Home General
Options

Aromatic Smoker Only please....

Comments

• Options
    H&H Caramel Apple.....
    aroma in bag is like two week old apples left over from the carnival, packs hard, lights up very easy, aroma burning is like maybe apple wood in a smoker, taste is nothing like caramel or apples more like a stale candy out of a box of mixed candies but no chocolate flavor or the hard candies you find in bowls grand parents leave on the table for a couple months, not saying it is bad but nothing like caramel apple and it is disappointing when they label things wrong! Over all it is a medium to warm smoke with a decent flavor but don't expect to go back to the carnival in your mind while your smoking this!
    I can say both H&H I smoked today did not leave my pipe gurgling or over moist so they have that going for them.
    Hold on I had a hint of old caramel apple smell come from one puff of smoke but still no taste of it.....going to finish this bowl before I send this comment.... second bowl today and about the sixth total from this bag of caramel apple. Now just tasting like a smoker full of wood and food. lol done with this one.
  • Options
    NO reviews today, to cold and raining off and on.   Looks like rest of weekend and all next week is going to be cold and wet as well, guess I either heat the garage, don't smoke or something else.....might just work on some pipes, I have some more wood I could cut up and carve....lol   That or I could stay in and search online for pipe stems.   Need to find a couple good sites that have supplies for building your own pipes.
  • Options
    Robert91Robert91 Newcomer
    For me - my go to aromatic is Lane's 1Q. Generally, while smoking in public (outdoors), the reaction from people is very positive. And I haven't had a negative comment from the female persuasion - up to now.
  • Options

I was also somewhat disappointed to the Hearth And Home Egg Nog - not so much because it taste bad ... it's actually pretty decent. But I don't get a hint of any Egg Nog flavor what-so-ever. And since I bought it as a winter holiday blend it proved to be something of a bust.

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii maybe we should try to add some flavor to the egg nog blend??  I will see what I have, maybe some nutmeg flavoring, some rum tobacco and some vanilla, not sure if they make an egg nog flavor....maybe custard would work? 

• Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
  • Options
    @Wolf41035 and @Hiker007 Whenever I want to sweeten up a blend my go to mixing tobacco is Sutliff Vanilla Custard. I think I may try adding a bit to Egg Nog tonight to see if that helps. And something I'll also help perk it up is a dash of Sutliff Pumpkin Spice.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii that actually sounds good, them two alone would be a great mix but I could see where they would help a lot with the Egg Nog mix. 
    The Trading Post thread is starting to get some attention, I am going to list a few blends on there in a few minutes, need to try some different blends and trade some I don't really like. 
    Also think I need to ream a couple of my pipes including my old Dr Grabow, I am getting a different taste from it now and it is not making my tobacco taste good.
  • Options
    How many of you test a new blend in a different pipe like a corn cob or something other than your normal go to pipe?

How many of you have multiple pipes for different Blends?

Do you use different pipes for normal tobacco blends than you do for Aromatic Blends?

How many pipes would you get if you could afford to buy one for each of your favorite blends?

How many pipes would you have for test pipes and what kind would you use to test new blends? 

What are your favorite type Pipes? Why?

• Options
    @wolf41035
    1. If it's a new blend I know nothing about, I smoke it in a clay pipe or meerschaum.
    2. I don't understand the question. Why have multiple pipes for a blend? Or did you meant multiple pipes for Aromatics, English, Virginias, etc?
    3. I have a few pipes I only smoke heavy latakia blends in. The rest of the pipes are used for everything but I don't have any Aros that are going to ghost the pipe.
    4. One more
    5. See one above. In my opinion a clay is always the best choice for trying new blends because they don't impart any additional flavors or have a cake build-up that will possible affect the flavor. A Meerschaum is a close second.
    6. My favorite type of pipes are the ones designed for smoking tobacco.

• Options

1. I don't have particular pipes for different blends with the exception of an old Dr. Grabow which I used when trying out blends with Latakia.

2. I usually just rotate my pipes and which-ever comes up next is the one I use. Since the majority of my tobacco is sweet aromatics there isn't much of a ghosting problem. If anything - it keeps the pipe smoking sweet.

3. Just the one Dr. Grabow for the occasional English blend I might try such as Captain Black Black Sea. Or when I mix an old English blend I keep in a jar with some aromatic for experimental purposes.

4. To be honest since I have close to 45 pipes already I don't plan on buying another anytime soon. If I acquire another pipe in the near future it will probably be a gift from my wife or kids - or an old pipe in an antique or second hand shop that looks like it needs a new home and somebody to love..

5. Just the one Dr. Grabow.

6. My pipes are like my kids ... it's impossible to pick just one. There are a few I like because of the unique design, a few that are perfect size for carrying around in my pocket, and a few that are old friends I've had for many, many years.   

