Home General
Options

New to the forum? Introduce yourself!

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Well @PappyJoe, there's not a whole lot to share. I gave pipe smoking a try back in my 20's, even though I'm a longtime Lord of the Rings fan I think I was more inspired by Sherlock Holmes at the time. I picked up a pipe and tobacco at Thrifty Drug Store and, not having a clue about packing or anything really, stuffed the bowl full, lit up and started to puff away. Needless to say it was not an enjoyable experience. Although I hadn't felt the urge to try again after that I've always found pipe to be cool and a nice pipe a joy to look at.
    Recently while reading a Sherlock Holmes book I decided to check and see about finding a Holmes style pipe (much easier to find then a good deerstalker hat) and starting reading about pipes and tobaccos. So I figured to give smoking another shot. So far, so good. While no where near prefect I think i'm getting the hang of packing but I need to learn to slow down and sip instead of puffing.
  • Options
    I've been out of commission for the past few weeks because of work but I'm thrilled to see some new members! Welcome one and all! Glad to have new additions to the awesome group we have here. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I've been out of commission since March because of two surgeries and continuing health problems, but I'm thrilled to see some new members! Welcome one and all! Glad to have new additions to the awesome group we have here. 

(Thanks to @Kmhartle for the "template"))
  • Options
    Great to have you back @Kmhartle and @motie2
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Not "back" yet. Appointment at urologist at 10:30am this morning. Wish me luck. Suprapubic catheter either comes out or it doesn't.....
  • Options
    Good luck Gordon, hope all goes well. :):)
  • Options
    Hey y’all,
    I’m Jarrod and finding the pipe at 29 after my girlfriend gave me one as a gift because she likes the smell. I found the site through Country Squire Radio and am enjoying the heck out of learning all about the pipe, I look forward to learning more here!
  • Options
    Welcome@AeroVelo101, glad to have you with us!
  • Options
    Glad to see new members. Welcome!
  • Options
    Welcome to the group @AeroVelo101.  Feel free to explore the past pages and just jump into a topic, start your own, or just and share posts and photos!
  • Options
    Greetings and welcomes to all! This is a great community here.
  • Options
    AeroVelo101
    Great group / community here, very knowledgeable and helpful.
    Welcome 
  • Options
    Welcome to the newcomers @Ron191 @mapletop @Fozzie @Corvettejim @BDhella @BadCalvinist @RandyB1966 @Jblee99 @Praider8 @qmechanics @oldnewbee and others I may have missed. I keep forgetting to come to this post to welcome the newcomers, so I tried to get all the ones I may have missed over the past few weeks.    
  • Options
    Hello. I'm new to this and I really enjoy the discussions. Smoked a pipe off and on most of my adulthood and recently became full time. Bob
  • Options
  • Options
    @Azmtnboy Welcome to the group Bob. When you find the time it might be helpful to scan through the archive and check out some of the useful tips and discussions we're had over the past year or so which might enhance your smoking pleasure. Topics like the pipe review post have saved me a lot of time and money. A little heads-up is always nice. And after a while here you'll know which members have a similar flavor profile as your own. I'm an aromatic smoker which is reflected in many of my positive reviews on the sweeter blends. Whereas you'll also find the reviews of many true tobacco connoisseurs with a preference for English and Var-Per straight tobacco flavors. We cover the gamut.        
  • Options
    Azmtnboy
    Welcome Bob, while I'm fairly new around here myself, I can say with no hesitation that this is a great community of folks who are knowledgeable, civil and on occasion  mirthful. So jump in and enjoy.
  • Options
    RandyB1966RandyB1966 Enthusiast
    BeardedPiper09 welcome this is a good group that is very friendly and lots of good knowledge to consume.
  • Options
    Praider8Praider8 Professor
    edited August 2018
    @Azmtnboy welcome Bob! @AeroVelo101 welcome Jarrod! This is a great group of guys with a lot of knowledge. Sit back, read up, and enjoy the ride!
  • Options
    Hello, I am brand new to pipe smoking.  It seemed like a relaxing hobby.  I am trying to learn all I can to make the experience better.
  • Options
    @Maxpwr12 welcome and be sure to take full advantage. There are a lot of knowledgeable guys in this group. Ask any questions you may have and these gentleman will be more than happy to help. 
  • Options
    Hello everyone. I'm a long time cigar smoker.  Is there any good pipe 101 videos for me? I'm new to the pipe scene.  
  • Options
    Welcome @Wacorkmc! I'd recommend going through MuttonChopPiper's video series on YouTube: https://youtu.be/OXf9IZE3VqE

