Home Tobacco Talk
Options

What are you guys smoking right Now?

Comments

• Options
    @KA9FFJ, @opipeman
    Well, using that crap Sutliff tobacco as a “soaker upper” worked beautifully.  It didn’t impart much of a flavor, and I didn’t expect it would.  I dumped it with the dottle, it was a good use for a crap tobacco.  I have also used Nording Keystones in my Tsuge’s and Falcon…and the Nording pipe I have that was designed to use them in.  I think the Keystones would work in a Kirsten as well.  Crap tobacco should work as well in any of them, but it might be kinda messy in a Kirsten.
    P.S. That HH Rustica almost “got me”, it’s has some pretty high Vitamin-N.  It smoked to the bottom to dry ash.  I wouldn’t want to load a big bowl with the stuff🙂
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    I don't see why you would want to put Keystones or anything else in the body of a Kirsten as the aluminum "body" is designed to trap the moisture and all you have to do to remove it is to take the valve off and wipe it out. 

Maybe I'm missing something. 
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited March 14
    Doing some McCrannies Plymouth in a restemmed Rhodesian meer. 
    I bought this meer years ago without a stem for 3 bucks!
    I was able to get the majority of scratches out, but still has a few that are still visible. IMHO, nothing to really limit the overall appearance of the pipe.
    I then bought a stem for about $9 off ebay and there you have it.
    Go ahead, call me cheap... 😏

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Forgot to tell you. I'm having a good hot cup of joe while enjoying this blend.. 

• Options
    @PappyJoe
    Yes, I don’t use anything in my Kirsten’s, but one could.  A few stones might help with cleaning?  The stones would soak up the moisture, then you could just dump them out and let them and the pipe dry?
  • Options
    There were a bunch of rowdy leprechaun’s running around here earlier.  They spilled some “Irish Dew” into my coffee.  Another benefit to no job, day drinking….and piping.  I have my Pete SPD 2015 loaded with some Peterson’s “St. Patrick’s Day 2018” tobacco.  This pipe was an awesome Emerald green, but the tiny bit of light or heat or age has washed it out🙁.  I have since faced the bottom of the pipe out in the rack to get light? to fade it the rest of the way.  At some point, I plan on polishing the original finish and stain off, and re-staining it green.  This particular 2015 vintage Peterson has a crap vulcanite stem as well, it “turned” way too soon.  The picture does not really show the oxidation.  As a side note, I keep my blinds drawn tight, and the only windows in the room with the pipe cabinet are to the North and South.  Not what I would call a “sun filled” room.
  • Options
    edited March 14
    I forgot to mention about the strange flavor that came through in the Falcon with the Sutliff “tobacco soaker-upper” experiment for a few puffs.  It was very strange, and bad.  I figured it out fairly quickly.  I had just pet Felix, and apparently, I had a few furs on my hand when I went to tamp…the static “sucked” one into the bowl.  Burning cat fur…nope😖.  It was almost as bad as the vulcanite particles I swept off my table with tobacco spill overs awhile back😖.  I did that again today after taper drilling and chamfering the stem and tenon on the St. Pat’s Pete😖  *bleck*. 🤢. I would not recommend either as tobacco “flavorings”.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar oof to the cat hair. Glad to see everyone kicking around. It’s been an age since I had a bowl but tonight it’s back to basics with a cob and some American cut plug from watch city cigar. Just Virginia and burley and a hint of something sweet with maybe a little spice like note. Not too much thinking just enjoying.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    I normally don't like the "holiday" pipes produced by Peterson but I do find the bowl on that one interesting. If I was in the market for a new pipe and saw that one, I would have to consider it.

Speaking to the cat hair issue, it reminds me of back when the Coast Guard used to allow "celebration events" for different milestones (Crossing the Equator, Dateline, Arctic Circle, Antarctic circle or getting promoted to Chief Petty Officer). Back in then, it was always suggested that the person getting promoted bring a box of cigars to the party. Not naming names because I'm not sure the statute of limitation has expired, but one new Chief bought a box and then carefully inserted dog hair into the tobacco. Made for an exciting initiation. 
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    @PappyJoe
    Ruining a cigar, but funny.
    Hope they were Swisher Sweets...😏
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    Rumor has it, the incident took place in Miami which had a vibrant Cuban community called "Little Havana." 
    The guilty party supposedly was taken there by a friend and was able to buy a two 25-stick bundles of $1 hand rolled cigars. Best part was that since the buyer was wearing his Coast Guard uniform at the time, the Cuban proprietor sold them for 50¢ a stick. 

