Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Pipe Tobacco Reviews

Comments

• Options
    @pwkarch, I also enjoy Lane Ready Rubbed, you should try the Match Edgeworth , I think you’ll enjoy it.
  • Options
    @pwkarch. Did you try the Sutliff Black Spice PRIOR to jarring? If so, what was the difference, if any?
    By the way, I ditto @Kmhartle...
  • Options
    Sutliff Dulce de Leche

On a roll here mainly due to the beautiful weather, and complete boredom and lack of activity on my part. Opened my closet looking for something that was on my short list but not yet tried, I see the jar of Sutliff Dulce de Leche. I ordered this months ago based on the reviews and comments online, and a notation of a brown sugar and vanilla taste and aroma. I recall several comments regarding a slight butterscoth note that I just had to try.

My guess is someone snuck in and stole the flavors from the jar. Although the jar had some sweet redeeming aroma, there was no brown sugar nor vanilla to be discernable. The aroma from the jar was rather flat, hay like, and non descript with no ability on my part to identify any of the noted flavors individually. even the combined flavors was kind of bland. This is a burley and virginia tobacco blend and the sort of flat 'hay"flavor was dominant.

In fairness to the blend, I was sitting on our screen porch while it was slightly breezy with lots of pollen in the air which has affected mr here the last several days, so I WILL try this again in several weeks in fairness to my desire to be impartial. Anyone who has read any of my reviews knows I love the Sutliff products offered almost without reservation.

The prelight draw was rather blah followed by the char/ first light, which was also rather blah. I could not get any particular flavors to come out as I took my time. The tobacco was rather smokey, and i almost immediately felt some slight tongue and mouth bite. This never ramped up beyond just a slight bite which very well could have been due to the breeze despite my slow cadence.

This tobacco never changed its' character in the first two thirds or so of the bowl. I kept waiting for some changes to develop and produce some varying tastes and aromas. Finally, near the bottom third or so the tobacco started giving a deeper character and thick and better tasting smoke. I still did not get the advertised flavors, but it was pleasant and enjoyable with what i think was the burley showing up. I might describe it as a close cousin to Carter Hall or Prince Albert were it not for the virginia tobaccos.

I know I have over the years been not so much disappointed as perplexed why certain blends did not give me the taste and aromas that others have claimed. I also know there are a myriad of reasons why this could be. I am not writing this blend off at all, instead I will revisit this in the not too distant future to compare that experience with todays' venture and record an appropriate second opinion.
  • Options
    KA9FFJ

No, I did not. That was the maiden voyage. Sorry, I cannot answer what the changes could have been.......

Semper fi
  • Options
    Like someone said, Dulce de Leche is the poor cousin of Molto Dolce. Never smoked the last one but liked Dulce de Leche.
  • Options
    @riobrusa

You could be right.....I checked my notes made when I tried Molto Dolce, my main comment was sweet and smoky (thus the name),  I rated MD as a 9 at the time for my personal grade, where I rated the DdL as a 7 at the time I smoked that just the other day.. 
  • Options
    Tnx again @pwkarch. Really enjoy your input...
  • Options
    @pwkarch
    My personal experience is that aromatics don't age well, as do English blends.

@riobrusa
    If you liked DdL you really should try MD. It is significantly better IMHO. MD is the perfect newbie blend, and many old timers enjoy it, too, even ones who favor English and VaPers.
  • Options
    @motie2, @riobrusa

I have tried and liked Molto Dolce, and I agree with your comments. Good stuff indeed. And I still want to give Dolce de Leche a couple more tries on better days without bwind.

Although I think I slightly disagree relative to aromatics not aging well. I have to say with some of my aromatics several years old, I do not detect an appreciable degradation in flavor. Since I smoke mostly aro's I think the vanillas stay strong, the rums I am not certain, and cherries I do not do often enough to have an opinion.

Gentlemen, I bid you a good night......

• Options
    I tried Dulce de Leche a couple of times and didn't like it very much, just not enough taste and room note. I do like Molto Dolce however.
  • Options
    @pwkarch

The Science of Long Term Aromatic Pipe Tobacco Storage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrgGsVSJZGc
  • Options
    pwkarchpwkarch Master
    Russ's Cavendish in the Woods

I have had this tobacco now resting for two months in a Mason Jar. It was a warm and humid Sunday afternoon and I sat in front of my garage to smoke this a seond time, this time in a briar as opposed to the first time in a MM Corn Cob pipe. The tobacco was a bit drier than my first bowl (comparing my notes) yet it had a nice "spring" to it as Ii loaded my pipe.

