Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Estate Sale - Flee Market - Garage Sale Finds

Comments

• Options
    Visiting our son and his family and Johnson City, TN this week. We visited some antique shops in Bristol today and here are a couple of things I didn’t buy. The first is an old advertisement. The second is a display case for Peer (I think) pipes.

That is supposed to be Santa. 
  • Options
    I also bought a Debby Self Locking Tobacco Jar. I’ll post photos later. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Cool pipe display case.  Looking forward to seeing that tobacco jar.
  • Options
    The jar is a Denby. Auto correct got me. 
  • Options
    Here’s the jar. 
  • Options
    That's a fantastic score!!! @PappyJoe
  • Options
    @Zouave
    Thanks. I paid $44 for it. I saw one like it on eBay and the current price was $39 but I was able to inspect this one for cracks. If anyone is in the Bristol, TN (or VA) area, they should check the antique shops on State Street. I saw nine different tobacco jars in one shop. Not many pipes other than the usual Kaywoodies, Grabows and Medicos but there was a variety of other pipe related stuff. 
  • Options
    I've been meaning to post this but waited until we got back from Tennessee. This is a plastic and cheap metal tobacco humidor I found for $15 in Asheville, NC. The white insert actually comes out easily for washing. The lid has some type of humidifier stone inside it. Another interesting feature is the stem comes off the pipe and it had a small metal stinger. I dropped the stinger on the floor and can't find it at the moment. Probably won't store any tobacco in it, but I thought it made a nice addition to my collection. 

• Options
    @KA9FFJ that's a beautiful pipe, I love the little bit of patina around the bowl.  I say that one should be a keeper.
  • Options
    @Zouave yes sir, the more I look at it after cleaning it all up (really dusty, dirty, grimy on the outside) giving it a long deserved waxing and polishing it up, I tend to agree with you...
    May take it for a test spin later this week...
  • Options
    @PappyJoe

Congrats on your good fortune. And yeah, those Sea Rock briars are sweeeeeet.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe See... Santa Claus IS real! 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe the pipe God's are smiling on you. You should offer up a bowl to them ASAP lest you make them upset!
  • Options
    @PappyJoe I'd say you have your winter's work cut out for you! Good luck, I envy you with that project. Time consuming, but fun...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    At the high end of what I've found are some Ascorti, Comoy, Charatan Make, Savinelli and a couple of Ben Wade's Made in England.

• Options
    @PappyJoe STOP IT! STOP IT! Your making my mouth water... 😜
  • Options
    @PappyJoe, if you find an author shape in there (smooth) I'd be interested...
  • Options
    @mfresa
    I may just have a couple of those. As I go through and catalog them, I will post photos here.
  • Options
    What I've found so far.

1. An unknown to me Italian pipe.

2. Lorenzo Ravenna Standard 733 (Not to be confused with the Lorenz second made by Savinelli).
    3. Lorenzo Esperia 65S
    4. Savinelli Punto Oro 812 (looks like a replacement stem but I'm still researching this.)
    5. Savinelli Straight Grain 315KS
    6. Bjarne (still looking for other markings)

7. A Stanwell Danish Star 30. This MAY have be created by Sixteen Ivarson when he worked by Stanwell. I'm still researching this.

8. The Guildhall 601 - This is a Comoy's second. Comoy is stamped on the bottom of the stem.

9. Don Wade Classical Golden Walnut (made in Denmark)

10. Charatan Executive, stamped Hand Made on one side and has a "L" inside a circle. Based on stamping, this is a 1958 - 1965 Lane Era pipe.

11. Stanwell Jubilee 37.

more to come tomorrow.
  • Options
    Solved the mystery of the top pipe. It's a Thomas Cristiano Signature Series. He was immigrated from Italy in 1968 and worked at the S.M. Frank factory in Long Island. He started his own pipe company in Tampa and created three lines: Cristiano, Cristiano Signature Series and Calabresi pipes. He died in 2005 at the age of 53.  I'll update the information as I do more research.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe
    So, are you going to place the pipes up on EBay or somewhere for sale?
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    I am going to catalog and research everything first. Probably post them on here and to my pipe club first. 

Just found a second Stanwell Danish Star by Sixteen Ivarrson. This one is a 214. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe That's an incredible haul! I'm glad to see that they've been placed in your care, rather than ending up somewhere where they won't be taken care of. I'll definitely keep an eye out on what you put up for sale.
  • Options
    @mfresa
    Check your private messages.