Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Pipes Pipes and more Pipes...

Comments

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    (By a lesser craftsman, this might scream,“SECOND.”)
  • Options
    @motie2
    For some pipe smokers with a lot more disposable income, $750 has the same impact that spending $75 would have on you or I. It's like I can't fathom spending $50K on a new car when I can get a really good vehicle for $27K. You buy what you feel you can afford.

I should disclose that I have some expensive pipes. I have an Ardor that retailed for $695 and two Rinaldo's that retailed for $595. While I didn't pay retail (I won them in long smoke competition), I do feel that they smoke better than a cob. The craftsmanship that went into carving them also looks better to my eye. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    My two most expensive pipes were gifts out of nowhere from my pipe smoking brethren. Both are EA Carey’s selling new for under $100.00.

God bless the kindness of two of you guys.
  • Options
    ZouaveZouave Master
    The day I spend $750 on a pipe, I better also set aside about $5000 on a retainer for the divorce lawyer I'm going to need when my wife sees the credit card bill.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Zouave

Yeah, what he said…..
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @vtgrad2003, Agreed.  And @motie2 has a good point as well.
  • Options
    vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited July 2021
    Everyone seems to be somewhat in agreement (a nod to @mfresa and @PappyJoe ) ...this would never happen among a bunch of economists!!!! (Of which I am one, so I should know, lol.) What we all certainly agree upon is the fact that $750 is quite a bit for any pipe, unless you are Jeff Bezos' wife after the divorce (a nod to @Zouave ) , and if you are going to spend more than $100 on a pipe, there are a ton of other carvers out there with very nice pipes for well under $750 (like as I mentioned earlier, Cavicchi et al.,).  But, we also seem to agree that even though a nice $100 - 200 pipe may, for all intents and purposes, smoke "better" than a cheaper pipe, many cheaper pipes are exceedingly sufficient at that task. 

Personally, I never buy new briars...only "estate" briars. I put estate in quotes because many of the estate pipes I buy are in exceedingly clean and/or "unsmoked" condition; I never buy an "unsmoked" estate pipe that is still in production as well; I have found that estate pipes that are in unsmoked condition and are still in production tend to be priced for about what the new pipe is, so I look specifically for pipes in this condition that aren't in production--i.e., I get a much better deal. I generally spend anywhere from $65 to $85 on a nice estate pipe. The only new pipes I buy are cobs (a nod to @motie2 ), of which I have 5 that I smoke regularly; however, with these I tend to get the special edition ones that are anywhere from $25 to $50. 

I'd still like to have a brand new Cavicchi CCCC though! My wife wouldn't divorce me (mostly because we keep all our finances separate), but the anxiety I would go through smoking out of it is really what keeps me from buying one given the number of pipes I've broken and/or ran over and/or dropped over the side of my fishing boat! I've never been one to treat my pipes with the respect they probably deserve!
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    @vtgrad2003
    It looks like it could be the work of “The Yeti”-Micah Crider”?  There is another carver that uses the same treatment on his pipes as well, but the name eludes me at the moment.  Many of “The Yeti’s” pipes have partially or mostly sanded off plateau in their designs.  I am generally not a fan of rough plateau, but I can see it being used to set a pipe off from the rest, give them a uniqueness.  Personally I like the bird’s eye that is under the plateau after it is smoothed out.
    The pipe also looks like it may have a sanded out feature on the rear external of the bowl.  It could be by design, OR it could be that another sandpit/void was sanded out to save the time and effort already expended in its’ creation?
  • Options
    As far as the price of a pipe, if I had it to spare, I would spend it.  Do I think a $$$$$$$ pipe would smoke that much better than any decent $50 pipe or less even, probably not?  Pipes are tools that can cross over into craftsmanship/art.  If it is ALL about smoking, then almost any old cob or inexpensive, but well made, (engineering wise) pipe will get the job done adequately.  I will probably never buy a $750 pipe, but if I find my Paulo Becker Smooth Rhodesian/Bulldog and I have the spare cash, it’s mine😉
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    @RockyMountainBriar it's a Pete Provost, the guy from Briarworks. I still think it's just a big-ass hole that he/they are just trying to pass off as a "subtle plateau". 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    @mapletop

Looking only at the 'quality' of the grain, it's not far off from a CCCC from Claudio Cavicchi, but his are only $550; his Dublin is not as ornate either, but hey, it's also $620 less! 

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    You guys gotta dream a little bit bigger......

Charatan Achievement, only $11,000.00

• Options
    @motie2
    There are definitely people out there that have a couple pennies to rub together...or a truckload full.  I'll admit, I have a few extra occasionally, but Holy Cow!
  • Options
    I had considered taking on a part time job and setting aside the income for a nice Dunhill. That thought dissipated slowly as I began to realize that every time I smoke one of my briars I can't wait to finish and load up a cob. For under 10 bucks I can use, abuse or lose a cob. If I really like one I can replace a stem that breaks or has too many bite marks for under a buck and if one gets rancid into the trash it goes! I skipped the new job.
  • Options
    This guy (Claudio C.) simply knows briar wood(s)...look at this straight (top) and cross graining (below that) and each for $550:

• Options
    edited January 2
    He does great work.  There have been more than a few I would have liked to get my hands on.  They are a bit out of my price range, and they are typically Italian, meaning generally large-ish pipes.  I’m drawn to smaller pipes Dunhill group 3-4 size pipes.  I love my Foundation by Musico pipes, they are both in that 3-4 group size.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    I agree with the smaller pipes thing; I generally like less than 2 oz pipes because I clench so much. 
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003
    Nice selections! I smoke mostly cobs in the Rob Roy or Diplomat shape. I hope they put out a bent version of the Gambler.
  • Options
    @motie2

I smoke Delta 8 flower myself (to get to sleep at night mostly or wind down after a long day)...but would probably never use a cob to do it. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @vtgrad2003

We take the D8 gummies, although D9 is legal in NJ.

Heard about THC-0 ?
    https://www.binoidcbd.com/collections/thco-products

Whadaya think?

• Options
    edited July 2021
    @motie2
    Not for me; I grew up smoking pot, but as I got older (into my 40's mostly) the on-edge paranoid side of the buzz started becoming too intense. I took a break from it for a couple of years because of that, however, sleeping through the night was becoming impossible. This is when I became aware of Delta 8 late last year which is legal in NC (at least for now it is). It seems to be the perfect, mild sort of relaxing buzz that's perfect for me with no paranoid side effects at all. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Sleep through the night? Wait until you are my age….  Getting up several times a night to .. uh … micturate.