Home General
Options

Other Hobbies

Comments

• Options
    vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited September 2021
    My wife's a painter but I can't draw a stick figure correctly! 

@Londy3 Do you sell your stuff? My wife is thinking about it, she's always just done it for pleasure whenever somebody we know wants something done (like of their dead dog or something). Her best friend is a well-known equine painter http://equine-impressions.com/  and is trying to get her set up to possibly sell some--my wife's still not sure she wants to though. 
  • Options
    Final Indycar race this weekend...Grand Prix of Long Beach if anyone is interested!!!  https://www.indycar.com/
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited September 2021
    @vtgrad2003
    No I'm not. Why? 
    I have not really did this to sell anything. 
  • Options
    @Londy3
    I was just wondering because you might have some pointers that I could relay to my wife about selling her stuff. Thanks anyway!
  • Options
    @Londy3;
    Well done, Brother!!
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    I am not left handed. Why do you ask? 
  • Options
    @Londy3
    Being an Architect for (too) many years, I can attest personally that some of the most creative people that have work for me or with me where left handed, and some of the most talented designers. Having said that, some of them were less than adequate with the technology, conversation, administration and needed lots of assistance. I have discussed this with other Practitioners who had epiphanies when this was brought up in conversation. I firmly believe my comment about "southpaws" and their natural creativity. However, I have also met and worked with many very talented designers who were right handed, but probably not the same percentage in their "handed selection".
  • Options
    @Londy3
    BTW, I should have commented that I am right handed. Some years ago I shattered my right hand and had to be operated on and screws implanted. Over a weekend I actually taught myself to write left handed, sufficiently to correct plans, write notes, etc. so as to get back to the "zoo".
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    @Londy3
    It seems that the people I know that have your kind of artistic ability are left handed.  My little brother is left handed and he is a very good artist.  I can do “art”, but it is of the type like mechanical drawings and such.  I can’t draw figures and such, I have trouble with shading especially, even in it’s simplest form.  I think in black and white and straight lines I guess.  An example, I can make a “traditional” tobacco pipe, but if I had to do figural carving, the abomination I created would end up in the fire pit.  I could probably make a “freehand” pipe, maybe🤔 
    Like @pwkarch, I have had the same thoughts, which is why I asked.  I am a “trouble-shooter” by trade and think in a linear fashion, ‘this leads to that’ etc., I have a hard time thinking “out-of-the-box” as it were.  I think I may have some OCD that both helps and hinders in some situations.  It is said, knowing your limitations is half of the battle🙂. I rely on others to help with “out-of-the-box” kind of stuff.  I’m always open to other points of view….I may not ultimately agree with them, but they are always considered.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited September 2021
    @pwkarch
    That's very interesting. I am definitely the odd ball of the group. Being creative and able to have intelligent conversations with CFOs, CTOs, and other business leaders and get things done. The ability to see and object 3d in my mind, turn it and able to put that view to paper is interesting. I have also noticed, people in IT and other careers that require strong attention to detail are good musician's too. I'm the chameleon in the room.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Do you play an instrument? 
    I bet you do. It's the other side of the brain. So, with an practice, I bet you can do more things outside being very mechanical. I started with mechanical drawing and liked it. I even did a wood burning illustration of a F-104 with all the bulkheads and inside workings with no skin. Was pretty cool but took forever to do. As far as being creative, I tend to think differently than many. I mean, not just outside the box. I create the box and sometimes that box sits on a different galaxy so I have to take people there. It's a fun ride. I enjoy doing things that make people respond in some way and in other ways, how I want them to respond. So, I can actually control it to some degree. 
  • Options
    @Londy3
    I use to play the “Licorice Stick” and usually sat “first chair”, but that was eons ago 🙂
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Then that means you can play sax too. Guess your just not into music stuff? 
  • Options
    @Londy3
    Yes, I do have an Alto Sax :). I have lost about half of my upper range of hearing, more so in my right ear.  I has an ear infection when I was a baby/toddler I guess.  Also, working with heavy equipment/farm equipment without hearing protection didn’t help any.  I also had a Mini-14 blow up from a bad round, that got my left ear.  Hearing loss is not conducive to listening to and playing music…and I’m no Beethoven.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Oooh, sorry to hear that. No pun intended. 
  • Options
    Any model railroaders out there?  I had a HO train set when I was a boy that I passed down to my sons years ago.  My dad and I spent hours on it - double-loop track on a 4x8 board complete with a livestock feedlot and several buildings. Thinking about jumping back in and weaving something into my office, maybe an N scale.  
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    My brothers and I had some old Lionel’s that my father bought at a pawnshop.  I remember one of the cars being a white refrigerator milk car.  It had little doors in the top that milk kegs were placed in, and I think it somehow electrically off-loaded the kegs at a dock, but we never had the “apparatus” to make it work, maybe  only a couple of the kegs too.  I wonder if that car is collectible?  My youngest brother has it now, I think.

We also had a 4’x8’ HO track with a mountain and tunnel, a few switches and a little town.  The main feature of the town was a lumber mill.  “J&J Lumber” as I recall (Jeff & John or John & Jeff) depending on who was asked🙂. Jeff is still a friend of mine.  Although he and his wife live about 25 miles away, we still fish, hunt, bike (motorcycle), etc.  That friendship is going on 50+ years.
    My father was a “railroader” m, his worked for Mountain Bell Telephone.  Jeff works as a railroad engineer at MRL and I work with electronics.  It seems “following in our father’s footsteps” was reversed🤔

When Jeff and I were making our own money, we both started collecting “N” scale and started custom painting train cars and locomotives.  I have a small 4’x4’ “train board” with a mountain and tunnel, etc.  It is basically a half sized clone of the old 4’x8’ HO board.  It is currently hanging on chains hoisted up to the ceiling in my mom’s basement.  It’s been up there for 20-30? years at least without any use.  I did drag the cars and locomotives out awhile back to look them over though🙂
  • Options
    Cross-country motorcycle touring
    combat firearms training (am a LE firearms instructor)
    photography
    writing
    reading history
    amateur radio
    collecting and trading police patches
  • Options
    @bbrown626 my son is into n scale. He has been working on a layout in the basement. I am more into O guage.
  • Options
    @Zouave
    My house isn’t big enough for O, heck it’s not big enough for N.  Hence the reason it’s still at my moms.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar we don't have the room for it either. Thats why my son and his N guage trains are banished to the basement, and the O guage only comes out at Christmas. I have always wanted to make a layout for them, but room for it and the time/money has always stoped me. Plus I discovered pipes are more easy to display. 😁
  • Options
    @Zouave
    And theoretically take less space🙂
  • Options
    Kingsford or Match Light LOL 😂 

No joke, nice sketch! 👍
  • Options
    @Londy3;
    Damn, you're good!
  • Options
    motorcycling
    firearms