Home Tobacco Talk
Options

What are you guys smoking right Now?

Comments

• Options
    @RockyMountainBriar

My god, I can almost smell that crap from here!  :D
  • Options
    Conventional wisdom seems to be that aromatics do not respond well to aging. Do you find this to be true @PappyJoe?
  • Options
    @motie2
    I think it depends on both the aromatic and how it is cellared. It also depends on personal taste.
    The Exotic Orange is the 2017 version that I jarred Jan. 2018.I think the three years in a sealed mason jar has muted the orange somewhat and made the honey more of the lead sweetness in the aroma. The age seems to let the tobacco come a little more in the forefront. 

The wife did say "that's smells sweet like honey." When I told her what it was she said she couldn't really smell the orange. I could taste the orange though.
  • Options
    Thank you @PappyJoe

Do American and European aromatics differ with regard to aging?
  • Options
    @motie2
    I've never really compared the two, so I can't say.

That being said, in my opinion the main difference between U.S. made aromatics vs. European aromatics is the amount of moisture in U.S. blends seems higher. Most of the European blends seem to be about ready to smoke when first opened where the U.S. aromatics tend to need a little drying before loading.

That is just my opinion. 
  • Options
    Smoking a bowl of C&D Cordial in my old Peterson billard bent.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe

I totally agree.That has been my experience, too.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Tonight I loaded the bent billiard pipe from the 2013 Peterson Antique Collection that I bought new back in 2015.  It took awhile for me to work up the nerve too smoke them.  I have only smoked since 2012, and I was worried I might screw them up.  It’s loaded with the mixture I whipped up yesterday.  I should have removed the stinking bowl coating, it is smoking a tad wet.  I was using a softie bit so my shark teeth don’t thrash the bit, but it makes me drool😖.  Someone mentioned that softie bits made them drool, and apparently they work that way for me too, oh well, teeth marks it is.  A pipe really isn’t a pipe until you smoke it right?  The straight billiard from the set is next in line.  Oh, I’m going to remove the bowl coating from the straight billiard before I smoke it.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar

I have the same damn problem: Softee pipe bits make me drool.🤤🤤
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    I kinda have the same issue except worse. I have a really bad gag reflex. The rubber bits make some pipe bits too thick and I'll gag. I'm having that problem with my new Charles town cobbler... Ugh. It really sucks. 
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar;
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say. 
  • Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited October 2021
    Since @motie2 asked my opinion on US vs. European aromatics, I dug into the cellar and pulled out a tin of C&D Jolly Old St. Nicholas from 2018. The lid actually had a slight bulge in the top.
    The tobacco has more moisture than the jar of Rattray's Exotic Orange I opened the other day. 

Loaded some Jolly Old St. Nicholas in a clay pipe for this afternoon.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe
    Thank you for the follow up!

@Londy3
    Nice stem on thatt cob…..
  • Options
    @motie2
    Jolly Old St. Nicholas is a good aromatic. Not as good as Exotic Passion or the European Christmas Blends in my opinion, but It's still a good smoke.
  • Options
    @motie2
    It's is very nice. But putting a softy bit makes the bit kinda thick.... Or maybe it's just my bad gag reflex 
  • Options

I tried JOSN last year. For a Christmas blend, I much prefer H&H Eggnog.
  • Options
    I think I have the JOSN, I also think I might like the H&H Eggnog better….I need to get some to try out….like I need another tobacco🙂
  • Options
    Smoking the stout little Peterson Straight Billiard from the 2013 Antique set for the first time tonight.  I smoked his “bent” sibling last night.  I have it loaded with C&D “Espresso”.  I removed most of the dang bowl coating out of it beforehand.  This is the older stuff that requires Everclear/Alcohol to remove.  It makes it a dicey operation for fear of removing the finish on the outside of the bowl.  The new Peterson bowl coatings come out easily with warm water, in case anyone cares.  I like them better, because they do come out so easily😬.  This pipe/tobacco combo is smoking nice and dry, no gurgle at all.
  • Options
    Westminster in a no name billiard
  • Options
    RondyRRondyR Connoisseur
    @Yohanan Edward G. Robertson’s blend is another of my favorite tobaccos; I think that it is highly underrated.