Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Daily Aromatic Smokers Corner

Comments

• Options
    @Wolf41035 -- Be strong and of good courage. And don't feel like the Lone Ranger about smoking and the weather; Once it gets cold outside, no more pipe for me until Spring, as I cannot smoke  in the house, either. Maybe with a heater i the garage... I dunno. I have not done it for the past four winters... may be if this one is mild?
  • Options
    @Wolf41035 @motie2

I have a detached garage. Some years ago I bought a single head heater element that screws directly to a propane tank. When it is REALLY cold, I sit about 10 feet or so in front and enjoy either a cigar or a pipe, with the heater on of course. I guess it would do no good with the heater off?

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited October 2017
    I'm looking into a chimenea. (chiminea?)
  • Options
    @motie2

Don't look into it while it is burning, Especially down the stack! I can't help myself, I am just a wise ass.......sorry.
  • Options
    No, actually that was funny. Did you hear the one about the skeleton who walked into a bar?

He ordered a beer and a mop.
  • Options
    Mild Winter? I don't think we will get one here, we are due for a long, cold, snow and ice winter here. Summer wasn't really Summer this year and Fall is already colder than I want it to be.  lol
  • Options
    My Garage is for old cars so not going to smoke in there, I am saving up to buy some 2x4's and plywood, going to slap together a small 2-4 person box, slap on some old siding, put a heater or two in it and hope to go out there to smoke, also going to use it to step into when I go to feed the animals that way I can warm up a little before heading to the house.  Living on a Farm means you don't just walk out your back door to feed animals, I have two chicken houses and a dog pen to travel to and that is when I am not helping with feeding the cattle.   I moved back on the farm to help out my father....So with that said yep I need a warm building about half way out to all the animals and might as well use it for smoking!  lol
  • Options
    Just ordered a cast iron chiminea (chimenea?) to maybe prolong my days on the rear deck.....

• Options
    @motie2

GREAT choice.....no doubt the cast iron will hold up better than the terra cotta. You will enjoy the outdoor ambiance and the extension of your pipe smoking season. NOW you need to get some "stove size" firewood stacked nearby, some kindling, and some "fire starters". OR, you could become "the man" and get a chainsaw, a truck, and go do the lumberjack thing (it would be too 'green" for burning this winter) for next year.

Enjoy.....
  • Options
    @pwkarch -- Thank you for the good wishes, my friend. I'll report back when it arrives and I try it out. 
  • Options
    @motie2

OK.....I wait with bated breath (just kidding, I did not have squid or minnows for breakfast). You will LOVE it, especially the "tween" days / evenings of fall and spring. Make sure you have a nice little table for your radio (a must), and a libation (an absolute must).
  • Options
    I have two old gas heaters, two or three propane heaters and an old Chimnea but that is to big, still not sure where to build my little smoke shack though!
  • Options
    Back to topic, Going to smoke some home blended Halloween mix I made last year, I vacuum sealed it so hope it is still good, if not I will mix up more when I find the mixture in my log book.
  • Options
    @Wolf41035 -- What's in your Halloween blend?
  • Options
    motie2 I will have to find my book I keep all my homemade blends in, it has the aroma and taste of candy bars, candy corn, Carmel covered Apples and a plastic pumpkin that kids get to put their candy in, kind of unique but actually good.  lol
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited November 2017
    @Wolf41035 -- Awesome! I eagerly await.
    I try to learn something every day, and such a source would probably take up a weeks worth of knowledge. 
  • Options
    Still looking for that darn notebook, right now things are a mess, been going through medical papers for SSI Disability, hope this ends soon!
  • Options
    I like aro and English, but one aromatic that always have at hand is a mixture BCA/1Q. Other that like at lot is Vanilla Ice from corps and Vanilla Mustard from Sutliff.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited November 2018
    @riobrusa

Wait....... Sutliff Vanilla MUSTARD??

Best Typo Ever
  • Options
    @motie is that a new blend? Maybe a offshoot of that could be Sutliff Vanilla Mustard Gas. Bet that would put a hop in ones step.
  • Options
    Bloodhound61Bloodhound61 Master
    edited November 2018
    Maybe a new line of tobacco? The Sutliff Condiment Series? They could team up with Heinz.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, Vanilla CUSTARD.
  • Options
    "I keed, I keed....."
  • Options
    Haven't spotted anyone trying Sutliff's Dulce de Leche. Highly recommend if your an aro smoker...
  • Options
    Well, love Dulce de Leche but never tried smoke one. Guess taste like caramel, right?
  • Options
    @riobrusa Yup, among other hints. I know everyone's taste is different, that's why I never say, "try it, you'll like it". Instead I'll say, "it's worth a try"... If you do partake, I do hope you enjoy it...
  • Options
    BTW and off topic too -- sorry -- here is SWMBO's recipe for homemade Dulce de Leche. I know it sounds dangerous and insane, but IF YOU FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS, IT'S SAFE, AND WORKS EVERY TIME. It's also far better than canned dulce de leche sold in supermarkets.

Dulce de Leche from a can of Sweetened Condensed Milk

Dulce de Leche is a creamy caramel sauce that's traditionally made by simmering a pot of milk and sugar, stirring as you go, for several hours. You could do that, or you could do what is by far the easiest way to make it: simmer an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk (NOT EVAPORATED MILK) in a pot of water for two to three hours (SWMBO should know, because she has tested just about every method we've come across.)

Before I go through the insanely easy steps for making dulce de leche this way, I have just one important warning: You must pay attention to the water level in the pot as the can simmers. If you let too much water evaporate and the can ends up not being fully submerged, it can overheat, tear or even explode, which would be verrrrrrry bad.

That one detail in mind, here's how it's done...

STEP 1: REMOVE THE LABEL

The first thing you'll need to do is get yourself a can of sweetened condensed milk and remove the label.

STEP 2: PLACE THE CAN IN A LARGE POT

Place the can on its side in a large pot, like a soup pot or Dutch oven. If you place it right-side up, the simmering water will cause the can to bounce as it cooks, which can be quite annoying to sensitive ears.

STEP 3: FILL THE PAN WITH WATER

Add room temperature water, filling the pot until the water level rises at least two inches above the top of the can. It's very important that the can is completely submerged!

STEP 4: SIMMER

Place the pot over high heat and allow it to come to a simmer. Simmer the can for two to three hours, depending on how dark you want the dulce de leche to be. The dulce de leche in the photo above was cooked for two hours.

Ideally, the water level should never get any lower than one inch above the can as it cooks, so make sure to check on the water level every half hour and be ready to add more boiling water as needed.

When the time is up, carefully remove the can from the hot water using a pair of tongs and allow it to cool to room temperature on a wire rack. Do not attempt to open the can while it's still hot, as the hot dulce de leche may spit out because of the pressure inside the can. The dulce de leche will firm up as it cools, but once out of the can, it can easily be reheated in a double boiler to a more spreadable or drizzle-able consistency.

Dulce de leche is delicious straight out of the can (spoon optional), but you can also serve it over ice cream or use it as a filling for cakes or cookies. 

• Options
    @riobrusa I'd compare the taste of Sutliff's Dulce de Leche more as one of those coconut covered roasted marshmallows.