The tobacco in the jar as well as in the bowl has a slight vanilla aroma and what I percieve as possibly a honey note. I do not detect any dried fruit qualities. There is a cavendish quality to the aroma which does produce a nice rich and mellow sweet base.

After lighting the pipe, it was just a little difficult to keep it burning at first, but after relighting and settling down it burned well. The first half bowl or so took a bit of time as much the result of the large bowl as the decent burn characteristics of the blend. Enjoyable as I expected, but I cannot pull any specific taste or aroma notes from the smoke. My only comment is it has a typical "cavendish" quality about it with the same vanilla and possibly a little honey influence. Still no dried fruit notes that I could detect. The first half also had a tendency to "bite" just a little as I was still nursing the ember. I relit maybe twice on the first half of the bowl which is unusual for me when I get my pipes going.

The second half never really changed its' character. It was pretty much the same exercise, although not bad at all, I like when a blend changes the experiece as it is smoked. The smoke took about 45 minutes to complete and I never got any hint of dried fruit The smoke left a plug of 'dottle", and a bit of moisture once the white and grey ash were dumped.

There is Certainly nothing bad about the blend at all, it just did not develop for me as a lot of my favorite blends do. It has some qualities of Sutliff BCA and VBC, but is not as sweet, mellow, or aromatic. It is definately not on the same par as my favorite vanilla blend Sutliff Vanilla Custard (strictly my personal opinion).

I will certainly smoke this again, maybe on a cooloer or less humid day. I may even try to see what I could mix this with to enjoy it even more. I have a couple of the Russ's blends that I enjoy very much.  Sometimes I think having to smoke outside in the ambient weather conditions hampers the senses, but I have no alternative or I would be cast out into the weather by my wife.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @pwkarch -- Great review. Thanks, as always.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @thebadgerpiper -- Great review: better than "Awesome." Thanks!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    @pwkarch Great review. Sutliff Vanilla Custard is one of my favorite vanilla blends as well. And from my experience it's the perfect choice when seeking out something to make a less appealing bland blend more enjoyable. Before discounting any blend or relegating it to my "I'll only smoke this again when the zombie apocalypse comes and there is nothing else left to smoke", I'll add a bit a pinch of Vanilla Custard to spice it up, and unless the blend is pure garbage it will usually turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.
    It's also one of the main ingredients in my one claim to fame "Mrs. Hudson's 221B Bakery Blend", along with Sutliff Chocolate Mousse and Creme Brulee.  
  • Options
    Joe
    I could smoke nothing but SVC if all other tobacco disappeared and be very happy.....not that I want that to happen
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    And, of course, I feel the same way about Barbados Plantation.

Although a little Latakia in a bowlful is nice.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    @motie2 Do you give your bowl-full of BP a little dry time before loading? 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Only when I've just cracked open a new tin. 
  • Options
    I keep trying to develop a taste for Latakia, so last night I had a bowl of Edward G Robinson ... but only after mixing in a little Vanilla Custard. And it seemed to do the trick. Edward G Robinson is not a Latakia heavy blend to begin with ... but Latakia is such a dominant flavored tobacco it usually masks any other flavor. But that Vanilla Custard pushed the aromatic flavor forward and not only made the Latakia more tolerable for me ... but made it a truely enjoyable smoke. That leather flavor of Latakia in the background added a nice dimension to the bowl lacking in a strictly aromatic blend. The room note had the woody smell of a campfire on an Autumn evening. A pleasant and somewhat nostalgic experience. But not a blend I'd dare smoke in the house.  
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I have not been able to detect the Latakia in Carey Revolution Tabac at all...... :p
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    edited June 2019
    Had my first bowl of Balkan Sobranie.  Heavy on the orientals, with Latakia coming in second.  Interesting departure from VaPers and heavy Latakia blends.  The spiciness might be a bit much for me...
    Also forgot to mention the sour flavour.  Not really my cup of tea, but I'll try to blend it with some virginia to mellow it out.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @mfresa - Please let us know how adding the Virginia works out?
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @motie2, the red Virginia helped quite a bit, about a 50/50 mix.  Also bought some C&D bulk Balkan today, much less sour, good balance without having to add anything like Virginia.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Thanks. 

Today's Balkan Sobranie is not yesterday's Balkan Sobranie.

• Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    That's for sure.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited July 2019
    At last: The review w've all been waiting for..... Merde de Cheval

FIRST IMPRESSIONS | "Merde de Cheval"
    STUFFandTHINGS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LljK44PpU44

ACTUAL REVIEW
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyiqsUWwIZg