Home The Lounge
Options

The World We Live In

Comments

• Options
    vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited March 2022

It's the woke generation that spends all their time texting and accomplishing nothing that always seems to find a way to destroy the English language by inventing words to fit their agenda that day. Traditional words have either been abbreviated or changed in a way to make it easier to text them and it's ruining communication in this country.

But, I guess you are perfectly fine with college students that can't even construct a complete sentence because of all the illiterate, nonsensical jargon being called "words" these days, much like the word "adulting". I guess people are too lazy to simply say "act like an adult" anymore, you have to use an abbreviated form of it.

That's what I mean by "woke opinion"; it's woke democrats that explicitly and/or implicitly make the case that the current English language is "too difficult" to apply--i.e., it's too hard to use these old outdated words so let's make up a bunch of crap that makes no sense, then get places like Merriam-Webster to legitimize it. 

• Options
    @vtgrad2003
    I gave up on college students in the early 90's while trying to explain;
    If A then B,
    Not B,
    Therefore Not A.

One example; 
    If it's raining then the street is wet,
    The street is not wet,
    Therefore it is not raining.

And if you really wanted to confuse the "slept" teach that "If A then B" is equivalent to "Not A or B" or the mathematical/computer science equivalent -(A & -B). 

I went back to the business world and opened a Wholesale/Retail Martial Arts supply and cutlery shop.
  • Options
    mapletopmapletop Master
    edited March 2022
    An interesting take by Martin Cothran
    The Place of Logic in the Classical Curriculum

Grammar, the first of the three components of the trivium, is the study of the structure of language and how language is expressed in writing and speech. Rhetoric, the last part of the trivium, is the study of the rules of persuasion, as well as their written and spoken use. Logic fits in between these two, and is the study of the structure of thought and how thought is expressed in words.

Modern logic, on the other hand, is largely mathematical. A course in modern logic  would begin with the study of arguments as they are used in everyday language, but quickly descend into the study of how to manipulate variable symbols. However, since words are not variable symbols like those studied in modern logic (which can stand for anything), but rather signs that each have a particular signification, modern logic has limited use when it comes to the study of language. It is simply not the kind of logic used in linguistic reasoning.

Traditional logic is studied because traditional logic is an intrinsic part of language study.

What does logic consist of?

The older system of traditional logic recognized two branches of logic: formal logic (like that covered in our Traditional Logic program), and informal or material logic (like that covered in our Material Logic program).

Formal logic focuses on the procedural aspect of reasoning, its mechanics—how we properly get from two premises or assumptions to a conclusion. Material logic focuses on the philosophical or metaphysical aspects of words, statements, and arguments that can affect our ability to arrive at truth.

Even many classical educators are simply not aware that there is any other aspect to logic than the formal aspect. One of the reasons for this lack of awareness is that modern logic, which largely displaced traditional logic in colleges and universities in the twentieth century, only recognizes the formal aspect of logic, since it is based on anti-metaphysical assumptions that conflict with the traditional metaphysics treated in material logic.

The traditional system of logic recognizes that logic is larger than just form, or structure, and that the content can and does affect the process of reasoning from premises to conclusion.

But if this is all true, then what do we do with fallacies, the teaching of which has become so common in classical education circles? We need to recognize, first, that there are both formal and informal fallacies. Formal fallacies are those that result from the violation of the formal rules of reasoning, those studied in formal logic. These are covered in a formal logic course. But informal fallacies are mistakes in reasoning that result from mistakes in the material or content of reasoning and from certain psychological mistakes.

If we were to draw an analogy with a cooking recipe, we would say that several things could go wrong: First, we could make mistakes in the procedural aspect of cooking—mixing the ingredients improperly, or cooking them too long, etc. This is a formal mistake, like putting one of our terms in the wrong place in a statement or putting our statement in the wrong place in our argument.

Or we could have the wrong ingredient, or one that has gone bad. This is an informal material mistake, like including a false premise in our argument.

Or we could have our attention diverted from the process entirely, by getting a phone call in the middle of cooking, or having to deal with a child who skinned his knee. This is an informal psychological mistake, like having our attention diverted from proper reasoning by the latest survey, or news story, or emotional appeal.

