Home Tobacco Talk
Options

What are you guys smoking right Now?

Comments

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    White Knight in an EA Carey rusticated volcano.
  • Options
    AceFourAceFour Master
    Finishing off the bag of Burley Morning in the Cristiano
  • Options
    Winding down with GH DVC in an MM Pride and Vermouth Rosso cut with sparkling water after a busy day.
  • Options
    I had posted this pipe some time ago in a different discussion. Bought it at an antique mall in the 90's, but never smoked it. Last month I replaced two O-rings and cleaned it up. I loaded it yesterday with "Scotty's College Professor" and soon realized why it isn't in wide use. The Briar Bowl got very hot as did every aluminium part of the pipe. Even if it didn't get hot, it is very uncomfortable to handle(lit or not). I admit that the smoke wasn't hot at all. I assume that the aluminium absorbs all the heat. Its a gimmick pipe in my view. It is the only Kirsten that I've ever smoked, so maybe some shapes are better that others. Love to hear other opinions.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    @opipeman
    I have several Kirsten’s, they smoke well for me.  They don’t get hot, slightly warm maybe.  I have quite a few different models of different mfg. dates, all of them smoke ok.  They are kind of nasty to clean though.  The one you have is awesome, the only thing that would make it better is if it had a smooth bowl😉.  Your’s has a nice sandblast and finish.  I have one with the same bowl angle and stem bend, but it does not have the little foot, only a pointed cap.  It is one of the earlier models.
  • Options
    @opipeman
    Kirsten is definitely not a "gimmick" pipe. Some would even argue that it is the first metal pipe brand as it was in production in the 1936 and was produced during WWII. (Falcon pipes were also invented in 1936 but didn't go into full production until 1949/1950) 

Interestingly, the Kirsten was invented by Professor Frederick K. Kirsten while he was working for Boeing. Kirsten was instrumental in the building of the aeronautic wind tunnel at the University of Washington in 1936. The wind tunnel is still in used today I believe.  The Falcon was patented in 1936 by the American engineer Kenly Bugg in Chicago (I think). It was produced in the U.S. until the 1964. Production had started in England in 1961. The current Falcon pipe model was introduced around 1977. 

I have a Kirsten from the 1950s that is considered a "
    transition pipe." It was produced with the rubber o-rings but without the metal cup that the bowl now sits in. Maybe it's because its older, but I've never noticed the aluminum getting that hot while smoking it. The bowls I have only get slightly warmer than some of the cheaper briar pipes I own but I think that is due to the wall thickness.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar, @PappyJoe;
    Thanks for the information on it's history. I have several Falcon pipes and extra bowls, and we get along well. Allow me to rephrase the "Hot" expression, maybe very warm is a better way to say it. If "gimmick" isn't accurate, would you go for the "Edsel" of Kirsten pipes. We all have different tastes in pipes and tobaccos, let me just say I'm not a fan of this model Kirsten, which is the only Kirsten I've ever tried.Too each his own!
  • Options
    @opipeman
    Every brand has it's less than perfect model or lemon. 
    I don't own a Kirsten like you pictured so there may be something in the design that causes it to get hotter than the straight Kirsten I own. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe;
    Brother Joe, I appreciate your comments!
  • Options
    AceFourAceFour Master
    Smoking Dix in Short Devil Anse Molina
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    <heh heh.....giggle>
  • Options
    Having a late Early Morning Pipe in a dedicated MM Diplomat. The wife took care of the birds this morning while I snored away!
  • Options
    ich4759ich4759 Master

I had already placed an order for Commodore Flake and some Red, thanks for the post though.  Do you have opinions on either?
    -Ian

• Options
    Vanilla Custard today in Stanwell, does it seem like everyone is out of VBC? By everyone I mean P&C and Tobaccopipes?
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @buflosab

Despair……. VBC is foundational. 
  • Options
    @AceFour
    I almost bought an Imprezza but it felt too low to the ground for my self-comfort. I bought a Forester instead. Love the gas mileage.
  • Options
    @AceFour I'm really hit or miss smoking Virginias, my technique needs more help. Was my first experience with a cake.  
  • Options
    AceFourAceFour Master
    @Beetleman what I tell folks trying to smoke Virginia's is to sip it like sipping a straw where you pull the liquid up but don't get it in your mouth.  When Virginia hits the right burn temp it is magical.
  • Options
    Mixed up more of the BP& Egg Nog.
  • Options
    AceFourAceFour Master
    Smoking Dix in the Molina