Home General
Options

Aromatic Smoker Only please....

Comments

• Options
    Who likes Sutliff blends?
  • Options
    Wolf,

I have a dozen or so of their blends.  I actually enjoy most of them.  My favorite Sutliff has to be their Peach Cobbler.  It is my go to dessert smoke.  I also enjoy their State Fair, Planters Punch and Fruit Tart.  Not too crazy about their Sangria or Merlot though.

Coincidentally I am sitting here enjoying a lil Capn Black Cherry in an old Dunhill Pot that I brought back to life a few months back.  It's a great smoker for Black Cavendish, heck any Cavendish blend for that matter. 

I also enjoy Molto Dolce but it seems that my most often smoked blend is the Match version of Dunhill MM 965.  Followed closely by the original Frog Morton.
  • Options
    @Bonanzadriver -- Thanks for the tip on Sutliff Peach Cobbler. I started with Molto Dolce, went to Maple Street, blended the two, tried Barbados Plantation and Vanilla Custard, blended the two, and then tried Creme Brulee, which, at least to me is a lighter version of Molto Dolce. My current preference is the Barbados Plantation, straight, and then the Vanilla Custard. I've been guided by @ghostsofpompeii. Get to know him; he is pipe-wise. 
  • Options
    Although I am currently enjoying my CAO Eileen's Dream I do have a few Sutliff blends on my to buy and try list. Might have to add Peach Cobbler to that list!
  • Options
    My son and I recently attended the TAPS 20th Annual Pipe show in Raleigh.  We left there with about 40 oz of Lane samples.  One of them was their Peaches & Cream.  Although I enjoy it, quite smooth, I still prefer the Peach Cobbler from Sutliff's. 
  • Options

@Wolf41035 Put me down as one who loves the Sutliff blends. Currently my cellar is loaded with 8oz jars of blends like Vanilla Custard, Chocolate Mousse, Maple Walnut, Rum And Maple, Crème Brulee, Frosty Mint, Amaretlo, Coffee, Pumpkin Spice, Christmas Spice, Coconut Almond, Blend 79, and Irish Cream, as well as several tins each of Molto Dolce and Maple Street. A few of my personal private blends are comprised of three or more combinations of Sutliff blends like my Hudson's 221B Bakery Blend - and I have jars of that as well. 

Even though Pipes And Cigars has been something of a 'whipping boy' of late due to delayed deliveries and order SNAFUs I'll sure miss many of those Russ' Monthly Blends slated to be discontinued due to the FDA Deeming Regulations which also take up a good portion of my tobacco cellar - namely blends like Warm-Up (my current all time favorite and desert island blend), Candy Corn, Snow Drift, Cinamon Roll, Ice Cream Sundae, Spring Training, Kaliediscope, Allsorts, and TheTaxman Commeth. I think I have enough Warm Up, Candy Corn and Spring Training to last me through the remainder of the decade. 

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    I hate to tell you, although you probably already know (and I don't want to spoil such a wonderful discussion) but the kooks and nuts in Cale-e-for-ni-eh are planning to ban flavor additives to tobacco. The FDA has been going in this direction but those nuts can't wait. This is what tyranny looks like folks and if you think they are going to stop before they get to what you like forget about it. 

Look back through this thread at what people have written, about the wonderful blends and the enjoyment they get. There is a sickness in this country and it isn't from tobacco smoking.

I believe I'll throw some Sutliff on my next order and smoke it in honor of everyone who enjoys these aromatics.

Thank G-d I'm old.
  • Options
    @bonanzadriver @motie2 - You guys should try Briarworks Peach Cobbler. I'm on my second jar and like it better than the Sutliff. 
  • Options
    @Philip @PappyJoe -- I wonder who is the oldest here. I'm 70.
  • Options
    Wow PappyJoe, Briarworks Peach Cobbler is that good?  I think I will try both but I do trust you. 
    Sutliff is on my list at the top and as soon as I get to head North a few dozen miles that is what I am going for, going to take about $100 and buy as many different blends as I can, small amounts so I can see what I like best. 
    CAO Eileen's Dream is on top of my smoking list right now so I will buy more of that later down the road! 

I am a young pup motie2 coming in at only 51.   lol
  • Options
    Forgot my review yesterday, sorry people I was sitting out on the porch and was just to relaxed to do it, I would do it now but that would be wrong to do it from memory since my memory kind of sucks!
    I will go out and smoke a couple more bowls of Eileen's Dream and do the review while I am smoking it, watch for the review later this evening.....
    Right now going to go out and try some tobacco I got in the mail from a trade. 
  • Options
    @wolf41035 - In my opinion it is.
  • Options
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely pick some up.

On a different Aromatic note...

Had a chance last night to smoke, for the first time, some Vermont Maple Cavendish.  All I can say is HOLY COW !

Absolutely loved this.  It was a gift from a fellow piper I met up in Raleigh a couple of weeks ago at the pipe show.

I will be for sure tracking this one down and stockin up.
  • Options

Just finished a bowl of Russ' Monthly Blend "Candy Corn" and it was delicious.

