The World We Live In

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2021
    They keep claiming that winners write the histories,
    Yet this time's losers try to re-write the game,
    As they try to eliminate most of our common history,
    They forget that there are millions of diarists and journallers,
    Recording their own parts in what has happened among us.
  • Options
    @opipeman

You are correct, sir. My wife is a member of the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution). One of the many constructive activities the DAR engages in is the cleaning, restoration and preservation of graveyards where Revolutionary War soldiers are buried. The sheer number of people, both DAR and non-DAR affiliated, that volunteer to do this is amazing. My wife and I personally have a graveyard we tend to in the valleys near Bland VA where several of her relatives that served in the RW are buried. My wife and I only maintain it now, but when we initially cleaned it because it was overgrown with briars 8 ft tall with 3 inch thorns, we had people helping that were from OH, VA, WV, and NC, none of them related to my wife's family. So, there really is a very large "silent" population of people that desperately want to preserve and honor our history--we just need to breed more of these people.  
  • Options
    Some of my family consider the DAR to be Janie-Come-Lately folk, as we were here well before the King Phillip's War.
  • Options
    @AnantaAndroscoggin

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about...what does that have to do with the DAR?
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003;
    You and your wife are doing a good thing!! I believe the knuckleheads will fade, their position is built on sand.
  • Options
    Well, if you have read any Marx then you know exactly what happening.
  • Options
    I live in Gary, Indiana - once called the Murder Capital of America. And even though we no longer hold that distinction we're still considered a pretty lousy place to live. But as bad as Gary is ... we are still expected to pay for items we buy in the store - unlike parts of California where you can shoplift up to $999.00 of merchandise without being detained or arrested. Here in Gary we will get arrested for public indecency like urinating or defecating in public. And our junkies are not provided with fresh needles. So compared to parts of California, Gary, Indiana is a vacation paradise. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @ghostsofpompeii

Welcome back. Your voice was missed. Sounds like you are having a bad day……
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    @motie2
    If it seems he's having a bad day, it's because weather and mosquitoes are keeping @ghostsofpompeii from his pipes and tobaccos...😏
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited July 2021
    @vtgrad2003
    Actually, we need to stop being silent, the silent majority. That is why we are where we are right now. 

• Options
    An opinion piece that harks back to what I said earlier in this thread...i.e., polarization and/or social upheaval have happened on a regular basis for a long long time; what we are going through now is nothing new and we'll cycle out of it as the narrative becomes tiresome, then about 30 years from now, we'll go through it again.  https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/david-shribman/2021/07/25/David-M-Shribman-History-is-full-of-Americans-hating-each-other/stories/202107250033
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003;
    I think your insight is correct. In thirty years I'll regale everyone about how it was way back in 21. I hope you will help remind me if I forget anything.
  • Options
    @opipeman
    If I live to be 84, I certainly will... 
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Good insight. Thanks
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003;
    If you live to be 84, you'll still be a kid. By then, I'll be 107.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited July 2021
    Ageist rhetoric? 

For decades, folks have told me to "grow up." 

At 74. I see absolutely no value in "growing up."
    It usually means , "Stop growing...."

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Riveting television this morning, neh?
  • Options
    I never had kids so there was no need to become an adult 🤗
  • Options
    vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited August 2021
    @thebadgerpiper Good luck! (I mean that sincerely.)

But, I would highly recommend that you DO NOT pay for his college education, make him pay his own way--and this isn't coming from a university professor that teaches these students every day, but as an economist. And it's not about him appreciating it more (although they do), but you only have so much time to save for retirement, he'll have upwards of 45 or 50 years to do that.

I've consulted a ton of couples over the years, and it is simply a fact that children no longer 'take care of their parents' like they used to. Paying for college was always the sort of last ditch attempt by parents to make sure their children return the favor when they get old...no longer does it work like that (on average anyway). Also, don't let him major in creative writing unless he is also double majoring in something marketable (like economics maybe? LOL).

Sorry to give you unsolicited advice, LOL, but I have seen couple after couple spend all their lives to pay back their kids college education (either paying back loans they took out or simply in the lost opportunity cost of using money can could have been invested) all to find that their kids put them in the cheapest retirement home they could find when its all over. I paid for my own college education (BA, MA, PhD), and trust me, if done correctly, and frugally, the student really doesn't need to go hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt like you see in the news, in fact, the debt is rather modest when it is all over.  
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper

Dude, do not feel like the Lone Ranger.
    SWMBO and I waited seven years to have our first.
    Vietnam, Nixon, Kent State, Watergate, Civil unrest, Q.E.D.
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003;
    Ah, kids and dogs, I wish I had a hundred of them.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper;
    Your post of August 5 is spot on. Looking back on raising my kids(daughter 54 & son 49), I made a lot of mistakes. The biggest was, I wasn't around much, sometimes working as many as three jobs. Too bad they don't come with instructions. My bride shouldered most of the load.  At times they tried my patience, frustrated me, tested me, just totally baffled me or thoroughly pissed me off. There have been times I've thought that if I had drowned them in the bathtub when they were small, I'd be out of prison and over the guilt by now. Then came the births of our three grand daughters and each time it was like falling in love all over again. Kids are the future, whether or not they take care of us in our old age or not. If they become honest responsible adults, they owe me not.
  • Options
    Good stuff guys. Thanks for posting.

These are such times that make me not want to leave the house as i am no longer part of this society. This is not the world I used to enjoy. This is not the country I grew up in and it's definitely not the country I want to live in if this new direction takes hold.  As illegal as most of this is, it just sickens me.  What makes me more angry is how The People allow them to get away with all of this. 
  • Options
    @Londy3 You have to leave the house if not for anything else, than to connect with someone in passing. You'd be amazed at how just a few well placed words to someone young that you don't even know can set them on a completely different path. I teach probably 450 college students every year and have produced probably 200 YouTube lecture videos. In each venue I'm nearly always injecting subtle counter arguments to hot topics such as the minimum wage, command economies versus capitalism, free versus fair trade (which touches on one of my fields of research), private property rights, etc. I'm perhaps only one of a handful of conservative academics at my university and the number of students that come up to me and are excited to hear that someone else (who is much older) thinks like they do is very rewarding...and making a difference, albeit one individual at a time. It's not like you have to be out there with a bullhorn, but there is a place in this world for "mature" wisdom, and there are a lot of younger people searching for folks like us because no one around them thinks the same way they do. 
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003
    I too am a former professor at a university in Denver Co. I used to do the same thing with my students. I like to think I made an impact as well. I was top 5% of 1500 instructors nationwide with highest ranking of student attendance. I'd would do it again if an opportunity presented itself. 
  • Options
    vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited August 2021
    For sure, but students are one thing, they are a captive audience (to some extent); the same impact can be made to someone packing your groceries, mowing your yard, etc...influence doesn't stop at the university entrance. 
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003
    Oh I get it. I've been kind of on a different mission. Getting people to actually act and not just continue to be silent. That is why we are in the position we are in.  The silent majority needs to speak up and act sooner than later.