Home General
Options

Good and Welfare

Comments

• Options
    BTW, and regarding the miracle cure Ivermectin.....

https://patch.com/new-jersey/morristown/meme-falsely-quotes-drew-professor-saying-ivermectin-cures-covid

MADISON, NJ — Dr. William Campbell won a Nobel Prize for the discovery of ivermectin. But the Madison University fellow associate spoke out when somebody horsed around with his name and picture to make it appear he endorsed the drug against COVID-19.

A viral meme circulated with a picture of Campbell and the following text: "My name is William Campbell, in 2015 I won the Nobel prize in medicine for the discovery of Ivermectin. The fake news and big pharma want you to live in fear. Fauci won't promote Ivermectin because he is the little parasite it destroys."

Campbell did not say that, and he released a statement via the university rejecting any connection to the meme.

"I utterly despise and deny the remarks attributed to me on social media on September 8, 2021," Campbell wrote. "I reject both the substance and the tone of the remarks, and resent their presentation as a direct quotation. The tweet in question was not concerned with science. I am a biologist with no claim to expertise in the clinical evaluation of drugs against viral infections. Thus, I have not taken a stand in support of, or against, the efficacy of ivermectin against COVID-19."

The Washington Post's Fact Checker page first brought a misleading tweet into the mainstream media after Campbell, via university officials, established that its contents were false. The university immediately reported the tweet for impersonating an individual and citing misleading and potentially harmful misinformation.

Twitter removed the tweet as of Friday.

Campbell and Satoshi Omura won the 2015 Nobel Prize in Medicine for discovering ivermectin, a drug that treats parasitic infections such as river blindness. Ivermectin has recently been suggested as an alternative treatment or preventative measure against COVID-19, a theory that has not been scientifically validated.

Certain animal formulations of ivermectin, such as pour-on, injectable, paste and "drench," are approved in the United States to treat or prevent parasites in animals, according to the FDA. The agency has approved ivermectin tablets for humans at very specific doses to treat some parasitic worms and topical formulations for head lice and skin conditions like rosacea.

Overdosing on ivermectin can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, hypotension (low blood pressure), allergic reactions (itching and hives), dizziness, ataxia (problems with balance), seizures, coma and death, according to the FDA.

• Options
    @motie2
    Of course it is. 

@Balisong
    Meet the other side of the coin. While I have never "dealt" with Apple, I have been a Mac user since 1987. You may be pissed because Apple "sealed up proprietary Mac crap" but I appreciate that they did. It's why Macs are still relatively free from viruses, worms and hacking. I had a friend that enjoyed harassing me for the amount I spent on a Mac desktop once. Over the next 12 months he had to repair or replace his PC three times and wound up spending more than my initial purchase. 

To each his own. 
  • Options
    Not to mention that for a long while, to bring a PC up to a Mac's out-of-the box capabilities, you had to buy and install several expansion cards. Not exactly cheap.

• Options
    Stopped using Microsoft products in '97.  Personally I have used Linux and OS/X since.   Typically get a MacBook Pro from work otherwise I would just use Linux exclusively.   I have a long list of grievances against Microsoft that I will save for Festivus.
  • Options
    I started with computers with a Commodore Vic 20 and commercially with DEC's PDP and Vax models. One corporate user wanted their Mac connected to the Vax. I had done many PC hookups so I started connecting it in. That was the last Mac I worked on. If memory serves, Mac OS, Linux and Android all have roots in Unix. DOS came from IBM and the mouse came from Xerox. 
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited September 2021
    Brings back memories for sure... 😂🤣
  • Options
    My introduction to computers was a TRS-80 and the TRS-80 100. They were DOS systems. The Coast Guard also used some B-TOS and C-TOS computer systems before standardizing on MS-Dos. Fortunately, Coast Guard Public Affairs moved to Macs because originally Pagemaker was only written for MacOS. Some other divisions used Macs because they could be shielded to prevent RF from leaking out. 
  • Options
    vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited September 2021
    I won’t use my laptops until they get vaccinated for COVID… :D
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003

I keep my laptop and desktop computers over six feet apart. I only cover them when I'm not using them and I check them for viruses on a daily basis.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe where do you insert the cotton swab?
  • Options
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited September 2021
    MAC is better than PC in every way but one: most folks have PC’s.