Here's how it's described on the Pipes And Cigars website: Candy Corn is a sweet, but not too sweet blend of Virginia and Black Cavendish with a subtle vanilla note reminiscent of the traditional autumn treat. Strength: Mild - Medium ... Tobacco: Burley, Cavendish, Virginia ... Style: Aromatic ... Room Note: 3 - balanced

Here are my comments on the blend: Candy Corn is another sweet aromatic concoction from Master Blender Russ Ouellette. Smells fantastic in the pouch, with a sweet creamy taste that damn near matches the pouch note - leaving behind an intoxicating room note which permeates the room like a scented Yankee Candle. The tobacco has a nice consistency ... not too moist ... stays lit and burns to a nice white ash ... and not a bite in the bowl. Taste wise I get less of a vanilla flavor but more of the sweetness associated with honey or caramel blends. But you could see where the name comes from during the retro-hale. I could almost imagine those little tri-colored triangular orange, yellow, and white Halloween candies melting in my mouth while I was smoking.   

• Options
    @PappyJoe I always value your input.
    @Bonanzadriver this thread is great for us Aromatic smokers and that sounds great, might have another to add to my wish list.
    @ghostsofpompeii Nice review, look forward to more of them in this thread....HINT HINT! 

OK Sorry I didn't get my review done yesterday, had a semi bad day and had three new blends to try and didn't get time to do my review on Eileen's Dream, today I am only going to have time for a few bowls and not time to do review while smoking so I will hold off and not smoke anymore Eileen's Dream today......that hurts to say.....Checking the weather and my schedule and it looks like after today I won't be smoking my pipe outside until Monday or Tuesday.  Cold today high of 67 ( I hate cold and that is cold to me), rain Saturday (50) and Sunday (61) plus busy with a few things. 
  • Options
    I can say that Cake day is worth trying, it is unique.
  • Options
    @Wolf41035 -- Ok, unique. But what is it? what's in it? Burley? Virginia? Cavendish? Latakia? Perique? Aromatic or English/Oriental? "flavored"? even burning? bite? 

Help us out. Hearing it from you is better than reading a review at tobaccoreviews.com. (I can't find one named Cake Day in any event.)

And, please, tell us about Eileen's Dream. Descriptions of it I have read, but what's your take? Thanks!!
  • Options
    LOL  I will make some comments Monday, still to cold to smoke for me.  Besides I have Honey Bees to trap out of a tree.
  • Options

Just finished an afternoon bowl of Russ' Monthly Blend "Spring Training" in my Chacom Pipe.

Here is how it's described on the Pipes & Cigars website: "Spring Training" ... and that means baseball, and baseball means snacks while watching the game. One of those favorites is caramel-covered popcorn with glazed peanuts. So my blend has a caramel top note with a nutty undertone. Load-up a bowl and watch the pre-season game. 

Here are my comments on the blend: In the later part of 1968 I found myself employed at the Ovaltine Factory in Villa Park, Illinois, where not only their namesake chocolate drink Ovaltine was produced but a host of other snack food products including the caramel covered popcorn treats Fiddle-Faddle (which was their version of Crackerjacks) and Poppycock (an upscale gourmet variation whereby almonds, pecans and walnuts replaced the cheaper quality peanuts). I held the distinguished title of Popcorn Popper -  essentially tossing a shovelful of raw un-popped corn from a giant trough into a series of revolving ovens that resembled a clothes dryer without doors. The popcorn was air-popped, and unlike the intoxicating aroma of oil popped corn as you enter the lobby of a cinema, air-popped corn can be downright bland. Smelling more of Styrofoam packing peanuts than a box of buttery popcorn. But as the popcorn traveled down the conveyor belt to be merged with either the roasted peanuts for Fiddle Faddle or re-routed to another belt to be mixed with the almonds, pecans and walnuts for Poppycock - the concoction was then smothered in a sweet confection of buttery rich caramel coating. Well ... that's where the real olfactory magic happened. There was nothing quite like the mouth watering aroma of that still warm caramel covered popcorn. Russ' Monthly blend "Spring Break" brought back that aroma which I detected in both the pouch and room note while smoking. For the millions who never worked on the factory floor of the Ovaltine plant I'll describe the aroma in more familiar terms - imagine yourself at a County Fair standing in between the vendor popping up a fresh batch of Kettle Corn and the vendor selling roasted cinnamon almonds. Your nose is experiencing junk food Heaven. And the caramel-corn taste is captured in the flavor of the blend as well. And as always the retro-hale increases that flavor exponentially. Like all the aromatic blends I've tried from the Russ' Monthly Blend series "Spring Break" is a pleasant smoking experience in every way from the easy lit - burns to a nice white ash - no tongue bite - and a great flavor. Sadly another blend slated to be discontinued due to the FDA Deeming Regulations.      

