evening all! My name is James and I live in Houston. I'm 45, married with two teenagers and a tribe of friendly cats. I teach Fine Arts at a high school. As far as I know, there aren't many pipe smokers on my side of the city (NW), and I'm thrilled to find a community of fellow pipe enthusiasts here on TPL!
  • Options
    Hello everyone,  My name is Matt and I'm from Chippewa Falls, WI.  Chippewa Falls is the home of Leinenkugel's Beer.  Anyhow I first bought a Dr. Grabow pipe when I was 18 in the year 1990.  I first tried Middleton's Apple and Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey.  I remember them being awful and it didn't help that I knew nothing about pipes. I quickly gave that up but I did return to pipes in the early 2000s.  I was fortunate enough to smoke some blends then that no longer exist now (except in MATCH form) like Sugar Barrel and Hickory.  I'll admit proudly that I really am not that big into "premium blends".   I rather prefer the OTC blends for the most part. I love Granger, Half and Half, and believe it or not my favorite blend of all time is Mixture 79 smoked in a Missouri Meerschaum Ozark (hardwood) pipe.  On the other hand I do believe that Plum Pudding may be the best latakia blend ever produced.  So yes occasionally I do smoke/try some premium blends but I always fall back to my old standbys.  In any case I love smoking a pipe and thoroughly enjoy the relaxation it provides along with the moments of clarity that rarely come from anything else.  Cheers.
  • Options
    @MatthewJames Welcome! I  agree - I greatly enjoy my quiet time in the evening relaxing with my pipe. I also rather prefer the OTC blends for daily enjoyment.  Captain Black orginal is my go to blend, and I've recently discovered that Velvet is quite nice. I haven't tried Granger though I'd like to . That was my wife's late grandfather's preference and we have one of his metal Granger tins proudly displayed on the bookshelf. 
  • Options
    Welcome @jamesH71! There are a few great tobaccoinsts in HTown, so I am sure they can help connect you with more pipe smokers.
  • Options
    Welcome to the board @MatthewJames! I'm glad to hear you like the OTCs, you will bring a great perspective to this group!
  • Options
    Welcome to you all!
  • Options
    And welcome to you @matthewjames as well!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Hey everyone! My name is JD. I bought my first pipe in Hawaii in 2003. Dr. Grabow Grand Duke Straight. I used it maybe 5 times and put it in storage when I moved back to Texas. I found it yesterday while cleaning out the storage and thought why not get into it for real. I took the pipe to a local tobacco shop in Plano Tx called Lone Star State Cigar Co.. I went in and explained how I wanted to get into smoking and they were very kind and helpful. Even tough I'm a complete newbie they didn't make me feel like one. I had never been in a lounge before and it was a unique experience. Really mellow place with lots of leather seating, TV's, pipes, tobacco, lighters, humidors and many other items I'm sure I missed. I'll have to go back when I can and chill for a bit. 
  • Options
    Welcome @BlueSmoke! I hope we can help answer your questions. Just don't let these jack asses scare you away :)
  • Options
    @bluesmoke  another Lone Star State piper. Welcome.  Like @pipeprofessor said don't be afraid to ask questions we love to answer them even though we might get off topic.  
  • Options
    @pipeprofessor Hey!!!! That's not nice, we are domesticated equine of the stubborn variety...
  • Options
    Haha @drac2485 I like the way you put it!
  • Options
    @pipeprofessor and @thewanderingdude, thank you very much for the kind welcomes! 
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome everyone. I sure enjoyed a second day of smoking my pipe.  
  • Options
    Hi, all. 

Pipe smoker of 11-12 years from Northeast Ohio, here.  I've been a member of various forums and online communities over the years, and figured it was time I ventured over to TPL and check the place out.  Good to meet you all!
  • Options

Welcome idbowman, great to finally see you here.

• Options
    Welcome to everyone who has posted here since I did.

• Options
    IndyJGIndyJG Apprentice
    Hi all! My name is Jason. I'm 37 and living in Indianapolis, Indiana. Discovered this site through the full page ad in the latest Pipes & Tobacco magazine.  I have been smoking pipes for about four years. Started out as a cigar smoker about ten years back, and wanted to try pipe smoking out. Had great memories of visiting my grandparents on Saturday evenings as a young kid. My grandfather smoked a pipe and I can still picture him and his pipe and liking the room note to this day even though he stopped smoking on doctor's orders before I was 10. He had only one or two pipes at a time, simple straight billiards, and smoked a single blend that he stored in his large pouch. Never been able to find out which blend it was. Anyways...I really enjoy pipe smoking. Still smoke the occasional cigar, especially in summer, but enjoy the pipe so much more... and my significant other much prefers the smell of pipes to cigars. Pretty open on most blends, other than I don't care for aromatics or anything that is burley forward. English, Balkans, and Va/Pers are what I smoke the most of. I own about 15 pipes currently, all Cavicchi and Jacono except for one Radice which was my first pipe I bought. I love reading about the history of pipe smoking, pipe makers, etc. Having a complete run of Pipes & Tobacco magazine and other pipe smoking books on my shelf that I enjoy reading. I really like the slickness and completeness this site offers. Hope to contribute here for a long time to come.