Formal fallacies are covered in a formal logic program. Informal material fallacies are largely covered in material logic. Informal psychological fallacies largely fall into the domain of rhetoric.

Logic vs. Critical Thinking Skills

While many people use the word “logic” in a too‑restricted sense in referring only to formal logic, many others associate it with any kind of abstract thinking. This also is a mistake, although a mistake in the opposite direction. The origin of this error lies in the contemporary emphasis on “critical thinking skills.” Although all logic is a part of critical thinking skills, all critical thinking skills are not a part of logic. The various discrete thinking processes studied in such “critical thinking skills” programs commonly cover spatial and figural skills and mathematical reasoning, as well as reading, writing, and vocabulary skills. Once again, these skills are not without value, but it would be a mistake to confuse them with logic itself. One striking fact about such programs is that they seem comprehensive but include almost nothing that is covered in traditional discussions of either formal or material logic.

These are the three major misunderstandings in the thinking about logic. If we could better understand logic, we would know why it is so important to study.

• Options
    @mapletop
    Interesting treatise! I took a look at some of the material in his text book and it's not something I'd be comfortable presenting to 7+ grade students.
  • Options
    Dear God Please save our civilization!
  • Options

Dude, I'll have to give up my hobby of camel toe identification I normally practice when looking at "chicks" in bathing suits 🤣

Gives new meaning to the phrase "is it an innie or an outie" 🤣

• Options
    @opipeman

I think that grandparents have shared that sentiment for decades if not centuries. Think about parents and grandparents and what they thought of the future back in during the Great Depression and late 1930s.  
  • Options
    Warning:  These views are the opinion of myself and are probably not PC.

Letting that, or any, he/she compete in a women’s league does not make sense.  I say they need to test DNA (I’m not a genetics expert, but I don’t think DNA can be “cheated”…unless it is not actually that specific persons…such as substituting someone else’s in place of) to prove male or female and then compete accordingly.  Women’s sports were created specifically to level the playing field, now they are letting “was-men” to compete as a woman?  WTH?  They might as well combine all sports to men/women/whatever? and let whomever rise to the top in their chosen endeavor.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe;
    I guess you have a point, but back then most of the country had faith and families were at the center of their lives.
  • Options
    @opipeman
    Yes. The country was more religious and families were more likely to have two parents in the home.
    Of course they were more concerned with nuclear bombs, rock and roll and girls wearing skirts at the knee than what sexual organ was under the skirt.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited March 2022
    The psychopath left liberal nut jobs are hell bent on selling an idea that men are equal to women in all ways.  How the f@#$ can anyone even consider believing that when just by visual appearance alone we are NOT the same! There are far more differences in how we are not the same. But than again, I'm not a biologist 🤣
  • Options
    You need some rain? SE Louisiana has been under severe thunderstorm and tornado warnings for the past 60 minutes. One tornado reported about 10 miles north of me. A waterspout about 5 miles NE of me. A second tornado about 5 miles south. 

One weather reporting station has reported 7 inches of rain in 90 minutes. 

Good thing I had a glass of tequila and a pipe. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe
    Yes, we could use some rain, hail, sleet, snow….anything.  It was dry and hot as hell last year, I think it will be even worse this year.   Do you think you can get some of your extra water trucked up here😬.  I guess for the price of fuel, we could probably make our own water🤔
  • Options
    @PappyJoe
    I agree, what a great job it would be! 🍺
  • Options
    @PappyJoe;
    Hope the twisters shy away from you and yours, Brother!
  • Options
    @opipeman
    They did. 
    The National Weather Service sent teams out this morning to check on damage. The only one to touch down was the one 10 miles north of me. The one south of me showed up on the radar but didn't touch down. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe;
    Glad you are safe, Brother!
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited March 2022

The Democrat logo. The one thing they did right.

• Options
    Tonight's the big night!!!!

🤣

• Options
    Well here's to a North Carolina win, and while considering their mascot, if they don't win, do they take up goat yoga? It's really a thing, just saying:}