Home General
Options

What are you Drinking while smoking your pipe today?

Comments

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Untied made a spicy beer. You have to sign a waiver to get a glass.

I signed. 
    ‘Twas an excellent adventure. Perfection for chiliheads. Not as painful as a horseradish I tried in a Gatlinberg challenge.
  • Options
    @motie2;
    Not for me, but the waiver kind of brings to mind some of the side effects of medications seen on TV.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @opipeman  - Yeah, I especially cringe at the mention of “…. a rare infection of the perineum” as a side effect to some of the drugs being ballyhooed on TV.
  • Options
    The Hypocratic Oath no long requires new doctors to affirm that "above all else (they will) do NO harm". I suspect the pharmaceutical industry donated to the medical schools and AMA to get that section removed.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    In fact, the "first, do no harm" phrase is not even part of the original Hippocratic Oath; it is from another of Hippocrates' works called "Of the Epidemics."

Today, medical schools often use different pledges or oaths, and some may not use any oath at all.

The modern versions of the Hippocratic Oath still maintain the core values of the original, such as promising to act in the best interest of the patient and protect patient privacy.

Oath-taking has become nearly universal at US medical schools, but hardly any schools use the original oath. Instead, they use updated versions that combine the idea of "do no harm" with vows to remember both the human beings on the other end of medical care and the importance of empathy and understanding.

• Options
    I think my doctor feels a challenge to try and do no harm to me because i harm myself enough for both of us.
  • Options
    I have a dirty, filthy, gin martini loaded with olives for this evenings pipe pairing.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited January 15
    What I’m NOT drinking…..

Doritos thinks we want nacho cheese-flavored booze

• Options
    @motie2
    I love Nacho Cheese Doritos, but I’m with you, I don’t want to drink their “essence”.
  • Options
    After you kick back a few Dorito shots, you can relax in a nice flaming hot cheeto dust bath. I found this on the Walmarts website incase anyone was interested 
  • Options
    @Zouave
    Who’d a thunk crazy stuff like that existed…..for what reason 🥴
  • Options
    Had to travel to the west side of Louisiana to help one of my sons after he had his gall bladder removed. I only had the chance to smoke one pipe over the last six days and also went "dry" for the time. I figured if he couldn't drink alcohol than I wouldn't drink in front of him. Anyway...

He lives about a half mile from Fort Woke... sorry, I meant Fort Johnson (originally Fort Polk), so I did any shopping we needed at the commissary. I decided to also visit the Class-Six shop to check out what whiskey and rum they carried. I was greatly disappointed in the selection of spirits. That being said, I did purchase a bottle of Green Spot Irish Whiskey for the ridiculous price of $43. Last time I looked near where I lived it was $68. I also picked up a bottle of Basil Hayden's Dark Rye for $35. 

They real prize of the trip for me those was when one of my sisters drove over from Beaumont, Texas to meet up with us. She brought me two bottles of Kōloa Kauaʻi Dark Rum, an outstanding rum distilled in bottled in Hawaii using pure cane sugar made from island grown sugar cane. It is one of my favorite sipping rums but unfortunately I can only find it in Texas. 

Moving on... 
    Our oldest son who lives in Tennessee gave me a Cocktail smoker kit for Christmas which included six small tins of wood chips. I tested it out while drinking some Basil Hayden Dark Rye last night. I poured a shot in each of two glasses and used the hickory wood chips to add smoke to one of them. I then did a side by side comparison. The smoke did add a slightly different nose and flavor.

I paired the whiskey with a bowl of Early Morning Pipe in my Ginger's Favorite. 
  • Options
    Praying for your son’s refuah shalaymah - complete healing.
  • Options
    Tullamore Dew Honey with a dog that is hoping for a taste. 
  • Options
    @Zouave1864;
    An animal with discerning taste.
  • Options
    I was able to enjoy two pipes yesterday. Early Morning Pipe in a Rinaldo followed by The Untouchables in my Santambrogio. 
    The drink of choice was Basil Hayden Dark Rye. 
  • Options
    @motie2
    Yep, sounds good to me.  I have never had Campbell’s beef broth on the rocks, but straight from the can….maybe😋
    I wonder what it would be like with some celery, onion, carrot juice and a splash of Worcestershire, a splash of lemon juice and a touch of hot sauce, garnished with a lemon wedge, a cucumber slice, a cocktail onion, a celery stick, a carrot stick, and some garlic stuffed green olives.  Heck, throw a nice slice of almost crispy bacon in there too.  It would almost rival one of @londy3  ‘s Bloody Mary’s🙂
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar

You forgot the whole shrimp garnish…..

BTW, as kids we drank Hershey’s syrup straight from the can. We called it black lightening.
  • Options
    @motie2
    Funny, I just went back to take a look at @Londy3  ‘s Bloody Mary snack bar and noticed the shrimp and chicken wings.  I think leaving them out of my concoction was the right choice….shrimp….chicken….beef broth….🤔

Hersey’s Syrup, in a can, how old are you😬
    Actually, now that you mentioned it, I too recall cans of Hershey’s Syrup, but I ain’t exactly a spring chicken either🙂. I was/am not a fan of Hershey’s chocolate, it always tastes like it had a touch of bile in it, especially the after taste.  My dad loved Hershey’s Syrup though, which is why we almost always had some in the fridge.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar

The problem is: i remember my father at 77.
    He was older than I am.
    Of course, he had a harder life.
    But I notice that many 77 year olds are older than me.
    <humble brag?>
    Now, excuse me while I go bitch about my sciatica……
  • Options
    @motie2
    I’m about two years younger than the age at which my father passed.  He drank like a fish and smoked like a steam engine. I did not live through the “Great Depression” either, he ate some pretty funky stuff out of the dump when he was one of the youngest and smallest in his family during that time.
  • Options
    @motie2; @RockyMountainBriar;
    Never forget, Brothers. It matters not how old you are.....ah....I don't remember where I was going with this.
  • Options
    @opipeman it's not the years, it's the milage.
  • Options
    @Zouave1864;
    That works. Thanks, Brother.
  • Options
    I'm into me Teeling a little to excess, if there is such a thing. It has suddenly occurred to me that we just don't have much participation on TPL. Was it something I said or you said or someone said? Are we just a bunch of boring old men? We get new members and they never post anything. Do I have body odor? Old guys need to have a place, don't they?
  • Options
    Maybe the youths don’t have the experiences of a life well lived.  It can’t be that we are intimidating, it’s not any actual face to face.  I’m not sure what people are looking for in this forum, or any like it?  Maybe they get to hang out with like minded friends in person?  With the “regulars” here, I think all of us would rather like to be able to sit around a big fire pit, with some good food, good drink, and just “shoot the $#!+”, no matter topic.  But for now, this is it.  It seems nowadays, the youths just sit behind a screen and eschew personal face to face interaction.  This venue seems good for that, so……hell if I know.🤔
  • Options
    @motie2

Beef Bouillon over ice.

Reminds me of the day before my last colonoscopy when I had to be on a liquid diet.