Home The Lounge
Options

The World We Live In

Comments

• Options
    vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited August 2021
    @Balisong
    You are very welcome! By the way, all researchers say that their results imply more research is needed, LOL...we all do it, including myself because it sets the stage for a subsequent paper in the same area--we sometimes call that "seeding the next paper". 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2021
    I’m definitely not a scientist. But I am somewhat informed concerning belief.

Belief has nothing to do with science. Science is science whether one believes in it or not.

“Bad” science is not science, unless, of course, one puts stock in alternative facts.

And, respectfully, becuse you are a respected scientist, even if you must say so yourself, bragging is unseemly.

But you are certainly entitled to your opinion. :) And if you keep practicing you’ll get better at it.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    LOL, I'm not bragging, but when someone (like you) says in the public domain that I'm a science denier, then I must 'flash my credentials' to set the heathen straight!!!  :D
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2021
    The word “denier” does not appear in any of my recent posts.
    I asked, “ Tell us how you really feel about science denial.”
    i presumed you were inferring that I was denying your science.
    Where did anyone say you were/are a science denier?
    Just askin’, because you appear to be a sport and are fun to play with…..
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2021
    Also, “heathen?”  <giggle>

From a certain POV, that’s the pot calling the kettle “kettle.”

• Options
    LOL, that's a good one!  :D
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    @motie2

I just saw this post "The word “denier” does not appear in any of my recent posts.
    I asked, “ Tell us how you really feel about science denial.”
    i presumed you were inferring that I was denying your science.
    Where did anyone say you were/are a science denier?
    Just askin’, because you appear to be a sport and are fun to play with….."

And I profusely apologize if I misinterpreted your original post. That said, I was not at all saying you were denying my science...you were just believing in a different science than I was, so to speak. To me, science denial is someone that won't go to the doctor for some obvious ailment that can be fixed, but won't, because they think all doctors are bad. Or someone that won't get vaccinated because they have been convinced that vaccinations are bad with only scarce anecdotal evidence to support their claim. To me, Facebook is one of the worst places to gain knowledge of anything, unfortunately, that's where most people get their knowledge from these days. 

Should we question science? My god...YES...ALWAYS! Scientists are like that old joke about MD's...

What is a medical student graduating in the top of their class called? A doctor. 
    What is a medical student graduating in the bottom of their class called? A doctor. 

Same thing applies to scientists.
  • Options
    I agree that there is good science and bad science. 
  • Options
    “Bad science” is not science; snake oil is not medicine.

For “snake oil” substitute the miracle cure de jour.

• Options
    So does this mean I have wasted years perfecting my phrenological studies?!?!? And I was on the cusp of discovering what cranial abnormalities contribute to ones predisposition to pipe smoking!!! 
  • Options
    @Zouave You'll likely find that all pipe smokers have the same bumps on their head as Jack the Ripper. 
  • Options
    i’ve had six excised, and, unfortunately, passed the condition on to my eldest.
  • Options
    @motie2,  the image you posted reminded me of Magritte's "This is not a Pipe" and the graphic a teaching aid for Einstein's relativity now that train windows don't open.

@vtgrad2003 I read the City Journal article which elaborates on the CDC piece. The first article for the pro mask ideology cited the drop in the positivity rate after the imposition of mask mandates. So if masks to do not prevent the spread of the virus but mandates to wear them do, should we assume that people need a visual reminder that there exists an unseen highly contagious virus? 

