Home The Lounge
Options

What's for Dinner? (Pairing pipe, drinks & dinner)

Comments

• Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @Zouave
    Looks yummy.  How was it?
  • Options
    @Londy3 turned out good. Used the pizza stone, that thing works damn good. I want to try some different ingredients next time.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Sounds like a great evening @Balisong
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2023
    Steamed burgers, ala the famous Ted’s in Meridan CT

• Options
    @motie2
    Steamed burgers? Interesting….and kinda weird🤔
    Do they turn out like the “sluggo burgers” at a college dorm food service?
  • Options

Barbecued ribs, I smoked a Pride filled with C&D Opening Night and had a glass of Moscato wine while they were cooking. 
  • Options
    @Balisong;
    That really looks D-lish.
  • Options
    edited February 13
    @motie2
    Yea…no.  The Dynamite is way to messy, but that streamed burger looks nasty, too much cheese too.
    Now, having said that, if I ever made it to the other side of the Mississippi, and north of the Mason-Dixon line.  I might make a trip to Ted’s to try one.  At the end of the news/info piece she mentioned a steamed cheese sandwich that sounds like it was a depression era beginning to the steam burger….that sounds better.  The vertical grill burgers didn’t impress either, but I never thought about toasting the bread for a “house burger” when no burger buns were to be had….I might have to try it next time I’m caught without burger buns🤔. I’ve probably had maybe five “house burgers” in my life, freaking grease soaked through white bread burgers are nasty….why bother.  If I have burger and sliced bread, a well done pan fried burger served as an open-faced sandwich with mashed potatoes on the side and everything slathered with brown gravy and seasoned with “Alpine Touch” is the way to go😋
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar there is a place near me that makes a delicious burger cooked in a small cast iron skillet.  They are amazing.  I would take a burger over a filet any day.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    @Zouave1864
    Except for a BBQ or tinfoil bag in a campfire, cast iron is the way to go👍🏻. I  only use cast iron skillets…old ones🙂.  The one I use for most of my cooking is a 10” BSR (Birmingham Stove & Range) that is at least 60-80 years old…..and it has never been washed with soap for the last 25 years, just rinsed and wiped.  I also have a 12” Lodge that I bought new 30 years ago that has never been washed with soap…heat, rinse, wipe, light oil.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar I liked those cast iron skillet burgers so much is found this 6 1/3 in. One. It works amazing but I can only do one burger at a time in it. I clean it out with rock salt and water. Then re oil.
  • Options
    @motie2
    Steamed meat?! 🤢🤮
  • Options
    @Zouave
    Love all my iron cookware. Try using a large iron griddle or pizza iron on your outdoor grill.  I prefer open flame but iron works great too. I do it with pizza all the time. Burgers come out amazing.
  • Options
    @Londy3 that's great advice I'll give it a try. Thank you!
  • Options
    @Londy3

There are few recipes I've found that you shouldn't cook in cast iron cookware, So few that I can't remember what they are. 
  • Options
    @Londy3 and @PappyJoe
    I've read that you need to be careful cooking highly acid foods in cast iron, it can comprise the seasoning/patina. Reseason if you cook meat that was in a vinegar based marinade! 
  • Options
    Tomato is one.  @Balisong in is right, nothing acidic

• Options
    Yea, tomato sauce bad, it will taint the sauce with metallic iron flavor and  strip the pan😖
  • Options
    @Londy3 @RockyMountainBriar

I must be doing something wrong. I've used my 5 quart cast iron pot to make salsa, spaghetti sauce and numerous other dishes and I have never had a problem with metallic iron flavor. I haven't had the problem with it stripping the seasoning from the pot either, but then again I was taught to always wipe the pot down with a little lard after cleaning. 

One thing I don't do is use a lot of dish detergent on my cast iron. I always scrap everything out and then scrub the pot with a salt paste. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe
    Interesting, I’d like to try your spaghetti sauce, I would be very surprised if I did not pick up the metallic iron flavor.  I have a pretty good sense of taste and smell, sadly not as good as it use to be, getting older?, Covid?  
        I’m assuming the cast iron pot you use is not ceramic/porcelain? lined?
         I’ve used my cast iron skillet for “goulash”, browned hamburger, and elbow macaroni cooked in tomato sauce with sautéed onion, green pepper, and various Italian seasoning type spices.  I can tell you, it has that….”did somebody drop a rusty nail in the pan?” to me.
         Why do I know this flavor?  When visiting my grandparents in Sidney, Montana, and on their farm near Enid, Montana the water (from wells) at both places sucked…bad.  You either got alkali water at the farm, or iron water in town.  I’m not sure which was worse, I really hate the taste of iron.  The “fart water” I had to drink when I worked on a farm in Ekalaka, Montana was not the best either, it came out of a coal aquifer and has some hydrogen sulphide in it.  I was told it had been tested and was safe to drink, which I did, but as little as possible.🫢
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar

Nah. What you want to try is my chili. One of my brother-in-laws and his grandfather used to participate in trail rides back in the 60s and at the end of the ride would be a big party with live music, games and food. One of the best things to eat was the chuck wagon chili and it was all made in cast iron dutch ovens. Most of them used beef that they chopped up to the consistency of coarse ground beef, lots of dried chilies, onions, garlic, cumin and can tomatoes. You could get chili ranging from safe for little girls all the way up to "you break out in a sweat from 20 feet away" spiciness. That's where I started learning how to cook chili. 

My chili wasn't that hot. A friend once described it as "two beers to a bowl" chili.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe
    Pass on the chili recipe! 
  • Options
    Big fan of Cincinnati style chili; cinnamon, chocolate, (Skyline) a Greek recipe. Also developed a make at home version. 

Sportscasters mention it when games are broadcast from Cincinnati. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe
    I love a good red hot spicy chili, just go easy on the cumin🙂. I can take those hot chili peppers, I really enjoy those dark red chilis, but cumin gives me raging indigestion and acid reflux.  Jalapeños are not too hot for me, but the ones at the spicy end of the spectrum are approaching it.  Jalapeños have such a wide range of spiciness. On the Scoville Pepper Chart, Serranos, Thai Chilis are about the top of the heat that I can take just eating them individually, raw or roasted. Habanero and Scotch Bonnet are pretty spicy, I won’t normally eat those or any hotter peppers straight.  So my limit is about 50,000 Scoville.  Interestingly, if I get towards that 50K, peppers will make me hiccup, then you know I got some hot ones🥵
  • Options
    Chicken and egg noodles... Was too lazy to make dumplings and didn't want to use canned biscuits...Paired with Capt Black Royal in a MM Legend. 

• Options
    @Balisong
    I will have to put it in writing. I've been doing it so long I just do it from memory.

@RockyMountainBriar
    I don't see how you can make real chili without cumin.

@motie2
    I will acknowledge the existence of some thing called "Cincinnati Chili" because they name admits that it is not real chili. 

To be honest, I have known people who would put non-normal ingredients in their chili. This includes chocolate, black coffee, venison, pork and - in place of beef - seafood (shrimp, scallops and crab). 
  • Options
    I cleaned out the grill, filled and lit the coals and spatchcocked the chicken. While tonight's half roasts I'm enjoying GLP Kensington in a Rob Roy and a glass of Moscato. 

• Options
    edited August 2023
    @PappyJoe
    I didn’t say leave out the cumin, just not to go overboard on it, like you said it’s not chili without it.