Home General
Options

New to the forum? Introduce yourself!

Comments

• Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    I guess with the new changes to TPL forum I am now considered a newcomer :D  HA HA HA or at least that is what my new title is. Starting over again I guess, it doesn't hurt to reintroduce myself either way; I reside in southwest Ohio close to Cincinnati and am very lucky to have a couple of brick and mortars within close vicinity to be able to visit: Straus Tobacconist, Carrousel Keyer Tobacco Shoppe and Bell's House of Tobacco. I have been enjoying my pipes for over 10 years. I am also very luck to be able to pipe muse with my brother-in-law and share different blends and tins with him. I have a wide range of pipes from clay, meerschaum, morta (bog-oak), corn cob and of course briar. My selection of blends varies with the seasons, summer and spring are more Virginia or Virginia-Perique along with Burleys and fall and winter I like Balkan or Latakia and I always enjoy a good aromatic regardless of season. I enjoy my pipes when relaxing in my back yard or with close friends/colleagues and on occasion at a pipe show when I can attend them. Really enjoy TPL forum and all of the great information shared, the pipe images are also a treat especially the rare or eccentric ones.

• Options
    I guess with the new changes to TPL forum I am now considered a newcomer :D  HA HA HA or at least that is what my new title is. Starting over again I guess, it doesn't hurt to reintroduce myself either way; I reside in southwest Ohio close to Cincinnati and am very lucky to have a couple of brick and mortars within close vicinity to be able to visit: Straus Tobacconist, Carrousel Keyer Tobacco Shoppe and Bell's House of Tobacco. I have been enjoying my pipes for over 10 years. I am also very luck to be able to pipe muse with my brother-in-law and share different blends and tins with him. I have a wide range of pipes from clay, meerschaum, morta (bog-oak), corn cob and of course briar. My selection of blends varies with the seasons, summer and spring are more Virginia or Virginia-Perique along with Burleys and fall and winter I like Balkan or Latakia and I always enjoy a good aromatic regardless of season. I enjoy my pipes when relaxing in my back yard or with close friends/colleagues and on occasion at a pipe show when I can attend them. Really enjoy TPL forum and all of the great information shared, the pipe images are also a treat especially the rare or eccentric ones.
  • Options
    I appears with the new changes to TPL forum I am now considered a newcomer :D  HA HA HA or at least that is what my new title is. After being on here over a year I am starting over again I guess, it doesn't hurt to reintroduce myself either way; I reside in southwest Ohio close to Cincinnati and am very lucky to have a couple of brick and mortars within close vicinity to be able to visit: Straus Tobacconist, Carrousel Keyer Tobacco Shoppe and Bell's House of Tobacco. I have been enjoying my pipes for over 10 years. I am also very luck to be able to pipe muse with my brother-in-law and share different blends and tins with him. I have a wide range of pipes from clay, meerschaum, morta (bog-oak), corn cob and of course briar. My selection of blends varies with the seasons, summer and spring are more Virginia or Virginia-Perique along with Burleys and fall and winter I like Balkan or Latakia and I always enjoy a good aromatic regardless of season. I enjoy my pipes when relaxing in my back yard or with close friends/colleagues and on occasion at a pipe show when I can attend them. Really enjoy TPL forum and all of the great information shared, the pipe images are also a treat especially the rare or eccentric ones.

• Options
    I appears with the new changes to TPL forum I am now considered a newcomer :D  HA HA HA or at least that is what my new title is. After being on here over a year I am starting over again I guess, it doesn't hurt to reintroduce myself either way; I reside in southwest Ohio close to Cincinnati and am very lucky to have a couple of brick and mortars within close vicinity to be able to visit: Straus Tobacconist, Carrousel Keyer Tobacco Shoppe and Bell's House of Tobacco. I have been enjoying my pipes for over 10 years. I am also very luck to be able to pipe muse with my brother-in-law and share different blends and tins with him. I have a wide range of pipes from clay, meerschaum, morta (bog-oak), corn cob and of course briar. My selection of blends varies with the seasons, summer and spring are more Virginia or Virginia-Perique along with Burleys and fall and winter I like Balkan or Latakia and I always enjoy a good aromatic regardless of season. I enjoy my pipes when relaxing in my back yard or with close friends/colleagues and on occasion at a pipe show when I can attend them. Really enjoy TPL forum and all of the great information shared, the pipe images are also a treat especially the rare or eccentric ones.

• Options
    @jshaw1957 and @PaulKeith -- "Welcome, welcome, welcome," as John  Oliver says every Sunday evening. We all look forward to your contributions and participation in our little forum. Need anything, just ask, although world peace is in short supply just now.

