Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Pipe Tobacco Reviews

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2017
    @motie2 @Charles @pwkarch @Wolf41035 From the moment I opened my tin of Molto Dolce I simply packed my pipe and began smoking. It might have taken an additional light or two but the moisture content has never permitted me from smoking it directly from the tin with no drying time. I'm not even sure leaving it out on a napkin is going to dry it out that much anyway. It's the only tobacco I know of that you don't have to transfer to a Mason jar to keep it from drying out. Leave it in the tin for two or three months with just the plastic lid on it and the stuff will be just as moist as the day you opened it. It's that super sweet casing that gives it that wonderful taste, so the moisture content doesn't bother me so long as you smoke it nice and slow. And if you require an addition light or two it's well worth the pleasure I get from smoking it. It does goop leave a bit of goop in the bottom of the bowl - but that's what a pipe cleaner or Q-Tip are for. 
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- You're preaching to the choir :)
    Even though I moved on to other Sutliff blends, MD is something I would recommend to any aromatic smoker, without reservation.
    To say that it's a bit "moist towelette" and sticky right out of the tin.... well, that's not a bad thing in the case of MD.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe

Bravo Zulu Senior Chief.......          
  • Options
    Gentlemen

Today I tried my new shipment of Sutliff Christmas Spice. Well, HO HO HO. I smoked it in my truck on my way home from work early this afternoon and pretty much fell in love with it. "Love at first puff".
    Someone on our site mentioned it just days ago in a "what are you smoking now " post which then reminded me I wanted to get some and try it. After all, "tis the season".

It arrived yesterday morning via UPS, and when I got home yesterday afternoon I immediately jarred it. Several hours later I decided to put a couple of ounces in one of my leather tobacco pouches for my ride home today. Point being, it was somewhat moist but not horribly so. I doubt if the overnight stay in my briefcase trapped in a leather pouch did much to really dry it.

On my way home this afternoon I filled my Kaywoodie Briar pipe and lit her up. As I was filling my bowl I detected a wonderful aroma of sweetbread and raisins, possibly raisin bread or oatmeal raisin cookies. Very distinct and pleasurable to say the least. The tobacco packed very nicely and accepted the light graciously. As I started sipping I was immediately enveloped in a super sweet cloud of smoke. Interestingly this is one tobacco blend that I can say has very similar tobacco and taste/ smoke aromas, which seems to be an unusual characteristic with aromatic tobacco.

The smoke was incredibly thick, almost chewy, and imparted a wonderful aroma in my truck cab. In fact as I write this little review I can still detect that wonderful aroma on my beard and shirt. 

The bowl smoked very well with virtually no moisture issues. I could tell this blend enjoys a slow cadence and probably could bite you if rushed. The first third of the bowl was very sweet and enjoyable.

The next third of the bowl turned even more mellow and delicious. I could detect the essence of fresh baked cookies being baked by a loving mother or grandmother. They say the sense of smell is the strongest of the senses, and it is amazing what memories or imaginary things are prompted by our good old olfactory senses.

The final third of the bowl was disappointing. Disappointing only because the initial bowl of this wonderful blend was almost over. This blend is advertised as containing Cinnamon and Nutmeg, neither of which was perceptible to me lindividually, but I am sure they were background "condiments" that made this blend so tasty.

The finish was sad, but all good things must come to an end. I dumped the bowl which had some nice grey and white ash, with no doddle and just a trace of dampness way down in the bowl.

