Home The Lounge

The World We Live In

Comments

• I'd hate to wake up every day where everything is taken so seriously and everything is a crisis. I know people with CF that enjoy life more. 
  • How blessed we are.
  • Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited September 2021
    These times are beyond me. We didn't start this we, didn't stop this. The evil that people do is indescribable. The energy used for death and destruction is incomprehensible.

Just think of it.

Wuhan China, Russian hacking, big pharma, forced vaxing, voter fraud, degregation, open boarders, deregulation, 13 dead, hundreds abandoned, Drones killed innocence, still pleading ignorant.

More crisis day by day, created by elites anyway, depleting freedoms to have and to hold, In times of old as it is today, fighting the wicked, we're fighting for you. Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray
    South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Joe DiMaggio
    Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, television
    North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe
    Rosenbergs, H-bomb, Sugar Ray, Panmunjom
    Brando, "The King and I", and "The Catcher in the Rye"
    Eisenhower, Vaccine, England's got a new queen
    Marciano, Liberace, Santayana, goodbye
    We didn't start the fire
    It was always burning, since the world's been turning
    We didn't start the fire
    No, we didn't light it, but we tried to fight it
    Joseph Stalin, Malenkov, Nasser and Prokofiev
    Rockefeller, Campanella, Communist Bloc
    Roy Cohn, Juan Peron, Toscanini, Dacron
    Dien Bien Phu falls, "Rock Around the Clock"
    Einstein, James Dean, Brooklyn's got a winning team
    Davy Crockett, Peter Pan, Elvis Presley, Disneyland
    Bardot, Budapest, Alabama, Krushchev
    Princess Grace, Peyton Place, Trouble in the Suez
    We didn't start the fire
    We didn't start the fire
    Little Rock, Pasternak, Mickey Mantle, Kerouac
    Sputnik, Chou En-Lai, "Bridge on the River Kwai"
    Lebanon, Charles de Gaulle, California baseball
    Starkweather homicide, children of thalidomide
    Buddy Holly, Ben Hur, space monkey, mafia
    Hula hoops, Castro, Edsel is a no-go
    U2, Syngman Rhee, Payola and Kennedy
    Chubby Checker, Psycho, Belgians in the Congo
    We didn't start the fire
    We didn't start the fire
    Hemingway, Eichmann, "Stranger in a Strange Land"
    Dylan, Berlin, Bay of Pigs invasion
    "Lawrence of Arabia", British Beatlemania
    Ole Miss, John Glenn, Liston beats Patterson
    Pope Paul, Malcolm X, British politician sex
    JFK – blown away, what else do I have to say?
    We didn't start the fire
    We didn't start the fire
    Birth control, Ho Chi Minh, Richard Nixon back again
    Moonshot, Woodstock, Watergate, punk rock
    Begin, Reagan, Palestine, terror on the airline
    Ayatollah's in Iran, Russians in Afghanistan
    "Wheel of Fortune", Sally Ride, heavy metal suicide
    Foreign debts, homeless vets, AIDS, crack, Bernie Goetz
    Hypodermics on the shore, China's under martial law
    Rock and roller, cola wars, I can't take it anymore
    We didn't start the fire
    We didn't start the fire
    But when we are gone
    It will still burn on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on
  • @Londy3
    One of about 10 CD Albums I ever bought.  I have some pretty serious hearing loss, so an audiophile I am not.  I do love a wide genre of music though.
  • @Londy3
    "It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine."

Billy Joel updated by R.E.M.

Got my spine, got my Carring Cross!
  • vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited September 2021
    @Balisong
    I pity the current ilk under 30, never having another REM, Bowie, Reed, Rush, Yes, Zeppelin (although I was never a big Zeppelin fan), Metallica, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Jane's Addiction...there were a ton of bands that played real music with actual instruments and harmony back then, not anymore though. When I go to some of these 401K tours they put on, everyone my age is rockin to the music, and if there is anyone under 30 there, they are on their phones like the shallow individuals they are.

There just doesn't seem to be the talent or demand out there anymore for the sort of music that actually requires some level of talent to pull off. 
  • Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited September 2021
    @vtgrad2003
    Im an artist and musician, this has been the trend for a long time. Computer generated loops and just talk or scream over it is the gig. Not much musical talent more technical than anything. The real music today is rare. It's still out there but now you have really look for it. The industry has changed a ton over the last few decades so this is the result. I suspect more will change and more experimental sounds will happen through technology. Nothing like the 60s will ever happen again though. 
    edited September 2021
    @Londy3
    Today, I find my peace in Bluegrass and Old Time music...especially up here in the hills where it's still, literally, back porch music, using real instruments with real talent and real harmony. 
  • It's a normal progression. My parents lamented the loss of Judy Garland, The Andrew Sisters and the Rat Pack. I discovered a live jazz broadcast when I was very young, my father gave me a small Toshiba transistor radio that I put under my pillow at night. When I got a little older it was the nature bands, the Animals, Byrds, Turtles, and, Beatles. When disco came along I reverted to Jazz and some of the New Age artists especially Michael Hedges until Hootie came along. Back to nature, the circle will come around again.
  • I struggle to find any music made over the last two decades that I enjoy hearing. Even modern country music is lacking.
    When I started working for myself in 2006, I rediscovered blues and Cajun music (what is generally called swamp pop these days). For awhile, that was pretty much all I had on while working. Now I listen to those plus rock, country, R&B and pop from the 60s & 70s. I'll even listen to some of the great music from the 80s & 90s.

