Defensive and Everyday Carry

Comments

• Options
    @Zouave
    Looks like a pretty sweet rifle!
  • Options
    vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited January 2023
    We're seeing this sort of thing more and more in the South--i.e., good guys with guns taking care of bad guys with guns...that said, what luck, LOL--3 customers, all with guns! LOL
    (By the way, notice what the original good guy told the others--he's disarmed, don't shoot him...that's the sign of someone that knows the law.)

Robber pointing .45 at store clerk's head runs into big problems when 3 gun-toting customers come to the rescue

https://www.theblaze.com/news/robber-pointing-45-at-store-clerks-head-runs-into-big-problems-when-3-gun-toting-customers-come-to-the-rescue
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003
    Ha! Good! I carry all day everyday.
    They had to taze the douchebag too! At the end of that story though, the others that helped were fine because they all had legal permits for their firearms.  But the second amendment does not require anything to own a firearm, it's our right. The second amendment prevents the government to infringe upon our right to keep and bear arms. Little by little they take and take and we continue to let them. 
  • Options
    In Georgia, we have concealed carry, no permit required.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    You all know I have a lot of handguns, all Smith & Wesson, so I follow everything S&W; that said, they are giving out rebates now which puts this Shield Plus at only about $350! 

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/134508/smith+&+wesson+m&p+9+shield+plus+9mm+13+1

I just went shooting yesterday with my wife...we probably put 600 rounds downrange through our various handguns and I put about 200 of those through my own 9mm Shield Plus...I'm not kidding when I say it is the best pistol S&W has ever made for conceal carry. I usually rapid and stutter fire for practice--I rarely, if ever, point-aim-and-shoot one round because it isn't realistic in a self-defense situation. Anyway, at 8 paces I was putting all 14 rounds on a quarter of a 12" target and under 20 seconds. When I rotation-fired (which is when you have multiple targets, 6 in our case, on the same board and you aim from one to the other in a rapid-fire manner), I was landing all of my rounds within the 8" rings. 

The only other pistol I can do that with is my single-stack 9mm Shield. The Shield line is the best, and at only 20ozs (the single stack is about 16 or so), it's a great IWB pistol and is my everyday carry weapon. 

There's also the (relatively) new CSX with a rebate which I'd love to get at some point, but still on the fence of whether its worth getting the first generation or waiting a year or two

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/142181/smith+&+wesson+csx+thumb+safety+black+9mm+3.1in+10+12rd

I just wanted to bring this to anyone's attention if they are interested...these are great prices with the rebates.
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003
    Thanks for posting this man, I'm gonna take a look.  I have been looking at the shield 2.0 metal.  But i do love my Smith revolvers! 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    @Londy3
    I don't know if the 'metal' is worth it or not because I don't own one in that line, but I've shot them at the range (all M&P double stacks) and they perform the same as the polymer frame versions in my opinion. 

But you can get a 2.0 single stack 9mm for only $261.49 from Buds (after rebate)--if you are thinking about pistols (versus revolvers), I would get that one to start with to see if you like them since it's so cheap. My wife and I have two of the first gen single stacks and love them. (We used to have 3 but I sold one to my neighbor.)

The Shield Plus is very similar although a hair wider and a hair longer in the grip (i.e., 1.5 stack versus single stack). The former holds 9 rounds, the latter 14. 

If you are instead looking at the 2.0 M&P Metal, that's a full size gun that comes in about 30 ozs or so...it's certainly not conceal carry. I have the first gen model of this one as well in polymer and the only complaint I have with it is I have to cover up the target to be on target--if I aim at the target I shoot low. My wife doesn't have this issue with it, so its the way I shoot, nothing to do with the gun per se. She loves our M&P because it holds 19 rounds and she's pretty accurate with it with almost no recoil. She wants to have it as her car gun, but she hasn't thought through the logistics of a car jacking or anything like that, and until she does, it's hard to figure out where to put that beast and how to keep it out of someone else's hands. Her personal carry is a single stack Shield.