This blend exceeded my expectations in every respect. I know I will blow through what I have left from a three ounce purchase quickly, at which time I will order some additional to cellar and to smoke throughout the four seasons. After all, everyday can be like Christmas IF you believe.
  • Options
    @pwkarch, - what a review!!!  Excellent!!  Makes me think of a new thread to post, stay tuned...
  • Options
    @pwkarch I was contemplating writing a review for this but you covered the bases so well no need adding anything to it. I think my description was something like a fruit cake without those disgusting chewy globs of gelled fruit - but your sweetbread and raisins comment is closer to the mark. There is a slight similarity to Sutliff Black Spice, but of the two Christmas Spice is more flavorful. Great review! If I didn't already have a Mason jar full of the stuff I'd go out and buy it immediately after reading your review.  
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii

Hey, I am am not a shill for Sutliff, even though I like a lot of their blends. I just "calls em as I seez em" so to speak. And I was possibly in a gregarious mood smoking that blend yesterday because of the music that had serenaded my soul the night before?
  • Options
    I was wondering if anyone else tasted the similarities between Christmas Spice and Black Spice?

And don't knock fruit cake. When it's done properly from scratch at home, it isn't anywhere near as bad as what you buy commercially.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe

I don't know Senior Chief.....I might be in the minority but I like fruitcake......
  • Options
    I finally opened a tin of Cornell and Diehl's Haunted Bookshop Pipe Tobacco I purchased in 2015.  For those who may not have smoked this blend, it is a Burley based mix with Perique and Virginia tobaccos.  I smoked this in my Peterson Army mount billiard and found it to be a full body smoke.  The tobacco is somewhat dry out of the tin which makes for good packing and does not leave any moisture or goop at the bottom of the bowl.  This blend smokes to a nice greyish white ash and seems to burn consistently without having to constantly relight.

I found an excellent piece written on this blend while surfing the net which prompted me to open my tin and give it a go.  Here is the link to the review for anyone interested in this blend:  https://tobaccodiaries.com/2017/12/17/cornell-and-diehls-haunted-bookshop-tobacco-review/

This website also has other interesting reviews so I thought it would be a great thing to share.  Seriously considering purchasing larger quantities both in bulk and additional tins for cellaring.

• Options
    Gentlemen

I was fortunate that today I had a short time to finally try my Nording Hunter Labrador blend that I received last week. On Thursday UPS delivered it from P&C (2 days!), and later on Thursday I jarred it. I had put several bowls full in a leather pouch. Today was finally the day that I checked it out.

The tobacco was just about right in the moisture category, and in fact when I loaded the pouch last week out of the jar I made a similar observation. The tobacco has a wonderful aroma, a full sweet aroma although not off the charts. A deep sniffing has a very slight almost coconut smell to me. I can pickup vanilla, caramel, a nutty aroma, and maybe honey. Absolutely wonderful aroma. It smells like a candy shop- what is not to like?

The tobacco loads very easily and well, and the finger becomes very tasty. The prelight draw is absolutely delicious and just makes you want to get on with the smoke. My guess at this point is that those who do not enjoy sweet aromatic tobaccos will find this blend "off putting" to say the least, and perhaps "awful" to say the most. As one who loves these aros', I have to say it is awesome. More for me to buy.

So I light the pipe, a Medico "Varsity" briar, and the next 40 or so minutes I was a happy camper. The aroma in my truck, on my palate, and in my nose was wonderful.  All of the notes I picked up in the jar were there during the smoking of the bowl. It is one of only a few tobaccos that I have encountered this. The first third or so of the bowl was very enjoyable with no bite, and no discernible moisture, popping, fizzing, etc.

The second third or so was just as fulfilling to me, and as an experiment I slowed the cadence down to almost put the fire out, and man did the tastes come through. Very, very distinct notes of all the above referenced aromas. The neat thing is that I could "taste" some of the advertised components individually at times, with an amalgam of the components during the rest of the time.

The last third of the bowl was as good as the first two thirds. The smoke after 40 minutes or so just gave itself up. I was very impressed with the tobacco. Again, if you do not like strong, sweet notes, this will note be for you. I am glad that I purchased two tins (kind of expensive), and after Christmas I will buy several more.