I was told that the cigars - minus the dog hair - were pretty good smokes. 
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited March 15
    Birds are like any other animal.  I don't mind them as long as they aren't destructive and/or don't make a mess on my property.
    Squirrels found that out the hard way last fall when they tried to make a nest in an oak tree next to the house. They had twigs, branches and leaves all around that tree. It looked like a war zone. Let's put it this way. If they do it again this fall, it will DEFINITELY be different squirrels than last year.
    I digress. Spent 30 bucks and all morning measuring, cutting and putting up wire mesh to keep the birds from trying to nest under my pergola on my back deck! 
    One of them was a robin. She set there in a nearby tree (go figure), and watched me successfully seal up any further attempts to set up residence. It seemed as if half of the materials she was bringing in wound up on the deck, not to mention bird droppings everywhere!
    After putting away my tools, etc., I went back to admire my work. Would you believe she was flittering around my deck still trying to find a spot to set up home?!
    She flew back to a nearby tree and just stared at me. 
    I called her a bird brain, but it didn't seem to phase her.
    Shook my head, walked back into the house and continued  my humble meer rotation by loading some Spring Time (appropriate huh?) into a Zouave meer.
    Presently enjoying a break from nature...

• Options
    Peterson Atlantic with some Nougat.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe
    In case you were interested, that Peterson pipe shape is a #68.  I only like some of Peterson’s Holiday pipes, the reason I will probably never collect a full set.  I do not like rusticated pipes.  This particular pipe just caught my eye, even with the carving, it looked somewhat “Celtic”, and the combination with emerald green was awesome……before it faded🙁
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar

I'll have to keep my eye out for one like that. It the carving that I'm interested in and I actually don't mind the color that it has faded to. 
  • Options
    edited March 15
    @PappyJoe
    Ahh, the carving.  So far, the only Peterson’s with that carving or even anything similar are these 2015 St. Patrick’s Day editions.  The carving is what drew me to this pipe as well, well the combo green/black staining, the silver colored & green sandwich shank accoutrement, it all just worked.  It was the first Pete St. Pat’s I ever purchased.
  • Options
    edited March 17
    Tonight it some Peterson’s “St. Patrick’s Day 2016” tobacco in a Peterson 2017 SPD pipe shape B56.  I love the Shamrock & Celtic Knot design on the band, and the emerald green stain is still beautiful.  I wish they would have inlaid an aluminum “P” in the stem instead of this generic foil stamp.  
    P.S. This pipe has been stored in its box, out of the sun.
  • Options
    In keeping with the March Meer. theme, I loaded up me big bent meer. with some "Casey Jones Hero's Blend". Man... that is some good tobac. The Meer isn't coloring well, but it holds a lot of tobac so all is forgiven.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited March 17
    Well, this is as close as I can get to a smoking celebration of St Patrick's Day.
    Doing some Erin go Braugh in a MM Emerald.
    I know it's not a meerschaum, but since it does have that name attached to it, I'm going to count it for MMM...😏
    Happy St. Pat's day to all tomorrow.

• Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @RockyMountainBriar
    So is sutliff crap tobacco?  How do you really feel about it? 😂
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Two positive votes for Sutliff blends: Barbados Plantation, and especially Blue Danube, introduced to me by my Secret Santa.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Great looking Peterson and huge bowl.  How long a smoke is that?  
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Relaxing with Sutliff Creme Brulee in a KIKO prince meer while enjoying a little St. James Red Velvet wine...

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Breaktime from pipe work.
    Doing some Sutliff Pana Cota in a CAO Cavalier meer...

• Options
    @Londy3
    It is a bit of a stack, but I’m not sure?  I get 45-60 minutes out of what others probably consider small bowl pipes.  Maybe I’ll load’er up tonight….nah, I actually have a new Pete POY in the same shape, maybe unsmoked at this point.  I have to find it.👍🏻
  • Options
    edited March 19
    Gathering data for @Londy3 this evening.  I found my Pete 2014 POY shape (B65) and compared it to the Pete 2017 SPD (B56).  The specs are nearly identical, the only difference is that the B64 has thicker chamber walls.  The dimensions I listed are from my actual measurements of each with a caliper.  The chamfered rim is deceiving.  I touched this bowl off at 7:53PM…..we will see how long it smokes.  Update to follow.
    Oh, by the way, my old favorite, C&D “Espresso” is the fuel for this evening, and the Montana Whiskey Company’s Bourbon is on deck for consumption as well…..neat.

Note:  I have smoked this pipe a few times.  I bought it as an estate, and the heel was either drilled or reamed too deeply, about 2mm below the airway.  You may notice that I raised the heel with some “pipe mud”.  It’s like concrete.  It’s probably been, at least, a couple of years since I last smoked this pipe.

• Options
    edited March 19
    @Londy3
    All the way to a nice gray ash without any moisture or stem gurgle…what an awesome smoker and tobacco👍🏻
    Time Out- 9:58, so a total time of 2 Hours 5 minutes.  Beautiful!
    Now, if I could just do that without any relights.

• Options
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Wow, that was awesome.  Thanks so much. I have 2 pipes with what I consider large bowls and I can get 45min to an hour in each.  I will snap a photo for ya