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited September 2018
    See also https://www.alpascia.com/moments/en/detail/23/suggerimenti-per-chi-vuole-ini

Al Pascia's Tips for new pipe smokers
    Pipe: The important thing is to start

Whatever you take up, whether a serious activity or just a hobby, it’s always hard to start without at least some preliminary preparation. It’s best to stop and look at the type of instructions and recommendations involved. For anyone who has never smoked a pipe before and is tempted by such a special world made up of gestures, sensations and nuances, we believe there should be as few instructions and rules as possible.  A world that may be personalized by the beginner with experience. It takes little to master the art of pipe-smoking as there are only a few things to know. All you need is time and plenty of enthusiasm. 

Things you need

Obviously a pipe. Buy a good, simple model, but not too expensive. One example is the classic “straight pipe” which is easier to use for a first-timer. You’ll find out with practice what you like or don’t as regards practical aspects or taste. The second essential thing you’ll need is tobacco. You will have time to experiment, but when selecting tobacco at the beginning we advise you to buy good quality tobacco, which is neither too strong nor too aromatic. This may also depend on whether you are switching to a pipe from cigars or cigarettes, or if you have never smoked before. In any case, we are available if you need any advice on this. The third thing is a pipe tamper. This small, multi-purpose tool serves to pack the tobacco, and may have three parts to it: one end is flat to press down the tobacco, another is pointed (called a “reamer”) to unblock the passage of the air and the third is a tiny spoon to empty the pipe bowl.

The fourth thing is something to light up your pipe with, preferably a match (buy a box - you’ll need it!) or else a gas lighter. The fifth thing is a pipe cleaner, better still a packet of them. Lastly, a small pouch or bag to keep everything together is quite handy.

Packing the pipe

Make yourself comfortable with everything you need to hand. Now, take a small wad of tobacco and fill the bottom part of the bowl, not too tightly, then repeat this twice, until the bowl is full.  Here, it’s important to remember not too pack the tobacco too tightly, or too loosely, using the pipe tamper. The second and third wad should be compressed slightly more than the bottom wad. How you pack the tobacco in the bowl is important, because if there is not enough air flowing through the tobacco then it will not burn well and be hard to draw on, just like a chimney. When you puff on the pipe you will see at once if it is too tightly packed. Draw on the pipe while you are filling it as this way you will see if air is passing through or not. Knowing when the pipe is just rightly packed is when you draw on the pipe, rather like sucking a drink from a straw. If you pack the pipe too loosely, you will be sucking in air, or too tightly and you will be making too great an effort.  After some trial runs you will get the hang of this, and if you realize you haven’t pressed down the tobacco enough, try pushing it a little more, or if there is some resistance when you draw on the pipe, it’s best to empty the bowl and repeat the process. Fill the bowl so that there is a little space between the tobacco and the rim of the bowl and the tobacco is level.  Remember that as you gradually add each layer of tobacco and press it down, the pressure shifts to the lower layers and the entire tobacco wad becomes more compact.