As kind of a "post script" to this review, this smoke took place about 4 hours ago, and I can still smell the most enjoyable aroma on my shirt and my beard. This tobacco does not quit, even after the smoking experience is completed.
  • Options
    @pwkarch -- Thank you for the delightful reviews!!!!
  • Options
    Does anyone have knowledge/experience of these tobaccos? Available literature makes them sound interesting to aromatic smokers.

NameReviewsAvg RatingBlend Type
    Mac Baren - St. Bruno Flake128 3.2Aromatic
    Mac Baren - St. Bruno Ready Rubbed97 3.0Aromatic
    E. A. Carey - Carey's Bruno Special4 3.3Aromatic

[ From http://www.tobaccoreviews.com ]
  • Options
    @Motie2 I seem to steer away from MacBaren blends because I've often heard smokers complain about the MacBeren bite. As if it's common knowledge. So I stay away. Don't think I've ever bought a MacBaren blend as a result. 
  • Options
    @motie2 @ghostsofpompeii

The only MacB blend I have in my cellar is "Plumcake" which has been in there for a year or so, and I have yet to take it for a test drive.

Don't listen to what anyone else says....try it you may like it. My experience with people who complain about bite is they smoke too fast.
  • Options
    I’ve smoked St. Bruno Flake. Two tins. It was good and I didn’t have a problem with bite. 
  • Options
    Thanks, gentlemen.
  • Options
    I'm gonna give Christmas Spice another shot,tried some on my first order from smokingpipes a couple of months ago I think. I just couldn't taste or smell much from this blend, I've read  that a few members really like it, so I'm gonna a another go at it.Maybe the vibe will be different this time. I did dig Sutliff Pumpkin Spice.
  • Options
    there are some really good reviews here where do you guys get your smoke from? do you buy it online or do you go to a shop? any good places online that are good to buy from? 

I got mine from smokingpipes.com I was going to get it from jrcigars.com because of price but there were a few I wanted that jrcigar didn't have or they sold in bulk.

@ghostsofpompeii @PappyJoe @motie2

• Options
    CharlesCharles Master
    edited January 2018
    @Pipefreak2383 some common online shops are smokingpipes.com, pipesandcigars.com, countrysquireradio.com, and cup o joes.com.  Prices vary but I'm sure you will find some good stuff as you explore each site.  Shipping is usually within a few days and if something is backordered, it arrives quick when it becomes available.  The first two sites seem to be the most popular with more stock to offer.     Good luck exploring. 
  • Options
    @Charles
    Thank you very much 
  • Options
    @Pipefreak2383 you're welcome, glad to be of service.  
  • Options
    I use a variety of on-line shops:  https://www.thecountrysquireonline.com pipesandcigars.com smokingpipes.com paylesspipes.com
    There are also a number of other shops that are well-known and have an on-line presence like 4-Noggins, Iwan Ries, and a bunch of others. 
  • Options
    Pipefreak2383 -- If you enjoy sweet aromatic blends I'd recommend a couple of Sutliff products:
    Barbados Plantation (rum flavor) [It's the only thing I smoke, which makes me an outlier.....]
    Sunset Rum (rum, again)
    Molto Dolce (vanilla, caramel, etc., very sweet blend)
    Vanilla Custard (Vanilla flavor) 

If you like VaPers (Virginia/Perique blends):
    Escudo
    Dunhill Elizabethan

If you like English blends (Latakia blends):
    I'm not the one to ask.......  Perhaps ask @PappyJoe for recommendations.......
  • Options
    Going to take forever to read all these reviews I have been missing! Not today, still have eye problems and I have had a very bad headache for over a week now, might be time to go to see a doctor.
  • Options
    buflosab

Buff.....The Sutliff Christmas Spice is a KEEPER....a very nice tasty and wonderful aroma tobacco.
  • Options
    @pwkarch -- So what does it have going on? Tastes like? Smells like? Room note? Bite?
  • Options
    @motie2

Motie

I did a review on December 15......check it out.
  • Options
    @pwkarch -- Thanks. I went back and found it......