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii you have a certain ZING or POP to your reviews, you bring in real life or history to your reviews and that is just WOW!  Love the review and another Aromatic I now have to add to my wish list, guess I better get going because if no one stops the FDA then no one will be enjoying these fantastic blends for long!  

As for my day.....went to check the Bees we were going to trap and they decided they wanted to leave them in the tree....they decided the bees were doing a good job of pollinating their garden and fruit trees.  Told them to call us in a few weeks after they thought about it, I know these people so offered to set up a hive on their farm.  Guess I won't know what they decide to do for a couple weeks or so....
    Came home got a HOT shower, got a coke and a bowl of peanut stuffed pretzel bites and here I am!  LOL  Going to check messages, go clean on the Falcon bowl a bit and then head off to investigate a private residence for Paranormal activity.  Tired, Sore and just Blah! But no one else knows what to do for a private residential yet so I have to do it.  I taught my members a lot but not everything so before I can retire from doing Paranormal investigations I have to train them all on how to do it all and that includes cleansing.... Get done with that tonight I am going to come home and pass out before my head hits the pillow!
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- Thanks for another insightful and edifying review. Much appreciated....
  • Options
    Not sure I can top or even equal that review but sure will post a review tomorrow or Tuesday, as for today, it is cold and nasty, going to try to stay warm and go over stuff from a paranormal investigation we did last night.
  • Options
    Might do a review today, waiting to see how warm it gets outside.
  • Options
    Crappy again today in Northern NJ.      No pipe.
  • Options
    C'mon Motie, do something about that weather would ya!?!?!  It's leaking out of ya'lls borders and runnin all the way down here.  My shoes are a gettin all wet and everything.  The company smoking lounge is wet, damp and been in the low 50's all morning.  Looks like it's up to a nippy 55 now.

Guess my afternoon lunting aspirations will have to wait until after work and I can make my way up to the mancave.  :)
  • Options
    Company!! I love it.
  • Options

Here's a riddle for you ... "When is an apple not an apple?"

Well if you're expecting some clever response forget it ... my answer is "When it's Sutliff Apple Blend Tobacco."

There are well over a thousand varieties of apples including: Gala, Golden Delicious, Red Delicious, Crab Apple, McIntosh, Jonathan, and Granny Smiths to name a few currently growing in orchards throughout the world, with new species being developed as we speak. As a matter of fact the internet suggest there are 7500 cultivars (some horticultural term pertaining to blossoms) of apple known to exist. Yet with all these variation of apples at their disposal you'd think the blenders at Sutliff might find some suitable concoction to infuse into the tobacco to replicate some semblance of apple flavoring in their Sutliff APPLE Blend. But nada!

Here is how Sutliff Apple Blend is described on the Pipes And Cigars website: This gentle smoking mixture of Burley and toasted black Cavendish is finished with the subtle sweetness of apple. The caramelized toasted Cavendish adds a hint of brown sugar, making the blend a bit more like a baked apple. The tobacco rating is - Strength: Mild ... Tobacco: Burley and Cavendish ... Style: Aromatic ... Room Note: 1-Low

Here are my comments on the blend: The first time I tried this I was somewhat disappointed because I didn't get a hint of apple in either the pouch note, room note, or flavor. I practically burned out my nostrils hoping that during the retro-hale some essence of an apple might reveal itself. But I could have rammed the stem of the pipe into one nostril to inhale while exhaling through the other and it wouldn't have made a bit of difference. For a blend to be called APPLE this proved to be a bust. And because I was so pre-occupied with searching for that apple flavor I failed to notice what a superb smoke this was actually turning out to be. It wasn't until the second bowl that I appreciated the pleasant smoking experience Sutliff Apple provided. It had the wonderfully sweet flavor of brown sugar and a burnt Graham cracker pie crust. And I might concede the slightest hint of singed apple pie filling way back in the distance - but not enough to warrant calling the blend Apple. I got absolutely no tongue bite what-so-ever ... and considering how hard I was working the pipe - puffing like a locomotive - to get at that apple flavor you'd expect my tongue to have suffered third degree burns. The room note was nothing special ... similar to OTC blend like Carter HallVelvet, or Edgeworth Ready Rubbed - pleasant enough to keep non-smokers from complaining - but hardly the aroma of freshly baked apple pies that I was expecting. Not a bad smoke by any means - but once the jar is I won't replace it. Yet my quest for the perfect apple blend continues.

• Options
    Motie,

don't know if we can post pics here, but if we can, I'll find a picture or two of the covered porch area off of our office kitchen.

It's about 15' X15' with a patio table and 6 chairs.  The owners of the company, golfin buddies of mine for 12 or so years, are both cigar smokers, one of em is a new initiate into the briar brotherhood.

We usually step out in the afternoon and have a cigar & or pipe.

I know, I know....  It's a damned tough life, but hey, someone's gotta take one for the team, right?

:)
  • Options
    @bonanzadriver - click on the little green square, above, to insert a picture
  • Options
    @Bonanzadriver -- OK, not "above," but the little green square in the LEAVE A COMMENT area.

Like this:  
    Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 10.29.34 PM