Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Pipes Pipes and more Pipes...

1717273747577»

Comments

• Options
    Uh, why not?
    I’d smoke it, it has a wrap around grip.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited June 24
    Olivewood beauty…..

Brentegani Pipes Olivewood Smooth Billiard Pipe #102-0794

Brentegani Pipes

$371.94

• Options
    @motie2 now that's a pretty pipe.
  • Options
    opipemanopipeman Master
    Anyone ever smoke an Olivewood Pipe? How does it compare to Briar pipes? Does it hold up over time?
    I've never tried one.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited June 24
    Olivewood, briar, and morta are all used for crafting tobacco pipes, each with distinct characteristics:

Briar:
    - Most common and traditional material
    - Highly heat-resistant and absorbs moisture well
    - Neutral flavor that doesn't interfere with tobacco taste
    - Durable and long-lasting

Olivewood:
    - Less common than briar
    - Good heat resistance, though not as high as briar
    - Slightly sweet, woody flavor that may influence tobacco taste
    - Attractive grain patterns and lighter color
    - Generally less expensive than briar

Morta (petrified bog oak):
    - Rare and often expensive
    - Excellent heat resistance
    - Dense and heavy
    - Unique dark color and subtle grain
    - Neutral flavor similar to briar

In summary, briar remains the gold standard for pipes due to its performance and neutral flavor. Olivewood offers an attractive alternative with good properties at a lower cost, though it may impart some flavor. Morta is a premium option for those seeking something unique.
    ……………………………………………………….

The flavor influence of olivewood on tobacco is subtle but noticeable, especially to experienced pipe smokers. Here are some key points:

1. Initial flavor: When an olivewood pipe is new, it may impart a more pronounced flavor to the tobacco. This is often described as a mild, sweet, and slightly woody taste.

2. Flavor profile: The taste is frequently characterized as:
       - Lightly sweet
       - Faintly fruity (some compare it to a very mild olive oil taste)
       - Woody, but not as intense as some other woods

3. Seasoning period: Like most pipes, olivewood pipes go through a "breaking-in" period. During this time, the wood's influence on the tobacco's flavor is strongest. As the pipe is used more, this effect generally diminishes.

4. Compatibility with tobaccos: The slight sweetness can complement certain tobacco blends, particularly aromatics or light English blends. However, it might slightly alter the taste of more delicate Virginia tobaccos.

5. Individual variation: The intensity of flavor can vary between pipes due to differences in the wood's density, age, and how it was cured.

6. Long-term effects: Over time, as the pipe builds up a cake (the carbon deposit inside the bowl), the wood's influence on flavor typically decreases.

7. Comparison to other woods: While noticeable, the flavor imparted by olivewood is generally considered less pronounced than that of some other alternative pipe woods like cherrywood or pear wood.

It's worth noting that the degree to which a smoker notices this flavor can be quite subjective and may depend on their palate sensitivity and smoking experience. Some smokers actively seek out olivewood pipes for this subtle flavor addition, while others prefer the more neutral taste of traditional briar pipes.
  • Options
    @opipeman
    I have been eyeing some olive wood pipes, just haven’t jumped in yet.  I do know that when I was turning some olive wood for a pen, I could smell the olive oil.  I wonder if the blocks used for pipes are boiled to remove the oil?  Maybe they just leave them as is, there are some briar pipe manufacturers, Dunhill I think is one, that touts some pipes being “oil cured”, and I think the oil used was/is olive oil?
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited June 25
    Here's a brief overview of how olivewood is typically treated and prepared for pipe making:

1. Harvesting and curing: The wood is harvested from olive trees and allowed to air dry for several months to reduce moisture content.

2. Cutting and shaping: The wood is cut into blocks suitable for pipe making, then roughly shaped using saws and sanders.

3. Boiling or steaming: Some craftsmen boil or steam the wood to remove any remaining sap or oils, which can affect the pipe's taste.

4. Further drying: The wood is dried again to ensure optimal moisture content.

5. Final shaping: The pipe is carved to its final form using various tools.

6. Sanding: The pipe is sanded to a smooth finish, progressing through finer grits.

7. Treating: Some makers apply a mineral oil or carnauba wax to enhance the wood's natural beauty and provide protection.

8. Finishing: A final polish is applied to achieve the desired luster.

• Options
    opipemanopipeman Master
    @motie2;
    Good info. Thanks.
  • Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    @motie2

Any information on pear wood? A lot of pipes in Eastern Europe and the former USSR are being made from pear wood. I have dealt with Mr. Brog in the past and he has produced some nice inexpensive pipes. They do get warmer than a briar when smoking but if you are a slow smoker they handle it well. 

I have seen some pear wood pipes with really nice carving on them also.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @PappyJoe

Pearwood and olivewood are both used for crafting tobacco pipes, but they have some distinct characteristics:

Pearwood:
    1. Density: Medium-dense hardwood
    2. Grain: Fine and tight grain structure
    3. Heat resistance: Good heat resistance
    4. Flavor: Neutral, doesn't impart much flavor to tobacco
    5. Appearance: Light color, can range from pale yellow to pinkish
    6. Workability: Easy to carve and shape

Olivewood:
    1. Density: Dense hardwood
    2. Grain: More pronounced grain pattern with interesting figuring
    3. Heat resistance: Excellent heat resistance
    4. Flavor: Can impart a subtle, slightly sweet flavor to tobacco
    5. Appearance: Varied colors from pale to dark brown, often with attractive patterns
    6. Workability: Can be more challenging to work with due to its density

In comparison:
    - Pearwood is generally easier to work with and more affordable.
    - Olivewood is more durable and heat-resistant, potentially lasting longer.
    - Olivewood often has a more striking appearance due to its grain patterns.
    - Pearwood is more neutral in flavor, while olivewood may slightly influence the tobacco taste.

The choice between the two often comes down to personal preference in terms of aesthetics, smoking experience, and budget.