Home Tobacco Talk
Options

What are you guys smoking right Now?

Comments

• Options

I've just finished smoking a bowl of 40 year old Niemeyer Irish Aromatic gifted to me by my friend @Woodsman Frank. And smoked it in a Custom-Bilt Bull Moose manufactured sometime between 1938 - 1946. Talk about nostalgia!

@Woodsman the tobacco was a real treat. First time I enjoyed a tobacco that taste like tobacco and not a candy coated treat I normally smoke. I'm usually put off by non-aromatics, and believed I disliked the grassy, hay, or leather taste of tobacco - which is why I preferred heavily cased flavored aromatics. But this was smooth and bite free, no off-putting barnyard smells. So what exactly was I tasting? Unlike American aromatics, this Irish Aromatic had no distinctive topping. None of the vanilla, chocolate, maple, caramel, or alcoholic flavors I'm accustom to. So I guess what I've just experienced is the natural flavor of quality aged tobacco. Almost feel like a grow-up. After two days of re-hydrating it the tobacco sprang back to life and feels as fresh as the day it was packed. As this comes in a 3/4 oz. tin I'll have to use this sparingly for special occasions. This just might prompt me to try to seek out some of the Peterson Irish aromatics I've seen offered but were afraid to try for fear they'd be too strong or not to my liking. Because I am somewhat of a lightweight I did feel a bit of a nic-hit as I neared the bottom of the bowl. But nothing to put me off. Great after dinner smoke.        

• Options
    @motie2 I did indeed come across the Holger Danske Mild Orange in my search for the unobtainable Rattrays. I think I told @pwkarch that I'd try it and let him know about it and I did a short review of it about a month back. It is a good mild aromatic that has a light orange flavor down to almost the end. Right out of the can it's ready to smoke. the tobacco is a medium coarse shred of medium to light brown with yellow leaf in it. Good, rich smoke that stays lit and I wasn't able to get a bite out of it but, hard puffing loses the Orange. SWMBO says she found the room note peasant and much preferred it to my usual English Blends (The smoking of which requires the opening of windows on the unheated porch,). This is a definite tobacco with an Orange overtone, not heavy sweetened. I like it and have ordered more tins for the cellar.
  • Options
    Frog Morton in a bent Gasparini.
  • Options
    Enjoying a bowl of Orlik Golden Sliced in my Ben Wade Canadian. Trying to enjoy my pipes while I can, before I spend some time with relatives and put my pipes aside for a week.
  • Options
    @Woodsman

The Holger Danske Original Mile Orange is available @ Smoking Pipes........GREAT call, I am going to try some just for giggles

• Options

Solani Aged Burley Flake, in a Lane Era Charatan pencil shanked Dublin, weighing in at 31 grams..........

• Options
    @xDutchx

THAT is one gorgeous pipe there......looks like a really deep bowl
  • Options
    @xDutchx At what point does a long shanked pipe become a Canadian. I may be listed as a Master but I'm far from it when it comes to the names and shapes of pipes ... but I would have assumed from the length of the shank that the pipe might have been considered a Canadian.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- The Canadian pipe shape has a long oval shaped shank or stummel with a billiard bowl and a tapered bit. The canadian's shank will be about twice as long as the height of the bowl. Round shank variations are called lovats and liverpools. There is also a variation with a oval shank called a lumberman.

• Options
    Lane Crown Achievement in an Unknown Author.
  • Options
    @Woodsman I have about a 8 oz jar of what was said to be crown achievement and have never set fire to it does yours have a almost overly sweet smell. As for what I am smoking now I believe I will load a bowl of some golden slices in my wally frank bulldog
  • Options
    Crown Achievement is more of a mild Balkan/English, deep pleasing aroma; nice, rich smoke.
  • Options
    @Corey562 ; English blends often smell very sweet but, when smoked are are not really too sweet and their room note (According to SWMBO) isn't pleasant.
  • Options

You guys are trying to bankrupt me and I don't have much money to begin with. I had to order the Molto Dolce to see what all the fuss is about. I have also starting making a list of previously never smoked blends based on all these reviews you fellow pipers are giving.

Are you sure you guys aren't working for P&C on the side?... :)

• Options
    Just lit up some Old Dublin in my old Castello Dublin.
  • Options
  • Options
    Just finished a small tin of 1950 John Middleton's Walnut Blend in my 1950 John Middleton Grecian bulldog pipe.  I remember the pleasant room note from when my father first smoked this blend.  I was lucky to find an unopened John Middleton's Pipe Smoker's Kit that contains a small sample tin of Walnut, Middleton 5, Regimental, and a Grecian bulldog pipe in a flannel pipe sock. 

The tobacco was a little dry but smoked quite well and the pipe also smokes well.   
  • Options
    Distinguished Gentleman in a Statesman billiard.
  • Options
    @pwkarch, the pics are somewhat deceiving, which is why I pay close attention to pipe weight in online listings. Also, since I rarely fill my pipes over 3/4 full, this V shaped narrow bowled pipe is perfect for flake tobaccos. I actually prefer lightweight thin walled pipes, because they force me to pay attention to pipe temperature, and f
  • Options
    Mrs. Hudson’s in my Bing’s Favorite. 
  • Options
    @jfreedy -- Just now, I was going to pack a bowl of BP/SR 50/50, but your post has moved me to open the Ball jar of Mrs. Hudson's.... Thank you.
  • Options
    Just tried Sutliff Irish Cream,no opinion on this blend yet.Also tried Sutliff Pumpkin Spice and liked it.Used one of my Baraccini pipes.
  • Options
    Corncob Pipe and a Button Nose in a MM Diplomat when drinking a Caramel Cappuccino laced with dark rum. 
  • Options
  • Options

Crap, only half of my post made it to the thread.

@ghostsofpompeii, motie is correct, and I might add a couple more points. The Canadian is basically a billiard, with a long oval shaped shank. The design for the longer oval shaped shank was intended to allow loggers to slide their pipes down into the tops of their logging boots.

Most pipe shapes, are a variation of one of the basic shapes. For instance, a brandy is simply a billiard with a fat bottom. Taking it a step further, a volcano is a billiard with an even fatter bottom. Personally I have always been a fan of fat bottoms, but the situation can reach a point, where form doesn't follow function anymore.

• Options
    1999 stirlingshire to start the day.
  • Options
    HH VS in my Brandt apple.
  • Options
    @Corey562 Nice pic and a great looking pipe to go along with your selection. Is that a thermos of coffee to the left I'm spotting?
  • Options
    Why yes it is.
  • Options
    Some dunhill ready rub in a craggy pipe whos name was worn off long ago.