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Given how many anti-maskers are going around armed and willing to harass and kill others, I'm surprised that there hasn't been any news about any of them warning the OR surgical team that if they wear masks in the operating room during their surgery, they will come back and shoot them all.
    "Alternative Facts" have been and always will be identified as Outright Lies.  
    Let the Anti-Vaxxers and Anti-Maskers just die off from the diseases they choose not to believe in (which they are currently doing in droves in TX and FL). They have self-selected for a very Darwinian solution. Their act of removing themselves from the Human gene pool is beneficial to our species. Their departure from the American body politic should save us from the New Dark Ages of the delusional fantasy world they want to drag us into. 
    As Robert A. Heinlein noted in more than one of his novels, when "Duty" and "Responsibility" and "Honor" become jokes in a country's culture, it's time to get out, because that country will not be around much longer.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    @Balisong
    Well, first, you have to remember that correlation isn't causation, however, you can certainly do what you want to do, i.e., wear a mask all you want...I'm not against that at all, it's your choice. But, we have regular bouts with the flu, colds, pneumonia, gonorrhea, herpes, etc., and no one gets worked up about those, so I don't quite see your point. As I've alluded to several times so far, I'm not anti-mask, I just prefer to not get worked up about it and group-think myself into a never ending paranoia about airborne disease. Anyway, its all good, I was just challenged by someone to show studies on the ineffectiveness of mask usage...and I believe I did that quite well  :)

@AnantaAndroscoggin
    Sorry, it's hard to even respond to that given my rather benign position on the topic. By the way, have you seen what just happened in CA? Seems like Antifa agrees with your position...

• Options
    Just finished reading all these posts, and I'm exhausted!...😴
  • Options
    I hate wearing a mask but I do when I go into a store. I have also been vaccinated. I understand why some people are hesitant because the vaccine hasn't undergone the rigorous testing other vaccines have. What boggles my mind is that mandatory vaccinations have been the rule for decades. I remember in the late 1950s having to get vaccinated for measles, mumps, rubella, polio and diphtheria before being allowed to attend school. And, since I had a brother die from diptheria in the early 1950s, I'm not open to those who say vaccines cannot prevent disease. 

The other reason I will wear a mask is because every November and December I portray Santa and see hundreds (maybe over a thousand) of children in a six week period. If the rules say I have to wear a mask and practice social distancing to do that, I'm okay with it. I do it to give the parents a little piece of mind during a stressful season. 

Here's another thing. I have a sister and brother-in-law that are anti-covid vaccine because they believe its a government plot. (Seriously). Both of them and two of their family members were hit hard by Covid in July. It was touch and go for them and they are still suffering the after effects. No one I know who has been vaccinated for Covid have gotten the virus. That's anecdotal I know, but It has been our experience.
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003 good to know thanks. 
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited August 2021
    I think the world has gone mad. Completely off the deep end and out of control. 

Things are about to get real in a very ugly way.  

Response from someone not wearing a mask:
    https://youtu.be/wiatGZEEdqo

• Options
    @Londy3 That video is not from a US source, ".com.au"

@vtgrad2003
    Causation was a fallacy identified by Aristotle. The Greek translated into Latin then into English is "after therefore because of." Kant wrote a very long piece about the lack of provabilty of cause and effect arguments. I merely made a speculation that was meant to be tongue in cheek.

Lumping Covid into other virral outbreaks minimizes the severity of the pandemic. It was the third leading cause of death in the country last year behind heart disease and cancer. This week a field hospital was reopened and a children's ICU is filled to capacity. Both my wife and I are vaccinated and unless it's posted I will not dawn a mask. I agree with @AnantaAndroscoggin that's it's a survival of the fittest time where "fittest" means smart enough to get vaccinated! 
  • Options
    @Balisong
    so what? It's still about covid
  • Options
    Politafact for fact checking? why not use the New York Times. Did you watch the video, did you understand what he said, and if you didn't, did you make any effort to enlighten yourself?
    Critical thinking is just that, decide for your self, do the due diligence.
    That is the problem today, people trusting others to decide what is true and what is not.
  • Options
    @mapletop I couldn't have said it better...kudos! 
  • Options
    It's official: Q says the sky is falling!!!!! 
    Run for your lives.

• Options
    That's Q...Anon, sir! LOL  Of course, BLM says all white people, Asians and Jews, are racists...my god, lol, all you can do is shake your head.
  • Options
    Silly.

Q...Anon is a bunch of folks. Only Q himself knows what's really going on.....
  • Options
    Ahh, I learn something new every day!  B)
  • Options
    The Babylon Bee is oftimes humorous, but it’s hardly a reliable source.

But you knew that.