Home Tobacco Talk
Options

The Loot! - What's your latest tobacco purchase?

1353637383941»

Comments

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited January 14
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Tried the stem/polish stem cleaner on an old pipe that needed it.
    Took a VERY small amount on my index finger and gave it a very light covering, then rubbed the stem with medium pressure. 
    After hand buffing, it was noticeable better.
    However, I tried following that up with a very light buffing on the wheel. 
    I must say, that stem wound up almost glassy looking. It was as close to looking like a new stem as you can get, even with micropads!
    But, that was just one stem. So I'll have a better idea of what it can do after a few more trials.
    Stay tuned...
    By the way great looking pipe!

• Options
    edited February 22
    Well, it was a day late, but it’s here👍🏻.  I have been looking for the SG “Grousemoor Plug” for a few years now.  I finally snagged some.  The GH  “Jamaica Flake” a.k.a. (“Rum Flake”) has cool tin art, what a sucker I am🙂.  I really love that they have dropped the stupid “tin art thrashing” warning labels.  We will see what it tastes like.  The description is Virginia, Burley, Rum….so far so good…..licorice? and vanilla.  I like black licorice, and if I was to guess, I’d say the tin popped, I can smell it, and it is wonderful without even having removed the cellophane safety/tamper? seal.  The “Escudo”….well I just needed another tin, sometimes they are tough to acquire.
  • Options
    A friend used to opine that If you looked up “VaPer” in the O.E.D., you’d find a small illustration of an Escudo tin next to the definition.
  • Options
    Drove the wife to do some shopping this afternoon. After dropping her off, guess where I went?

• Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    @KA9FFJ
    Where is that Tinderbox located?

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    @PappyJoe
    Fairview Heights, IL.
    About a 25 minute drive from my house here in Granite City.
    There is a HUGE shopping area there. If I had to guess, I'd say at least 2 to 3 hundred stores.
    The sad thing I learned yesterday is that this Tinderbox will no longer carry tinned tobaccos, only their blends.
    The owner put a great sale on their tinned blends late last year and I picked up about 4 or 5. But I had no idea they were not going to restock. It was disappointing to say the least... not to mention their pipe selection has dwindled to about 30 pipes. 
    Remembering the old days, it really is sad.
    But at least I can pick up some of their decent blends now and then...
  • Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    @KA9FFJ
    Yea, Tinderbox seems to be slowly moving toward extinction. 
    I asked where because there is a Tinderbox in Mobile, AL that I occasionally stop into on road trips to see which of their blends are in stock. 

I won a raffle last night at our pipe club meeting. The shop where we hold the meetings was a Tinderbox location until the owner decided to retire about 7 years ago. Apparently they were doing some cleaning and they found a box containing several Ascorti pipes. The pipes were made as Tinderbox store pipes and stamped with the location. The current owner made the decision to use them as raffle items at our pipe club meetings. I won last night. Not bad for a $10 raffle ticket. 
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    @PappyJoe
    Yea, I saw the pic. It's a pretty good looking pipe IMHO, and Ascorti, in my recollections, is a nicely made pipe, both aesthetically and mechanically...
  • Options
    WhoispraWhoispra Master
    A little burley for the cellar.
  • Options
    opipemanopipeman Master
    @Whoispra;
    Great choices, Brother.
  • Options
    @opipeman Thanks. Big fan of burley blends.  Also I popped in a shop recently and picked up some "classics" although they are not burley blends. Prices were really good.
  • Options
    WhoispraWhoispra Master
    Another little haul of “classics”