Lighting your pipe

Before you start, choose either a match, which is simpler to use, or a lighter, which is preferable for first-timers. Either way, you’ll get a flame and the flame burns. In particular, when the flame is moved over the surface of the pipe while you are puffing on it, the flame will be drawn into the tobacco. If you use a lighter hold it in a horizontal position to the pipe bowl. Practise holding the lighter in such a way that you don’t burn your fingers! Now it’s time to light the pipe. Put the pipe to your lips. You will get used to holding it between your lips, depending on the type of pipe. Using a match or lighter is the same, although a lighter has a stronger flame. Move the flame in a circular motion on the surface of the tobacco so as to light it all up while taking a series of gentle puffs. The tobacco must be entirely lit up and when it is it starts to swell. Now use the tamper to tamp the tobacco gently over the whole surface so that the flame goes out, and then relight it. If the tobacco swells again, repeat the process, and relight. Now you are ready to smoke.

Smoking

What you have to master here is the intervals in which you take a puff, which is essential for a pipe smoker. Take a few slow gentle puffs regularly. In this way you will enjoy the tobacco’s aroma and avoid letting the pipe go out. If the pipe is about to go out, don’t insist on drawing on the tobacco. Let the pipe go out and then relight it, which is part of the ritual of smoking a pipe. The pipe bowl and smoke may get too hot if you puff too often. In that case let the pipe go out and leave it to rest a little. If the pipe starts “gurgling”, it means that there’s too much moisture in the pipe bowl or stem (shank) which needs to be removed. Run a pipe cleaner through the stem, remove it and continue smoking. However, if you find it hard to draw on the tobacco at a certain point, this means that air is not flowing freely and the pipe is blocked. Unblock the pipe by pushing the reamer from the tamper tool (or any long pin) through the tobacco in the bowl. Do not smoke the tobacco right to the end, as the little unburnt tobacco left is too moist and full of nicotine.

After smoking

Now you need to clean your pipe. Make sure your pipe is cool first. Here again you need the tamper tool, using the reamer and small spoon to empty the bowl thoroughly. Be careful: never knock your pipe against a hard surface, and never if it is still hot. Once you have emptied the bowl run a pipe cleaner first through the stem and then bend the cleaner to clean the bowl. Finish by blowing through the stem to dislodge any residue. If you want to clean the pipe even more thoroughly you can remove the mouthpiece from the shank, and many people do this without difficulty, but remember never to do this while the pipe is still hot. Now the pipe can rest, ready for the next smoke.

Breaking in a new pipe

A brand new pipe bowl is clean, but needs breaking in. In other words, as time goes by a thin layer of carbon (called “cake”) gradually forms on the internal walls of the bowl, which protects the pipe from damage and excessive heat, absorbs moisture and provides a smoother smoke. The breaking in takes place as soon as you start smoking the pipe and a cake is formed. Occasionally you can find pipes that are sold already broken in with a cake artificially applied on the internal walls of the bowl. Otherwise this process is up to the smoker, which usually takes a few weeks, depending on the frequency of smoking. When you first start smoking a pipe, be careful as the pipe tends to heat up quickly, as it is not yet protected by the cake of carbon. Let the pipe rest for a day between smokes.

Al Pascià
  • Options
  • Options
    Welcome new members!
  • Options
    20 year cigar smoker, still am. Late father smoked only pipes.  When cleaning out stuff, I found one of my dad's old pipes.  Decided to try it. Was getting pipes and vigars catalog anyways.  Ordered  a pipe starter kit, enjoyed  it.   Went on u tube,  learned of smokingpipe.com. saw the cpt black  sampler ordered it and a savineli estate pipe sitting here smoking the cpt cherry.feelng nostalgic for dad. Wish he was here to smoke a bowl. Haven't drank while smoking a pipe but drink of choice for cigars is jim beam apple.  Ex Michigan and Georgia cop, now in vero beach Florida. Anyone on here in vero area. Would love to make new freinds, unless your a buckeye fan.

• Options
    During my extended illness, many new members have joined us here at TPL. Welcome, gentlemen!

We look forward to your participation and contributions. If you have any questions about the site, pipes, or tobacco, just ask anyone on TPL and they will help you find the answer.

Avail yourself of the FREE PIPE SMOKING LIBRARY folder. Tell me what you want and I'll post it for downloading. Again, glad to have you all join us!!!!