@piperdave -- I spent nine years in Cincinnati (1964-1973), so Straus was an old friend. But it's Skyline I miss. SWMBO and I order it 40 cans at a time.
  • Options
    @PaulKeith Welcome to the group. Great handle. I come from a large Italian family and nearly everyone is named some variation of Paul. My Grandfather was Paul, Grandmother Pauline, their first born son, my uncle was  named Paul. Who in turn named his first son Paul Richard. The other five kids including my Mom ended up naming at least one of their kids either Paul, Paula, Pauline, Paulette. Somehow I escaped but ended up with the bland name Joe. So when it came time to name my two sons I broke from tradition and named one Jason and the other ... Keith. So I think you and I should get along famously.
  • Options
    <<Place holding post to keep the folder near the top for newcomers.>>
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    I am 72 years old (young ) and live in Richmond  Indiana. Enjoying life since retiring from teaching, both elementary and special education. I've been smoking a pipe pretty much since sneaking one of my father's Falcon pipes when I was 15. Bought my first pipe, a corn cob, for 49 cents. In the early 60's, while in college,  the first cigarette scare came out. A number of guys in my dorm bought pipes and pouches of Middleton Cherry Blend. After they burnt their tongues a few times, I was given their pipes, and my collection began. I discovered Flying Dutchman and a blend from Chicago, Cellini. I now have a collection of over a hundred pipes. And currently smoke anything from Lane. I don't buy any tobacco I can't smoke first. My wife tolerates any blend I smoke as long as it doesn't contain latakia
  • Options
    @Bruceg Welcome fellow Hoosier. I'm from that great city of Gary, Indiana, home U.S. Steel, urban blight, and the unidentified body in the cornfield. How I managed to live to be 67 years old is a mystery to me - but I'm taking every day as a bonus. I got you beat, I started smoking a pipe sometime during that transition between 7th and 8th grade while attending a Catholic School. My first pipe was a gaudy skull shaped briar with red glass made to look like rubies for the eyes. Middleton Cherry was my first tobacco as well, and assumed tongue bite was just a normal part of pipe smoking. You do have me beat in your current collection of pipes - love to see you post a few pictures in the thread we currently have called The Daily Briar Photoshoot. I'm an aromatic smoker as well, and not too fond of Latakia blends. But have dabbled in Captain Black "Black Sea" which is their only tinned tobacco with Latakia. It's not too strong and makes from a nice transition from aromatics to English blends. Glad to have you a part of the group. And proud to know there is another Hoosier representing the Pipe Smoking Community.  
  • Options
    @bruceg -- Let me add my own word of welcome. Thank you for joining: If I have my figures correct, you've bumped me down to third oldest geezer here!!! Funny how so many our age started with Middleton's tongue tearing Cherry Blend. Oh, it smelled like heaven, but bit like hell.

• Options
    W
    Hole I too attended Catholic school, our priest smoked Blue Baor and it smelled awful. First tobacco I bought was Cookie Jar as it smelled great. I was brought into the world of. Pipes watching Basil Rathbone as Sherlock  Holmes. After reading all of Conan Doyle"s stories, I was surprised to learn it was Watson who most often smoked a pipe. Holmes more often chose a cigarette.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited November 2017
    <<One thing that Holmes has in common with generations of pipe smokers is that he often combined a contemplative mood with bowl after bowl of tobacco. When faced with a particularly difficult case, Holmes informed Watson that he didn’t wish to be disturbed for the rest of the evening, as he intended to smoke and ruminate over the puzzle at hand. In doing so, he told Watson that he considered the case to be “quite a three-pipe problem”. >>

<<"He took off his coat and waist-coat, put on a large blue dressing-gown, and then wandered about the room collecting pillows from his bed, and cushions from the sofa and armchairs.  With these he constructed a sort of Eastern divan, upon which he perched himself cross-legged, with an ounce of shag tobacco and a box of matches laid out in front of him.  In the dim light of the lamp I saw him sitting there, an old brier pipe between his lips, his eyes fixed vacantly upon the corner of the ceiling, the blue smoke curling up from him, silent, motionless, with the light shining upon his strong-set aquiline features.  So he sat as I dropped off to sleep, and so he sat when a sudden ejaculation caused me to wake up, and I found the summer sun shining into the apartment.  The pipe was still between his lips, the smoke still curled upwards, and the room was full of a dense tobacco haze, but nothing remained of the heap of shag which I had seen upon the previous night.">>
  • Options
    I guess I first of the doddering old guys; Welcome on board. On Catholic School I escaped the intimidating Sister Mary Elephant in the 3rd grade and never looked back. 
    The pipe has become my hobby as well as my main relaxation and I love learning new things as well as passing on stuff I've picked up over the years.
  • Options

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Greetings everyone! I’m Ed. I’m out in Orange County, CA. Got on the pipe as I saw my grandfather smoking his pipes growing up. I inherited them after his passing (years ago). And have been trying to get involved in a community of fellow pipe smokers. Cheers to everyone and looking forward to sharing a smoke with you one day. 
  • Options
    Welcome, @OddJob27 !! Lots of pipe smokers in your area, and their videos on Youtube as well.
  • Options
    @Oddjob27 Welcome. Nice to know you're carrying on a tradition started by your Grandfather. My grandfather was an old Mafia man and the only thing I inherited from him was a love of Italian food and the smell of gunpowder.  
  • Options

• Options
    @motie2- Have you by chance asked the administrator to create a separate tab for this? 

Possibly call it <Welcome New Members> or <Newcomer Intros> or something? 

Would be nice to see and welcome those that come on board. Just asking.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited January 2018
    @Charles -- Well, there's a "Welcome to the Pack" folder, but I didn't think that was specific enough..... and anyways, "Pack"????
  • Options
    @motie2- I was referring to a click-on tab under <Categories> such as and in addition to Ask an Expert or General as listed in the left margin.
  • Options
    Ah. Well, no, then.