Home Tobacco Talk
Options

What are you guys smoking right Now?

Comments

• Options
    Starting a peaceful morning with some GLP Quiet Nights in a Carey Freehand.
  • Options
    Amphora Regular in a Falcon.
  • Options
    Some Hunting Creek in my new to me Medico Windsor I just picked up from an antique store for a dollar. Great smoking little pipe. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2019
    Northern NJ has been alternating heatwaves and torrential thunderstorms.
    Plays hell with my desire to smoke a bowl as SWMBO insists it be outdoors.
    At least the withering heat broke; it's a pleasant 70 degrees.
    Air con is off and the windows are open.
    But it's lightly raining, and has been for a while...... :(

• Options
    @motie2

Same down here in New Germanys' "Dixie" (so to speak). I know everyone says the same thing (even though no one here on earth can do anything about it including Mark Twain), but this has been a horrible summer. In all my years I do not remember the thunderstorms with damage, and the constant heat and humidity, and the multiple tornados we have had. I am in a similar situation in that I too am an "outside" smoker by edict from my "kitchen commander". Last night (one day after you know what) I had to drag myself to my twin Grandsons' football scrimmage, then race down to another town to watch my Son in his "over 35" county baseball league. And both of those were after watching my oldest Grandson at his baseball training camp in the morning. I was dying in the heat and humidity. HOWEVER, I had a wonderful bowl of Carter Hall in my Royal Danish "989" which is becoming a favorite pipe at my Sons' game (no kids around, and no one cares). This morning 'seems" to be cooler, and the humidity is decreasing, and I am looking forward to what could be a decent weekend to burn some tobacco. Come on Fall.
  • Options
    Cleansing my latakia palate today with some Mac Baren Navy Flake. 
  • Options
    Wild Atlantic by Peterson in a Ferndown billard
  • Options
    Finishing a bowl of Almost Heaven from King Street Emporium. The temperature is down to 62 degrees after the rain went through. It's a real change from the 90s we've been having. I'm glad that I'm not the only one that thinks autumn is the prime smoking season.  ;)
  • Options
    Popped open my new tin of GLP's Jack Knife Plug and loaded some in my Stanwell Liverpool pipe. Immediately transferred the rest into a mason jar to protect it from the reach of the mold monster. Let's see if it works.

• Options
    EA Carey Revolution Tabac. I buried a repurposed barrel stave cube from a tin of FMC in a jar of Revolution about a week ago. I had soaked the former whiskey infused cube in rum for several days.

Marvelous.
  • Options
    Middleton's Walnut in a MM Carolina Gent.
  • Options
    mapletopmapletop Master
    edited August 2019
    @thebadgerpiper I noted your post on the Jack Knife Plug regarding mold and to be honest I don't think putting it in a jar  will make any difference.
    I was hit by the mold monster on a new can of Jack Knife plug and noted that the mold had grown out of one  particular layer of the plug in three different  locations.
    The problem appears to be endemic of this type of plug (not hot pressed or cooked) where the moisture level is kept higher to promote fermentation.
    My short term solution was to cut off a 1/16th slice on all six sides, cleaning the knife after each slice and then cut up the remaining plug leaving it to dry for and hour before jarring it..
    Jack knife plug is not a tobacco that I will ever cellar, however since it is now sold as ready rubbed that may be a different story.
  • Options
    @mfresa sorry for the delay, I was out of town lunting and hunting Musky this week so I only saw your request for a picture of the Pol Winslow pick ax this evening.
    Have to say this pipe was the most difficult pipe to get a good picture, my ancient camera probably doesn't help either.

• Options
    @mapletop, thanks, it's beautiful!!
  • Options
    I would like to note to all you TPL members who may be in the market for another pipe (when are we not), that the dollar is very strong against all currency's  these days.
    That said, there are some pretty good deals to be had from European sellers
    Cheers
  • Options
    pwkarchpwkarch Master
    edited August 2019
    A mixture of Sutliff Chocolate Mousse and Carter Hall left over from last night, mixed again 50 / 50 with Nording Hunter Labrador. This Nording blend is long gone into history, but I was lucky enough to be smart enough to have stored about 8 tins before it became history. I still hope and pray that some other blender will bring this back to market.

• Options
    Sutliff Panna Cotta mixed 50/50 with Barbados Plantation; heavy vanilla and rum!
  • Options
    Smoking some PS Luxury English in my new S&M Briars I got at the MASPC show.
  • Options
    Decided to give Lane 1-Q another shot, I didn’t think it was that great the first time I tried it, I’ve decided to look at it in a different light, it is a good morning blend for me not to heavy, plus it is a good mixing blend. While I like tasty aromatic blends, for some reason I like a not so tasty blend in the morning hours.
  • Options
    I'm enjoying the cool evening some 221B Baker Street from King Street Emporium on my straight Roma. 

I'm not sure what shape you call this. I bought it because it wasn't any traditional shape and it still was appealing. The latakia is working well on this cool evening. 
  • Options
    I just don't think 1Q is worth taking about. Lane talks like it's the best blend ever and it so popular and all. Didn't care for it at all. Very boring.
  • Options
    @Londy3 - I totally agree. For such a widely lauded blend, I found it one dimensional and lacking in anything that would cause me to buy it again.

Nice tin design, though. 😜
  • Options
    @motie2 packaging is important.  But I'll never buy it again. 
  • Options
    DanfriedmanDanfriedman Master
    edited August 2019
    @Londy3 and @motie2 I respectfully agree and disagree with both of you. After almost 30 years of enjoying a large number of blends from many blenders, I find 1Q to be quite unremarkable. I do not choose to smoke 1Q.  I personally like more complexity and taste in the blends I use. I do feel 1Q is an important part of the pipe tobacco blend market. 1Q has been a low strength, mild-tasting, tobacco with a pleasant room note for years. It provides a wonderful introduction to the pipe hobby for millions of people who want a mild aromatic smoke that is tongue bite safe and smells great to non-pippers. I personally feel it is not in our best interest to besmirch the good name of 1Q as it is what many new and established members of this forum are smoking and enjoying as they continue there personal journey of blend exploration.  
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2019
    "De gustibus non disputandum est," y'all.

And, in any event, there are several "starter/newbie" blends that one might well recommend before the ever popular 1-Q.

• Options

Smoking a bowl of Sleepy Creek – A mild base of Cavendish with an even amount of cherry and vanilla flavoring in my '96 Boswell while running around the back yard looking for a cell signal. It's on of the joys of country living.  :) 

The cherry vanilla doesn't hide the taste of the tobacco. It enhances it. This stuff is pretty forgiving of technique and so far hasn't bit. This is worth a second bowl in one sitting and that is what I'm doing now. 
  • Options

That there is a red Cabernet with bourbon in a smoked filled glass with my trusty cob and in it, some LL7!
  • Options
    Tell us more about ".... a red Cabernet and bourbon"???   Howzat?
  • Options
    @motie2 well...this was a little experiment I did some time back. The goal was to improve the taste and aroma of inexpensive red wine. Since I like dry wine and all things oak, add a couple tablespoons of bourbon 🥃 in a wine glass, swirl, then add red wine🍷  

"Poof" a much improved red wine that tastes like it aged longer.

For more fun, pack your favorite pipe with a good Tobacco. I chose LL7 because I pairs great with oak flavor in both bourbon and red wine. 

Next, light your pipe and get a good mouthful of smoke. Gently blow the smoke in the glass, quickly cover. Let the smoke mix with the wine for a few min.

Puff your pipe now.

Keep puffing....

Remove cover and enjoy your smokey mountain double oaked wine🍷 with your pipe.