Home Tobacco Talk
Options

What is your latest Tobacco Discovery?

Comments

• Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @qmechanics, I second that.  The John Cotton blends are a worthy bunch.
  • Options
    Since this has been revived after a while, I will tip my hat to MacB HH Burley Flake.
  • Options
    ocpunk714ocpunk714 Master
    edited August 2018
    I think G.L. Pease blends have been my favorite/latest discovery so far. The Old London Collection tins I have are really good. @jim102864 put me on to the Maltese Falcon which I am going through pretty regularly.

Their Lagonda Blend is my favorite in my new Elf Cobbit.
  • Options
    Jeff20Jeff20 Connoisseur
    For me, Peterson's of Dublin, has been my newest discovery, Connoisseur's Choice, Sweet Killarney, and Gold Blend are the 3 I've tried so far. Had some C.C. jared for a while, but the S. K. and Gold, are recent tries. Very good blends. 
  • Options
    It's been a while since I purchased any new tobacco from Pipes&Cigars but I just tried the latest blend from Russ' Monthly Blends - "Fudge Cake, and it's very good. Exceptional room note - but not much in the way of chocolate or fudge flavored. It's very subdued. 
  • Options
    Two years ago I decided to work through each manufacture"s line of blends.
    Being sixtyish I quickly realized I was going to forget the ones I liked and disliked. 
    So I Started  a data base to keep track. So far I worked through McCllelands line
    (Glad I did)  as who knew what was coming ( wished I'd naught more) and all
    of peter stokkebye tobaccos
    Of late I have been working through C&D,'"s selections including GL Please.
    My latest favorite from c&d is Rajha"s Court.
    The ones I don't care for I save and when I have a couple of pounds total I blend them together for what I call  my  Frankenstein blend.  On my third iteration 
    If it's not great I use it as a sarcriaficeall fill at the bottom of bowels.
    The latest blend came out quite well and I smoke it as I would any blend that I like.

• Options
    I’ve fallen in love with Sutliff’s Spiced Rum!!! Oh so good
  • Options
    My latest discovery has been Capstan Flake Blue. So flavorful but kind to the tongue. I see why Tolkien liked it so much. 
  • Options
    @watchmaker -- Try Sutliff Barbados Plantation, a superior rum blend.
  • Options
    My latest discovery was a blend that's been sitting neglected in my cellar for a while that I completely forgot about. It's Sutliff's "Dulce de Leche". Blend taste and smells like a toasted coconut marshmallow. What I discovered was I can probably put down my Pipes And Cigars catalog because I have everything I could possibly want within an arms reach. And this may be the one positive thing about getting old and having memory problems ... I'll have new experiences enjoying old things I've forgotten. Chances are I'll probably forget posting this message once I hit the 'Post Comment' button. 
  • Options
    It's nice to hear members reacquainted with blends forgotten, which in turn makes me and I'm sure others to try blends maybe forgotten.
  • Options
    Don't any of us manage to let ourselves get dehydrated . . . Among the lesser symptoms of dehydration is that humans get confused, making clear thinking (including about re-hydrating) hard to do, and as we know, errors and judgment-gone-to-crap can lead to fatalities (like from heat stroke, in extreme cases).
  • Options
    Bloodhound61Bloodhound61 Master
    edited August 2018
    @AnantaAndroscoggin, based on your description of the symptoms, I have apparently been dehydrated since I was 19.

