Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Pipes Pipes and more Pipes...

Comments

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    @motie2
    At least one shouldn't have to worry about breaking the shank off of that Mathias 339...
  • Options
    Almost all of those Neerup and Stokkebye pipes have quite the stocky look.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar your observation is correct since the Stokkebye pipes are made by Neerup.

While Erik Michael Stokkebye had made connections with a number of tobacco growers and blenders through the years, he had few contacts with pipemakers. One of those pipemaking friends, Erik Nording, suggested that Danish pipemaker Peder Jeppesen, the maker of Neerup pipes, would be perfect for the project. It would take a chance meeting between Erik Michael and Jeppesen at an Alabama tobacco shop to confirm Nording’s recommendation.

• Options
    @mapletop
    Yes, I was aware of that.  Thank you for the little history behind it🙂
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    This takes a horn shape too far IMHO. Walking into the wind would be fun, as would - when seated - setting your crotch on fire.

• Options
    @motie2
    When walking into the wind….maybe it’s not really a smoking pipe, but a masochistic ash inhaler😖
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited July 2021
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @motie2, that Florov pipe is GORGEOUS!!
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Any H.P. Lovecraft* fans?
    *(I couldn’t spell Cthulhu….”

• Options
    @motie2
    And, Nope! No a fan of the Cthulhu….?  Some jerks black spray-painted/tagged the backside of my big white garage with something that looks like that thing a few years ago.  It took me $40 of paint to “mostly” cover it. I should have turned it in to insurance.  The cops sure didn’t care, not surprising.  I have security cameras now.  Funny, I have not had any more problems with taggers.
  • Options
    vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited July 2021
    I have a quick question for everyone...would you by this pipe for $750 if you saw this picture (along with other views of course)? Would you buy it if you saw the description of it below the picture? I'm just curious what everyone thinks...

A soft-lined, compact, and supple Acorn, this piece exemplifies [carver's name deleted] Danish-leaning shaping style. The form is defined by the underside's consistent arch, curling under the transition and up the bowl's fore into the rounded rim. This trajectory, then, is perfectly matched by the topside's curve, albeit interrupted by the gentle, slightly tucked transition. Both the top and bottom lines, combined with the easy gesture of the transition make for a stunning lesson in negative space — the area surrounding the silhouette drawing almost as much attention as the form itself and the domed stem base echoing the plump upper bowl in profile. It's all made possible by [carver's name deleted] dedication to keeping things simple in this piece, adhering to a minimalist aesthetic and maintaining the focus on the shape and grain. Beautifully oriented strands of straight grain circumscribe the bowl, highlighted in a natural contrast stain. In keeping with the minimalist Danish style,  [carver's name deleted] has avoided the use of adorning accents, opting instead for a simple and subtle dot of plateau on the bulbous rim that perfectly suits the intended style. Simply gorgeous work from the American artisan.

• Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @vtgrad2003 , IMHO, no pipe is worth that unless it is a museum piece.  There are plenty of artisan pipes well below that price level that would give a great smoking experience.
  • Options
    @mfresa
    Great point (one which I agree with) but, let me rephrase the question, based on the information above, assuming you were willing to spend that amount of money on a pipe...would you buy it if you saw the picture I posted (look closely at it), or if you were given the description of it...there seems to be a slight disconnect between the two if you ask me....
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I cannot imagine spending $750.00 for a pipe. Of course, I cannot imagine spending more than $30.00 for a pipe, including shipping.
  • Options
    @mfresa @motie2

I was more speaking about the actual pipe shown in the picture I posted...anyone notice the big ass hole in the rim and what appears to be a natural crack that goes from the hole to the inside of the rim? I mean sure, it looks rustic and all, and may smoke perfectly fine for a while, but to risk $750, even if you were willing to spend that kind of money, when it has a flaw like that? I'd be hard-pressed. You can imagine the carver seeing that after cutting the bowl and saying "well shit, hmmm, I don't want to throw away this briar, so I'll call it a "subtle dot of plateau" and jack the price up $300 on it!" 
    Claudio Cavicchi would never let something like that out of his shop...and even his CCCCC pipes are only $625. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @vtgrad2003

This?

Are there any other "similar areas" on the outside of the bowl?

• Options
    @motie2

No, there aren't in any of the other pictures (not shown here so you'll have to trust me). What would concern me most, aside from the fact that the flaw is on the rim, is that it seems to extend into the bowl itself. I'm sure it doesn't go far into the bowl for sure (probably just barely), but imagine over time how repeated lighting would work on that and possibly open it up more. Its the right-hand-side of the bowl and most people are right handed...but $750? I still can't imagine paying that sort of money, even if I wanted to, for a briar pipe with a flaw like that in it. And yes, I do know that briar has many natural flaws when carving, hence the use of fillers sometimes, but that's the point of the filler, to help prevent heat from penetrating too far into the briar and opening up the flaw even more. 
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003
    No. I would not buy that pipe for $750. I would not buy that pipe without first holding it in my hand and examining it. 
    I would question why the carver would call that a "subtle dot of plateau." I would call it a pit. 

As for spending that much on a pipe, there are a number of great carvers and brands out there who can sell there pipes for $750 and often do. Then it is up to the pipe smoker to determine what a pipe is worth. I know a few who I would define as rich, who wouldn't hesitate to spend that much or more. I know many more who, as @motie2 said, can't see paying more than $30 for a pipe. 

I will say that in my experience, the filler on briar pipes is most often used to fix cosmetic issues. I would think that since the burning tobacco is on the inside of the bowl that a filler on the outside wouldn't have anything to do with the heat penetrating into the briar. And, if a carver is using filler on the inside of the bowl, then that is a carver to stay away from.
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    edited July 2021
    Gentlemen, the "flaw" on that pipe is a natural part of the plateau cut of the briar.  It is common to have them remain as part of the final product.  But @vtgrad2003 asks an interesting question, is there a similar feature on the inside of the bowl?  The strict answer is "no", as this feature is found on the outside of the briar root, BUT, small rocks or cracks or holes (sometimes caused by worms) can be found deeper in the wood when the bowl is drilled.  Depending on the extent of the defect, it can either be tolerated or cause the briar to be tossed in the garbage.  Just my humble opinion as an amateur carver, emphasize "amateur".
    Here's an example of a "plateau" pipe, one you have seen many times I'm sure:

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Still and all:  $750.00 …….for a pipe? 
    I know such things exist, and even more expensive, but other than pride of possession, is a $750.00 pipe that much better than a cob?
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification, @mfresa . I know what a plateau pipe is, but this looks more like a simple defect that extends into the bowl itself that's trying to be pawned off as a "subtle plateau". That said, I'm not a carver, just a simple consumer that, if I were to spend $750 on a pipe, certainly wouldn't have that sort of blemish in it around the rim...again, just my personal preference. Not that it's unattractive, in fact, just the opposite...it adds character, but it just seems like if it is a defect (not a true plateau), then you risk the pipe being damaged through regular heating and cooling...especially on the right hand side where you would hold a flame if you are right handed. Oh well, just thought I'd throw that out there because it seemed to me that this "defect" is trying to be passed off as something it's not...for $750