Home Tobacco Talk
Options

The Loot! - What's your latest tobacco purchase?

Comments

• Options
    @RockyMountainBriar;
    You just can't make those "greenies" happy. I think they were born miserable and have lost ground eversince. 
  • Options
    The greenies should try living without electricity.
  • Options
    Received a few tins of Geometrie today that are headed for the cellar.
    A briar brother offered me some last week and I liked it, though I thought it was a bit young, I believe it to have great aging potential.
  • Options
    @Whoispra;
    Share your impression of each, Brother.
  • Options
    @Whoispra
    Nice selection! If you don't like a blend, put the lid on tight and let it sit for a week, sometimes tobacco improves after some fresh air.
  • Options
    @Whoispra
    Sounds like our pipe journeys are very similar.  I have gone through a lot of (for me) C&D “Espresso”, probably a pound or more, and probably about 1/2 lb. each of Lane “BCA” and “RLP-6”.  I’m have a “wide” not “deep” cellar, probably close to 200 +/- different tobaccos, but most are 4 ounces or less of each blend.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar definitely relate to the wide vs. deep cellar. I'm still super early along the way so I only have like 12 blends maybe a little better than that including some samplers from a friend but definitely sub 4oz. The only thing i'd keep in bulk based on what i've tried is Berry Cobbler and Countryside both from J.M. Boswell. Have you had 1-Q? Do you like BCA and RLP-6 better? 1-Q was just hot air to me. Not that it wasn't sweet just to light.
  • Options
    @Whoispra I think I saw you asked about country squire tobaccos, I don't know if you have tried Rivendell? It's one of my favorites from them. It's got a nice nutty-cocoa aroma to it.
  • Options
    @Zouave I have heard many great things about the squire and generally good things about squire signature blends. I haven't tried anything from them yet but i suspect i'll order a middle earth sampler before the years out. They have some non-aromatics i'd like to try as well. I think hunting creek is like an english crossover and cowboy coffee I think has dark fire in it. Any experience with those?
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    @Whoispra
    I have tried 1-Q and thought it was too harsh.  BCA, RLP-6 are some of my favorites, way better than 1-Q for me.  I have found that I like burley and orientals, perique, and recently surprising to me, dark fired kentucky.  I thought the dark fired would be like Latakia😖, it is definitely not.  1-Q was one of the first tobaccos I tried when I first started about….wow…10+ years ago now….dangit, I’m still a newb too.  I’m not sure the last time I even smoked  the 1-Q?  I guess I’ll dig it out…so it’s at least 10 years old now.  I wonder if it’s better or worse?  My guess is that the tobacco may not have aged well, and my tastes have probably changed.  I know I smoke much stronger and spicier tobaccos now than I did/could way back then.

• Options
    @RockyMountainBriar interesting that it was harsh to you. In a tongue bite sense? I'm finding that I like burley and latakia but perique, orientals, and dark fired are on my hit list to try. Have some Kajun kake and Bijou to address some of those. I don't recall if 1-Q had a fair amount of virginia in it but if so I bet it's better. If not I couldn't say. I believe blends that are not really aromatics at their heart that have been topped or cased a bit just to bring them a little sugariness that is beyond the natural sugars are going to be a favorite of mine. But what do I know. Long way to go just going to enjoy the ride. What is your go to dark fired or perhaps the one you'd recommend?
  • Options
    @Whoispra
    I hate to do this to you, but my favorite is this Peaty Kentucky. It’s just so expensive, and limited.  I’m not sure if there is any available?  E.A. Carey might have some?  I do have a few other more easily obtained dark fired blends, but I can’t think of them off hand at the moment.  I think the others may be MacBaren blends?
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar i've never even heard of Peaty Kentucky lol. But MacBarren has Old Dark Fired and another kentucky I think.
  • Options
    Postman just brought me a tin of Quiet Nights, an old favorite.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    @Whoispra
    I found the “common” blend with dark fired that I like, it’s Ogden’s “St. Bruno Flake”, or they have the “Ready Rubbed” too.  I have both, I don’t taste any big difference between one or the other.  Maybe the flake is slightly smoother.
  • Options
    I hauled out my 10+ year old jar of 1-Q this evening…much better than I recall, smooth, sweet, slightly smoky, tasty.  Here is what it looks like now….no light colored tobacco at all anymore, and just a few brown pieces, it’s mostly dark brown and black.  This really is 1-Q after 10+ years in a Mason jar, surprising me even.  I also have some of the local tobacconist’s house blend “Cattleman’s Gold”, which I suspect is 1-Q with a pinch of this or that.  I also bought it 10+ years ago, was not impressed, and set it aside next to the 1-Q.  It too is nearly totally black now as well….I’ll go out on a limb here and say it’s probably going to be much better too👍🏻  It will get stuffed in a pipe next🙂
  • Options
    A loot box arrived today🙂
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    I've been thinking about buying one of those Peterson leather stands, is it a snap or rivet that holds the shape?
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Hey @RockyMountainBriar
    I just ordered some C&D Espresso. I can't wait to try it.  I also reordered Mark Twain, LL7, a tamper and pocket pipe knife. 
  • Options
    @Londy3
    The C&D “Espresso” comes wet as all get out, but even loaded straight from the bag it burns surprisingly clean and dry….I have no idea how?  With ~15 minutes dry time, it’s is less messy to load.  Make sure you have something (damp towel, handy-wipe) to clean your fingers…not kidding.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Thanks! I have a promotional one in blue that I really like so I decided that I'd order one of each anyway. 
  • Options
    @Balisong
    A blue “Peterson” branded one?
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Thanks for the tip.  So, what is your beverage of choice to go with this blend?