Home Tobacco Talk
Options

What are you guys smoking right Now?

Comments

• Options
    Can't explain it, but for some reason one of my meers was calling out my name.
    It doesn't happen very often and it's a shame, since all my meers are really good smokers.
    But today as I was scanning my pipes to see which one to select, Mr. Zouave jumped out and was yelling, "pick me!... pick me!".
    So I've loaded up some Barbados Plantation (which I haven't smoked in a LONG time), and enjoying both while I watch the rain come in...

• Options
    I enjoy watching a meer take on just a TOUCH more patina immediately after smoking...

• Options
    Good Morning! 
    Starting the day with GLP Abingdon in a Rob Roy and a cup of Costa Rican coffee. 

• Options
    Dug out some "Amphora Mild Cavendish" and burned a couple of bowls in me "Savinelli Eleganza". This is me second favorite pipe next to the Sav. Cricket 127. It smokes great and is the easiest to clean, next to me collection of "The Pipes".

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited October 2023
    After 18, I took the little lady out to eat ( happy wife, happy life).
    Now, after finishing  polishing the stem, I'm doing some Lane 1Q in a newly refurbed pipe...

• Options
    Smoking some C&D “Steamworks” in my Pete XMas 2023 #53 this evening.
  • Options
    jim102864jim102864 Master
    edited October 2023
    After weeks of crappy weekend weather, a sunny and warm Saturday morning in Southern New England.  Mac Baren Old Dark Fired in my meer tastes oh so good with a cup of Joe.
  • Options
  • Options
    @jim102864;
    The meer that belongs to @KA9FFJ has great coloring. Yours will be awesome if it colors that well, because as it is now its beautiful.
  • Options
    @opipeman Thank you, sir!  I have to admit, this lone meer I own is overused.  It's such a great smoker, I rarely pick up anything else from my pipe rack lol.
  • Options
    Burned a little "Captain Black Dark" for my first bowl, Then some "Casey Jones last Ride" for my second bowl in me Paranelli. It's a sweet smoker. Its in the low 30's, but in the low 60's in Ye Ole Smoking shed.

• Options
    @jim102864;
    You Brothers have got me wanting to fire up my own meer (1 of 2). I'll burn a bowl or two tomorrow.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited October 2023
    In keeping with Halloween, I've decided to do a refurbished black and orange pipe (this one's a Paronelli), with some Frankenblend...

• Options
    @KA9FFJ how do you like that 7seas Royal? It’s the one that intrigues me most. Good body to it? HH Burley flake today. 
  • Options
    @Whoispra
    All the 7 Seas blends are Virginia based, with a touch of Burley added to the mix.
    If you're looking for a mild aro blend, this one is far superior to most claiming the same characteristics, IMHO.
    The Cavendish used is, once again IMHO, is richer and more flavorful than most being used in other brands.
    Here again, if you're looking for a full bodied, English type of blend, it won't be found in the 7 Seas Royal Blend.
    It is a mild aro with no goop or excessive toppings or castings. Lights well and smokes well...
    Hope that heips...

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Smoking that XMas Pete Lovat last night, it was still giving me problems.  Some moisture and stem gurgle, not terrible, but not good either.  When I went to put a pipe cleaner through at 1/4 bowl, it wouldn’t pass at the stem/mortise😖.  Well, I took a look and yep, the airway in the shank was drilled high by about 1/16”+…not conducive to good airflow👎🏻.  I used my 4mm drill and “augured the rear portion of the airway down ~1/16”,  the airway was centered correctly in the bowl, but the airway was drilled at an angle.  I loaded it again and it smoked great.  After looking at the pipe, trying to figure out how that situation happens, I noticed that the shank is slightly bent up at the transition🤔.  It should be at 90 degrees, or even slightly tipped out (slightly more than 90 degrees for the shank to clear a lathe tool holder) at the bowl.  I guess when they drilled the airway, apparently after drilling the mortise, it was re-chucked or freehanded?  I don’t know Peterson’s manufacturing steps/processes, but it’s my best guess.

I pulled out a couple other Pete 53’s to check the bowl/shank angles.
    This is an older 90’s? Pete 53….90 degree transition bowl/rim to shank, airway perfectly centered👍🏻
    The pipe (below) is my 2023 St. Patrick’s Day, a bit less than a 90 degree bowl/rim-shank transition, and yep, the airway is drilled slightly high in the mortise, but it still passes a pipe cleaner ok👌🏻

Next (pipe below) is the 2023 Christmas, a more shallow (less than 90 degrees) bowl/rim to shank transition, the airway was drilled much higher, so much it didn’t pass a pipe cleaner😖👎🏻. After some “tweaks” it passes a pipe cleaner🙂

• Options
    MontecristoMontecristo Master
    edited October 2023
  • Options
    I will add, with the shank transitions being less than 90 degrees, it would make more sense that the airways would have been drilled low rather than high, so 🤔
  • Options
    Smoking an after dinner bowl in the XMas Pete 53.  I have it loaded with some Robert McConnell “Code:Relax”.

• Options
    GLP Kensington in a Pride, Woodchuck on the side. Watching In Session with Stevie Ray Vaughn and Albert King on YouTube.
  • Options
    Using a @Corey562 squashed tomato to do some Frankenblend...again...
    I'll probably continue with my Frankenblend through Halloween. Just seems like the right thing to do.
    I have added about 20 - 30% Lane BCA to this "blend" and it really smooths everything out.
    I know I've said this before, but if you find yourself stuck with mediocre at best pipe tobacco, try it after adding 20 - 50% (depending on your personal taste) of BCA. IMHO, I think you might be pleasantly surprised how palatable it becomes...

• Options
    Excellent advice. Non aromatic smokers should use Carter Hall 20-50%
  • Options
    After “din din” tonight is some CB “Royal” in my Rattray’s Distillery 106.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar now there's a sharp looking pipe. I like the copper bands with the unfinished briar on that series.
  • Options
    Dug out some "Ole Shenadoah-Single Cask" loaded it in an old Dr. Grabow and burned a couple of bowls. I got to tell you, Brothers, I really don't care that much for it.

• Options
    Once again, in keeping with Halloween,  I'm doing another bowl of Frankenblend using an old reworked Tinderbox pipe. 
    Tinderbox originally sold this as a Christmas pipe. Why I don't know because it has an orange stem, not red.
    Anyway, after rusticating and staining it black, it's become one of my fall season pipes...

• Options
    edited October 2023
    @opipeman
    Good to know about that crappy tobacco…sounds like it should be tasty, now I won’t be fooled, thanks brother🙂
  • Options
    I might try the CB “Platinum” again, even though it sucked the first time😖
  • Options
    A little Kajun Kake this eve to wind down with. Planning on ordering a new pipe and some baccy soon. Details upon arrival!