Home General
Options

Good and Welfare

Comments

• Options
    @PappyJoe
    Excellent to hear good news! Glad your all ok. 
  • Options
    Update. File this under “reverse psychology must work.”

The word this morning was at least a week before the power was restored. I made the command decision to evacuate to our son on the other side of the state. 

Just as we were getting into HEAVY traffic in Baton Rouge (86 miles from home) we find out our power was back on. 

Still no internet or tv, but we have A/C and our own beds. 
  • Options
    No good deed goes unpunished.

But seriously: Glad to know you are all ok …. except for some inconvenience.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe glad to see you made it through in good shape. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited September 2021
    You da Man @PappyJoe !   🤗🎅🏼🤗

• Options
    @motie2
    No.

I'm just the recipient of someone or something watching over me and my family.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited September 2021
    (You still da Man in my eyes!)

And all us codgers have landlines; “The Gold Standard in Mid-Twentieth Century Telecommunications.”😉
  • Options
    @Londy3
    What the heck is that thing??😬
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    @Londy3
    Yah, Yah, I’m old enough that I could actually operate a rotary dial phone.  I use to be able to dial a phone number by tripping the “hang’er-up-er”/“hook” like a Morse code key.  
    I tried it at the dorm at MSU Bozeman once.  I had my bare forearm on the metal door frame and touched the “hook” with my hand….damn did I get a shock when we received an incoming call.  It wasn’t static either, it was the 80+ volts? used for the phone ringer, there must have been a short to the door frame or maybe it was grounded opposite the phone system?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Question:  Out of curiosity, does anyone else eat raw potato as a snack?  I love them with “Montana’s Special Spice” Alpine Touch, which is great on popcorn by the way too.  I always wondered why I never saw raw potatoes served in restaurants🤔.  Recently, in the last 2-3 years or so, I found out that apparently they are poisonous. I always knew they were part of the nightshade family like tomatoes and tobacco, and I knew the green parts of those plants are poisonous.  My father always said to remove any green skin and “eyes” before eating potatoes, cooked or otherwise.  I don’t recall my father ever eating raw potatoes and he was brought up in the depression…he ate lots of “interesting” things.  My mother was the one that always ate raw potatoes.  I have semi-regularly eaten raw potatoes ever since I can remember.  I do not notice any of the “problems” that are suppose to occur🤔

• Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    I always wondered why In old movies they would keep flicking the hook on the phone. Doesn't that hang up the call? 

I actually have eaten raw potatoes. I still do when I'm making dinner. Me and my beagle always snack on them while I'm cutting them up. Poisonous??? 😳
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    @Londy3
    The phone did not hang up if you flicked it very quickly.  Actually, if you remember the clicks on a rotary phone when the dial “clicked down”…the number of clicks equaled the dialed numeral.  You had to be quick and leave spaces between the individual numbers.  Why did I do it? Just to see if I could.  Hearing the multiple clicks on a rotary phone was what prompted me to try it in the first place.
  • Options
    Not to be gross here, but the article about raw potatoes says they are difficult to break down and will pass through the gut without breaking down.  Maybe my gut works differently? I don’t get pieces or chunks of raw potato coming out like whole kernel corn😖
  • Options
    Mmmmmmmmmm, whole kernal corn…….🤭
  • Options
     @Londy3
    Maybe just…”special”😬
  • Options
    I've just learned by reading a discussion on one of the other pipe forums that Ken Barnes passed away in April.

Ken was the original owner from James Upshals pipes passed away in April. Barnes was born in 1955 and first worked with pipes at the Charatan factory in London during school holidays and at 16, he worked in the Charatan shop in Jermyn Street, London. From 1973-1977 he was trained at Charatan in the art of pipe-making by craftsman Barry Jones and Joan Nicholson, both of whom worked with Reuben Charatan in the 1950s.

Two years after Dunhill took over Charatan, Barnes left and formed a pipe manufacturing company with Barry Jones called The Tilshead Pipe Co. producing James Upshall Pipes. He ran the company for 11 years until selling his shares in the company in 1989.

Ken Barnes was the most knowledgeable man I had ever come across about Charatan pipes and was always available to answer questions about 
    Charatan pipes. I only knew him through pipe forums, but I think the pipe world has lessened with his passing.
  • Options

Ken Barnes - English Pipe-maker.

<<I was born in 1955 and, aged 13, I first worked with pipes at the Charatan factory in London during school holidays and at 16, I worked in the Charatan shop in Jermyn Street, London. From 1973-1977 I was trained at Charatan in the art of pipe-making by craftsman Barry Jones and Joan Nicholson, both of whom worked with Reuben Charatan in the 1950s. In 1978, two years after the Dunhill takeover, I formed my own pipe manufacturing company with Barry Jones called The Tilshead Pipe Co. producing James Upshall Pipes. I ran this company for 11 years and finally sold my shares in 1989. Two years ago, after a 27-year break from pipe-making, I had the urge to make a few really fine high-grade English classical shapes which I am now making in Cornwall, England - I adore making pipes!>>

https://www.scandpipes.com/pipes/759-ken-barnes/

• Options
    Going on a week since family was diagnosed with covid. The kids seem to be coming better, no smell, no taste. The wife is still a mess. Not sure if having no gall bladder has made recovery worse for her, but I can say if she hadn't had the vaccine she would be in the hospital for sure. This is the sickest I have ever seen her. The most damned thing is me and the youngest didn't get sick at all. Knock on wood. Taking care of everything here I haven't had time for a pipe in over a few weeks I think? Word to the wise...don't catch this.
  • Options
    @Zouave

”Thoughts and prayers.” 

A cliché, but heartfelt. Wishing you all a complete recovery and return to health.
  • Options
    @Zouave

The virus covers the spectrum from asymptomatic to hospitalization, thankfully your family has faired well!

Keep up the good work, pipe time will return.
  • Options
    @Zouave
    Please keep us updated. As @motie2 says... Thoughts and prayers...
  • Options
    We need an update @PappyJoe
    All ok we pray.?.?
  • Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited September 2021
    The wife and I are okay. House is fine, we have power, phone and internet.
    Our youngest daughter is in a battle with her landlord though. She has a two year lease on a nice house that is still without electricity. One tree fell across her drive way and took out the power line to the house. Another tree clipped the edge of the right rear corner but not where any water is getting into the house. The couple who owns the house are assholes. Apparently, the husband wanted to sell the house but his wife signed the lease. They told her Friday night that the house was uninhabitable and she had one day to move out.

Anyway, they have been arguing over it and the cops were even called to "maintain peace." In Louisiana, a landlord can't just evict a tenant, they have to go to court and get a court ordered eviction. It was pointed out that there is a moratorium on eviction but the landlord claims that is only for minorities. I don't think that is true. There is also the fact that it's hard to get an eviction issued after a natural disaster like a hurricane when there are hundred of thousands of people made homeless. 

The woman also claimed: 1. It will take 18 months to fix the roof and get the power back on. 2. She doesn't have the money to pay an electrician to reconnect the power. 
    My daughter's boyfriend said they would pay for the electrician and would take it out of the rent as it said they can do in the lease. She wasn't happy with that either. 

Waiting to see what this morning brings. 

• Options
    @PappyJoe

That certainly qualifies for an OY VAY,
  • Options
    Lost my Mom on Friday the third. She was 86.
  • Options
    @AnantaAndroscoggin sorry for your loss, my thoughts go out to you and your family.