By the way, I love my revolvers too...in fact, I prefer them for conceal carry in the summer because my snubs are so lightweight, but the cylinder does tend to bite into my side when inside the waistband even with a custom made leather holster, so I alternate with the pistols which have a far higher capacity but being flat, they are actually more comfortable. I always carry pistols in the colder months when I'm wearing jeans.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited January 2023
    @vtgrad2003
    Thanks for the info.  Was also looking at the performance center M&P9 EZ Shield with ported barrel and hiviz sights. Was thinking can share this with my wife. Easier for her to rack the slide.  I'm not sure yet but it qualifies for the rebate. $497 after rebate.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    @Londy3
    Nice gun, and target reset should be quick with the ported barrel. You are correct, I've had the chance of racking a few EZ's at the range and they are very easy to rack...my wife has the same issue but I've worked her slides a lot to break them in and she's used to them (we don't have any in the EZ line) . That said, she still can't rack the slide on my full size M&P. Just keep in mind that is still a big gun at nearly a 4" barrel and 24 ozs, so it's not something you'll want to carry around IWB too much, but it is a very nice gun and a Performance Center gun. 
  • Options
    Love shooting my M&P 2.0 45, but my arthritis is making it harder to handle. Looking at alternatives to take it's place. Friend loaned me his new Taurus gx4 9mm, pretty sweet so far. But still leaning towards the M&P in 9mm.
  • Options
    You may be able to try different models and your gun range that way you can make better decisions. Try before you buy.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    @addamsruspipe
    The S&W 9mm certainly has a lot less kick (I own a bunch of them) than the 40, but depending on where your arthritis is, racking will still be problematic...exactly what affects your shooting? Is it the kick or racking? I'd stay away from Taurus and especially any pistols of theirs. S&W is the way to go (but then, I'm biased) and also Ruger. I know two men with arthritis in their hands; one has gravitated to the EZ line of S&W ( @Londy3 is considering one I think) and the other owns a couple of Rugers he says he likes. The man with the EZ's like them because of racking and the other like his Ruger's because of less kick (so he claims, although I didn't see much difference between his and my Shields with regard to kick) and I think his were easy racking types too. Like you, they had to find alternatives because of their arthritis. 

I'm no doctor, but to me, if I had arthritis, I would likely get me a 9mm EZ and shoot 115 grains bullets. I shoot 115 anyway (for manageability reasons--I'd rather have a quick reset than a bullet that kicks too much), and combined with the EZ for racking, it's a great package. They're on the heavy side and a little too large for CC (to me anyway) but great guns, and only about the same weight at the 2.0 that you already have. 

My small Shields are great for CC, but have some kick to them and are relatively hard to rack. 
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003
    Interesting and tnx.
    My arthritis in my right wrist has really taken hold after about 40 years of range shooting 2-3 days a week (good friends with law enforcement who gave me free ammo and range time).
    The only time I hit the range now is when I need to sight or resight my lasers, and even then I wear a wrist band. Still hurts like the dickens...😬

• Options
    @KA9FFJ
    I see guys at my range all the time that have arthritis...these are just two I know from when I used to shoot amateur competition so I still stay in contact with them. Probably 1/2 of the men I see at the range have switched to revolvers because of it, the others (mostly) are just grunting through it with their old pistols, but there are so many options out there today, there's no reason not to buy something that's easier to use. Both S&W and Ruger have lines that make racking much easier (EZ in the former and "Lite Rack" in the latter). Here's a good video on the Lite Rack 380...they have a Lite Rack 22 as well and I'm assuming they will be coming out with a Lite Rack 9mm soon (to compete with S&W). 

For me, I'll only consider two pistol makers, S&W and Ruger...in my opinion, these companies make the best pistols out there. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmaAg6PcguY
  • Options
    Tnx @vtgrad2003
    Racking for some strange reason has never been an issue. It's all about the recoil. 
    Your comments above will probably start me shopping again! 
    If my wife complains about spending more money, I'm blaming you...😏
  • Options
    I concur @vtgrad2003
    And yes, any spending will be all your fault 😉
  • Options
    edited January 2023
     @KA9FFJ
    Not in law enforcement or active military, with free range time and free ammo……what a great deal🙂
  • Options
    @mapletop
    I wish I would have bought the Barrett M82 SemiAuto when I first saw one back in college at an indoor range/Class III gun store (1982-1986? or so).  It was new and it was priced less that $2500, maybe even less than $2000.
  • Options
    Your missed opportunity...