Only sorta-kinda reminds me of the Betamax/VHS imbroglio.
  • Options
    I started with computers with a Commodore Vic 20 and commercially with DEC's PDP and Vax models. One corporate user wanted their Mac connected to the Vax. I had done many PC hookups so I started connecting it in. That was the last Mac I worked on. If memory serves, Mac OS, Linux and Android all have roots in Unix. DOS came from IBM and the mouse came from Xerox. 

I taught myself to program on an Atari 400, then Apple ][.   Loved DEC, worked on a 11/780.

Mac OS follows BSD Unix flavor with a Mach kernel.  Linux and Android follow the System V flavor of Unix.  

Mouse was from Xerox PARC.   Steve Jobs visited the center and saw all the advance stuff.   It was all written in Smalltalk and Steve later mentioned he wished he stayed long enough to see Smalltalk.  A lot of tech came out of there and Xerox CxO's were too dumb to realize they sat on a gold mine.  That PARC team flew apart and formed some big companies.

IBM was going to use CPM but the guy was on vacation in the Caribbean so they called Billy to use DOS and the rest is history.

• Options
    Abandoned DOS/PCs when Windows 2.0 was released, and too may people spent more of their days rebooting from crashes than working.
  • Options
    Now that's funny! Especially given the fact that half of my family has died from cancer and I probably will too at some point! Sometimes you just have to laugh at death...why? Because we'll all die at some point and there's no stopping it!  B)
  • Options
    No one gets out of here alive, and in my experience it usually ends badly.......
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    My god man, cheer the hell up...death is not worth worrying about...enjoy the life you have for god's sake! 
  • Options
    <<death is not worth worrying about.>>

Nonsense. Let's take a vote.....
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited September 2021
    @vtgrad2003

You seem angry all the time.      "Why so serious?"
    I enjoy playing with you, but this anti-science, "I'm better than you are so I get to cast aspersions" attitude is wearing thin.
    You have accused me of being WOKE.
    I didn't know what it meant -- I figured it was an negative epithet -- so I looked it up; I put WOKE into the Google.

<<What does it mean to call someone a woke?
    The term refers to being aware of social movements. Woke was officially added into the Oxford English Dictionary as an adjective in June 2017. The dictionary defines it as “originally: well-informed, up-to-date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice”.Jun 26, 2021>>

Guilty as charged, I guess, as I try to be alert 
    to racial or social discrimination and injustice;
    but I would refuse to be a member of any social movement that would have me as a member.

• Options
    Good news is the family is finally over covid. The bad news is for me that I got it! Feeling better now but I can't smell ANYTHING. I can bury my nose into any tobacco jar I own and it has absolutely zero smell to me....I tried. I could pack a pipe full of celantro and wouldn't be able to tell the damn difference. Hoping this passes quickly.
  • Options
    Follow the Money
    Not the Science
      😁
  • Options
    @Zouave
    Happy to hear about the family and sorry to hear about your condition. When I had it early in the pandemic I still had a pipe here and there, the visual of the smoke drifting in the air I find to be relaxing and comforting. I hope it passes quickly and if it worsens seek medical care.
  • Options
    @motie2
    I like the differences of opinion and chime in regularly. If all the members were on the right I'd defend the left and vice versa, it's the privilege of being in the middle. That being said the "on and on" rants are foolish and annoying.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    @motie2 

Ummm, I'm a full professor at the second public HBCU in the nation and the largest HBCU in the nation...have been for 15 years now; yet no one, not even my students, would consider me to be woke, however, so I wonder where your 'official' definition runs awry. 
  • Options
    @Balisong

I've noticed that about you, and to me it seems as you actually do sit in the "middle" of ideologies...I find that truly commendable. Most that claim "middle" ground are in fact not. I have a colleague that when debating he always states "I'm a registered independent" and uses that as leverage in the argument (especially when he's losing the argument), but has never voted for a republican in his entire life, lol. 

I'll be the first to admit that I am on the right side of the aisle in a conservative sense. What I mean is that I'm mostly "republican" sociologically (e.g., pro choice up to a point, pro legalization of marijuana, etc.), and hardcore "conservative" economically (small government, low taxes, etc.). I always tell my students that "I'm so economically conservative, I make Ronald Reagan look like a New Dealer".