Home General
Options

Defensive and Everyday Carry

Comments

• Options
    If that was you on the filming of this movie, you'd be in jail a few hours after the event took place. Investigator would have closed the case hours later while you rot in jail. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    @vtgrad2003
    I had not seen that, thanks.

I still think it is possible to “slip hammer fan” fire some single actions, with a normal fixed firing pin and no transfer bar safety without pulling the trigger.  It’s one of the reasons a transfer bar safety exists, along with stopping a single action from firing with a “smack” to the hammer on a loaded cylinder.  The reason old style cartridge six shooters should only have five cylinders loaded with the hammer on an empty cylinder.  Cap and Ball revolvers have safety notches between the cylinders so the hammer is not resting on a cap.

My North American Firearms .22 LR cal. mini revolver has safety notches between the five cylinders so that it can be carried fully loaded in a belt buckle, pocket…or in the case of the woman who smuggled one inside the “clink” inside her, umm, err, ah, “lady parts” a year or two ago.  Dang, that little mini-revolver has some sharp and pointy edges😖.  Mine has the “longer” 1 1/2” barrel, they make a 1 1/8” and I think they make one in .22 Short with a shorter cylinder.  It would probably shave another 3/4”-7/8” off of the overall length.  I have the belt buckle for it somewhere, it’s only a kind of finger/fork thing.  There was a mini revolver made that actually snapped into a belt buckle that looked like a “western/cowboy” buckle.  They are rare and expensive…IF…you can find one.
  • Options
    This is the “belt buckle” style I have for mine, but for the longer barrel.  I wish I had bought the short barrel, I figured the longer barrel would be more accurate…still really really tough to shoot, and I have practiced with it.  I don’t think I could feed myself if I had to get a rabbit at 10’…hell 5’.  It’s definitely a “belly gun”.  With CCI Stingers or CCI Mini-Mags, it will nearly jump out of your hand.  I have broken/chipped my thumbnail a couple of times from the edge of the cylinder on recoil.🥲.  I have since learned how to hold it to keep that from happening.
  • Options
    Here is another style from NAA.
  • Options
    And the best one from Freedom Arms with the cool little release button.  I wonder if it could be accidentally released by leaning against something🤔.  It’s been probably 30 years since I have seen one in person.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Well, since I had the safe open and some of you fellows are Smith fans, I pulled these out.

.44 Mag Model 629 Classic DX 6 1/2”bbl. (wearing the factory wood combat grips).

.357 Mag Model 60 3”bbl. (I swapped out the Hogue Boot grips for the laminate finger groove grips).

.357 Mag Performance Center Pro Series Model 60 3”bbl. (I swapped out the original bulky wood grips for the sleek, composite, ivory finger groove grips).
  • Options
    Nice revolvers!
  • Options
    Oh oh, not a Smith, but she was wanting to be photographed too.

Magnum Research/Israel Military Industries .44 Mag Desert Eagle Mark VII.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Very nice that you opened the safe. Love your weapons. 
  • Options
    Amen, Mr. Smith!!
  • Options
    I didn’t realize Gemtech was a S&W subsidiary.  I need a Gemtech for my PS90😬
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003
    Great statement! I too am a proud owner of these fine tools! 
  • Options
    Great day at the range....

• Options
    I have a $#!+load of empties that need reloaded.  I have a “few” loaded ones too😉
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Don't you reload your own?
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited August 2022
    @RockyMountainBriar
    What do you think of the desert eagle?
    Have you ever shot it in .50?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    @Londy3
    I do reload, including casting my own bullets.  I have molds for nearly every handgun caliber I own and a few rifle calibers (old and slow).  It’s been tough getting primers and powder.  6 just the cash for it all….shooting is expensive.
  • Options
    @Londy3
    I like the .44, but it’s a handful size wise, recoil is comparatively light since it is a gas operated rotating bolt….nice.  I have shot a box of .50AE in a Desert Eagle.  The recoil is very manageable for me too.  I think I mentioned before, it was fun, but the downrange performance wasn’t noticeably different from the hot-load .44 mag 300 gr. soft point I have loaded for bear…literally.  We were shooting old school hard drives though, so terminal ballistics would be indeterminate.  I’m pretty sure the .50AE would wallop soft targets more than .44 mag.
    In the end, I would pick my S&W 629 Classic DX over the Desert Eagle.  They are both accurate, but the Smith is more comfortable to hold.
  • Options
    vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited August 2022
    Bud's Guns has S&W Sheild Plus on sale for $399...the Sheild series are excellent guns if you were concerned about that civil war starting back up again! LOL (see other post of mine.)

• Options
    edited September 2022
    I just saw this while looking at Micro 9’s.  I think I need one.  I like the looks of the extended mag base better than the original.  I think they call it a “tactical mag”?
  • Options
    Silly, I know, but I’m afraid to scratch up the “Bel-Air”.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    That is cool!  I also think you should get the desert night.  Looks like it was made for you
  • Options
    For conceal or open carry? They look on the heavy side...

• Options
    edited September 2022
    @vtgrad2003
    Concealed Carry.  They are not as heavy as they look, they have an alloy frame.  I am just so use to a full size .45 1911, the little Kimber just feels right.  The newer 9mm ammo is pretty “snotty” compared to the original loading.  Some of the new powders can achieve much better velocity with equal or less chamber pressures.

I use to carry a Star Firestar .40 that I bought new back in the mid ‘90’s’.  It was one of the first small carry automatics.  It is all steel and is very narrow and compact.  It is a sturdy, reliable, powerful beast, but it is “weighty”.  In an iswb holster, it drug my pants down,  not quite like a cholo gangbanger, but it was annoying.  It has since been relegated to “glovebox duty”.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    @vtgrad2003
    Just for the heck of it, I looked up the (empty) weight specs for the Kimber Micro 9, S&W Shield and Shield Plus, and the Star Firestar M40.

Micro 9=15.6 oz. 
    single stack 6+1 or 7+1 rounds

Shield=20.8 oz.
    double stack 7+1 or 8+1 rounds

Shield Plus=20.2 oz.
    double stack 10+1 or 13+1 rounds

Firestar=31 oz. 😳
    single stack 6+1 rounds
    It’s a heavy little piggy, but it does have a little more “snort” with the .40 cal.  The weight helps tame the recoil (not that it’s a big deal for me), but I will admit, when I first shot it, I was pushing the muzzle down anticipating the recoil. I couldn’t hit a dang thing which is not the norm for me.  It took me a few rounds to correct it.  It’s a super comfortable pistol to handle, it fits my hand well.

I personally prefer the smaller width of a single stack pistol.