Home General
Options

What are you Drinking while smoking your pipe today?

Comments

• Options
    Chasing the green fairy. (but not too far)

A new liquor store opened up in the strip mall where I work so after work I took a tour of the place just to see what they had in stock.  As I wandered the aisles looking at brands familiar and strange I spotted a legend. I've never tried absinthe before. 
    Absente was the only brand that came in a small bottle (100ml) so I decided to try it. A little research online yielded a rough recipe. 

I took a standard disposable plastic  cocktail glass, added 15ml of absinthe, slowly added cold water until the glass was half full and then added 30ml of simple syrup. Stir well and enjoy. 

The first impression of the taste was good and plenty candy from my youth. The predominant flavor is anise or licorice. The second impression was whoa this stuff is strong! At 110 proof even diluted this stuff has a kick. 

I paired it with a bowl of Maltese Falcon. It worked since the flavor of the spirit would have overrun a less flavorful tobacco. I think I might try it with Key Largo next time. 
  • Options
    I've found American sold Absinthe to be inferior to the European versions, which have more wormwood, but are harder to find (in US).

Good absinthe will not get you "drunk" but it will get you what the kids call "stoned," and I call stuporous; slumped me in a chair for a good period of time..... >:)
  • Options
    Oh my goodness what an experience! If I were younger I would do quite a bit more of this, but my A1C's and my blood sugar level won't allow it these days. I will on occasion. As I said, "What an EXPERIENCE!"
  • Options
    @Ron191
    Traditional absinthe is made from anise, fennel, wormwood, and alcohol, often with a variety of herbs added. It may not be hallucinogenic, but absinthe does have a very high alcohol content, 55 to 75 percent alcohol by volume, which equates to about 110 to 144 proof, compared to 40 percent ABV or 80 proof. At 55 percent ABV, your absinthe is at the low end. It's good you diluted it, in any event. The usual procedure involves a special utensil and sugar cubes. 

• Options
    Meanwhile, the darndest thing; it sounds awful, but I'm smitten with this beverage, especially while smoking my pipe

• Options
    Thanks for the information @motie2. I didn't know if I would like it so I bought the smallest bottle on the store and substituted simple syrup for the traditional sugar cube eliminating the need for the special absinthe spoon. I used a small pitcher to slowly pour in the water instead of the fancy dispenser that is built for the purpose. I'm cheap so if I can improvise or substitute what I have for something I'd have to buy then I'll do that. 

On your other post does the cucumber taste linger? Cucumber and lime sounds refreshing by I have trouble with cucumbers fighting back.  :) I still eat them it's just something I deal with. 
  • Options
    No burps; no linger; very refreshing..... but weird.
  • Options
    @motie2
         That Cucumber/Lime sounds tasty.😋

Grand Wormwood can be poisonous. Absinth with Grand Wormwood (thujone specifically) was illegal in the US since 1912 up until 2007 at which time it was allowed, but it has to have less than 10ppm of thujone in it.  A liqueur came on the market in 2000 with Southern Wormwood that did not have thujone in it.  I bought a bottle when it first came out it was called Absente “Absinthe Refined”.  It was pretty smooth when prepared in with the traditional sugar cube/ice water method.  I have not tried any Absinthe with Grand Wormwood yet.
    As a side note, I have the Metaxa Ouzo which has a similar flavor, but it is not nearly as smooth as the absinthe.
    Water lets out the “Green Fairy” In Absinthe, and turns Ouzo to “Tigers Milk”.🙂
  • Options
    Tonight I paired absinthe with a bowl of Key Largo. I backed the simple syrup down to 15 my from 30 my. Simple syrup is sweeter when sugar and it is easy to over do it. The addition of the cigar leaf makes a good counter point to the sweetness of the drink. 
  • Options
    Good day for day-drinking....

Gazpacho with a finger of cucumber vodka. 
  • Options
    Tonight I tried Dupin Carolina Red Scuppernong wine with a bowl of Carter Hall in a Dr Grabow. Throwing and pushing two trucks back to back needs S little liquid relaxation. The wine is sweet and intensely fruity . It makes a good pairing with the Carter Hall. It also pairs well with a soft August evening with the thunder rolling on the distance. 
  • Options
    Drinking a "modified" Paloma.  I did not have the lime juice, so I added a touch of Lime salt.  It's ok, but I think lime juice would have been much better.  It's not a bad pairing with the D&R Ramback I'm smoking, but something else might be better.  Not sure what though🤔
  • Options
    Duchess de Borgenese or something like that paired with John Cottons Double Pressed Virginia 
  • Options
    Working on a nice bottle of madeira  paired with a bowl of Capt. Earl's Reflections

• Options
    Coffee. Black. Too early for anything else.
  • Options
    I'm back to Jonah's Curse rum. Goes great with the two new Sutliff blends.

I also tried mixing a finger of cucumber vodka in a glass with SWMBO's gazpacho.  Freakin' outrageous!!!!
  • Options
    ScampiScampi Professor
    Atomic pumpkin voodoo ranger by new Belgium with captain black original in a Panama jack cob
  • Options
    ScampiScampi Professor
    So good and spicy, had to have a second bowl and a second beer
  • Options
    Maxpwr12Maxpwr12 Apprentice
    With everyone talking about spiced rum. I went out and tried it.  Wow! I tried Barbarossa spiced rum with a little lemon. That with some EA Carey English blend #2. This was an awesome paring. 
  • Options
    Spiced rum, rocks, squeeze of lime..... Yessir!
  • Options
    Currently drinking a salted cream cold foam cold brew from Starbucks with my pipe tonight.
  • Options
    Had our monthly pipe club (CPCC) meeting tonight and a fellow member who does some home distilling brought some homemade cherry Bourbon, sounds weird I know, but was surprisingly quite excellent.
  • Options
    Sunday FunDay
    It's sooo hot I changed it up a little today. Drinking Vodka with sparkling lime water with my Savinelli and in it some Peter Stokkebye Luxury English with some red Virginia flake. While cooking "The Sauce" for our family dinner tonight. 

Menu:
    "The Sauce" aka gravy
    Homemade linguine
    Fresh farm market beef and sausage for my meatballs
    Farm eggplant parmesan
    Fresh Italian bread
    Local red wine
  • Options
    Johnny Walker Red Scotch and water along with a pipe of Dunhill Nightcap are closing out the evening. It has bee a rough run up to inventory and I've earned a stiff drink. The Dunhill satisfies like a good cigar. 
  • Options
    For @motie2

Barbados Plantation Rum with my bowl of Rum Flake.

• Options
    @PappyJoe -- I tried that one; it was a favorite among straight rums. I was diverted into spiced rum, where, after trying seven examples, I found  "my brand."
  • Options
    Tonight it's Hamm's beer and 221B Baker Street. It's been a long week with our annual inventory and all the related craziness. That is over an it is time to kick back and relax.