• Options
    I don't smoke a lot of aromatics, but I do like Captain black regular and gold.
  • Options
    Made a Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Tobacco Blend and tried it yesterday and it was GREAT.
  • Options
    LaneLimited1qTins In a MM cob.
  • Options
    Going to place an order next week for some flavored stock so I can do more mixing.
  • Options
    Before settling on the Sutliff sweet blends, I tried 1-Q, because it's recommended everywhere as the "best selling pipe tobacco" yada, yada, yada. I just don't get the appeal. It has a passable room note, but tasted like I imagine cigarettes taste. Blah.
  • Options

1. Meerschaum

2. I have a few different pipes for aro's- small bowls .

3. For English/Latakia- most of my collection.

4.Burleys- Cobs and Straight stemmed.

5 Cavendish- Meersschaums and full bent briars.

I have 3 pipes for specific blends. All pipes can be changed off from time to time.

Most of my pipes are bent to some degree, most are medium bowls

• Options
    Ira at the Gatlinburlier in Gatlinburg, Tn has the Cades Cove Cavendish which is a
    Bright & Dark Cavendish, lightly sweet, with a cookie - like aroma. Our best seller for more than thirty years.It is my yearly treat when my wife and I go on our anniversary. We got married in Cades Cove ironically.
  • Options
    @Bmtucker6, oh that sounds nice, I haven't been out of State in years but if I ever get to go somewhere again Tennessee and Florida are on the top of my list.  If I get to go to Tennessee I will have to look for that blend. 
  • Options
    So guys and Gals, should we start doing a What aromatic are you smoking today in this thread?
  • Options
    One day it's warm out; next day it's quite a bit colder. No pipe today.
  • Options
    @motie2 That sucks, it is going to be almost 80 today where I am at, going to get off here and spend most of the day outside and most likely sit on front porch this evening and smoke one of my pipes but this afternoon I plan on sitting on the back deck by the Koi pond and enjoy my pipe while feeding the fish and later I will be in the greenhouse cleaning out the water bed and will smoke in there as well, looking at 3-4 times today to catch up on the cold days I couldn't smoke my pipe or my cigars.  lol

• Options
    Well I finally got my CAO Eileen's Dream today from CI, funny they never answered any of my complaints and they didn't send both items I ordered but they finally sent this and removed all the complaints. Hope they didn't charge my card for the full order because I didn't get my go Braugh and that was supposed to be a two for one. Maybe they sent this for free?? lol. I have no cards on file anymore and the gift card I used to fill my gas tank when the card company put the money back on it.
    On another note the CAO Eileen's Dream is great!
  • Options
    @Wolf41035 I also enjoy Eileen's Dream as well as two other CAO blends "Black" and "Moontrance" - both of which are of a fruity nature. I'm usually on the fence about fruity aromatics so I can't give a full-throated recommendation for either - but if you enjoy an aromatic with a hint of raspberry mixed in with vanilla and cocoa then give "Black" a try. And "Moontrance" has a more pronounced fruit flavor even though bourbon and vanilla extracts are said to be included in the blend. They have a blend called "Bella Vanilla" but I'll stick with my Sutliff Vanilla Custard when I want a straight vanilla flavor. And I've heard good things about their cherry flavored blend "Cherrybomb" ... but I'm not a big fan of cherry flavored tobaccos even though Middleton Cherry Blend was the first tobacco I ever smoked.
  • Options
    I need to get a few Vanilla flavored blends, both that you listed sound good, might have to look them up and get some.  I am not a big fan of fruit flavors or chocolate but as for the CAO Eileen's Dream with white chocolate it is a good blend, might just have to expand and try another chocolate blend or two.  Don't think I want to try any fruit blends but to be fare I guess I should try one before I say no all together.....
  • Options
    @Wolf41035 -- Hearken unto @ghaostsofpompeei. The man knows of what he speaks. He suggested Sutliff Vanilla Custard, I tried it, and it has joined Barbados Plantation, becoming my second favorite blend.... for  the nonce.
  • Options
    @motie2 and @ghostsofpompeii Looks like next time I go into town I will have to see if they have any Sutliff Vanilla Custard or if they can order some for me, that or I will find a place online to buy it from......Just don't want to use C. I. because they still have not fixed my order or at least apologized. 
  • Options
    @Wolf41035, my friend, 

If you are determined to no longer patronize CI (aka P&C), I'd heartily recommend Smokingpipes.com

Here are links to their Sutliff offerings, tinned (Molto Dolce, Barbados Plantation, Maple Street and other sweet tobaccos flavored with raspberries and peaches) and bulk (Vanilla Custard, Creme Brulee, and too many others to mention.)

You might want to check out the knowledgeable reviews at http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search
  • Options
    @motie2. Thank you, will be going to check the links out tomorrow.
  • Options
    Was looking over the blends on Smokingpipes.com and I will be placing a few orders soon, I already have an account with them I guess I just forgot about it because I never placed an order and I don't get a catalog from them.  Going to change that this week!