• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    <<Place holding post to keep the folder near the top for newcomers.>>
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    <<Place holding post to keep the folder near the top for newcomers to find.>>
  • Options
    @motie2 - Really great idea!  Would be nice if the administrators could create a permanent folder.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    The trick would be anchoring it, or this folder to the top of the pile.
  • Options
    @motie2 - it can be done by the admin. We just need her to do it.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    When I go to the general topic and see a badge number with unread posts in this section I keep thinking it is someone new introducing themselves. Now someone is going to do the same thing and just read this post. Sorry.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @NicoleSTGLaneLtd -- How do we get this done, Milady? 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
  • Options
    @motie2 - Seems as though our administrator has deserted us.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
  • Options

Welcome to all the new folks who have joined recently, we are happy you all decided to join us!

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Thanks, @xDutchx . Now I don't have to post my place holding post today....
  • Options
    @motie2, Even Michael Jordan needed an assist from time to time. :^)
  • Options
    randellirandelli Enthusiast
    Hey guys-

New to the site and thought I would post in this folder so @motie2 would not have to leave a placeholder...

I live outside of the DFW area, just to the West, so I get into Fort Worth quite a bit. I have been a part of the Lone Star Pipe Club for over a year and enjoy meeting with the group on the second Tuesday of the month at Pop's Safari Lounge. I learned about he Country Squire podcast through the group and have started listening to Bo? Beau? and John David on my commute. To close the loop, I found out about This Pipe Life through their podcast. I hope to be able to share and learn from the group.

I have been smoking a pipe for a little over 1 1/2 years now. I have amassed a collection of estates - primarily Kaywoodies - but have just recently bought my first new and fairly expensive (for me at least) pipe. I am working through about 20 tobacco blends that were either gifted, or I picked up along the way, and I have put together 4 personal blends through my local pipe shop.

Other than that I lead normal life with work, family, etc.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @randelli -- "Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!" ~John Oliver's opening greeting

We're delighted you've joined us. We look forward to your comments and contributions. 

@ghostsofpompeii seems to be our resident Kaywoodie guy, but you're apparently a real collector. You also outstrip many of us (especially me) in tobacco on-hand. 

So, tell us: Aromatic, Virginia/Perique (when I type VaPer, folks confuse it with vaper.....), or English blends? 

• Options
    I won't say that I am a collector, although, I am proud of my Kaywoodie Hi-Bowl collection. Those are pretty special late 60's pipes that have tall chimneys and long thin stems. All my other pipes are no-name except for my Peterson, Dunhill, and Chacom.

As far as tobacco preferences - yes! I do like some aromatics like 1Q and Old Toby. Virginia's and VaPers are great. I like Burley blends. and love Latakia! I even like 1792 and Black XX Twist on occasion. Oddly though Peterson Irish Flake kicks me to the curb....
  • Options
    @randelli - Welcome from SE Louisiana from someone raised in SE Texas. Now all we have to do is get you smoking some Savinelli's and you'll be set.

I started to make a joke about you being up in cowgirl land but it would probably just have gone over your head. LOL
  • Options
    dabunny11dabunny11 Newcomer
    My name is Robin, but I go by DaBunny because I collect Bugs Bunny and Looney Tunes everything as well as a very nice pipe collection. I've been a pipe smoker since the age of 19 but without much knowledge about how or what to smoke. Now I'm a member of the Low Country Pipe Club (associated with SmokingPipes.com) in Little River, South Carolina. I smoke mostly W.O. Larsen and love Frog Morton tobaccos. I found this site a few weeks ago and found it both entertaining and very informative. Great job.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @dabunny -- Welcome, Robin!!! You need to get together with @ghostsofpompeii, who -- like many here -- is a collector of pipes, tobaccos, but also a lot of pop-culture stuff. Check him out in the THE DAILLY BRIAR PHOTOSHOOT - SHOW US YOUR PIPES & BE CREATIVE discussion folder (It might be on page 2 if it isn't recently updated.)

But more to the point: Welcome! We look forward to the contributions I know you're gonna make.....
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Welcome Mr. Randelli. The Texas Pipe Show is just around the corner and it seems like you are lucky to live just down the road. Your tastes seem to be expansive.

Also to Mr. DeBunny. A fellow Frog lover is always welcome here.
  • Options
    I joined in May but still consider myself a newcomer. I live in Norman, Oklahoma. I've been smoking a pipe since college (1986). I love Petersons and Savinellis and have recently started collecting "old briar" estate pipes (Kaywoodies, Yello-boles, etc.). I typically smoke non-syrupy aromatics and lite English blends... currently lovin' Frog Morton. I have a non-official pipe club that meets on my back porch. I too was introduced to TPL via the Country Squire Radio podcast... love Jon David & Beau. I'm a leadership consultant/executive coach and travel quite a bit. So I enjoy exploring local pipe shops while traveling. I'm blessed with a wife who's a rock star (literally) and 3 amazing kiddos!
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    NORMAN OKLAHOMA! That's where Rockford is from. Well, Mr. Gardner, but it's the same thing. Very cool. Noah Beery wasn't from there but is famous for his pipe.

noah-beery-jr.

I usually put the exclamation point after OK and in this case it's actually appropriate, how about that.

Welcome Mr. Freedy. 

• Options
    @Philip Mr. Randelli is my DAD!! haha  The Texas Pipe Show is much anticipated around here. It will be held where our club meets for our monthly get together and it is such a cool place. I understand that pipe clubs from Dallas, Waco, Austin, and Houston are also involved in the planning so there going to be a great bunch of guys there for sure! Anyone from the area should check out our little group at the next meeting - Aug 10, 7 PM, at Pop's Safari Lounge.

@PappyJoe I have my eye on a Savinelli 402! I am a sucker for cutty pipes.... Not sure about the cowgirl reference, oh wait, you must be talking about football. Do you know why Ft Worth does not have a professional football team? Because if they did.... Dallas would want one too! Ba-Dum-chsss

• Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    edited July 2017
    @Philip  Yes, we're pretty proud of James Garner in Norman. We even have a street named after him (with a statue). 

james-garner-1
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    I went to the guy that made some hats for Mr. Gardner and had him make one for me. Mr. Gardner never forgot where he was from, I was always such a big fan.
  • Options
    @randelli - at one times the Cowboys were my 6th or 7th favorite team in the state of Texas. I was born in Pt. Arthur and graduated high school in Beaumont.

On another note, I dated a girl named Debbie from Dallas for a couple of years. She tried hard to live up to her name.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master

(Bone tired after a nine hour drive. More tomorrow.)

And welcome all recent members!!!!