As for "discoveries", and with apologies to the high falootin' among us, I recently found Captain Black Original/White to be my current favorite all-day tobacco. The search goes on, as with us all, and I'll keep enjoying new blends as I come across them. That said, I smoke 6-8 bowls a day, and some of those bowls come while I am not necessarily focused on the nuances of the tobacco...I don't even want one that I have to concentrate on too mightily. And so far, CB Original seems to fit that bill perfectly and enjoyably.
  • Options
    Bloodhound61
    We all like what we like;  I envy you a bit because after years of pipe smoking I have never truly found my all day blend. Maybe its because I prefer Englishs or a facsimile there of, though there not the only style I smoke
    The closest I've come is a C&D blend called Old Court. The upside though, is that the journey has and continues to be fun and an education
    Additionally it would seem that I too have been a bit dehydrated.
    Cheers 
  • Options
    @mapletop, the search never stops. One of the most enjoyable parts of this hobby is the discovery of that next new favorite in any category!
  • Options
    There are more kinds of pipe tobacco available these days than there are varieties and brands of salad dressing, and there are too many of those.
  • Options
    DavidR002DavidR002 Connoisseur
    Not a big fan of aro but I did mix plum putting with grape it turned out great.  The smoke does have a Grape flavor 
  • Options
    Mac Baren HH Bold Kentucky and Old Dark Fired are new, interesting blends to me. It's as if a switch was flipped, having never fully ventured into the world of dark fired Kentuckys.  The flavors are at once earthy and intense and then sweet and creamy.  They are both oaty, earthy and flavorful.   I latched right on to ODF but the Bold Kentucky took a while to lasso. I finding I'm enjoying burley blends more than I have previously.  Wonderful tobaccos both..  
  • Options
    @motie2 I just wonder how many different blends there really are as opposed to how many different names have been attached to the blends available. I'd like to be a fly on the wall at the Scandinavian Tobacco Group processing plant and see how many of the same blends are being packaged under different names. I'm pretty sure some aromatic smokers who turn their noses on OTC blends like Captain Black don't realize that premium blend they are smoking and paying a little more for could actually be one of many Captain Black blends.     
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii - I've wondered the same thing myself. There are quite a few blends out there that are real close to being other blends with just piddling difference in proportions. 
  • Options
    Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River is an amazing blend for those who like a deep, rich flavor (not an aromatic).  I'm going to have to cellar some of this.
  • Options
    I will give it a try on my next order
  • Options
    I don't remember how I stumbled on this blend, but I'm finding it rather interesting. Vauen No. 5 Oxford Blend, formally known as Earl Grey blend because it's flavored with Bergamot Orange like Earl Grey tea. Not a heavy aro, but you can still identify the flavoring and it is rather refreshing, but then, I like Earl Grey tea!

• Options
    My newest discovery is not a pipe tobacco believe it or not... It's chewing tobacco. At work I usually only have enough time right when I sign on to smoke 1 bowl. The rest of the day I can forget it. I was finding myself in need of some form of tobacco. A buddy of mine suggested it and it gets me through the rest of the day. Tennessee Chew, Levi Garrett, and Red Man are my go to tobaccos for this.
  • Options
    Michael308  If you  like a chew with lots of flavor try Lancster, it last a long time.  Red Man is good but would rather chew Golden Blend better quality less steams.
  • Options
    @RandyB1966 I'll have to find some Lancaster. Red Man Golden Blend is the kind I chew. I meant to put that. Although I think Tennessee chew has taken over as my favorite.
  • Options
    Michael308  I have chewed several of the years while I was on active duty.  Granger Select was one I chewed alot of in the service because nobody else liked it and than a pouch would last more than two days.  There used to be one called Chattanooga Chew that was pretty good also.
  • Options
    Back in March, I started smoking through some of the Watch City Cigar house blends.  It turns out Ernie Q is a superb blender who manages to create subtle smoking experiences without beating you over the head with toppings and such.  He is busy creating new blends from the Virginia family and they are wonderful.  However, I think where he really shines are the Burley blends.  I thought the Deluxe Crumb Cut was the ultimate, but I've just tried Quint's Own, and I have to say, this may be my new favorite, although I need several more smokes to make that declaration.  The QO is more complex than the DCC; whereas the DCC is a more straight forward burley with hints of cocoa or something similar, QO is a burley base with Cavendish, Virginia, Perique, and a slight presence of Latikia that is barely noticeable.  I plan to stock up on both.  Actually, I plan to stock up on more than a few of Ernie's blends - they are that good.
  • Options
    A friend at a recent pipe club meeting  offered me some Match Model knowing my affinity for nutty burley tobaccos.
    I  liked it and bought a pound, at $16.00 it was a no brainer, to my surprise when it arrived it turned out to be a Suffix tobacco.
    Model was originally a House of Windsor tobacco and I remember my grandfather used to smoke it occasionally back in the day.
    Anyway, it is a great straight burley, but after a few bowls it is very monolithic in taste and gets kind of boring.
    So I decided to use some of it as a base for some home blends and I have to say it realty shines in that role.
    If your looking for a nice nutty, medium strength, no bite burley to smoke straight or blend with I recommend the Match Model.
    One final note: this is a long ribbon cut tobacco and as such does not mix well, so I did chop it up some which worked well.