Nothing being produced today comes close to matching the classics.
  • Ahhh, Darius Rucker, one of the true greats! When I lived in Charleston, he would sometimes come by a tavern I frequented near his old neighborhood and strum some for the patrons...nothing planned, just did it. I've been to tons of Hootie shows over the years. 

About 6 years ago I was teaching my large section of introductory microeconomics in an auditorium of about 200 students; at our university, about 80% of the students are black. I would always get there about 20 minutes before class started to make sure all the AV equipment worked and get set up. I would often get in off-the-cuff discussions with the students. One day a student asked me what music I listened to and so I listed the bands...Metallica, Rush, Soundgarden, The Clash, Suicidal Tendencies, etc. They were like 'dude, what?' and I responded, "what do you expect, I'm an old white guy!" and they all laughed. 

I then went on about how many black artists there were in the rock world and they didn't believe me, so I ditched economics for that class and started  to play music for them from some of these artists. I started with Fishbone (more punk rock than rock), then played some Living Colour, and finished the class off with Hootie and the Blowfish...many were blown away.

A few years later, one of the students from that course came by my office during Homecoming and he had a Metallica shirt on and wearing Vans shoes (a brand I wear as well and wore to class back then). After some banter I asked what the deal was with the shirt, he said that after that class back then he started listening to rock so much that he became hooked on it...then he said..."I am now officially an old white guy!" We both laughed hysterically  :D  
  • To quote Elwood Blues
    "The music know today as the blues will soon only exist in the classical music section of your local public library, all that will be left is pre programed electric disco."
  • @Zouave
    Interesting, I was just listening to Bluesville on XM and the DJ? was slinging modern/current blues artists.  When the first song started I thought to myself “What the hell is this crap…it’s not the blues” and I popped over to the “Classic Rewind” channel.  It was kinda suck’in too, so I went back to “Bluesville”.  Another modern artist was playing and he made my day, there are still some true blues artists out there, making real blues music, thankfully.  Now, if I could only remember that guys name🤔
  • ZouaveZouave Master
    edited September 2021
    @RockyMountainBriar there are definitely some good new blues musicians around. One of the local colleges the Rochester Institute of Technology has a great blues show on its radio station WITR. They do a great job of mixing up old and new musicians. Oddly enough Son House lived right around the block from where I am now. And we're about as far from Mississippi as you can get 
  • I love listening to the mandolin! Mike Guggino with Steep Canyon is probably my favorite player. 

An Interview with Mike Guggino of the Steep Canyon Rangers
  • If you're looking for a good Blues podcast, check out The Roadhouse by Tony Steidler-Dennison.

"The Roadhouse is a 60-minute weekly podcast of the best independent blues from around the world. Featuring a mixture of independent artists and permissions-based music from independent blues labels, it's 60 minutes of the finest blues you've never heard. An Association of Music Podcasting feed, The Roadhouse is dedicated to the independent blues artist."

I've listened to it for years.
  • Thanks @PappyJoe. I'll check it out. 
  • Chris Thile is definitely worth noting. Even one the MacArthur award. Saw him live in Chapel Hill and he was fantastic.

Also, my friend Don Julin is great as well. He is buddies with Dave Grisman. 

• @motie2

Umm, I know your post above is directed at something or someone, that said, just a question; in the cartoon, second panel, the figure indicates that he needs to "make people realize you can't trust everything you read"...why is it anyone's job to do that? Should there be a 'thought police' who's job it is to 'educate' the 'uneducated'?

To me, that's the fundamental difference between the two halves of this country. One side thinks that it's somehow their job to make sure everyone thinks like they do, and the other side is more like 'stay out of my business'. This is very much the same ideal Obama had when he said that some Americans cling to their guns and their bibles...well, so? Who's business is it of his if they do? And does that somehow make them less of a person? Or when he said "you didn't build this" to American small business people, or with Hillary's "It takes a village" to raise a child...some of us simply believe it takes the back of a parents hand (so to speak) to raise a child...I certainly don't want any 'villages' raising my kids.

To me, that cartoon is exactly why this country is so divided. Just my opinion, however.   
  • motie2motie2 Master
    edited September 2021
    I agree with you. That cartoon is exactly why this country is so divided. It’s not the political, social, or reality divides; it’s the damn cartoon.

Why so serious? And why does every post have to be directed at someone or something? 
  • I think I may need therapy. 

I'm beginning to agree with @vtgrad2003.

edited September 2021
    My wife and I have been going to Snyder Family Band concerts forever; eventually, the son went to the Appalachian Roadshow and the daughter is still finishing up college. That said, I remember watching these two play when Samantha was only about 10, and Zeb (a flat picker in the spirt of Doc Watson) was like 15 or something...here they are now (Zeb's video is a couple of years old)...absolutely two of the most talented youngsters in Bluegrass today. And believe it or not, they were just as good when they were kids; I remember at one show where there were about 10 other well-known Bluegrass and Old Time bands, when they started playing, every single member of every single band stopped warming up to watch...it was an incredible display. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lriyio9SIes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDM7mlvvWoM